PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday to Legendary Gil Askey!

test

loveblind
03-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Gil Askey was born in Austin Texas, March 9, 1925.
He played as a jazz trumpeter for almost 25 years before coming to Motown records to work as a Musical Director, Producer, songwriter and Musical Arranger, for such artists as Gladys Knight, The Temptations, The Supremes, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder., The Jackson Five and the legendary Funk Brothers. Askey was also part of Motown’s Artists Development crew that also included Maxine Powell, Maurice King, Cholly Atkins and Harvey Fuqua.

Askey studied music at the Boston Conservatory of Music and the Harnett School of Music in New York.
He has played with some of the biggest jazz legends such as Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington and even did a duet with the Billie Holiday.

Berry Gordy often called Askey "The glue that kept everything together" as he was a good entertainer as well. When things got out hand during a show in Antwerp Belgium that starred the Four Tops, Askey leaped on the stage and played trumpet amazingly until the audience calmed down. Gil was also the arranger and conductor for the Supremes during their successful runs at the Copa night club in New York. He pretty much put the whole show together.

When Diana Ross became a solo performer, she hired Askey to be her Musical Director. He worked with her for 10 years and also wrote the score for her very first motion picture “Lady Sings The Blues. Askey later worked with Curtis Mayfied ,writing and arranging for his Curtom Record Company..
Gil is still very active. He teaches and mentors young aspiring musicians and he still tours playing many jazz spots around the country. He truly played a large and imperative part in the Motown success story.

bankhousedave
03-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Many happy returns Maestro.

ralpht
03-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Definitely a GIANT in the music business. all the best, Gil.

jsmith
03-09-2012, 07:20 PM
So when did Gil Askey pitch up at Motown, around 1962 when EVD did ?
I know they were both members of Crazy Chris Columbo's group around 1959 / 1960.

robbert
03-10-2012, 12:20 AM
He was "the conductor that drinks", remember? Diana owes him a lot.
Turning 86 is fabulous. Mr. Askey is one of the few lucky ones.

nomis
03-10-2012, 02:04 PM
One of the true rocks of the Motown empire..

bankhousedave
03-10-2012, 07:24 PM
I have an interview I haven't edited or posted yet with Mickey Stevenson. MIckey was in a bar on his travels when he heard this awesome jazz group. He asked the barman who was behind it and was introduced to Gil. He told the maestro that he was needed at Motown, especially to help them finish numbers on stage. The records faded, but the live performances either fell apart or had those terrible cadences. Gil put his affairs in order and headed for Detroit. This is not a transcript of the interview, but what I remember from it. I will get around to fixing up the interview and posting it as soon as possible. The last time I talked with Paul Riser, he and Gil were working together again. There's about thirty years between them but Gil seems nearer to being a teenager. I give thanks for their greatness and talent and hope more genius wil come from the collaboration.