PDA

View Full Version : Scherrie, Mary, Susaye reunion?

test

luke
09-05-2010, 10:00 PM
In interview that came to me from Cindy's yahoo club, Scherrie speaks positively about a reunion of her and Mary and Susaye..."I think it's possible...but never for the entire group." hmmmmm wonder what Mary thinks about this?

topdiva1
09-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Most likely scherrie is dreaming - although i love her - this will not happen!!!!

marv2
09-05-2010, 10:08 PM
I have to agree. Nice thought though. They did have a brief reunion on stage back in 1984 in California. I saw pics of it at the time . It was during one of Mary's shows.

luke
09-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Yes; Mary has said it would have to be her and Cindy and Diana first--and as far as who is willing to perform with who it seems it would have to be Cindy, Mary, Susaye and maybe Jean if not DMC.

topdiva1
09-06-2010, 08:43 AM
None of it REUNION WISE is likely to happen!!! Sad but True!!!!

thelastsupreme
09-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Don't be such a naysayer, TopDiva; you never know what can happen. But, I'm sure you'll know all about the details, since everyone calls you first! ;o) Happy Labor Day all! Keep smiling!

sup_fan
09-06-2010, 12:31 PM
i would assume that Mary will have a difficult time reuniting with the 70s lineups. perhaps MCS but doubtful on the others. just not enough overall public interest. just because there's 10 or 20 of us on here don't mean nothing. a reunion would have to play at a venue or venues. in order to do that you need promoters on board. they're not going to know of the MSS lineup at all. wouldn't even know the MJC lineup really. either has to be a DMC lineup or possibly the entire grouping of everyone. guess that's a DMCJLSS lineup lol. or perhaps DMCJLSSB if you include barbara. or DMCJLSSBB if betty is still alive lol

marv2
09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Sup_fan you are underestimating my friend. There are a lot more people than you would realize that know the groupings of MJC and also Mary, Scherrie and Susaye. We are not talking about a World-Wide massive stadium Reunion Tour. It could be done well and successfully. I don't however see a "reunion" of all those women you mentioned above.

luke
09-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Mary Wilson is doing just fine touring. It becomes MSS touring as The Supremes with these three who have the most going on vocally and charisma wise right now and they would have no problems getting booked in Vegas, Atlantic City, Ct, and all kinds of clubs, theaters...Great to hear from Susaye!

Glenpwood
09-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Mary feels What she has accomplished as a solo is too good to give up to go back to the Supremes and with the concert market being in such a horrid state right now a MSS or MSC lineup would never make it out of the corporate gig, small venues, and gay dance club circuit. It's a shame but it is what it is...

sup_fan
09-06-2010, 04:48 PM
sure - they could play the Russian River Resort or some place like Key West. And I'll MAYBE go along with a smaller Vegas venue, only because they'd be billed at the "Supremes" and that would draw people in

but how can there be a market for a live reunion if we aren't even getting re-releases of albums on a large scale? the hipo stuff is great but that's a small release of 5,000 or 10,000, none of which are sold out yet. I'm not in the field of concert promotion, but i think it's a safe assumption that if you can't sell 5,000 cds, you're not going to be filling up many concert halls. And as we've all said on here a zillion times, we're the ones really perpetuating the legacy of the 70s sups. Motown sure isn't. The girls, generally, aren't. Scherrie and Lynda might do a handful of 70s songs in their shows and cds but it's still mostly 60s hits. so sure MSS could reunite and sing Baby Love, Stop In The Name of Love, etc. and bill themselves as the Sups are get a handful of small stage appearances. but that's about it

marv2
09-06-2010, 05:49 PM
They could get Stevie, John Legend, Smokey or someone to write them a new song.

jillfoster
09-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Oh, for God's sake, Sup_fan... one doesn't have to have a tour to have a reunion. They can get on one of TJ's specials and sing a song or two, and let it go at that. I'd be happy with that. Mary *might* as long as witch Lynda is not involved in any way. Of course, when the CD set comes out, there's always a possiblity for a CD signing event. Something tells me Susaye's got something up her sleeve..

blueskies
09-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Well, that would be cool if Susaye has something up her sleeve in terms of a reunion of some nature. Whatever line-up would be fine to me. I say....come on girls, let's get the party started!

sup_fan
09-06-2010, 07:13 PM
well Jillfoster, if that's all you're wanting then sure hope you hit up the 70s supremes signing for the Anthology set. they were all, cept Mary, there. guess that counts as a reunion in your book. perhaps you should just host a garden party at your house and invite them. they could sing on your patio while you grill out. invite a few friends over and name drinks after the girls.

daviddh
09-06-2010, 08:36 PM
if fans will still go and see Mary live or the Flos ,why would some feel that a MSS reunion would not work. why not. i would go ,especially since i never saw them live. and a reunion doesnt have to be a big tour. it could be a one night event etc. maybe Cindy could be there as well.

marv2
09-06-2010, 09:33 PM
I would go see Mary, Scherrie and Susaye tomorrow! But Luke, there'll never be a reunion billed the way you titled this thread : "Scherrie, Mary & Susaye" , hehehehehehehe........

marybrewster
09-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Don't be such a naysayer, TopDiva; you never know what can happen. But, I'm sure you'll know all about the details, since everyone calls you first! ;o) Happy Labor Day all! Keep smiling!

Miss Susaye, I just adore you. Keep on. :)

marybrewster
09-06-2010, 09:45 PM
I personally think that anything is possible.

Yes, Mary once said that a "reunion" would never happen with any of the ladies until a reunion of Diana, Mary, Cindy happened first.

But what is wrong with a few Mary, Cindy, Scherrie and Susaye appearances, especially with the timing of the soon-to-be-released "70's Volume 2"? I think we have it all in our minds that these "reunions" should be massive tours with sold out shows, HBO specials and new music. I'm happy with seeing these legendary ladies all in the same room, at the same time. It happened once with the "70's Anthology" release. And I think it can happen again.

I think a lot has changed in the last decade or so, and I would almost bet that hearts have softened a bit; eventually all wounds heal. Although each have gone on to have success; either personal or professioonal, I think each of these Supremes value what each member contributed to the group, and know that it is something special to be in such elite company.

bradsupremes
09-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Didn't Jean, Mary and Cindy sing a song or two together at one of the HAL Awards several years back? I think Scherrie was there too.

jobeterob
09-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Does Jean still sing? Or would she need a lot of practice? Would Cindy?

I agree with a lot of what Sup Fan has posted. But I also agree that "reunion" doesn't mean tour. I would love to see any group of these women reunite. And I think they should do it while they can.

I don't see any of them touring very much; perhaps the FLOS. But their markets are very limited. Mostly, it is corporate events and very little in the way of real touring. Their market is very small.

I would say to any and all of them................."Go for it and the sooner the better".

Don't wait for Diana. If some of them can get together even for a "one off" for us old farts, it might encourage Diana to agree to some kind of "one off". Until they get that far, you will never see the Supremes honoured by the Grammys. They might honour Diana but they can't/won't honour the Supremes without Diana being on board.

marv2
09-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Bradsupremes, yes they did. There were a lot of pictures of that HAL Awards online a while back including one of Mary and Jean chatting about something and then some of Mary , Jean and Cindy on stage with others singing.

marv2
09-06-2010, 11:43 PM
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has yet to honor Diana and nor will the Grammys..........

marv2
09-06-2010, 11:44 PM
The Supremes came first and out of that we have the solo careers of Mary Wilson and Diana Ross.

Jean just did some shows this year. There were pictures posted in the old forum. She looked great and someone who attended said she sounded superb!

jobeterob
09-07-2010, 03:20 AM
Marv, unfortunately you want to parallel the careers; a solo career where you sell 6000 CDs total isn't a career in a lot of books. You must be very thankful for Diana's vocals on those Supremes singles that sold so much.

nomis
09-07-2010, 04:43 AM
You have to remember most of the general public wouldnt know Up the ladder or Floy Joy these days..some people would know Stoned Love from Forrest Gump but for the 70s Supremes thats it..I dont mean that in a bitchy way thats just the way it is people know Where,Baby Love,Stop,love child and Someday...I think the devotion on this forum to the post Diana Supremes is admirable,I really do but it loses perspective of the impact the 70s Supremes had which wasnt very much to begin with..they could get small gigs Im sure but to most of the public the Supremes ended when Diana left,,and any sensible promoter wouldnt back a group booking without Diana..better have them making Guest apperances at a Mary gig..thats where the fanbase would be and remember Berry has the power still to stop them marketing the name "Supremes" he still owns it - he let Diana use it but he and Mary havent to my knowledge ever settled their old scores...

luke
09-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Doesnt make sense. If some promoters book SOS, and other Supreme tributes and Mary is booked in Vegas, symphonies, etc, they certainly would book an original Supreme with two other Supremes.

marv2
09-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Marv, unfortunately you want to parallel the careers; a solo career where you sell 6000 CDs total isn't a career in a lot of books. You must be very thankful for Diana's vocals on those Supremes singles that sold so much.

Jobeterob, unfortunately, you want to make Diana Ross "Queen of the Heavens", but she is not. She hasn't had hit in 25 years. If you want to compare female singing artists careers and Diana Ross, you will get your feelings hurt by the facts.

marv2
09-07-2010, 12:49 PM
You have to remember most of the general public wouldnt know Up the ladder or Floy Joy these days..some people would know Stoned Love from Forrest Gump but for the 70s Supremes thats it..I dont mean that in a bitchy way thats just the way it is people know Where,Baby Love,Stop,love child and Someday...I think the devotion on this forum to the post Diana Supremes is admirable,I really do but it loses perspective of the impact the 70s Supremes had which wasnt very much to begin with..they could get small gigs Im sure but to most of the public the Supremes ended when Diana left,,and any sensible promoter wouldnt back a group booking without Diana..better have them making Guest apperances at a Mary gig..thats where the fanbase would be and remember Berry has the power still to stop them marketing the name "Supremes" he still owns it - he let Diana use it but he and Mary havent to my knowledge ever settled their old scores...

Look, let's be honest. Most of the "general public" do not think about Diana Ross either. It wasn't until Michael Jackson died did she get a bit of national press. If we excluded all music and artists that the "general public" has lost track of or forgotten.......[[ let's say 100 million people could be considered the general public ) then all you would have is "Yankee Doodle Dandy", "The Star Spangled Banner" a few Beatles records, some Stones and several Michael Jackson and Madonna songs.....

What happens is as a generation of artists and their original fans get older, they become less influential in "American Culture" sadly, but it is true. I can name 3-4 Elvis songs but not much more. The corporate owned Oldies radio stations must shoulder a lot of the blame as well. They force feed the public the same tired music over and over and over. That is why they know "Baby Love" and "My Girl". Want to verify what I am saying? Go to Youtube and read the comments [[by mostly kids) for videos of those songs.

marv2
09-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Nomis, for the record, Berry and Mary are bosom [[sp) buddies. They reconciled over 20 years ago. Also, Berry didn't let Diane use the name "Supremes". It is my understanding that she had to lease it from Universal-Motown. Help me somebody.....

simplysupreme
09-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Jobeterob, unfortunately, you want to make Diana Ross "Queen of the Heavens", but she is not. She hasn't had hit in 25 years. If you want to compare female singing artists careers and Diana Ross, you will get your feelings hurt by the facts.

What facts? Since you want to compare, Diana's facts are on par with, or better than, the facts of Dionne, Patti, Gladys and Aretha for the last 25 years.

whitesoxx
09-07-2010, 04:29 PM

As long as we're comparing, fact is DianA, as you well know, has scored countless number 1's and top 10's worldwide as a solo artist. The number of hits Ms Wilson has had in her solo career: zero. [[#95 in the Billboard R&B charts is as far as Red Hot went)

jillfoster
09-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Look, let's be honest. Most of the "general public" do not think about Diana Ross either. It wasn't until Michael Jackson died did she get a bit of national press. If we excluded all music and artists that the "general public" has lost track of or forgotten.......[[ let's say 100 million people could be considered the general public ) then all you would have is "Yankee Doodle Dandy", "The Star Spangled Banner" a few Beatles records, some Stones and several Michael Jackson and Madonna songs.....

What happens is as a generation of artists and their original fans get older, they become less influential in "American Culture" sadly, but it is true. I can name 3-4 Elvis songs but not much more. The corporate owned Oldies radio stations must shoulder a lot of the blame as well. They force feed the public the same tired music over and over and over. That is why they know "Baby Love" and "My Girl". Want to verify what I am saying? Go to Youtube and read the comments [[by mostly kids) for videos of those songs.

There you have it. In a nutshell. Perfect post. Let's face it, today's culture is pretty much bankrupt. I mean, Britney spears and Paris hilton for God's sakes! And Angelina Jolie and her damn life raft lips and weird incestuous makeout sessions. Heaven help us all. i'd much RATHER see Diana Ross having hit record after hit record than Britney spears and Hannah Montana.

jillfoster
09-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Nomis, for the record, Berry and Mary are bossuom [[sp) buddies. They reconciled over 20 years ago. Also, Berry didn't let Diane use the name "Supremes". It is my understanding that she had to lease it from Universal-Motown. Help me somebody.....

Berry doesn't own the name Supremes, he hasn't since he sold Motown the first time. [[1989?)

marv2
09-07-2010, 05:53 PM
As long as we're comparing, fact is DianA, as you well know, has scored countless number 1's and top 10's worldwide as a solo artist. The number of hits Ms Wilson has had in her solo career: zero. [[#95 in the Billboard R&B charts is as far as Red Hot went)

Look, I am not even going to waste time going there at this moment. That was all last CENTURY. They are both still touring countless hits or not.

jobeterob
09-07-2010, 06:00 PM
This probably won't bother most posters but Diana Ross has sold 100 million records/cds where she is the lead voice. Mary Wilson sold about 6000 records or cds.

It is not a negative; it is just a fact. Twist it however you want. Scherrie Payne has been on the Billboard Charts more than Mary Wilson; so has Lynda Laurence.

Diana Ross has a voice known to the world ~ hence a Kennedy Centre Honour, a Soul Train Heritage Award etc. There are voices that are known instantly - Aretha, Barbra, Tina, Diana. Perhaps Madonna. Perhaps to a younger crowd, Britney or Beyonce.

Sadly, that list does not include superb singers like Susaye Greene; and it does not include Lynda Laurence, Jean Terrell, or Mary Wilson.

All of these singers are loved by their fans - be they hundreds or thousands; and the love is real. Their success or lack of it doesn't take anything away from it. But sales, awards, chart positions, concerts, tours, Central Park, movies, tv specials ~ they are facts.

You can delude as you must to survive; but you can't concoct what isn't there.

Any reunions would be most welcome and those involved, if interested, should fly at it. For those that want to wait for the big one - well, as one of them sang, "I'm still waiting........." and we likely will wait until our or their final breaths.

nomis
09-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks Marv for your info on the Supremes trademark...Jill..yes pop culture is bankrupt..if kids are finding out about Temptations and Supremes on you Tube more power to them I say...

marv2
09-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Doesnt make sense. If some promoters book SOS, and other Supreme tributes and Mary is booked in Vegas, symphonies, etc, they certainly would book an original Supreme with two other Supremes.

More importantly Luke, that Original Supreme and the two other Supremes actually sang, recorded and performed together as a GROUP in the past which would make it a legitimate REUNION!

marv2
09-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks Marv for your info on the Supremes trademark...Jill..yes pop culture is bankrupt..if kids are finding out about Temptations and Supremes on you Tube more power to them I say...

You are very welcome Nomis. What's great is that they are also learning about people such as Florence Ballard and Paul Williams. They do not all believe that the movie "The Temptations" was real and starred the real members of the Temptations. Although I did have one kid ask me "so......who replaced Effie in the Supremes?" LOL!

marv2
09-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Jobeterob wrote: "They might honour Diana but they can't/won't honour the Supremes without Diana being on board. "

It's been done:
1) The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction - 1988
2) The Hollywood Walk of Fame Star Ceremony - 1994
3) The Rhythm and Blues Foundation Awards - 2003
4) The Hero and Legends Awards - 2004

For some reason they did not feel they needed Diana on board on those occaisions in order to honor The Supremes.

smark21
09-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Jobeterob wrote: "They might honour Diana but they can't/won't honour the Supremes without Diana being on board. "

It's been done:
1) The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction - 1988
2) The Hollywood Walk of Fame Star Ceremony - 1994
3) The Rhythm and Blues Foundation Awards - 2003
4) The Hero and Legends Awards - 2004

For some reason they did not feel they needed Diana on board on those occaisions in order to honor The Supremes.

Wasn't Diana expected to be at R and R Hall of Fame, but she cancelled out? Don't know about the others, but I believe she sent one of her daughters to pick up either the R and B Foundation Award or the Hero and Legends Award. Of course a few years ago in Germany, some music organization honored the Supremes with a lifetime achievement award and Kaaren Ragland and her girls showed up to pick up the award.

marv2
09-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Smark21, yes she was expected at the R and R Hall of Fame, but was a no show. Mary Wilson graciously accepted on behalf of the Supremes and tried valiently to cover for Ross and her absence. Didn't matter. it did not go over well with some ,so there you had Mike Love of the Beach Boys slammin' Ross from the podium during his group's induction speech.

That lifetime achievement award that Kaaren Ragland picked up in Germany on behalf of the Supremes was the final straw that pissed Mary off and made her sue Ragland.

Glenpwood
09-07-2010, 09:53 PM
I'd love to see MSS reunite and take the classic albums approach that seems to be getting so popular on the road these days and perform the "High Energy" and "Mary Scherrie Susaye" album in full in sequence. It would also free them up from the critical fans who claim they shouldn't sing the Ross/Terrell material.

marv2
09-07-2010, 09:59 PM
I hear you Glenpwood. If they only sang "You Are the Heart of Me" and "We Should Be Closer Together" then that would be all I'd need to hear!

jillfoster
09-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Rob..... that is not accurate. Mary Wilson did not sell 6,000 records over her entire career with her voice on lead.

"Floy Joy"- 600,000 copies
"Touch" - 200,000 copies
"Automatically sunshine"- 350,000 copies
"He's My Man"- 175,000 copies
"Red Hot" - 60,000 copies
"Mary wilson"- 6,500 copies
"Walk the Line"- unknown

that 6,000 figure you bandy about is from Taraborelli's book, and it refers to ONLY sales for the 1979 ALBUM, "Mary wilson"....not the single "Red Hot", or any other song in which Mary sang lead.

jobeterob
09-08-2010, 12:50 AM
No.................Randy didn't write that, unless it was in his new book. But it is definitely quoted as her sales figure. But you do have a point - she did share the lead on those songs, although the figures are a little high. But they often are in all these discussions;Diana's sales too.

I was just trying to get Marv to report me to Mary; it has been years since she and I talked.

jillfoster
09-08-2010, 09:35 AM
No.................Randy didn't write that, unless it was in his new book. But it is definitely quoted as her sales figure. But you do have a point - she did share the lead on those songs, although the figures are a little high. But they often are in all these discussions;Diana's sales too.

I was just trying to get Marv to report me to Mary; it has been years since she and I talked.

Not for worldwide, they aren't high. Don't forget, you have the UK, all of Europe, Japan, Australia.

jonc
09-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Nomis, for the record, Berry and Mary are bosom [[sp) buddies. They reconciled over 20 years ago. Also, Berry didn't let Diane use the name "Supremes". It is my understanding that she had to lease it from Universal-Motown. Help me somebody.....

If Berry and Mary are such bosom buddies Marv how come Berry doesn't attend any of Mary's shows? Berry attends every LA show of Diana's. He was at Diana's Nokia concert in June beaming with pride. He was at Smokey's Hollywood Bowl concert in July and at Stevie and Diana's Hollywood Bowl concert a year or so ago.

As for Berry "letting Diane [[as you call her) use the Supremes name" well it's not his decision. The Supremes name is 100% owned by Universal-Motown.

jonc
09-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Look, I am not even going to waste time going there at this moment. That was all last CENTURY. .

But you'll spend time [[daily I might add) trashing Miss Ross about stuff that may or may not have happened decades ago.LMFAO at your blatant hypocrisy.

marybrewster
09-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Back to Scherrie, Mary and Susaye.....

jonc
09-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Back to Scherrie, Mary and Susaye.....

Be nice if a MSS reunion were to happen. We'll just have to wait and see.

marybrewster
09-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I agree jonc. I think all things are possible.

To dream.....the impossible dream.....

daviddh
09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
back to MSS,yes,i would love to see them since i was unable to see them live at the time.it would be nice to see 3 well seasoned entertainers come back and perform together. and since the cd is coming out ,i think ,in october, why not bring cindy on board.
i still think the MSS lp was a kick --- lp.great vocals all the way around and one of their best.

marv2
09-08-2010, 06:57 PM
I agree Davidh. If this reunion came to pass, I wonder how difficult it would be to get them to perform some of the album cuts like "Sweet Dream Machine" etc.

smark21
09-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Some of you die hard fans should get some perspective. You may have been listening to these High Energy/MSS tracks a lot over the years, in fact they're a part of your life. I suspect for Mary Wilson, Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene, by and large they haven't given much thought to most of these songs since they recorded them, especially stuff like Dont' Want to be Tied Down, Til the Boat Sails Away and Come into My Life. If by some long shot they were to reunite for a performance, would they want to invest the time and energy to relearn and rehearse most of this material?

marv2
09-08-2010, 07:56 PM
smark21, you are very smart! As as I would love to go back to 1976-77 and hear The Supremes sing some of these songs, like you, I highly doubt they would. They never sang many of those songs live, then. More than likely they would do a reprise of their show like the Farewell show they were doing when it all ended.

marv2
09-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Here is a rare gem, "Come Into My Life" from their January 1, 1977 Soul Train appearance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koDwxIViy10

jobeterob
09-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Yes but the Grammys won't honour the Supremes without Diana being on Board and present. It's been an issue for quite a few years now. Well you know..........they might...................but it will be one of those announcements: "In Grammys already presented, the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to Diana Ross & the Supremes" and they show some frozen picture of hopefully Mary or Lynda [[as opposed to Karen) holding some kind of trophy. And it's over in 3 seconds.

So, who knows...............it could happen. Never say never.

jillfoster
09-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Some of you die hard fans should get some perspective. You may have been listening to these High Energy/MSS tracks a lot over the years, in fact they're a part of your life. I suspect for Mary Wilson, Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene, by and large they haven't given much thought to most of these songs since they recorded them, especially stuff like Dont' Want to be Tied Down, Til the Boat Sails Away and Come into My Life. If by some long shot they were to reunite for a performance, would they want to invest the time and energy to relearn and rehearse most of this material?

WEr'e talking about Supremes here... most everyone who ever was in the group was more glamour than substance [[Music wise). having said that... Susaye would be the most likely to remember those songs, since the woman is a true musician. Scherrie doens't even remmeber RECORDING half of it, and Mary probably doesn't know the words anymore. It does kind of dissapoint when an artist cares more about the fame aspect than the music aspect [[Susaye being an exception) I can tell you this, Martha can sing acapella damn near every song she's ever recorded. Because those songs mean something to her. I do remember someone say that Cindy hearing songs at the 70's anthology signing said she remembered her vocal parts on those songs. I bet she does!!

marv2
09-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Yes but the Grammys won't honour the Supremes without Diana being on Board and present. It's been an issue for quite a few years now. Well you know..........they might...................but it will be one of those announcements: "In Grammys already presented, the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to Diana Ross & the Supremes" and they show some frozen picture of hopefully Mary or Lynda [[as opposed to Karen) holding some kind of trophy. And it's over in 3 seconds.

So, who knows...............it could happen. Never say never.

You are right about one thing. The Grammys haven't honored the Supremes BECAUSE of Diana. Nope, you'll never see a frozen picture of Lynda accepting A Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award for the Supremes not even if they all have passed on. The children would do the acceptance.

nomis
09-08-2010, 11:41 PM
..it would have been different if Diana had signed with Clive Davis..back in 81...she could have got some of those early tracks Whitney ended up with..Clive liked his artists to get Grammys..

jobeterob
09-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Berry has as much to do with Mary as I have to do with the crazy minister who wants to burn the Qur'an. Straight out nothing. What Berry has done to Mary is tie up the use of all Motown music so she was never able to use it in movies, tv shows or anywhere else.

Mary lives a life and probably is a lot less concerned about any of this balderdash than a couple of her fans.

nomis
09-09-2010, 02:30 AM
Ive never understood the beef..between BG and Mary..what did she do to piss him off for eternity? Marv said theyve made up but Ive never heard that..they havent to my knowledge,been seen together in public ever..I mean lots of people have sued Berry - not just Mary..its a piece of the motown puzzle I dont understand..Its weird..we certainly dont know the whole story of why...

marv2
09-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Ive never understood the beef..between BG and Mary..what did she do to piss him off for eternity? Marv said theyve made up but Ive never heard that..they havent to my knowledge,been seen together in public ever..I mean lots of people have sued Berry - not just Mary..its a piece of the motown puzzle I dont understand..Its weird..we certainly dont know the whole story of why...

Nomis, I can't get into all of it right now [[ I have to get ready for my big Birthday Weekend....Yeah! LOL!) But yes Berry and Mary are close friends and have been for many years. As far as being seen in public together, they have been many times. Go to the thread "My Motown Pics" to see a most recent pic of them together from earlier this year in fact. They speak often [[he calls her!). There is tons of proof of this. So anything else you hear is just wanton hearsay, gossip,etc.

nomis
09-09-2010, 08:08 AM
..Thanks Marv was waiting for you to read that..have a great celebration look forward to your insight...

marv2
09-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Here is another pretty recent one of Mary and Berry [[with Freda Payne). I have some of Berry and Mary kissing and making out too [[ I am just KIDDING! So don't go starting any rumors, hehehehehehehe!) Thanks.

jonc
09-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Berry has as much to do with Mary as I have to do with the crazy minister who wants to burn the Qur'an. Straight out nothing. What Berry has done to Mary is tie up the use of all Motown music so she was never able to use it in movies, tv shows or anywhere else.

Marv2 thinks photos of Berry and Mary make them best friends. It's called PR. I'm sure they like each other but I doubt Mary has had dinner with just Berry in 30 years. I guess a few photos at an event is Marv2's idea of bosom buddies.

Perhaps Mary accompanied Berry to the taping of Marv2's "hush hush" Motown 50th Anniversary Network TV Special.

bradsupremes
09-09-2010, 11:55 AM
They may not be best friends, but I believe that whatever happened in the past is forgiven and forgotten between Mary and Berry. I refuse to believe that Mary and Berry appear to be friends in photos just for PR. The smiles and hugs are too genuine to be phony. I honestly believe they are friends.

During my internship at the Rock Hall, my boss told me how he went out to Mary's house to go through the gowns before they went on display at the Rock Hall and then on tour. This was shortly after Mary's health scare. He said when he walked into her house there was a huge bouquet of red roses. He said Mary proudly said "Those are from Berry Gordy!"

jonc
09-09-2010, 12:10 PM
They may not be best friends, but I believe that whatever happened in the past is forgiven and forgotten between Mary and Berry. I refuse to believe that Mary and Berry appear to be friends in photos just for PR. The smiles and hugs are too genuine to be phony. I honestly believe they are friends.

During my internship at the Rock Hall, my boss told me how he went out to Mary's house to go through the gowns before they went on display at the Rock Hall and then on tour. This was shortly after Mary's health scare. He said when he walked into her house there was a huge bouquet of red roses. He said Mary proudly said "Those are from Berry Gordy!"

Like I said I'm sure they really like each other hence the flowers but I highly doubt they are great friends who see each other socially outside of awards and events. You can like someone, be happy to see them and wish them well without being
bosom buddies. In Show business friends go years without seeing each other and then bump into each other at awards shows where they hug, kiss, have a drink and pose for photos. PR is a big part of the business.

marv2
09-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Here is another recent one of Mary being forced at gunpoint to kiss Berry! [[If you would like to see more, you're gonna have to pay me, hehehehehehe!) The moral of the story is that Berry Gordy and Mary Wilson have known each other for over 50 years and remain close friends today. Anyone saying different, simply do not know what they are talking about.

jonc
09-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Here is another recent one of Mary being forced at gunpoint to kiss Berry! [[If you would like to see more, you're gonna have to pay me, hehehehehehe!) The moral of the story is that Berry Gordy and Mary Wilson have known each other for over 50 years and remain close friends today. Anyone saying different, simply do not know what they are talking about.

Mother Motown has spoken.

captainjames
09-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Hmmm a Scherrie, Mary and Susaye concert or reunion? Well, that would be different or perhaps something will come about from the patiently waiting "The Final Years" collection. They could advertise it as the Final Supremes reunion show or something.

I don’t see a lot of money in this because they can probably draw the same money as a solo performer.

MissLish
09-09-2010, 05:43 PM
That's odd, Marv2; since I was told by a Grammy employee that the Grammy's have twice tried to give Miss Ross a Lifetime Achievement Award, but she declined or was [[or made herself) unavailable and unattainable.

MissLish
09-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Yes we do, Nomis; well, Marv2 does.

jonc
09-09-2010, 05:54 PM
That's odd, Marv2; since I was told by a Grammy employee that the Grammy's have twice tried to give Miss Ross a Lifetime Achievement Award, but she declined or was [[or made herself) unavailable and unattainable.

I'm sorry Miss Lish but if Marv2 says Miss Ross will never get a Grammy then I have to believe Marv2. Lest we forget Marv2 is very well connected to Miss Mary Wilson, Mr. Gordy and Motown/Universal. Marv2 produced a "hush hush" Motown 50th Anniversary Network TV Special and his extensive Motown photography rivals that of Getty Images.

No offense but neither you nor I have those connections or credentials.

nomis
09-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Great to see them together - they achieved so much in terms of racial equality in history to not get on..they might not be bosom buddies but Im glad differences have been cast aside..if anyone can get Mary and Diana to be cordial to one another its BG...

marv2
09-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Great to see them together - they achieved so much in terms of racial equality in history to not get on..they might not be bosom buddies but Im glad differences have been cast aside..if anyone can get Mary and Diana to be cordial to one another its BG...

Nomis - Exactly! What they achieved [[Mary and Berry and all of Motown) was monumental and the fact that they ARE bosom buddies after all these years, after all the drama and the headaches they remain like family. Berry did step in to negoiate for Mary and Cindy during the "Return to Love" tour in 2000, but it was already too late. In his book "To Be Loved" he states that "Mary knows how much I love and respect her......" At the Supremes Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony [[ I have it on video), he prounounces Mary "The Heart and Soul of the Supremes". So forget anything else you've heard here on this board because there are some folks that love drama and acromony. I just put them on permanent "ignore". They'll have to look beyond Mary Wilson and Berry Gordy for it.

MissLish
09-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Miss Lish does apologize; Marv2 is super credible. What was I thinking?

daviddh
09-09-2010, 08:17 PM
i am looking forward to them performing together since i never saw them live anyway. i would enjoy the show. and they can bring our Cindy as well

captainjames
09-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Well, I am sure Mr. Gordy doesn't hate her but buddies ????????????? naw boo I am not triping on that.

jobeterob
09-10-2010, 01:02 AM
In a more serious vein, I totally agree with what Brad wrote on here; I had forgotten this thread.

Of course these people do not see each other regularly, nor are they bosum buddies. But they know they achieved something together and they are forever tied as a result of it. Motown was a family and the ties always remain.

jonc
09-10-2010, 07:15 AM
Nomis - Exactly! What they achieved [[Mary and Berry and all of Motown) was monumental and the fact that they ARE bosom buddies after all these years, after all the drama and the headaches they remain like family. Berry did step in to negoiate for Mary and Cindy during the "Return to Love" tour in 2000, but it was already too late. In his book "To Be Loved" he states that "Mary knows how much I love and respect her......" At the Supremes Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony [[ I have it on video), he prounounces Mary "The Heart and Soul of the Supremes". So forget anything else you've heard here on this board because there are some folks that love drama and acromony. I just put them on permanent "ignore". They'll have to look beyond Mary Wilson and Berry Gordy for it.

LMFAO

You have absolutely zero proof that Berry stepped in during RTL. That's simply another tall tale you've been spinning for years.

captainjames
09-10-2010, 09:56 AM
jonc your right I just read that,,,,,,, he has no proof what so ever. Also, there are many quotes that Mr. Gordy has made in several books, some are nice and some are not so nice.

As far as I am positioned, I wouldn't mind hearing Scherrie, Mary and Susaye again because vocally they were something else and full of High Energy. However, I am not that keen on seeing them together again.

ivyfield
01-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Honestly, I really don't think ANY Supremes reunion will ever happen. Scherrie is very gracious - we are very good friends, but I honestly don't think any show involving Mary will happen, ESPECIALLY a DR&S show. I'm a very positive person and my motto is 'Never say never' but come on, people! The last we saw of Diana Ross & The Supremes - like it or not - was 2000's Return to Love tour. Thank God we now have YouTube and the wonderful clips [[some in SUPREME quality!) that are there for all the World to see, plus many of the very creative video and audio remixes that have been posted too. One of my favourites is the Solange/Supremes mash-up. Very clever and extremely well done! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n96Ag14sUJg Stoned Love, Steve.

marybrewster
01-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Slow news day.....?

REDHOT
01-12-2012, 01:06 PM
I agree Marybrewster,back to Mary,Scherrie and Susaye,i would love to see a reunion,they were the best singing Supremes ever.[[to me)
Please stay positive

tomato tom
01-12-2012, 01:19 PM

You really are an evil bastard

captainjames
01-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Will looks like she is going to get the Honor this year !!

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has yet to honor Diana and nor will the Grammys..........

BayouMotownMan
01-12-2012, 04:41 PM
I think under the right circumstances Mary would agree to a one-shot reunion. I'd definitely be there

BobC
01-12-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm with you, Rick. One shot--but a tour? I doubt Mary would want to share the money she makes as a solo given the fact that touring with any of the other Supremes [[except DR) wouldn't bring in any appreciable additional money.

You know a couple of years ago a friend of mine [[who would know) said there were indeed plans [[top secret) for a DR, MW and CB reunion--but it was going to be a single show at a renowned venue. I've fallen out of contact with this friend, and never knew the details. Can anyone fill in the gaps?

jobeterob
01-12-2012, 06:11 PM
A MSS reunion would be great but not sure where exactly it would be booked. For the fans it would be great.

smark21
01-12-2012, 09:49 PM
You really are an evil bastard

I'm curious how my post suggesting that Mary, Scherrie and Susaye may not be as familiar with the songs on High Energy and MSS as die hard fans would lead you to conclude that I'm an evil bastard.

I recall last month we got into a dust up because you asserted your Xmas was ruined because you wouldn't get your Marvelettes box set in time. I called you out and you replied, giving context to your reaction due to your health situation. We managed to resolve our differences and I thought we were OK with each other as this post from you would imply:

paulo [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/member.php?407-paulo)

file:///C:\Users\CHARCA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image011.pngSenior Member

Aug 2010

smark21..Have a Lovely Christmas and New Year. No Harm done.I hope. I know I was a bit OTT, but hey ho.im only Human, and going through a few serious issues that I should NOT have mentioned on here. Heat of the moment thing. Lets just enjoy the music? YES??/Paulo xxx

Did you forget? Or were you being sarcastic and insincere?

Despite your immature histrionics, I hope your Marvelettes box set will arrive soon, your health will continue to hold out and that you'll enjoy your box set and find some inner peace.

Roberta75
01-13-2012, 09:26 AM
I think under the right circumstances Mary would agree to a one-shot reunion. I'd definitely be there

I would also be there but I doubt there is enough interest for a full blown US tour.

marybrewster
01-13-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm with you, Rick. One shot--but a tour? I doubt Mary would want to share the money she makes as a solo given the fact that touring with any of the other Supremes [[except DR) wouldn't bring in any appreciable additional money.

You know a couple of years ago a friend of mine [[who would know) said there were indeed plans [[top secret) for a DR, MW and CB reunion--but it was going to be a single show at a renowned venue. I've fallen out of contact with this friend, and never knew the details. Can anyone fill in the gaps?

BobC-

I have heard this as well. I no longer remember any of the specifics, but if memory serves me right, this would have been AFTER RTL. Few will choose to believe it, but this came from a very reputable source, and I have no reason to question his credibility.

BobC
01-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi Mary--it was most definitely after RTL. I am positive because I was really surprised that they'd even entertain such a notion after all RTL nonsense. I am sure somebody on this forum knows about this planned reunion.

marybrewster
01-13-2012, 11:51 AM
You're right BobC; I was very surprised to learn of this as well. It seems to me it wasn't that long after RTL and I remember thinking "wow". I wish I could remember more specifics, but I almost want to say that the "reunion" broke down because the function never came to fruition. So that's why I am of the belief that anything is possible. Maybe it's less and less likely, but I'll never say never.

I also think that over the years Diana Ross has "softened" a bit and, with the help of her daughters, truly understands what an amazing legacy she has created. That's why I think you see Diana embracing more of her Supreme days in her recent concerts. I also think it helps that you don't hear much from Mary talking "reunion" or "sisters".

Believe me, their paths will cross one of these days.

bradsupremes
01-13-2012, 12:31 PM
I remember hearing that Diana, Mary and Cindy were going to reunite for the Katrina disaster telethon that was airing on all of the major networks. All three of the ladies agreed to do it, but Diana backed out because something came up that had to do with scheduling or something. I don't remember exactly why she couldn't do it.

I also heard a rumor several years ago that there were plans for a reunion concert at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas and then another rumor about Ivana Trump trying to put together a reunion.

skooldem1
01-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Wasn't there mention of them crossing paths right after RTL? I have the worst memory but I think it was that fundraiser for Hillary Clinton where Diana performed. Someone please fill in the details if you remember. I think Diana was sitting at a table with the Whoopie Goldberg, Cher, and maybe the Clintons when Mary walked up to Diana and said we should talk or something like that. Now I would have LOVED to have been a fly on the wall that evening. LoL.

Penny
01-13-2012, 12:38 PM
There was also a Motown tv special that was talked about here by one of the producers or something. Things fell apart and it never happened. Last time I brought it up I got yelled at by someone here who I now ignore and who is crazy. Anyway, it was reported that DMC would be on that television show. Don't know the truth of it all though. We fans can always hope. It is show business and anything can happen.

Penny:cool:
Avon Rep.

BobC
01-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Hmmm--interesting. Seems like I recall something about Katrina too but I can't swear to it.

Ivana Trump? That is especially interesting because few people know that it was Donald Trump who got the original 5th Dimension back together in the 90's, to play at one of his hotels.

marybrewster
01-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Yes, it was the Hurricane Katrina fundraiser. Thank you for refreshing my memory, bradsupremes. That was the function I was thinking of.

marybrewster
01-13-2012, 01:13 PM
And as far as the relationship with Berry and Mary; how many of us are "good friends" with our boss from 10 years ago, let alone 40 years ago? I've been working for 20 years and have had 100's of co-workers and over the course of time, 20 - 30 supervisors or bosses. I can only think of a handful of co-workers and 1 former boss that I keep in regular contact with. I think their relationship is what it is: based on respect and mutual admiration. Mary isn't 16 anymore and Berry no longer has the ability to "pull one over" on her. Yet they have formed a bond that will last forever.

The same with Martha Reeves. Berry isn't that much older than her, yet she always refers to him as "Mr. Gordy". So no matter what has happened, no matter the outcome of the lawsuits or what was written in years past, these women love this man and the feeling I'd bet is more than mutual.

Roberta75
01-13-2012, 02:08 PM
There was also a Motown tv special that was talked about here by one of the producers or something. Things fell apart and it never happened. Last time I brought it up I got yelled at by someone here who I now ignore and who is crazy. Anyway, it was reported that DMC would be on that television show. Don't know the truth of it all though. We fans can always hope. It is show business and anything can happen.

Penny:cool:
Avon Rep.

Best not to mention that "Motown tv special" Penny. The person who was supposedly involved is also on my ignore list as well.

Happy New Year to you hon.

Roberta

bradsupremes
01-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Wasn't there mention of them crossing paths right after RTL? I have the worst memory but I think it was that fundraiser for Hillary Clinton where Diana performed. Someone please fill in the details if you remember. I think Diana was sitting at a table with the Whoopie Goldberg, Cher, and maybe the Clintons when Mary walked up to Diana and said we should talk or something like that. Now I would have LOVED to have been a fly on the wall that evening. LoL.

You know, I remember hearing something about that happening too. I want to say it was not even a year after RTL that it happened. I thought I heard or read somewhere that they ran into each other at this party, talked for a bit and were very nice to each other.

reese
01-13-2012, 02:23 PM
You know, I remember hearing something about that happening too. I want to say it was not even a year after RTL that it happened. I thought I heard or read somewhere that they ran into each other at this party, talked for a bit and were very nice to each other.

I think it might have even been the same year as RTL: 2000.

smark21
01-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Hmmm--interesting. Seems like I recall something about Katrina too but I can't swear to it.

Ivana Trump? That is especially interesting because few people know that it was Donald Trump who got the original 5th Dimension back together in the 90's, to play at one of his hotels.

That was probably just wishful thinking amongst the fans.

I remember in 2002 or 03, Susaye tried to interest the rest of the Supremes in a TV documentary but several said no to the idea and the project went nowhere. I remember Susaye discussing the proposal and its fate at her Yahoo group.

smark21
01-13-2012, 11:07 PM
I think it might have even been the same year as RTL: 2000.

Yes,it was in LA during the time around the Democratic party convention when Al Gore received the Presidential nomination.

Roberta75
01-13-2012, 11:42 PM
You are correct about this smark21. Bill and Hillary Clinton invited Diana to perform at a big Democratic fundraiser for the Gore campaign in Bel-Air in the summer of 2000. After Diana's show Mary Wilson, who was in the audience went up to Diana and they hugged and chatted for about one minute. I think fans unrealistically magnified this hence the one off DMC reunion rumor.

marv2
01-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Mary Wilson looked spectacular that night! Gorgeous!

luke
01-14-2012, 06:24 PM
I remember hearing about possible Las Vegas New Year's eve performance.