PDA

View Full Version : Motown at the White House

test

jsmith
03-09-2012, 05:45 AM
The Obamas recently paid tribute to the iconic music of Motown by hosting a special Black History Month event at the White House.
In the past [[in Nixon's era; early 70's), Gladys Knight & the Pips performed there [[see pic on thread about Gladys on 'Dancing With The Stars'). Smokey & Stevie have sung there as well.
What a pity the Marvin, who was 'born around the corner' never got to perform at the place.

In conjunction with the Black History Month event at the White House, theGrio has compiled a list of the Top 25 best Motown songs.
......... http://www.thegrio.com/entertainment/slideshow-the-25-greatest-motown-songs-of-all-time.php
Can't say that I agree with a lot of their selections. I'd leave out their Commodores, Supremes, Rick James, Lionel & Diana, DeBarge & Michael Jackson selections and add in more classic 60's / 70's Motown group tracks [[Isleys, Velvelettes, Contours, Originals, etc.)

LadySingsBlues
03-09-2012, 10:14 AM
How can you leave out some of Motown's biggest artists & well known hits? :confused:

paladin
03-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Can't say that I agree with a lot of their selections. I'd leave out their Commodores, Supremes, Rick James, Lionel & Diana, DeBarge & Michael Jackson selections and add in more classic 60's / 70's Motown group tracks [[Isleys, Velvelettes, Contours, Originals, etc.)

Their best certainly isn't my best, I'm in agreement with you. I think I lost it when I saw "Ben" and Lionel & Diana make the list........couldn't bring myself to name the song....lol.....

marybrewster
03-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Many of the Motown stars have performed at the White House over the years:

Diana Ross during the Carter Adminstration [[pictures shown on "Behind the Actors Studio")
Michael Jackson during the Regan Adminstration
Mary Wilson during the Clinton Adminstration [[New Years Eve, 1999-2000)

The Presidency and "celebrity" have gone hand in hand for years; as a way to show how "hip" these politicians are.

I never pay attenetion to ANY "Top" list; it's all a matter of opnion. Unfortunately, the general public won't know who the Velvelettes are, and may only remember the Contours from the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack.

jsmith
03-09-2012, 12:33 PM
RE: Unfortunately, the general public won't know who the Velvelettes are, and may only remember the Contours from the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack.
Fraid I ain't interested in what the general public think or who they remember. I just like top class soul tracks & it don't matter to me if the artist is known or if the track was a hit or not.
Lots of hit records were absolute bilge water whereas some cuts that only sold a few copies were real gems.

marybrewster
03-09-2012, 01:48 PM
RE: Unfortunately, the general public won't know who the Velvelettes are, and may only remember the Contours from the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack.
Fraid I ain't interested in what the general public think or who they remember. I just like top class soul tracks & it don't matter to me if the artist is known or if the track was a hit or not.
Lots of hit records were absolute bilge water whereas some cuts that only sold a few copies were real gems.

If you're not interested, then don't fret over Top 25 lists.

jsmith
03-09-2012, 07:18 PM
But it wasn't the public that rated them as the Top 25, it was theGrio whoever he is / they are.