PDA

View Full Version : 'Together we make such sweet music' The Spinners

test

MarieRoseSauce
03-07-2012, 04:09 PM
I've a soft spot for The Spinners 'Together we make such sweet music' particularly the version that appears on the flip to 'Its a shame' [[VIP label). It was written by two Detroit veterans Richard Drapkin and Marty Coleman.

Imagine my surprise when recently I discovered an earlier version recorded two years earlier by the obscure Joe Towns issued on the Top Dog label. This is obviously the original and presumably became a Motown song shortly after Top Dog closed around 1970.

Towns is mainly recalled for the deep soul of 'Down and Out World'. Anyone know anything about him or how the song came to be placed with The Spinners?

franjoy56
03-07-2012, 11:56 PM
what year did the spinners record twcmssm, was it around 1970, the first time i heard it was when i purchased new ways but love stays album by the supremes
jmc, that version splashed out of the water it should have been a supremes single.

bradsupremes
03-08-2012, 12:31 AM
The Spinners recorded "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music" in early 1970 with it being issued as a single in June. The Supremes & Four Tops' recorded a version for their first duet album together around this same time as well. The Supremes recorded their own version at this time as well which later appeared on their New Ways But Love Stays album in October 1970. Personally, I thought the Supremes' version is the best version. The Spinners and Supremes/Four Tops' duet version kind of drag a bit. They lack the upbeat driving umph that the Supremes' version had. The Supremes' version should have been a follow-up single to "Stoned Love." I think it could have scored them another top 10 hit. All the versions of the song are great, but to me the definite version belongs to the Supremes.

theboyfromxtown
03-08-2012, 05:14 AM
There are 2 versions of the Spinners version. The original version on them which can be found on their album and released as TMG 766

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTWON-SPINNERS-TOGETHER-WE-CAN-MAKE-SUCH-SWEET-MUSIC-TRULY-YOURS-MINT-V-R-/251009390887?pt

and a remixed version on TMG 871

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORTHERN-SOUL-DETROIT-SPINNERS-TOGEATHER-WE-CAN-MAKE-SUCH-SWEET-MUSIC-/130659872625?pt=UK_Records&hash=item1e6bef6f71#ht_500wt_903

The story of the label credits for Motown Spinners and Detroit Spinners is well known. The blurb that came with the second version stated that the track had been remixed and brought up to date. Essentially, it made it sound more like a Philadelphia International recording.

roger
03-08-2012, 05:59 AM
There are 2 versions of the Spinners version. The original version on them which can be found on their album and released as TMG 766

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTWON-SPINNERS-TOGETHER-WE-CAN-MAKE-SUCH-SWEET-MUSIC-TRULY-YOURS-MINT-V-R-/251009390887?pt

and a remixed version on TMG 871

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORTHERN-SOUL-DETROIT-SPINNERS-TOGEATHER-WE-CAN-MAKE-SUCH-SWEET-MUSIC-/130659872625?pt=UK_Records&hash=item1e6bef6f71#ht_500wt_903

The story of the label credits for Motown Spinners and Detroit Spinners is well known. The blurb that came with the second version stated that the track had been remixed and brought up to date. Essentially, it made it sound more like a Philadelphia International recording.

The remixed version of "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music" by THE SPINNERS made the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 on Motown 1235. It debuted on 12th May 1973, spent 5 weeks on the chart and peaked at #95.

The remix, as boyfromxtown has mentioned, made it sound like a newer "philly" production, and was released by Motown after THE SPINNERS had hit with "I'll Be Around" and "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love". A bit of a cynical cash-in IMHO but it worked quite well and I for one rushed out and bought the 45 at the time.

Roger

theboyfromxtown
03-08-2012, 06:35 AM
Roger

I too rushed out to buy the remixed version. However, I felt a little uncomfortable about buying a Motown record which was a cash-in of the Philly Sound. For years, I had successfully steered away from "Mock Motown" released on other record labels and here I was buying a "mock Philly" on Tamla Motown. It confused me!! LOL

robb_k
03-08-2012, 06:46 AM
I didn't know tat Motown bought out Top Dog Records. Did Artie Fields and Joe Towns and The Camel Drivers and come to Motown? I'd bet that Kris Peterson would tell us that she didn't come to Motown in that purchase.

psychedelic jacques
03-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Roger/xtown

Yes, I three rushed out to get the remix back in '73 - the fact was that the Thom Bell era Spinners blew me away in a way that the Motown era Spinners never did, and the remix was so consciously a stab at recreating the Thom Bell sound.

MarieRoseSauce
03-09-2012, 11:33 AM
I didn't know tat Motown bought out Top Dog Records. Did Artie Fields and Joe Towns and The Camel Drivers and come to Motown? I'd bet that Kris Peterson would tell us that she didn't come to Motown in that purchase.

I thought you knew everything about late 60s labels robb k. Surprised you didn't know about the Top Dog label.

tsull1
03-09-2012, 07:56 PM
I really like the tune, it's not my favorite of theirs, but it's a fine song. Bobbie Smith really does a nice job on the lead.

Roger Polhill
03-09-2012, 09:07 PM
I first heard the "Philly" version and was so happy to find out that it was a remix.

psychedelic jacques
03-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Has the remixed version ever appeared on cd? The Spectrum collection [[and of course TCMS) contain the original version.

robb_k
03-10-2012, 06:49 AM

I thought you knew everything about late 60s labels robb k. Surprised you didn't know about the Top Dog label. I have had several Top Dog records since they were out [[several by Joe Towns, Kris Peterson, The Camel Drivers, etc.)I knew that Coleman and Drapkin wrote for them and that Artie Fields owned and ran the label. I knew that they went out of business in 1969. I just didn't know that Motown bought them out.

roger
03-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Has the remixed version ever appeared on cd? The Spectrum collection [[and of course TCMS) contain the original version.

The remixed version is on the "Detroit Spinners Essential Collection" .. issued by Universal/Spectrum in the U.K. in 2001

Going for a nice cheap price too ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Collection-Detroit-Spinners/dp/B00005AVU6

Roger

psychedelic jacques
03-10-2012, 08:56 AM
whoops, my mistake - i've not played the Spectrum cd for some time, and I thought it had the original version on it. Great - all this talk of the remix has made me want to hear it again...

arrr&bee
03-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Good post,i too like this little tune which many might not know unless you are a spinners fan from way back!