PDA

View Full Version : Lalah, ledisi, musiq, crissette, stokley, erykah, bilal & meshell ndegeocello on 1 cd

test

glencro
03-06-2012, 01:20 PM
My latest music purchase and I LOVE IT!!!!

Robert Glasper Experiment's " Black Radio" [[Blue Note Records/EMI), a future landmark album that boldly stakes out new musical territory and transcends any notion of genre, drawing from jazz, hip hop, R&B and rock, but refusing to be pinned down by any one tag. The fi rst full-length album from the GRAMMY-nominated keyboardist's electric Experiment band--saxist/vocoderist Casey Benjamin, bassist Derrick Hodge, and drummer Chris Dave--Black Radio also features many of Glasper's famous friends from the spectrum of urban music, seamlessly incorporating appearances from a jaw-dropping roll call of special guests including Erykah Badu, Bilal, Lupe Fiasco, Lalah Hathaway, Shafi q Husayn [[Sa-Ra), KING, Ledisi, Chrisette Michele, Musiq Soulchild, Meshell Ndegeocello, Stokley Williams [[Mint Condition), and yasiin bey [[Mos Def).

Throughout, the Experiment wears its eclecticism on its sleeve, presenting new collaborative originals and surprising cover songs. They transform the Afro-Cuban standard "Afro Blue" with Badu, Sade's "Cherish The Day" with Hathaway, David Bowie's "Letter to Hermione" with Bilal, and Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" with Benjamin's vocoder vocal

paladin
03-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Sounds interesting........

glencro
03-06-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm really loving this cd. Here's the song with Musiq Soulchild & Chrisette Michell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN0tFgLcp4g

destruction
03-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Not my usual musical hood...a little on the smooth side......but after my third listening....I begin diggin it. Found some more tracks.....and dug it some more.

It's a 7 buck download. In the words of Hound Dog Taylor...."I got money, I'm gonna try it."

Thx.....I probably would not have found this on my own.

glencro
03-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Not my usual musical hood...a little on the smooth side......but after my third listening....I begin diggin it. Found some more tracks.....and dug it some more.

It's a 7 buck download. In the words of Hound Dog Taylor...."I got money, I'm gonna try it."

Thx.....I probably would not have found this on my own.

Glad you gave it a try...forgot to mention the $6.99 download [[another incentive)

paladin
03-07-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm on the Train.........

glencro
02-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Glad that this cd won Grammy for "Best R & B Album" and with very little airplay

splanky
02-14-2013, 06:44 AM
This release and others are part of a larger conversation some of us jazz heads have been
having on and offline for some time now. Obviously it is a determined attempt by Robert,
Es and some others to get jazz back into the forefront of music by bringing in currently popular elements and artists. It's a ground that has been tred upon before as far back as
Guru and Premier's [[Gangstar) experiments and as recent as the work of Terri Lyn Carrington, but not with the success Robert has achieved. There are a lot of other things
at play here and clearly the landscape is again evolving but overall I welcome the change.
Though I'm not a big fan of Chrisette Michelle [[ someone gave me her I Am cd and I found
it too juvenile...) she works in this setting. Anyway here is a link to some of the conversation to this music:

http://frontpsych.com/2012/02/27/not-just-jazz-robert-glasper-esperanza-spalding/

And if you really want to see what really got a pot stirring debate in jazz in recent years check out the
talk about Nicholas Payton's release titled...excuse me...Bitches.....