PDA

View Full Version : the chants

test

honest man
09-05-2010, 03:57 PM
hello been trying to find some songs from this liverpool sixties group, can anyone help find any of the following in mp3 please, here goes 1 come back and get this love 2lovelight 3 wearing a smile 4 a'int nobodys love 5 for you 6 a man without a face 7 i don't need your love 8i get the sweetest feeling 9 candy , any input would be greatly appreciated cheers,

jsmith
09-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Well I know Joe Ankrah who was in the group. These days, still in the music biz, he's the male backing singer at the Prestatyn Soul Weekender.

jsmith
09-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Only 2 Chants tracks [[that I know of) have made it onto CD.
One of these tracks, "Baby I Don't Need Your Love" was included on a Goldmine CD -- 'British Soul Vol.1'.

honest man
09-06-2010, 04:54 AM
jsmith if you get to speak to joe, ask him about the mentioned songs availability on cd, please. ihave the 2 songs from british soul vols, thanks. i have also booked for prestatyn, see you there, cheers

nomis
09-07-2010, 01:49 AM
Honest man - my family grew up in Liverpool Ive asked my older brother and he said he has some Chants hes going to dig them out for me and copy them on cd..if he finds them I will message you and happily send you a cd..nomis

jsmith
09-07-2010, 02:35 AM
If you check the net for info on the Chants you come up with the info that on some of their early 60's gigs, they were backed by the Beatles.
The guys met the Beatles when the Fab 4 were resident at the Cavern & asked about getting a gig at the club. The Beatles said they should just drop down & they could perform. The Chants took them at their word & turned up but didn't have backing musicians. As most of the songs both groups performed back then were covers of US R&B tracks, the Beatles knew the songs the Chants wanted to sing, so they backed them up [[against Brian Epstein's wishes).
Both groups also played on later gigs together at venues such as the concert rooms in Port Sunlight [[just across the Mersey from Liverpool).