PDA

View Full Version : Different editions / edits of Stevie Wonder's "Music Of My Mind"? One for Robbert????

test

Sotosound
03-04-2012, 04:47 PM
How many different edits are there of Stevie Wonder’s “Music Of My Mind” album?

I have the original 1972 UK LP on Tamla Motown and I have the 2000 CD re-issue on US Tamla. Both of these have the same track starts and ends.

I also have, however, a Dutch “Milestones” double LP re-issue of “Talking Book” and “Music Of My Mind” in a gatefold sleeve. I’m not certain of its vintage, but the label is the late 70s blue Motown label as used in Europe, while the sleeve uses the Tamla Motown name and logo everywhere.

The version of “Music Of My Mind” found here has, for instance, an extra little synth run between “Superwoman” and “I Love Every Little Thing About You”. You can clearly hear the familiar end of “Superwoman”. Then there is a slight gap. Then this little synth run is heard. Then there is another slight gap, and then “I Love…” starts as per the “normal” release.

Any ideas?

[[I posted this question on another forum earlier today but then reflected and realised that its real home was right here on SDF.)

robbert
03-04-2012, 05:33 PM
This is interesting. I remember the Milestones series. It was an EMI Holand originated project, released in most European countries [[UK, I don't know, but probably not). It must have been 1974 or '75. Of course Tamla-Motown put in their share. I recall All Directions/Masterpiece [[Temps) and Supremes Sing Motown/Supremes A Go Go. Supremes Sing Motown of course was the European title for Supremes Sing HDH.
Don't forget it might have happened that for instance Germany [[big market) pressed their own vynil, and also France and Scandinavia could have done so. You can tell by the codes: 5C was Dutch pressing, 1C was German, 2C was French.

I'm pretty sure I never took a close listen to the Milestones albums Talking Book/Music Of My Mind, since I already was familiar with the original albums [[or so I thouhgt).
The usual procedure for releasing special product [[= special compilations for the European market) was ordering tapes in the US. And yes, the Dutch TM office always had to ask permission [[sometimes beg) to release any product out of the regular USA release planning. Holland did its own mastering.

With new studio abums, as was the case in 1971 and '72 with MOMM and TB, we usually ordered metal masters in Detroit/Los Angeles. For the Milestones project in '74/'75 we already had the masters, so I don't think we ordered tapes.

That leaves us with the question: was the metal master of MOMM that was sent to Holland in 1971 a correct one? Well, we've learned how Motown more than once messed around with their so called finished product...
I might take another listen to the original MOMM [[I have the US and the Dutch album). And then I might listen to the Milestones MOMM. But: do I care enough to spend a few hours in my cellar box to do so? I'm afraid I'm not. My health just doesn't allow it.
I have reached the point where I rather leave the time and energy consuming 'digging' to others.
I was a hard core fan, once. Those days are definitely over. I'm interested, that leaves more than enough to enjoy.

Sorry folks.

Sotosound
03-04-2012, 07:35 PM
OK. I've now listened more closely to my US Tamla CD, and this has the same run out and run in for the two tracks as per the Dutch Milestones pressing.

On checking the Milestones pressing, it seems to have used US metal work. On the dead wax I found T314V1 - B4RS - 2100 - S.

So, it's the UK, not Holland that went its own way.

Oops!

soulster
03-04-2012, 08:57 PM
The little synth run does not appear on the U.S. release.