PDA

View Full Version : Jack Brokensha

test

bankhousedave
03-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Last I heard of Jack he was living in Florida, but it seems he died in 2010. He was a co-percussionist with Jack Ashford and Eddie Bongo in the Snakepit - vibes being his main instrument. In this short video he is honoured by the Detroit Business Association.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh8XjrkoHuE

ralpht
03-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks for posting this, Dave. Jack was an incredibly talented musician and I consider myself lucky to have seen him play on many Detroit recording sessions.

stephanie
03-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Thank you for this! Its good to hear the lesser known people and their contributions.

bankhousedave
03-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Ralph:

It's so good to find some kind of props for people like Jack, who was also a regular of the Detroit Jazz Fest. I believe that he and Joe Messina ran a good sideline in radio jingles and ads. Wish I'd met him in the flesh. How regular was he on those sessions when you were at Motown Ralph?

ralpht
03-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Hard to really remember, Dave, but I would say about a third of the vibes sessions he covered and the rest went to Jack Ashford.

snakepit
03-05-2012, 01:59 PM
When I visted Detroit, I trawled through the local telephone book for Motown 'names' . I found, and spoke to Ivy Hunter, via this method. I also found Jack Brokenshaw, and rang him on the offchance. He was charming, discussed his current situation regarding performing in clubs. He invited us to come to see him play, but we could not manage the time due to prior arrangements. He briefly discussed his Motown days, and I distinctly remember him saying that although he played on all Diana Ross tracks, he had 'never met the lady'.