PDA

View Full Version : carrolls...."surrender your love" ashford/simpson penned [[uk polydor 1966)

test

platters81
09-05-2010, 12:37 PM
The tune was revisited and revised in 1971 for Diana Ross as "Surrender"......i was told there exists a 1966 acetate of Valerie Simpson singing the orig version located in the UK [[which i havent heard)...has anyone heard a Motown [[or any other) version of the orig tune?1102

jsmith
09-05-2010, 02:00 PM
The Carrolls were a girl group from Liverpool that featured Brit comedienne Faith Brown [[born Irene Carroll) on lead vocals.
Cut in the UK, I wonder how they got hold of the song unless there was a US original that they covered.

westgrandboulevard
09-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Wasn't it Faith Brown and her brothers who made up 'The Carrolls' - ??

I'm sure I saw them perform once. Faith had a belting voice even back then. Would it have been on a Stevie Wonder UK tour?

robb_k
09-05-2010, 03:31 PM
They've always sounded like a "mixed group"[[women and men) to me. This 1969 release shows that they liked to use American material. One side was written by Chip Taylor, and the other by Van McCoy:

pj1
09-05-2010, 08:19 PM
The "Surrender" Expanded Edition booklet states that that a demo vocal and backgrounds for the Diana Ross version were cut [[in Detroit?) on September 12, 1970. Diana's lead was recorded in Los Angeles at an undocumented date.
In David Nathan's interview for the booklet, Valerie says that Nick Ashford sang the demos of all the songs [[but 1) [for the "Surrender" album], because they intuitively felt that Diana "didn't want to think that I was leading the way for what she would do vocally." The lone exception was 'Remember Me' - and Valerie's great demo was included as the last of the 9 bonus tracks.
I wonder if Nick had remembered Valerie's 1966 demo, received assistance/coaching from Val or merely did his own thing......
The demo in the vaults would certainly reveal a lot....
Harry, Andrew... any insights??

nomis
09-06-2010, 12:18 AM
I didnt pick up on what they said in the "Surrender ' cd notes about Nick doing the demo vocals..interesting I wonder if he did the same for "The Boss"..and at the time of "Surrender" they had done a number of sessions with Ross supremes and post..you think she wouldnt have minded who did the demos....

platters81
09-06-2010, 08:11 AM
i dont know if the carrolls 66 version is available on u tube but theres a partial clip on Soul Sources RefoSoul....ive done a full mp3 if anyone wants it Pm me........

soulwally
09-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Here's wikipedia on Faith Brown, lead singer with the Carrolls in the 60s. For our US members, Faith is very well known in the UK as a comedy impressionist and gets some of her fame from her rather outstanding assets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_Brown

144man
09-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Whoever did the original Version of "Surrender Your Love" has always been a mystery. I remember reading in an interview sometime in the 70s that when Valerie Simpson was asked about it, she didn't even remember it.

platters81
09-08-2010, 09:11 AM
i understand that Jobete Music sent acetates all over the world to various companies to hear the song and to see if any of their artists would like to record a Motown song...the songs altho sung by Motown artists didnt always sound finished...and the artist was never credited.........info from John Manship guide.......so if it was one of these it may not be Valerie singing it......