PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson TV promo tour for DreamGirls book

test

nomis
02-28-2012, 10:07 PM
This isnt really documented that much..which shows did Mary plug DreamGirls on ? I remember her on ET Tonite..did she do Donahue or Letterman..I know there was one she did with Maxine Powell [[ who worked her fan to almighty heaven as the subject of Rhondas father came up..Mary was apparently very diplomatic)..and Im sure I read on here years ago she did at least one tv show with the dreaded Tony Turner..?? none of these tv shows seem to circulate among fans and I mean VCRS were common..I cant buy any Mary interviews from this time on I Offer..IF anyone can shed light on Mary in her media frenzy Iam very interested to hear about it..Marv help me out !!

luke
02-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Mary did Lettermen which is on youtube as well as another with Maxine Powell on youtube but I dont think its THE one where poor Maxine started fanning herself!

marv2
02-28-2012, 10:43 PM
This isnt really documented that much..which shows did Mary plug DreamGirls on ? I remember her on ET Tonite..did she do Donahue or Letterman..I know there was one she did with Maxine Powell [[ who worked her fan to almighty heaven as the subject of Rhondas father came up..Mary was apparently very diplomatic)..and Im sure I read on here years ago she did at least one tv show with the dreaded Tony Turner..?? none of these tv shows seem to circulate among fans and I mean VCRS were common..I cant buy any Mary interviews from this time on I Offer..IF anyone can shed light on Mary in her media frenzy Iam very interested to hear about it..Marv help me out !!

EVERY SHOW! I mean every show available, locally and nationally! LOL!!!

marv2
02-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Mary did Lettermen which is on youtube as well as another with Maxine Powell on youtube but I dont think its THE one where poor Maxine started fanning herself!

The program you are referring to where Mrs. Powell damn near fainted and Mary started to squirm was a local show in San Francisco. I believe it may have been called "AM San Francisco", I am not totally sure. I am sure that the host asked Mary if Diana Ross had gotten pregnant by Berry Gordy and wasn't her first child really his? This is was in 1986 mind you. I always say to angry Diana Ross fans I've encountered [[believe me I've encountered some in cyber space) when they want to diss Mary over her book and her motivations for writing it. I ask them, if Mary wanted to really slam the shit outta Diana Ross with her book, how come she did not write anything about her having a kid with Berry? There are going to be some Ross fans on here going crazy over what I just said, but I think you know, I do not care.......

marv2
02-28-2012, 10:55 PM

Yes she did the David Letterman Show, the Phil Donahue Show [[which was like the kick off of her book tour). Mary was on TV so much at that time, sometimes she would be on twice on day. For instance, Jane Pauley interviewed her the same morning before she appeared on Donahue. Charlie Rose interviewed her on CBC This Morning, Joan Rivers Show, The Will Shriner Show, People Are Talking [[out of Philadelphia), Ebony/Jet Showcase, Lifestyles of Rich & Famous, Dennis [[can't remember his last name) but he had a show on PBS late night, Marilyn Kelly on Kelly & Co. in Detroit. and on and on and on.

She was suppose to appear on the Oprah Winfrey Show which had just went into national syndication that fall around the time Mary's book was released.

marv2
02-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Larry King Live was another show.

nomis
02-28-2012, 10:57 PM
...not every show Marv..Diana still had clout..Im sure Mary didnt get lots of spots due to upsetting a possible future booking from Ross..I mean Walters and Winfrey didnt give the hottest book of 86 any coverage..thats clout right there

marv2
02-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Nomis, I hope that at least gives you a start. I am just going on memory at the moment. There were other shows.

nomis
02-28-2012, 10:58 PM
thanks for the list Marv I knew you would know now if only I could buy a darn DVD of the interviews on I Offer..a market is being missed..

marv2
02-28-2012, 11:00 PM
...not every show Marv..Diana still had clout..Im sure Mary didnt get lots of spots due to upsetting a possible future booking from Ross..I mean Walters and Winfrey didnt give the hottest book of 86 any coverage..thats clout right there

Look, Jay Schwartz was working overtime to keep up with the demand to have Mary on certain shows. There is something you don't know about why Mary was not booked on the Winfrey. Oprah wanted her on there very badly when the book came out.......but in the Fall of '86, not many people even knew who Oprah Winfrey was. She had only been on the air nationally for a couple of months at that time. None of this had anything to do with Diane! The producers of these shows were only thinking of ratings and not who might get rubbed the wrong way.

atcsm
02-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Sweet - a subject about Mary's promo of her book & how she was diplomatic about the subject of Rhonda's father but Marv2 points out " if Mary wanted to really slam the shit outta Diana Ross". Yes, we are a friendly group.

marv2
02-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Sweet - a subject about Mary's promo of her book & how she was diplomatic about the subject of Rhonda's father but Marv2 points out " if Mary wanted to really slam the shit outta Diana Ross". Yes, we are a friendly group.

See what did I tell you guys in one of my earlier posts. This is the first one to come out of the woodwork to start a fight by picking on some thing I've said. Atcsm, if you don't like how I say things, I will make it very possible for you to tell me to my face this year ok? I want you to put me in my place for the language I use and make me see everything your way ok? Deal?

marv2
02-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Nomis, I will wait for you to ask ME questions and if I can give you the answer I will. Other than that get ready for die hards to come into this thread and start a war. Roberta, we're waiting.......

atcsm
02-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Absolutely not fighting you - just respecting what Ralph said about cutting the negativity. Again - a veiled threat of violence - Ralph - this is ok?

See what did I tell you guys in one of my earlier posts. This is the first one to come out of the woodwork to start a fight by picking on some thing I've said. Atcsm, if you don't like how I say things, I will make it very possible for you to tell me to my face this year ok? I want you to put me in my place for the language I use and make me see everything your way ok? Deal?

nomis
02-28-2012, 11:21 PM
thanks Marv I wanted a rough estimate of how much footage could exist from 1986/87 and I got my answer if I had have lived in the US at the time I would have tried to tape some of them..everybody chill..Ralph if its a hassle close the thread and Marv just message me the shows you mentioned in the thread and we can all be cool cats...

marv2
02-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Absolutely not fighting you - just respecting what Ralph said about cutting the negativity. Again - a veiled threat of violence - Ralph - this is ok?

You are just a jerk. Anyone that wants proof only needs to click on your name and then "view forum posts" and go down the list and see what you really contribute to this forum and what you really are about! All it takes is a few clicks and you're clocked!

marv2
02-28-2012, 11:28 PM
thanks Marv I wanted a rough estimate of how much footage could exist from 1986/87 and I got my answer if I had have lived in the US at the time I would have tried to tape some of them..everybody chill..Ralph if its a hassle close the thread and Marv just message me the shows you mentioned in the thread and we can all be cool cats...

Anytime Nomis. We should have to keep closing threads. Atcsm is just looking to start trouble. I joke, but he instigates! Anyway, yes there is a considerable amount of footage from the 1986-87 jperiod. If I think of more shows, I'll send them to you in a message. Thanks.

Marv

marv2
02-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Now I remember his name. Dennis Foley, interviewed her on his program on PBS. Dennis is also a Detroiter and use to for WXYZ I believe.

luke
02-29-2012, 12:13 AM
AHeeeem Nomis--I told u David Lettermen first --Marv is the expert but at least give me some credit!! :); Marv you were right-here they come!!

marybrewster
03-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Mary appeared in the Twin Cities on a local show called [[I think) "Twin Cities Live". I don't recall the year of the appearance, but as a special surprise guest, Maxine Powell appeared as well. Mary wore a silver lame' jumpsuit with a long silver necklace; Maxine wore a smart suit with matching hat. I don't remember much of the interview, other than Maxine sang a snipit of the song "Shake". That's not a typo, yes MAXINE.

I was smart enough to tape the show; I just have no idea how you would convert a VHS to DVD or upload to YouTube.

carlo
03-02-2012, 07:18 PM
I have Twin Cities Live on DVD, but the quality isn't so great. I think my copy cuts off near the end, because Maxine comes out and teaches the audience how to stand and how to not protrude the buttox, but I don't have the bit where she sings...

marv2
03-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Carlo, you must never protrude buttocks! LOL! People sometimes laugh at some of the things Mrs. Powell says, but she is a very smart woman. I tried her advance on how to get into a car [[not because I was worried about showing off anything LOL!) but it does make it a lot easier to get into any type of car without bumping your head or putting strain on your lower back.

marv2
03-02-2012, 07:53 PM
A few more television appearances I remember Mary made during this period. She appeared with Joan Rivers three times.

1. The Late Show with Joan Rivers
2. The Joan Rivers Show [[the daytime talk show version) twice
3. The Late Show with Joan Rivers [[ with Arsenio Hall guest hosting)

marv2
03-02-2012, 07:54 PM
She was on Video Soul with Donnie Simpson on BET

marv2
03-02-2012, 07:56 PM
She hosted Caroline's Comedy Hour [[I think that was the name of the show) on Comedy Central. Mary actually did a rap version of one of the Supremes songs or showed how the Supremes would sound if they were a new group on 1987.

R. Mark Desjardins
03-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Marybrewster
Not sure where you live, but most large cities have a shop that does digital transfers from VHS to a DVD. If you had a machine for both formats and patch lines you could do it yourself. Unfortunately there will be generation loss, but if it's a good program, it would be well worth you while. Maybe there is a film /computer school in your town and you could post a notice if a student would be willing to go the job. They could help with posting on Youtube as well. Here in Vancouver, Canada, transferring VHS to DVD costs around $20. Hope this is helpful! Cheers. R. Mark

luke
03-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Off topic but I have a video of Mary on Sally Jesse Raphael soon after her son's death. Rita Coolidge on to give support to Mary.

Roberta75
03-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Off topic but I have a video of Mary on Sally Jesse Raphael soon after her son's death. Rita Coolidge on to give support to Mary.

How macabre.

marv2
03-11-2012, 12:58 AM

Yes I have that also. Ben Vereen was there and most of the audience was made up of Mary's long time fans and friends. Mary sand "You Are So Beautiful" with a little help from Rita Coolidge. A very memorable program.

Ngroove
03-11-2012, 01:55 AM
Ah, a couple weeks ago, was fortunate enough to find a library copy of Mary Wilson's book in a thrift store, only thirty-two cents! After already spent a few hours worth of my time reading it, gosh, was Diane despicable! Buttering up to Berry to get at the top,while further egging against Florence's fragility with all those "fat" comments, down to supporting the feeling of fear that anyone on the group, except her, can be replaceable. Shame, I've loved her "Baby Love" and "Love Is Here [[Now You're Gone)", shall still will, but really wish they wasn't true, if I haven't heard them already quite some time ago on Florence Ballard's "Unsung" episode.

REDHOT
03-11-2012, 03:21 AM
Barbra Walters also interviewed Mary Wilson,I know Oprah wanted to interview Mary,after the so call Supremes reunion.
Please stay positive

marv2
03-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Barbra Walters also interviewed Mary Wilson,I know Oprah wanted to interview Mary,after the so call Supremes reunion.
Please stay positive

John Tesch formerly of E.T. interviewed Mary for his show that ran back at the time. I also saw an interview she did for the CBC while performing in Toronto at the Royal York.

marv2
03-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Susan Taylor of Essence Magazine interview her but I cant remember if the show was Essence.