PDA

View Full Version : Gladys knight joins the cast of dancing with the stars

test

Kamasu_Jr
02-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Can she ballroom dance? She used to cut a few steps with the Pips, but Cholly Atkins didn't want her bucking and stomping with Bubba, Merald & Edward. She's probably the oldest cast member this season and it should be interesting. What do you think about the show billing her as "the Empress of Soul?"

theboyfromxtown
02-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Kamasu

Gladys has had that title for a long time. If anyone asked me who was the Empress of Soul, I would reply with Gladys Knight immediately.

Should be good....is it possible to see these shows on the internet? Us Brits have a "See it again" option via the internet on a lot of programmes.

skooldem1
02-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Love Gladys. I will watch. Regarding "titles" I think they are SILLY.

skooldem1
02-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Now that Gladys has joined, I see Dancing with The Stars in Mary Wilson's future.

milven
02-28-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm kinda sad that she is part of the cast. I looked at the others, and they are D List, or their careers need a huge boost. I think Gladys' career remains in good shape, but who knows, maybe she wants an extra boost. When asked why she was doing it, she said that the Pips would never let her dance. Never watched the show , but will DVR it and watch her portion.

Kamasu_Jr
02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm kinda sad that she is part of the cast. I looked at the others, and they are D List, or their careers need a huge boost. I think Gladys' career remains in good shape, but who knows, maybe she wants an extra boost. When asked why she was doing it, she said that the Pips would never let her dance. Never watched the show , but will DVR it and watch her portion.

I know what you mean. It can boost her career. And reality shows are extremely popular I was hoping she might do Celebrity Apprentice. But when the annoucement was being made on GMA this morning, I was uninterested until they announced Gladys Knight & Jaleel White. The cast would have been all D- listers if not for them, in my opinion.

Skooldem, If Mary Wilson ends up on DWTS OR CELEBRITY APPRENTICE, REMEMBER I PREDICTED IT A WHILE BACK. I don't see why not.

Kamasu_Jr
02-28-2012, 12:03 PM

Maybe she'll get to sing.

milven
02-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Maybe she'll get to sing.

Maybe ! That's why I'll be DVR'ing it. I love her voice and see her live anytime that she appears near me. But I am not a fan of reality shows and don't watch them. I guess her appearance will be the exception.

Hotspurman
02-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Haven't most of the great names from yesteryear appeared on reality shows? The lack of light entertainment on television, at least as I remember it, means appearing on reality shows either as mentors or contestants is the only way they can get on television. Either that or tagged on at the end of some interview programme - Dionne Warwick on Jonathan Ross' being a case in point - she was worthy of more than just one song, surely.

simplysupreme
02-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Gladys will be reunited with her TV son from "Charlie & Co." Anyone remember this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_%26_Co

ivyfield
02-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Can she ballroom dance? She used to cut a few steps with the Pips, but Cholly Atkins didn't want her bucking and stomping with Bubba, Merald & Edward. She's probably the oldest cast member this season and it should be interesting. What do you think about the show billing her as "the Empress of Soul?"
ABS-SO_FRICKIN' RIGHT! Come on, she has been so under-sold [[okay, Under-Souled!) as far as the media is concerned, I don't care if she only gets past the first few eps - this lady is FANTASTIC! A true, genuine, approachable and magnificently voiced singer who is worthy of ANY accolade. I'm definitely in team GLADYS!!!

marv2
02-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Now that Gladys has joined, I see Dancing with The Stars in Mary Wilson's future.

I don't see that.

marv2
02-28-2012, 06:12 PM

That's the correct title, "Empress of Soul". They should call her that......she earned it!

marv2
02-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Gladys will be reunited with her TV son from "Charlie & Co." Anyone remember this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_%26_Co

Oh yeah I remember that show. I was just going to mention it. It was on back in 1985-86. Gladys co-starred with Flip Wilson. I taped several of the episodes at that time.

Roberta75
02-28-2012, 08:19 PM

Good for Miss Gladys Knight. She'll add some class to what's become a very tacky show.

I shall tune in this season if only to see Gladys Knight.

Roberta

uptight
02-28-2012, 11:18 PM
It has been a while since I watched this show. If she is being billed as "Empress of Soul" [[which is nice), will she be dancing, or will she be singing for the dancing contestants? I absolutely loved her moves with the Pips, but that was decades ago.

jobeterob
02-29-2012, 12:08 AM
I think they should have gone straight to calling her the Undisputed Queen of Soul.

Then they could get some undeniable fireworks, immediate publicity and a boost in the ratings.

I'm glad she's on but it's a bit beneath her. I saw one show of Dionne Warwick on that Trump show ~ when she got the boot. And that was embarrassing. I'm sure this one won't be as bad.

Roberta75
02-29-2012, 12:15 AM
I think they should have gone straight to calling her the Undisputed Queen of Soul.

Then they could get some undeniable fireworks, immediate publicity and a boost in the ratings.

I'm glad she's on but it's a bit beneath her. I saw one show of Dionne Warwick on that Trump show ~ when she got the boot. And that was embarrassing. I'm sure this one won't be as bad.

Dione Warwick was vile on the Apprentice and deserved to be booted. Gladys Knight is a true lady and if she gets voted off will leave like the gracious lady she is.

Roberta

luke
02-29-2012, 12:18 AM
The last I heard tho I dont watch it was that Dancing with the Stars was a very hot show right now and many want to be on it.

milven
02-29-2012, 12:56 AM

She is the Empress of Soul and has been referred to as that for years and years just as Aretha has been referred to as the Queen of Soul. She is usually introduced as that and her face book fan club bills her as that. It's a well deserved title.

jobeterob
02-29-2012, 01:47 AM
I'd just love it for Gladys or the show to bill her as the Queen of Soul.............cuz I'd love to watch Aretha take a bird; kind of like Marv does when Diana tours or wins awards.

jobeterob
02-29-2012, 02:20 AM
'Dancing with the Stars' cast revealedSTORY HIGHLIGHTS
"View" co-host Sherri Shepherd will step into the "Dancing" arena
Jack Wagner, who currently appears on "The Bold and the Beautiful," will dance this season
Season 14 of 'DWTS' will kick off on March 19 at 8 p.m. ET with a two-hour premiere
[[CNN) -- The upcoming season of ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" could be the most difficult yet for the popular series.

"Dancing" once ruled the Monday night ratings roost, but with NBC starting to show muscle with "The Voice," the Tom Bergeron-hosted affair is facing pressure to step it up for its 14th season, especially after critics took umbrage with the series' lack of star power in recent seasons.

So who will be hoofing it up for season 14? This season's stars, revealed this morning on ABC's "Good Morning America," are:

Jack Wagner - The soap star, who currently appears on "The Bold and the Beautiful," is also quite the golfer, having won the American Century Celebrity Golf Classic on two occasions.

Melissa Gilbert - The TV icon played "Half Pint" Laura Ingalls on "Little House on the Prairie."

Donald Driver - The 13-year NFL veteran is the all-time receptions leader in Green Bay Packers history, and was selected to play in four Pro Bowls.

William Levy - Levy is a popular telenovela actor who appeared in the music video for Jennifer Lopez's "I'm Into You."

Sherri Shepherd - The "View" co-host hopes to be "bicoastal" for as long as possible as she steps into the "Dancing" arena.

Katherine Jenkins - The Welsh-born mezzo-soprano performed on an episode of "Dancing" last season.

Gavin DeGraw - The singer/songwriter has had five Top 40 hits since 2004, including "I Don't Want to Be" and "Not Over You."

Martina Navratilova - The tennis legend hopes to do better than fellow "racquet queen" Monica Seles, who was the second celebrity eliminated on the sixth season of the show.

Roshon Fegan - Teens and pre-teens know this 20-year-old for his role as Ty on Disney Channel's "Shake It Up."

Maria Menounos - The "Extra" correspondent has an unblemished record in World Wrestling Entertainment, winning both of her matches.

Jaleel White - Known by millions for his portrayal of nerdy Steve Urkel on "Family Matters," White is now hosting the upcoming Syfy game show "Total Blackout."

Gladys Knight - The legendary singer has won 11 Grammy awards in a career spanning nearly six decades.

What do you think of this season's "Dancing" cast? Season 14 will kick off on Monday, March 19 at 8 p.m. ET with a two-hour premiere.

LadySingsBlues
02-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Wow. I didn't know Gladys had 11 Grammy awards!

Hotspurman
02-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Wow. I didn't know Gladys had 11 Grammy awards!

The group won three Grammy Awards: Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Group in 1973 for Neither One Of Us, Best Rhythm & Blues Vocal Performance by a Group in 1973 for Midnight Train To Georgia and Best Rhythm & Blues Vocal Performance by a Group in 1988 for Love Overboard. Gladys also won a Grammy Award in 1986 for Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Group with Dionne Warwick, Elton John and Stevie Wonder for That’s What Friends Are For, the 2001 Grammy Award for Best Traditional R&B Album for At Last, the 2004 award for Best Gospel Performance with Ray Charles for Heaven Help Us All and the 2005 award for Best Gospel Choir Or Chorus Album for One Voice.

Perhaps it should have been 'nominated' rather than won.