PDA

View Full Version : our lips just seem to rhyme

test

honest man
02-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Hello folks been in motown heaven for 2 days with Marvelettes forever more, i see this song is listed as a Smokey cover does any other version beside the Marvelettes exist released or unreleased please, thank you,big thanks to Harry and crew, keep them coming ,cheers...................................

Roger Polhill
02-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Not that I have found released, unreleased or assigned.But that doesn`t mean there isn`t.

theboyfromxtown
02-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Not in the Detroit era.

Smokey and Al Cleveland were the writers.

motownjohnny
02-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Don't Forget The Motor City [[DFTMC) doesn't list this song as having been recorded by anyone else, so honest man I guess the answer to your original post is, no.

johnjeb
02-25-2012, 09:45 AM
I've always loved this song. I love its' simplicity. The melody is light and the lyrics are sweet - a perfect POP song. It should have been a single - it's in the same vein as "Magician".

I also had gone to DFTMC years ago hoping to find that someone else recorded "Lips" - even Irene Ryan!

Smokey should have had The Supremes record this for the "Floy Joy" album instead of that dreadful "Automatically Sunshine". The lyrics of "Lips" are profound compared to "Automatically Mundane".

captainjames
02-26-2012, 10:44 AM
This was an Outstanding tune and I agree could have been good single material but, I am not sure Motown knew what to do with The Marvelettes at this time and it just fell by the sidde of the road.

theboyfromxtown
02-26-2012, 10:49 AM
After discovering that Smokey did a renamed version of "You're The One For Me Bobby", I'm never too sure if some of those old songs were recorded in a much later time period.

captainjames
02-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Hey Xtown after listening to this song over and over and over I think it would have fit Cal and the Velvelettes better than the Supremes. It would have been sweet to hear them do this.

After discovering that Smokey did a renamed version of "You're The One For Me Bobby", I'm never too sure if some of those old songs were recorded in a much later time period.

TomatoTom123
11-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Was listening to some of the tracks on the Return of The Marvelettes album today and discovered this tune [[I usually go for the original songs first, hehe) - and I love it! A lovely early-'70s pop-soul track from Smokey!!

kenneth
11-06-2016, 07:31 PM
It is a great song, and a welcome upbeat slice on the "Return" album which could be a little one note as it had a large number of sad, downbeat songs. [[That being said, it is my favorite album of my favorite Motown group.) But I remember, even listening to "Return" a girlfriend at the time saying, "I like that song [['Rhyme') because it's so much happier than the other songs."

I think Wanda's voice was always under appreciated, except by Smokey. Her voice generally lent itself to the more downbeat numbers but she could belt when she wanted to, like on "You're My Remedy" or this track. But of course her real strength lied in the subtle shadings of songs like "Don't Mess With Bill" or "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game."

But, "Rhyme Every Time" is a great, raucous track. I love the Andantes on background too, especially when Wanda sings "You're supposed to be the perfect match for me!" and they respond with "Oh yeah! Oh yeah!"

I think the only other track on "Return" which is as upbeat is their version of "Someday We'll Be Together" which I also love for many of the same reasons.

Thanks, Honest Man, for calling attention to this little known gem!

theboyfromxtown
11-07-2016, 03:16 AM
Was listening to some of the tracks on the Return of The Marvelettes album today and discovered this tune [[I usually go for the original songs first, hehe) - and I love it! A lovely early-'70s pop-soul track from Smokey!!

Crikey.....you are going back in time with posts!

TomatoTom123
11-07-2016, 03:49 AM
Crikey.....you are going back in time with posts!

Hehehehe, yes... whenever I find one of these lesser-known tracks I'll google it, only to find some 4-year old thread about it on the forum - and then I think, "hey, why not!?" - and, well, here we are!! ;)

theboyfromxtown
11-07-2016, 04:10 AM
You might want to try searches on some of the musicians and artists. R Dean Taylor Mike Terry Bob Babbitt .......but I think that Deke Richards "book" posts on the making of Love Child and Syreeta singing on I Cant Dance To That Music You're playing will be of most interest to you