PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Man Deluxe?

test

jack020
02-24-2012, 03:45 AM
http://theseconddisc.com/2010/07/26/the-second-disc-interview-1-a-soulful-chat-with-harry-weinger/

Harry,

in this interview in 2010 you said that a deluxe version of Trouble Man was in the works.
Is it still planned for 2012?

treborij
02-24-2012, 05:00 PM
This isn't Harry but...

But I'd love to see a deluxe edition of Trouble Man. I've always wondered what other instrumentals were recorded but unused. And did he record any other songs?

I'm surprised that this album isn't as fondly remembered today as his other 70s output. It plays through really well as a complete album. Love Marvin's scat singing and piano playing throughout. It's obvious he took this project very seriously. Would love to hear more.

marv2
02-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Now that would be worth buying! I loved that soundtrack album and would love to have some of the songs in extended form if possible.

hwume
02-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Yes... It is the 40th anniversary of the movie and album, and [[so far) the deluxe/expanded edition project remains on target for fall 2012. As readers know, I am hesitant to commit to any release date or pertinent details until I am more certain of the final lineup, the packaging, mastering etc. But that's where we're at now - committed to finishing it up and getting it ready.

marv2
02-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Yes... It is the 40th anniversary of the movie an album, and [[so far) the deluxe/expanded edition project remains on target for fall 2012. As readers know, I am hesitant to commit to any release date or pertinent details until I am more certain of the final lineup, the packaging, mastering etc. But that's where we're at now - committed to finishing it up and getting it ready.

Excellent news Harry, it may just be in time for my birthday! This one in particular will go over VERY well with the hip-hop market and general Old-school market! To many still around, the "Trouble Man" soundtrack was an urban masterpiece! Thanks

kenneth
02-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Great news! I love this album. Along with James Brown's two soundtrack albums [[and his third, "The Payback," which I never knew was intended to be a soundtrack), I think "Trouble Man" is just about the best of its kind. Will really look forward to this one.

soulster
02-25-2012, 11:49 PM
I'll have to refamiliarize myself with this album. I haven't played it since 1995!

marv2
02-26-2012, 12:18 AM
I'll have to refamiliarize myself with this album. I haven't played it since 1995!

It is baadddd! Always remember......"T stands for Trouble"! I haven't listened to it in years myself, but I just started remembering the melody to "Abbey Walsh".

zani57
02-26-2012, 01:24 AM
I realize that in putting together a two-CD, deluxe edition, it is more than likely to include outtakes, etc. Harry, just wondered if you ever considered how other artists have interpreted the music? Case in point, being Janis Siegel's cover of "Trouble Man" from her "At Home" album --

http://www.amazon.com/At-Home-Janis-Siegel/dp/B000002IKZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330233601&sr=8-1

splanky
02-26-2012, 08:36 AM
A Trouble Man Deluxe set would be a real boon for me because though Smooth Jazz radio stations played Sexual Healing
quite often this was Marvin's true jazz influenced work. Don't Mess With Mr T even became a jazz standard beginning with Stanley Turrentine's cover of it and the track Cleo's Appartment knocked me the funk out! Oh, BTW, zani, Janis
Siegel don't goof around:)....

alanh
02-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Wonderful news! 2012 is turning out to be a great year for reissues. Unless my mind is playing tricks, I remember Marvin saying in an interview that he thought Trouble Man was his best album.

jack020
02-27-2012, 03:36 AM
Thanks for your answer Harry. 2012 is gonna be a great Motown year !

grapevine
02-27-2012, 10:51 AM
...music to my ears!!!

...it remains my all-time fave Motown album

...thanks Harry

:)

bankhousedave
02-27-2012, 11:56 AM
I love it too, Grape - just as it is. As someone else pointed out, it is so wonderfully coherent from end to end. I'll be interested to see what can be improved upon, although it would be nice to get some musician credits on there, apart from Trevor Lawrence and Dale Oehler.

paladin
02-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Trouble Man Deluxe set would be a real boon for me because though Smooth Jazz radio stations played Sexual Healing quite often this was Marvin's true jazz influenced work. Don't Mess With Mr T even became a jazz standard beginning with Stanley Turrentine's cover of it and the track Cleo's Appartment knocked me the funk out!

I play this album consistently, at least every two months...... its a true gem. Lot of folks were initially upset that Marvin didn't sing more....it wasn't a standard release album but a soundtrack, superior in every way.