PDA

View Full Version : Mary wells "second time around" mlp612.

test

Roger Polhill
02-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Can anybody help with the label copy or track listing for this unreleased album please.

theboyfromxtown
02-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Roger.

You asked me to contribute to your Mary Wells thread. I assume this is it.

I can't help, I'm sorry. The Hitsville USA album file would contain the track listing but I don't have access to that information. There are acetates of "Second Time Around" with others and conclusions can be drawn from that. The acetates might even be re-produced in Reg Bartlette's Motown book. I can't get to them at present. There have been suggestions for track listings and the type of tracks to be included but not originating from official sources. I am not sure what you mean by the label copy in the case of an unreleased album.

robb_k
02-24-2012, 08:04 PM
I found an acetate of that song in The Motown Vaults in the mid 1970s. I taped it. Berry Gordy had originally envisioned an album by Mary singing Jazz standards. I think that only 4-5 cuts got recorded before the idea/project was scrapped. I think that happened in 1963. Her version of that song is great. It never got booted along with the other, traditional unreleased Motown sounds, as The Brits pressing those boots didn't think there'd be enough interest.

Roger Polhill
02-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Many thanks boy and robb, as there are so many previously unreleased tracks around I was hoping that it was ready and only shelved due to Mary leaving hence the label copy.I love collecting unreleased songs and turning them into unreleased titled albums if that makes sense. Regards Roger.

Kamasu_Jr
02-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Many thanks boy and robb, as there are so many previously unreleased tracks around I was hoping that it was ready and only shelved due to Mary leaving hence the label copy.I love collecting unreleased songs and turning them into unreleased titled albums if that makes sense. Regards Roger.

Mary Wells' recording of Second Time Around was released on a Motown compilation issued in the 1990s.

robb_k
02-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Mary Wells' recording of Second Time Around was released on a Motown compilation issued in the 1990s.
I had forgotten that fact. Good that it didn't remain unreleased.4478

Roger Polhill
02-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks Kamasu Jr. could you please tell me what disc it is on as I thought I had collected them all.

144man
02-25-2012, 09:11 PM
I thought it was on a bootleg.

Roger Polhill
02-25-2012, 09:55 PM
I collect them too if there is unreleased material on them.Although I missed the Martha & the Vandellas one.

reese
02-25-2012, 10:03 PM
A LOVELY WAY TO SPEND AN EVENING was released on the compilation THE COMPLETE MOTOWN ANTHOLOGY. I assume it was from the SECOND TIME AROUND project.

Kamasu_Jr
02-25-2012, 10:36 PM
I've got to go through my dad's Motown library. I know he has Mary Wells' The Second Time Around but it could be on a bootleg disc or tape. I thought it was on the Complete Motown Anthology. But I just asked and he told me he believes it was on a Motown sampler. I'll look for it.

Roger Polhill
02-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Could be reese, I have that.It must have been on that sampler Kamasu , bugger! I missed it. Never mind that`s what collecting is all about.Thanks for your answers.

randy_russi
02-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Her version of Teach Me Tonight, which I believe was part of this lp project, was issued on the double disc Looking
Back issued by Motown in the '90s.

lakedistrictlad1
02-27-2012, 10:17 AM
I really hope these tracks will be included in the forthcoming cd box set project.

Kamasu_Jr
02-27-2012, 12:14 PM
I really hope these tracks will be included in the forthcoming cd box set project.

What forthcoming CD box set project? One on Mary Wells?