PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Dick Anthony [["Pretty Tony") Williams

test

mellow_q
02-23-2012, 12:50 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/theater/dick-anthony-williams-actor-and-producer-dies-at-77.html?_r=1

Jerry Oz
02-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Peace out, Pretty Tony. He and William will unfortunately be remembered for the quality of the only vehicles that provided them with sustainable work although they were both capable of doing much better.

mellow_q
02-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Agreed!! Williams was a much better actor who, unfortunately, will be best known for his pimp roles in "The Mack" and "Saughter's Big Rip-Off." Having said that, you have to admit that

"Stick yourself, Tony!!!"
"Aaaahhhhh"

was quite funny.

marv2
02-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Dick Anthony Williams was a great actor. People may look down on the roles he and others played during that era, but no one can look down on the fact that they played the hell outta those roles! He was one of the "cool dudes" as we called them. He did eventually play a wide variety of roles including Steve Martin's brother in "The Jerk" and in Spike Lee's "Mo' Better Blues". His memory will live on in all of his work in films. Rest in peace Dick Anthony and thanks for it all.

Marv

Jerry Oz
02-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Peace out, Pretty Tony. He and William will unfortunately be remembered for the quality of the only vehicles that provided them with sustainable work although they were both capable of doing much better.

Oops, I meant William MARSHALL. Who is sadly remembered forever as **sigh** Blacula.

Jerry Oz
02-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Dick Anthony Williams was a great actor. People may look down on the roles he and others played during that era, but no one can look down on the fact that they played the hell outta those roles! He was one of the "cool dudes" as we called them. He did eventually play a wide variety of roles including Steve Martin's brother in "The Jerk" and in Spike Lee's "Mo' Better Blues". His memory will live on in all of his work in films. Rest in peace Dick Anthony and thanks for it all.

Marv

My folks used to take me to see those movies as a little boy. By the time I was a teenager, I was slipping into the grindhouses to watch them. I don't believe the cussing, stabbing, shooting, constant use of the "n" word, or Pam Grier's breasts [[blown up to 20 feet each on the large screens back then) have made me a horrible person although I'm probably not the one to ask about that.

timmyfunk
02-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Probably one of his most impressive roles was in a PBS special. A fictional dramatization of a meeting between Malcolm X [[Williams) and Martin Luther King at the Hotel Theresa shortly before Malcolm's assassination. Absolutely brilliant.

timmyfunk
02-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Now I remember. It was called "The Meeting" and Jason Bernard, another superb and underrated actor, played MLK Jr.. It was a segment of American Playhouse from around 1990 or 1991.

marv2
02-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Probably one of his most impressive roles was in a PBS special. A fictional dramatization of a meeting between Malcolm X [[Williams) and Martin Luther King at the Hotel Theresa shortly before Malcolm's assassination. Absolutely brilliant.

I remember that very well! They had very few props on an almost bare stage. He was tremedous. He made you feel as if you were in the room with Malcolm!

paladin
02-24-2012, 04:34 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth.

mark speck
02-24-2012, 11:52 PM
I remember him from a few TV appearances like Starsky & Hutch...RIP, Mr. Williams, and thank you... :[[

Best,

Mark

timmyfunk
02-26-2012, 01:02 AM
I remember that very well! They had very few props on an almost bare stage. He was tremedous. He made you feel as if you were in the room with Malcolm!

It also made you feel that if Malcolm and Martin were actually able to have a long form conversation, it would have been exactly like "The Meeting".

splanky
02-26-2012, 08:49 AM
I idolised this man. I loved his work even up to his being cast in silly little comedies. Dick Anthony Williams had presence
like very few in the business. I'd long hoped some one would cast him in the lead role of a film about the black writer
Donald Goines...

Kamasu_Jr
02-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Agreed!! Williams was a much better actor who, unfortunately, will be best known for his pimp roles in "The Mack" and "Saughter's Big Rip-Off." Having said that, you have to admit that

"Stick yourself, Tony!!!"
"Aaaahhhhh"

was quite funny.

He did have a flair for delivering comical dialogue. My favorite was: "You ain't no pimp. You a rest haven for hoes." He probably won't be featured in this year's or next year's Oscar memorial. May he rest in peace.

marv2
02-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Dick Anthony Williams [[1934 -2012)

timmyfunk
02-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Dick Anthony Williams [[1934 -2012)

Excellent image.