PDA

View Full Version : George Rountree Tribute

test

ms_m
02-21-2012, 09:00 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Office: [[216) 538 1737
E-mail: Drew@DSdrums.com

Benefit Tribute To Be Held For The Four Tops’ Conductor, George Rountree Jr.

A tribute will be held to raise money for the family of the late George Rountree Jr., a Detroit native who played keyboards, conducted, wrote, and arranged for The Four Tops for 33 years. The event will take place in the Motown Room at Bert’s Warehouse on Sunday, March 4th at 6:00 – 9:00 PM. No cover, but any donations are welcome and appreciated.

Performers will include current Four Tops member and Northern Soul staple Ronnie McNeir, as well as Leonard King and his brother Gregory, of The Soul Messengers. Guest musicians will perform, and anyone with a memory of George, affectionately called “Tree,” is encouraged to speak and/or perform. Drew Schultz, the Four Tops’ drummer, will DJ rare and unreleased material by the Tops and others that Rountree was involved with throughout his career. Interviews that Tree recorded, as well as those with his contemporaries will be played.

During his three decade tenure with The Four Tops, George was declared the group’s “right arm, and left arm” by lead singer Levi Stubbs. However, he got his start with The Funk Brothers, the Motown backing band. Through them, he began his touring life with former Temptation Eddie Kendricks, and went on to perform with and direct countless soul superstars.

This event will not only be a great performance by musicians who helped shape Tree’s career, but also a history lesson on one of the major players behind the scenes of Detroit’s musical legacy.

chidrummer
02-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Where does one send a donation, ms. M?

drewschultz88
02-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks for posting this Ms. M! I hope the event will be a real party for Tree!

Hey Chi!
We'll get that info straightened out soon. If you think you may be able to make the trek, you're more than welcome to come and play.
Hope all is well!
-Drew

ms_m
02-21-2012, 03:52 PM
You're welcome Drew.

chidrummer
02-21-2012, 09:11 PM
I wish I could Drew. I would love to be there, but I'm booked into a fundraiser for breast cancer that day.
I'll be there in spirit. I wish I'd had a chance to talk to George in person. Throw down for him the way I know y'all can.

juicefree20
02-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Drew,

Thanks for this information. I wish that I could be there.

I believe that this should be a great event. For one thing, Bert's has featured some great events & I'vewitnessed thatwhen it comes to a musical party, Detroit knows how to turn out & turn it out.

George was a real nice guy, an excellent musician & I hope that this event achieves everything that it needs to.

R.I.P. George!