PDA

View Full Version : Recent Hallmark Releases ... Tamla Special 1

test

booty
02-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Just received the latest 5 titles from Hallmark Records and one in particular, "Tamla Special #1", would appear to have the wrong track on it. Track 3 should be "Shop Around" by The Miracles but on this CD it is the version by Mary Wells. Not ever having the original album I am wondering what version was actually used on Tamla 224 - The Miracles or Mary Wells' version?

johnny_raven
02-20-2012, 11:26 PM
I had the early 80's LP reissue and it was the Mary Wells version.

jsmith
02-21-2012, 04:59 AM
What is 'The Great Gospel Stars' album like ?
I am partial to lots of gospel cuts, but don't tend to go for choir versions of old standard gospel songs done in traditional style.
Can you tell its the Motown musicians backing the female singers up ?

theboyfromxtown
02-21-2012, 05:24 AM
It's what you would expect from the title. It's actually a good album and there were a couple of tracks that stood out from the rest. But if you think it's going to be gospel songs sung in the traditional Motown style, that is not how I remember this album!

Hotspurman
02-21-2012, 07:17 AM
I've checked the original source album and it was listed as The Miracles. It was listed on both the cover and the actual record, so Motown made the original mistake!

mysterysinger
02-21-2012, 07:46 AM
On the Tamla Special No 1 album "Shop Around" always sounded like Mary Wells to me. However, because it was listed as by The Miracles I was never 100% sure and thought it might just have been Claudette singing. I've always assumed it was Mary though and a mistake had been made by Motown.

The good news is that all 5 albums have arrived today [[Tuesday) - Tamla Special / Twistin Kings / Cookin with The Miracles / Gospel Stars and More Marv Johnson. Not only that but they were also accompanied by The Marvelettes "Forever More" and it's not even my birthday!

Hotspurman
02-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Here's a thought - and my profuse apologies to anyone who has already bought Tamla Special #1: what does everyone think of us correcting the original error on any subsequent pressings. That is, we replace the Mary Wells version of Shop Around with the version that should have been on there, The Miracles?

144man
02-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Here's a thought - and my profuse apologies to anyone who has already bought Tamla Special #1: what does everyone think of us correcting the original error on any subsequent pressings. That is, we replace the Mary Wells version of Shop Around with the version that should have been on there, The Miracles?

The error was well-known in the 60s, and it seems to have been forgotten over the years. The sensible thing to do would be to issue the album with the error, and include the Miracles as a bonus track.

kenneth
02-21-2012, 11:23 AM
I've checked the original source album and it was listed as The Miracles. It was listed on both the cover and the actual record, so Motown made the original mistake!

Right and wrong. On the original LP, it is definitely the Miracles track. The error with the substituted Mary Wells version came up on the 80s reissue. I have both the original LP and the reissue, and it is definitely not Mary Wells' version on the original LP. So, Hallmark must have sourced their CD from the 80s reissue, not an original Tamla LP. Perhaps they can confirm that.

On the other question in this thread, the Great Gospel Stars is definitely a selection worth having. It's very unpolished and moving vocals. I've always liked the album a lot. I imagine [[and hope) that the Columbus Mann LP will soon follow in the Hallmark catalog.

Hotspurman
02-21-2012, 11:42 AM
The vinyl version we have is the midline reissue from the early 1980s. With regards to the Columbus Mann LP, we will know later on in the year whether or not we get to release it - it will depend on when the copyright extension comes into force in Europe.

kenneth
02-21-2012, 11:56 AM
The vinyl version we have is the midline reissue from the early 1980s. With regards to the Columbus Mann LP, we will know later on in the year whether or not we get to release it - it will depend on when the copyright extension comes into force in Europe.

Excellent, I'll watch for that one! These are well worth having, and who can beat the price?

144man
02-21-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm sure the error goes back before the 80s reissue...I'll try to check when I first knew about it.

justanothermotownfan
02-22-2012, 11:58 AM

Hotspursman - is there a chance you will release some of the Workshop Jazz titles in the future?

kenneth
02-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Hotspursman - is there a chance you will release some of the Workshop Jazz titles in the future?

Those would be great to have, though I've always hoped for a box set on the Workshop titles, unlikely as it might be!

mysterysinger
02-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Pleasantly surprised as I found myself enjoying both the Twistin Kings and Great Gospel Stars albums. How good to finally hear them and have them on CD. Not sure who sings on either of them but some of the contributions on Twistin are comical. Well worth the investment!

Hotspurman
02-22-2012, 01:09 PM

I very much doubt that the copyright term will remain at 50 years in Europe long enough, although we may just about get Earl Washington's All Star Jazz album out next January. By my records, that is the only Workshop Jazz album originally released in 1962.

justanothermotownfan
02-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Earl Washington's All Star Jazz is a great album! I'm waiting for TK's and Gospel CD to be delivered any day now, and I would scoop up any Workshop Jazz title released. I hope you're able to do it.

Hotspurman
02-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Earl Washington's All Star Jazz is a great album! I'm waiting for TK's and Gospel CD to be delivered any day now, and I would scoop up any Workshop Jazz title released. I hope you're able to do it.

As I mentioned above, the impending change in the copyright term from 50 years to 70 years is what will dictate what we can or cannot release. As you know, this is mainly about protecting The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, but caught up in this are 12 Motown albums originally released in 1962 that we may, possibly, get to release according to my knowledge of how long it is going to take to get all of Europe to introduce the new term, and a further 25 released in 1963 that we probably won't. The 25 in 1963 include a further five of the Workshop Jazz albums, so your best bet would be to check back here in 2032 - I should have some news for you!

snakepit
02-22-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm hoping you can do something on Ivy Jo Hunter's album [[1971)..........Hopefully I'll be here when you do :)

Hotspurman
02-22-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm hoping you can do something on Ivy Jo Hunter's album [[1971)..........Hopefully I'll be here when you do :)

That will be in 2042 - I somehow doubt I'll be Artist & Repertoire Manager at Hallmark then, but I'll leave a message for my successors....

mysterysinger
02-22-2012, 08:27 PM
But that's only 30 years away. Some people have no commitment.

144man
02-23-2012, 08:32 PM

And it's about 30 years ago that I bought the reissue of Tamla Special 1 with the wrong version of Shop Around. I don't know why I misremembered that the error went back to the 60s. My apologies.

Hotspurman
02-24-2012, 02:43 PM

I meant that I'd hoped to have moved up the corporate ladder by then....

keith_hughes
02-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Another curious, uh, feature of the "Tamla Special" album is that it contains the unfaded version of "Oh I Apologize" by Barrett Strong. I believe this is the only place where this version can be heard. The release of this LP more or less co-incided with the arrival at Motown of Billie Jean Brown, and "Quality Control" was born ... mistakes like wrong versions on albums didn't cease, but were noticeably fewer ...

booty
02-26-2012, 03:20 AM
Which albums are scheduled next and when will these be due?

Hotspurman
02-27-2012, 05:10 AM
Assuming we got another year of public domain albums out, the next ones would be released in January 2013. This is the list:

THE MARVELETTES SING
THE MARVELETTES

MOTOWN SPECIAL
VARIOUS ARTISTS

EDDIE HOLLAND
EDDIE HOLLAND

I'LL TRY SOMETHING NEW
THE MIRACLES

PLAYBOY
THE MARVELETTES

THE ONE WHO REALLY LOVES YOU
MARY WELLS

THE JAZZ SOUL OF LITTLE STEVIE WONDER
LITTLE STEVIE WONDER

DO YOU LOVE ME
THE CONTOURS

MEET THE SUPREMES
THE SUPREMES

TRIBUTE TO UNCLE RAY
LITTLE STEVIE WONDER

ALL STAR JAZZ
EARL WASHINGTON

THEY SHALL BE MINE
THE REVEREND COLUMBUS MANN

Kamasu_Jr
02-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know who the artists are on The Great Gospel Stars?

Hotspurman
02-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Does anyone know who the artists are on The Great Gospel Stars?

The title implies it is a compilation, but it isn't - the Gospel Stars were Elizabeth Davis, Etta Gooch, Sandra Gooch, Mae Gooch, Lois Russell and Lillian Woods. I gather they originally recorded for Davis Claiborne Records in Washington in the late 1940s.

Roger Polhill
02-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Put me down for "Do You Love Me", "All Star Jazz" and "They Shall Be Mine" and give Ryan Nelson more game time.

Hotspurman
02-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Put me down for "Do You Love Me", "All Star Jazz" and "They Shall Be Mine" and give Ryan Nelson more game time.

The three albums will depend on the BRitish Government and the EU; Ryan is down to Harry Redknapp [[and I struggled for a while until I realised you meant Ryan Nelsen!). He looked solid against Stevenage, and with Ledley coming to an end he could be a useful asset.

Roger Polhill
02-28-2012, 06:00 PM
sowy abowt dat i pryde miselv on mi spelin/.He`s our skipper so please tell Harry to look after him.