PDA

View Full Version : The Temptations; The Four Tops; Diana Ross & the Supremes: Live Feb. 23 in Valdosta!

test

jobeterob
02-19-2012, 02:58 PM
They are all over the place now! This guy was an Impression & his connection was Eddie Kendricks.
Where is Valdosta???

Nate Evans Temptations Revue is part of the Presenter Series’ ‘Motown Magic’ playing this week at Mathis City Auditorium.

‘Motown Magic’ coming to Valdosta
Dean Poling
The Valdosta Daily Times The Valdosta Daily Times Sun Feb 19, 2012, 10:00 AM EST

VALDOSTA — Ever since joining the Temptations, Nate Evans has never felt compelled to sing the hits of his first group, the Impressions.

He joined the Impressions in the 1970s, taking the lead singer spot in the wake of Curtis Mayfield’s departure. Evans performed with the Impressions for several years, but he doesn’t revisit those songs.

“No, no, the Impressions, they do their own thing now,” Evans says. “I’m not part of that. They wouldn’t like for me to sing their songs.”

Nate Evans Temptations Revue Tribute is part of “Motown Magic” coming this week to Valdosta through the Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts’ Presenter Series. The Temptations will be joined by the Four Tops and a tribute to Diana Ross and the Supremes led by Roz Thomas, who also spoke with The Times about the show.

As for the Temptations, the audience can expect to hear hits such as “Way You Do the Things You Do,” “My Girl,” “Get Ready,” “Ain’t to Proud to Beg,” etc.

In the 1980s, original Temptations Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffin, and Dennis Edwards asked Nate Evans to join the group.

“Eddie called me and offered me the job, I asked, What about Otis and them,” Evans says, referring to original Temptation Otis Williams. “Eddie said, well, you don’t want to write what he said ...”

Williams is the only surviving member of the original Temptations; he has his own version of the group, still touring under the name Otis Williams The Temptations.

As for Evans, he joined the Temptations and, with Kendricks, Ruffin and Edwards now having passed, he carries the torch with Joseph Cross, Ritchie Stanley, Reggie Reed and Curtis Taylor.

Coming of age in Gary, Ind., Evans wanted to become a singer.

“While the other guys came home from school and played basketball, I was watching ‘American Bandstand,’” Evans says.

By the age of 14, he was already landing paying singing gigs. Getting the job with the Impressions was his first big break. He’s been singing professionally ever since.

Having worked with three original Temptations, Evans feels a responsibility to maintain the quality of the group and the music. He never considers new material. That’s not what his group does. Their job is to present the best of the Temptations.

“No, no new stuff,” Evans says. “We take people on a journey back through time, to the past. We present the songs as they are supposed to sound. We don’t speed it up. We make it sound like it used to be.”

Evans says his Temptations often participate in the Motown showcases such as the one coming to Valdosta. He often works with Roz Thomas as Diana Ross leading a Supremes tribute.

“The girl doing Diana Ross,” Evans says. “She’s so good she’s scary. … She walks, talks, and sings just like Diana Ross.”

Being Diana Ross was not Roz Thomas’ original plan. Yet, nature seemed to have it planned for her.

Thomas trained to sing. She wrote her own songs. Performing them, Thomas often heard she sounded and looked like Diana Ross. Finally, in one showcase, a representative introduced her to Legends in Concert, which presents tribute artists and impersonators of famous stars. Thomas began working as Diana Ross.

“It’s been a wonderful opportunity to do Diana Ross,” Thomas says. “I grew up listening to Motown. … I always loved all of those Motown sounds. It’s an honor to perform them.”

Her job is spelled out in the show’s name, “Motown Magic.” She must create the illusion of an audience watching Diana Ross and the Supremes in the Motown era of a few decades gone by.

“It is pure illusion,” Thomas says. “I put on the costume and make-up. The big hair and gowns and pumps.”

In other venues, such as European tours, Thomas plays the full spectrum of Diana Ross from the Supremes to the solo career.

Being Diana has offered Roz many opportunities, from performance to travel to meeting and performing for Michael Jackson. Given Ross’ influence on Jackson, she was a little nervous when he visited the show. She sang “Reach Out and Touch [[Somebody’s Hand)” for him.

Yet, when the gig is over whether it’s for Michael Jackson, or in Valdosta, Vegas or Vienna, it is Roz Thomas who steps off the stage, not Diana Ross.

SHOWTIME

Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts presents “Motown Magic,” featuring the music of the Temptations, the Four Tops and Diana Ross & the Supremes.

When: 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 23.

Where: Mathis City Auditorium, 2300 N. Ashley St.

Ticket: $45.

Reservations, more information: Call 247-2787; or visit turnercenter.org

marv2
02-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Nate Evans yeah! I remember him when he was with the Impressions. By the way, Dennis Edwards is still alive and performing.

nabob
02-19-2012, 05:09 PM
They are all over the place now! This guy was an Impression & his connection was Eddie Kendricks.

Where is Valdosta???SHOWTIME

Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts presents “Motown Magic,” featuring the music of the Temptations, the Four Tops and Diana Ross & the Supremes.

When: 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 23.

Where: Mathis City Auditorium, 2300 N. Ashley St.

Ticket: $45.

Reservations, more information: Call 247-2787; or visit turnercenter.org
Valdosta is in the wasteland of South Georgia. Ain't s#%t down there. $ 45 is a lot for tickets to see no-name performers.

Jerry Oz
02-19-2012, 06:46 PM
I can't enjoy current incarnations of the bands I remember as a boy. It's just not the same. I went to a company Christmas party that featured "The Drifters" and I was probably the only one who paid attention to the band that night. Consequently, I was probably the only one who left unhappy with it. These current representations of classic bands are little more than non-inspired tribute artists.

The Temps without Eddie, David, Melvin, Otis, and Dennis [[even Richard Street), the Tops without Levi, the Supremes with someone portraying Diana Ross? I hope everyone that attends has a great night, but that's kind of depressing to me.

candykamaine
02-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Sounds like one of those shows with a bunch of fakes. It sounds like basically one of those tribute groups events.

And did really promote Diana Ross as being in the concert when in reality they have some chick playing diana ross and some other girls playing the surpremes. The heck? -_-

Jerry Oz
02-19-2012, 06:58 PM
I guess since Motown changed the name to "Diana Ross and the Supremes", it doesn't matter whether Ms. Ross is the one singing. I'd be ticked if I paid to see "Smokey and the Miracles" and some guy they found singing at a Karaoke bar was "Smokey" that night.

marv2
02-19-2012, 08:08 PM
I can't enjoy current incarnations of the bands I remember as a boy. It's just not the same. I went to a company Christmas party that featured "The Drifters" and I was probably the only one who paid attention to the band that night. Consequently, I was probably the only one who left unhappy with it. These current representations of classic bands are little more than non-inspired tribute artists.

The Temps without Eddie, David, Melvin, Otis, and Dennis [[even Richard Street), the Tops without Levi, the Supremes with someone portraying Diana Ross? I hope everyone that attends has a great night, but that's kind of depressing to me.

I know what you mean. I saw the Spinners last summer. They were one of favorite groups when I was a teenager. It was hard watching them now when most of the group is now younger than me. Now how did that happen? LOL!

motony
02-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Valdosta IS a nice little town.There will be some disappointed people there.

paladin
02-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Nate Evans and company were brought to my attention again ...a couple weeks ago by a dear friend, you may judge for yourself. Yes they are a tribute group which really explains more than that article. Nate never was a "Temptation" but did a few shows with David & Eddie. He was an Impression though......and hell no The Impressions wouldn't want him doing their songs, they are doing quite well with Reggie, Fred & Sam continuing the legacy of The Impressions. In fact Reggie sounds very much like Curtis Mayfield and their show is simply great. Guess they got somebody playing the Four Tops too........and of course The music of......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Ck2sWH5dM

jobeterob
02-20-2012, 01:07 AM
There isn't a lot of difference between these guys and Otis' guys that I saw in Vancouver a year or two ago.........just a little less real connection to the past. But they sound fine to me. And as long as the pitch is a "tribute", what can you say.

arrr&bee
02-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,here we go again,i don't even remember a nate evans in the impressions...oh boy i need a stiff shot of this wonderful elixir right now,anyone care to join me?

paladin
02-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Jai, I'm in..........hit me.........

smark21
02-20-2012, 12:52 PM
I suspect the guy who wrote the article didn't take much time to write it and doens't really know the difference between a tribute act and the real thing. Which is why he is probably working the entertainment beat in a backwater like Valdosta GA.