PDA

View Full Version : Aretha Didnt Attend but can Perform Tonight

test

abfan
02-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Aretha claim's she suffered health issue's EALIER IN THE DAY.But she's able to Perform Tonight in NY.30 minute's from Newark.Come on something smell's fishy.She has been on FB/ Twitter talking about her love for Whitney and she even wrote a poem to sing at the service.BLAH BLAH BLAH
BTW She did'nt have to perform.And still showed up.

Aretha Franklin
Please be advised that Ms. Franklin's show at Radio City is still on tonight.

Ms. Franklin released the following statement earlier today:

"Regretfully, I am so sorry that I was unable to be with you at Whitney's service today. I had every intention of being there. But unfortunately I had terrible leg spasms and locked leg muscles until 4:00AM this morning following my concert last night, which I've been having for the last few days. I feel it necessary and very important to stay off my leg today as much as possible until concert time this evening. My heart goes out to my dear friend Cissy, Dionne, Bobbi Kristina and the rest of the family. May God keep them all."

Aretha & the Franklin Family

soulster
02-18-2012, 11:13 PM
I guess we'll never hear the end of that one! I wonder how many Whitney fans are going to burn their Aretha Franklin records and CDs now.

blueskies
02-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Has she heard of wheelchairs?

marv2
02-18-2012, 11:21 PM
There's nothing fishy going on and she didn't need a wheelchair. She just could not do it! I mean she, in a brief interview Friday afternoon was the first time EVER I saw Aretha Franklin doubt herself. She said that she was going to try to hold up and perform "The Greatest Love of All" for the services, but I guess she realized that it was going to be too much for her. BeBe Winans said essentially the same thing to that guy that hosts E! Today he started singing and broke completely down before he was able to compose himself and completed the song strong!

soulster
02-18-2012, 11:33 PM
There's nothing fishy going on and she didn't need a wheelchair. She just could not do it!

Then, why lie, or cover up for it? Just say it and move on! I'm sure she talked to the family and they understand.

marv2
02-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Then, why lie, or cover up for it? Just say it and move on! I'm sure she talked to the family and they understand.

No, I do not believe the family even knew that Aretha was not going to be there because Dionne Warwick, acting as mistress of ceremony, introduced Aretha when her place in the program came up. Some one had to tell her that Aretha was not there. Dionne's reaction was just a calm, "oh well" and she went to the next participant in the program. Before they started the service, CNN spoke to Jesse Jackson outside and it was mentioned that Aretha would not be there. Jesse took out his cell phone and called her .......right there on TV LOL! She confirmed to Jesse that she had hurt her leg. I believe [[I know wink) that she couldn't bear up under those particular circumstances. Whitney was like a daughter to her. She wanted to sound her best without all of the crying and falling out.

marv2
02-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Aretha was also not at the viewing last night at the funeral home.

soulster
02-19-2012, 12:51 AM
No, I do not believe the family even knew that Aretha was not going to be there because Dionne Warwick, acting as mistress of ceremony, introduced Aretha when her place in the program came up. Some one had to tell her that Aretha was not there. Dionne's reaction was just a calm, "oh well" and she went to the next participant in the program. Before they started the service, CNN spoke to Jesse Jackson outside and it was mentioned that Aretha would not be there. Jesse took out his cell phone and called her .......right there on TV LOL! She confirmed to Jesse that she had hurt her leg. I believe [[I know wink) that she couldn't bear up under those particular circumstances. Whitney was like a daughter to her. She wanted to sound her best without all of the crying and falling out.

OK...like I said, I didn't see it. I think maybe some network will replay it. It is Saturday night...not a big TV night...

soulster
02-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Aretha was also not at the viewing last night at the funeral home.

Some people don't do viewings. I don't.

SupremeBoy
02-19-2012, 01:14 AM
The reason Aretha was not at Whitney's viewing last night was because she was performing at Radio City. She did her concert, went home and according to her started experiencing severe leg pains and muscle spasms in her leg over night. She had to cancel her appearance at Whitney's funeral and rest up because she had another show to do tonight.

Aretha loves Whitney. There is no doubt about that. I find it hard to believe anyone would even think Aretha would lie and make ish up to not appear at her beloved god daughter's funeral. She was there in spirit and I am sure Cissy and the family completely understood and they are THE ONLY ONES Aretha owes an explanation to..not any of us!!

Kamasu_Jr
02-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Some people don't do viewings. I don't.

i GIVE ARETHA A PASS ON THIS ONE. Her health is somewhat fragile and she said attending the funeral would be hard on her emotionally. Plus , nowadays, it probably seems like she's always losing someone. I'm hopeful she will communicate with Whitney Houston's family, as they are the only ones she owes an explanation to.

woodward
02-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Why do people keep referring to Whitney as Aretha's god daughter? I have heard this comment made dozens of times, but I also heard Darlene Love make that claim the other morning on nationwide news that Whitney was HER god daughter. Is it possible for two different people to have the same god daughter?

reese
02-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Why do people keep referring to Whitney as Aretha's god daughter? I have heard this comment made dozens of times, but I also heard Darlene Love make that claim the other morning on nationwide news that Whitney was HER god daughter. Is it possible for two different people to have the same god daughter?

I used to think that the claim that Whitney was Aretha's goddaughter was more publicity than truth. I've never heard Aretha refer to herself that way, not even in her book. And it was interesting to see Darlene Love referred to the same way in the past week.

That said, some things don't necessarily have to be official. Myself, I've had two godmothers, and a godbrother as well. None of these were done in church. The terms were just used to show how close these people felt to me and vice versa.

carlo
02-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Darlene Love addressed this on her Facebook page earlier in the week. She said that Whitney had two godmothers...her and Aretha.

luke
02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Dionne said oh well and then said "but she is here!"

marv2
02-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Dionne said oh well and then said "but she is here!"

Luke, I didn't hear that last part. Was she there after all?

daddyacey
02-20-2012, 03:26 AM
Luke, I didn't hear that last part. Was she there after all?
Dionne did in fact say that and Aretha was not seen in the broadcast but she may have been there ,or maybe Dionne's statement might have meant that Aretha was there in spirit. Some people deal with death in different ways. I know for myself that if I choose to remember someone who has passed on the way they were and not deal with the issues and carrying on that people do at funerals ,no matter how close I was to the departed ,I just wouldn't go if I felt that ,that was the way I choose to deal with it. What other people think my behavior should have been could kiss my ass. Two tears in a bucket ,fuxk it, It's my cry, I have to deal with it. I generally don't do viewings also. I don't agree with the fact of looking at and having the last image of someone I knew ,laying dead in a casket. Why would you want to see someone in their worse state ,lifeless as opposed to remembering them as they were in life? But thats just my personal opinion/logic.
As far as the multiple God Parent thing is concerned ,in African American Culture you could have God Parents through the church and also God Parents through the "House", which could be very close friends of the family or other blood family members. It's a "Black Thing" carried over from 200 years of Black American History. Being famous entertainers ,don't override being Black .

Also I'd like to state to all the people in Europe and England that saw the funeral footage , that what you saw was real. The African American church has called them Home Comings for over 150 years. That was NOT a show ,THAT was CHURCH. That is what has gone on every Sunday in Black churches. Even though there were famous people involved, they were personally connected ,but it was still Church. This is how we do , send our loved ones home to GOD ,thus , Home Coming.
"Church ", is where the Soul in Soul Music comes from. This footage shows you an example of where ,SOUL and THE BLUES developed from.
I watched the whole thing. I felt like I was in Church. [[And it's been a year since the last time). I was emotionally exhausted by the end.
That was Church.

marv2
02-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Dionne did in fact say that and Aretha was not seen in the broadcast but she may have been there ,or maybe Dionne's statement might have meant that Aretha was there in spirit. Some people deal with death in different ways. I know for myself that if I choose to remember someone who has passed on the way they were and not deal with the issues and carrying on that people do at funerals ,no matter how close I was to the departed ,I just wouldn't go if I felt that ,that was the way I choose to deal with it. What other people think my behavior should have been could kiss my ass. Two tears in a bucket ,fuxk it, It's my cry, I have to deal with it. I generally don't do viewings also. I don't agree with the fact of looking at and having the last image of someone I knew ,laying dead in a casket. Why would you want to see someone in their worse state ,lifeless as opposed to remembering them as they were in life? But thats just my personal opinion/logic.
As far as the multiple God Parent thing is concerned ,in African American Culture you could have God Parents through the church and also God Parents through the "House", which could be very close friends of the family or other blood family members. It's a "Black Thing" carried over from 200 years of Black American History. Being famous entertainers ,don't override being Black .

Also I'd like to state to all the people in Europe and England that saw the funeral footage , that what you saw was real. The African American church has called them Home Comings for over 150 years. That was NOT a show ,THAT was CHURCH. That is what has gone on every Sunday in Black churches. Even though there were famous people involved, they were personally connected ,but it was still Church. This is how we do , send our loved ones home to GOD ,thus , Home Coming.
"Church ", is where the Soul in Soul Music comes from. This footage shows you an example of where ,SOUL and THE BLUES developed from.
I watched the whole thing. I felt like I was in Church. [[And it's been a year since the last time). I was emotionally exhausted by the end.
That was Church.

Great post Daddy. Thank you. I watched it in it's entirety also. It did get rough there in spots, but we all made it. The one thing that may not have been readily apparent to television viewers is that there was a lot of crying, moaning and even a little yelling going on, but because of the one single camera allowed inside it was not very audible to viewers. This was pointed out by CNN. I say that to explain that you did not get the full effect of that type of service from television. Which may be a good thing......I don't know. I hope Soulster reads your post Daddy as he is interested in the African American Church tradition.

Marv

Cincinnati_Kid
02-20-2012, 11:42 AM

That was Church.

I concur, excellent post. Everyone handles death differently, nobody should be admonished if they decide not to attend, and want to remember that person as they were in life.

abfan
02-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Why do some of you feel the need to go down the list of how WE celebrate church...

Anyway, Aretha was the one on everyone's TV stations going on about Whitney this and that,And while plugging her NY show, stated she would be there to sing a solo.. And so on.And then the morning of the service she bows out w/ so called health issues just to perform a few hours later at Radio City Music Hall..She didnt have to perform. All she had to do was show her respects
You notice everyone else on the list showed up

skooldem1
02-20-2012, 02:56 PM

Aretha Franklin
Calls in Sick to Whitney's Funeral
But Performs Hours Later

Aretha Franklin canceled her scheduled appearance at Whitney Houston's funeral service in New Jersey yesterday afternoon ... but was well enough to perform at Radio City Music Hall that night.

Aretha said she had been suffering from leg spasms and wanted to rest up for her show, rather than travel for the funeral. She released a statement, saying in part, "heart goes out to my dear friend Cissy, Dionne, Bobbi Kristina and the rest of the family. May God keep them all."

The Queen of Soul dedicated a portion of her show to Whitney, and also to Nick Ashford, who passed away last August.

Aretha should have canceled ...

Her concert76%
Her funeral performance24%

Total Votes: 149,010

*Poll Results

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/19/whitney-houston-funeral-aretha-frranklin/

Roberta75
02-20-2012, 03:57 PM

Aretha Franklin
Calls in Sick to Whitney's Funeral
But Performs Hours Later

Aretha Franklin canceled her scheduled appearance at Whitney Houston's funeral service in New Jersey yesterday afternoon ... but was well enough to perform at Radio City Music Hall that night.

Aretha said she had been suffering from leg spasms and wanted to rest up for her show, rather than travel for the funeral. She released a statement, saying in part, "heart goes out to my dear friend Cissy, Dionne, Bobbi Kristina and the rest of the family. May God keep them all."

The Queen of Soul dedicated a portion of her show to Whitney, and also to Nick Ashford, who passed away last August.

Aretha should have canceled ...

Her concert76%
Her funeral performance24%

Total Votes: 149,010

*Poll Results

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/19/whitney-houston-funeral-aretha-frranklin/

The comments are really vicious and cruel.

1382hitsville
02-20-2012, 04:37 PM
A poll? About what? Opinions on how someone deals with the passing of a loved one?

I guess I'm getting too old for this....

stephanie
02-20-2012, 07:49 PM
I believe Aretha! The leg spasm thing is real! When I couldnt walk for three years I had them everyday and had to take muscle relaxants to function. Forget the just get in a wheelchair when you have this problem you cant even get into a car. People used to ask me all of the time why dont you go out? When I tried and then jumped out of a car and almost got hit when I had a spasm THEN they understood! I feel for anyone who has those.

reese
02-20-2012, 09:28 PM
I believe Aretha as well. I attended both of Aretha's Radio City concerts, and each contained lengthy tributes to Whitney. It was obvious how much she loved her. But Aretha is also a 69 year old woman and better than anyone else, knows her physical limitations.

On the first night, Aretha said from the stage that her feet were bothering her. She even noticed that one of her backup singers [[Vanesse Thomas) seemed to be having a similar problem. I think she was barefoot by the end of the program.

On the second night, she started the show wearing heels, but halfway through, switched to flats. She mentioned that she couldn't make the funeral, but hoped to make the burial.

jobeterob
02-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Aretha is not young; she cant be that well herself; this isn't a big deal.

Online viciousness seems to be the in thing these days; a way to vent aggression. Embarrassing to those that participate so they generally seem to stay anonymous.