PDA

View Full Version : Hitsville USA

test

skooldem1
02-15-2012, 02:21 PM
From the time that Motown's operations moved to CA to years later when it was dubbed a Historical site/Museum...what was going on there during those years?

ralpht
02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
I believe it just sat, Skool. I seem to remember that Mrs. Edwards wanted to make the Donovan Building the museum, but when that didn't work out, went to Hitsville.

skooldem1
02-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks Ralph. So from the years 70/71 to when it became a museum was it just empty? What year did it become a museum?

1382hitsville
02-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Hi Skooldem,

On their facebook page it is stated the museum opened 1985:
http://www.facebook.com/MotownMuseum?sk=info

Meaning it would be empty between 1973 and 1985. I wonder what the stored there, what the state of the building was and if anyone paid a visit during these years.

skooldem1
02-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Thanks. I had no idea it was a museum going back to 85.

marv2
02-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I was one of the ones that had to move a lot of those dusty boxes around when they were first started. LOL!

1382hitsville
02-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Marv, what was in the boxes?

marv2
02-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Marv, what was in the boxes?

All kinds of stuff from old fan club applications, photos, mocked up album covers, shoes LOL! Old notebooks, etc,etc

Kamasu_Jr
02-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Hi Skooldem,

On their facebook page it is stated the museum opened 1985:
http://www.facebook.com/MotownMuseum?sk=info

Meaning it would be empty between 1973 and 1985. I wonder what the stored there, what the state of the building was and if anyone paid a visit during these years.

Prior to 1985- a lot of people would visit the building wanting to see where the hits were recorded. My father was a frequent visitor around 1983-84. He became friendly with Doris Holland and Esther Edwards. In fact Mrs. Holland and Mrs. Edwards put up items on the walls to appease fans who wanted something to look at. The building was sparesly filled in those days. Mrs. Edwards had an office and the lobby was furnished with a small sofa an old candy machine and some other items. During one visit my dad and a friend suggested they sell memorabilia to raise funds for a museum. Mrs. Holland looked at them and said: " You mean people would really want all that old junk?" They responded they would. Mrs. Holland told them Mrs. Edwards had boxes of junk and that she would suggest they go through it all.

1382hitsville
02-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks for these additions! Kamasu, I remember you from the old forum. welcome back!

chidrummer
02-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Unfortunately, I can't find it right now, but Gordy himself said that somewhere in the early eighties Esther called him in LA complaining about all the people that would just show up on West Grand wanting to see the studio and the offices. Esther asked, "what should I do?". Berry replied, "let 'em in." That conversation is what seems to have started talk about turning West Grand into a museum. Michael Jackson, among others, ponied up the money to start the renovations that finally turned the main house and the one next door into the Motown Museum.

marv2
02-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Unfortunately, I can't find it right now, but Gordy himself said that somewhere in the early eighties Esther called him in LA complaining about all the people that would just show up on West Grand wanting to see the studio and the offices. Esther asked, "what should I do?". Berry replied, "let 'em in." That conversation is what seems to have started talk about turning West Grand into a museum. Michael Jackson, among others, ponied up the money to start the renovations that finally turned the main house and the one next door into the Motown Museum.

Ahhh.......some of that is true ChiDrummer, but there was a lot more to it and behind it than that. A good while before Michael and others got involved financially, they/we worked like dogs to raised money for that museum. Mrs. Edwards really deserves most of the credit for all that she did in not only bringing attention to the then new Museum, but also putting together all of those fundraising parties, dinners and direct marketing campaigns. It wasn't until after Hitsville was declared an official landmark in 1987 did we see donations from people like Michael Jackson etc. I am thankful to all that did contribute what they could financially or with memorabilia.

ralpht
02-17-2012, 08:12 PM
I agree with you Marv regarding Mrs. Edwards. She was a dynamic woman to say the very least.

MCAntil
09-16-2012, 08:24 PM
I blogged about my Jouirney way back when to Hitsville, USA on the death of Esther Edwards. Thought you might want to see the post. Enjoy. http://mcantil.com/r-i-p-esther-gordy-edwards/

marv2
09-17-2012, 08:44 PM
I blogged about my Jouirney way back when to Hitsville, USA on the death of Esther Edwards. Thought you might want to see the post. Enjoy. http://mcantil.com/r-i-p-esther-gordy-edwards/

MCAntil, that was a great story on Esther and Hitsville. Thank you.