PDA

View Full Version : A forgotten temps classic?

test

arrr&bee
02-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Hey my fellow tempoholics,as we discuss all things temptin from the million sellers to the little known album fillers there's one great song that doesn't get mentioned much and that is the great[1967]david lead classic[lonliness made me realize it's you that i need]what a killer this one jumps on you from the soulful blast of the trumpets with ruffin pleading his heart out like only he can do,this great collaboration from norman whitfield and eddie holland stands out as one of the temps best ever,just thought i'd give it a shout out...temptations forever!!

Sotosound
02-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Great track.

I first came across it when I bought a brand new mono copy of the "With A Lot O' Soul" LP on UK Tamla Motown without its picture sleeve back in the early 70s. In fact, the whole album is a classic, with no filler at all.

soulster
02-12-2012, 04:52 PM
I've always been partial to "You're My Everything". Great lead vocals from both Eddie and David.

Sotosound
02-12-2012, 05:14 PM
The album is full of great songs that make you want to sing along.

The problem with the Tempts is that singing along with any track normally results in a strained larynx as you switch from Melvin Franklin's bass to David Ruffin's hoarse tenor, to Eddie Kendricks' falsetto, to Paul Williams' hoarse baritone.

A car journey with this album playing and I'm growling by the end of the journey.

bradsupremes
02-12-2012, 07:30 PM
One song, although it wasn't released for nearly 35 years, that I felt could have been an instant classic for them was "That'll Be The Day." I heard it a few years ago and I was blown away. Who was responsible for sending that track back into the vaults? It boggles my mind. I think it would have been a hit for them in 1965.

johnjeb
02-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Loneliness Made Me Realize [[It's You That I Need) is my favorite Temptations song.

Many of the songs from those years [[You're My Everything, I Could Never Love Another, Please Return Your Love To Me, All I Need) are seldom, if ever, played on oldies stations, either standard radio or satellite radio.

paladin
02-12-2012, 08:06 PM
The album is full of great songs that make you want to sing along.

The problem with the Tempts is that singing along with any track normally results in a strained larynx as you switch from Melvin Franklin's bass to David Ruffin's hoarse tenor, to Eddie Kendricks' falsetto, to Paul Williams' hoarse baritone.

A car journey with this album playing and I'm growling by the end of the journey.

Great observation, Jai must be reading Tempt fans minds. I lost my girlfriend when this song was out because I did some stupid ass teenager shhhh........well I went into the house put this record on and begged her to come back to me for about a hour. She did and we were married a couple years later. Every night a million tears I shed..........

arrr&bee
02-12-2012, 08:11 PM
great observation, jai must be reading tempt fans minds. I lost my girlfriend when this song was out because i did some stupid ass teenager shhhh........well i went into the house put this record on and begged her to come back to me for about a hour. She did and we were married a couple years later. Every night a million tears i shed..........i'm glad she came back..nobody can beg like ruffin!!

Motown4Ever518
02-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Eddie Holland did a nice slower version on MSMT, but the production on the Tempts version sizzles, especially the background harmonies. As a 12 year old, I could feel the anguish from Mr. Ruffin.

marv2
02-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Loneliness Made Me Realize [[It's You That I Need) is my favorite Temptations song.

Many of the songs from those years [[You're My Everything, I Could Never Love Another, Please Return Your Love To Me, All I Need) are seldom, if ever, played on oldies stations, either standard radio or satellite radio.

You are so right and it is a shame because those are some of their finest and my personal favorites from the Tempts.

marv2
02-12-2012, 09:52 PM
I've always been partial to "You're My Everything". Great lead vocals from both Eddie and David.

I always liked their alternating, the back and forth better Eddie & David when they sang "Baby, Baby, I said BBBaaabbbyyyyy......."

daddyacey
02-13-2012, 02:51 AM
TWALOS is an amazing album. A collection of HDH ,Smokey and Whitfield penned songs and productions ,it holds its own as a cohesive album and yet each track is excellent on their right. LMMRIYTIN is one of my favorite Temps tracks because of the vocal arrangement ,David's performance ,the swirling of the strings and Jamersons run behind David's phrase ,"What this loneliness is...doooing to meee!!". That track and "I Know I'm Losing You" and "You're My Everything" ,defined the Temptations/Whitfield sound that would continue for the next 5 years. Those songs don't get played cause the "Classic Soul Radio Programmers" of today don't know their history ,beyond what they read in the charts of the day ,which is the source of their research. Sad....