PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News!!! The Miracles are being inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!!

test

bradsupremes
02-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Breaking news everybody!! The Miracles are finally being inducted into the Rock Hall after a surprise announcement was made by the Rock Hall about 30 minutes ago! They will be inducted along with 5 other groups [[the Comets, the Crickets, the Famous Flames, the Midnighters and the Blue Caps) whose front men were inducted, yet they were not. It's good to see the Rock Hall correcting its errors! They will be inducted on April 14, 2012 with the other members of the Class of 2012.

It's about damn time! Congratulations Bobby, Pete, Ron, Marv, Claudette & Billy!! You deserve this!

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/entertainment/rock_hall/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-announces-induction-of-6-more-bands-at-april-14-ceremony

jobeterob
02-09-2012, 02:09 AM
By: Elizabeth Misson, newsnet5.com
CLEVELAND - In a surprise move early Thursday, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced that six more bands will be inducted at the 27th Annual Induction Ceremony on April 14 in Cleveland.

The Blue Caps, the Comets, the Crickets, the Famous Flames, the Midnighters and the Miracles will now be inducted along with the previously announced inductees Beastie Boys, Donovan, Guns N’ Roses, Laura Nyro, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Small Faces/The Faces, Freddie King, Don Kirshner, Cosimo Matassa, Tom Dowd and Glyn Johns.

The front men of these famous groups have already been inducted in to the hall of fame in previous years: the Blue Caps [[Gene Vincent was inducted in 1998), the Comets [[Bill Haley was inducted in 1987), the Crickets [[Buddy Holly was inducted in 1986), Famous Flames [[James Brown was inducted in 1986), the Midnighters [[Hank Ballard was inducted in 1990) and the Miracles [[Smokey Robinson was inducted in 1987).

The addition of these six groups was born out of a special Rock and Roll Hall of Fame committee review to identify which groups should be recognized along with the original lead singer inductee.

“These inductees are pioneers in the development of the music we call rock and roll,” said Joel Peresman, president and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation in a press release Thursday. “As part of our mission to recognize the most impactful, innovative and influential artists in rock, the committee brought forth these six groups that belong in the Hall of Fame.”

The 27th annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place on Saturday, April 14, 2012, in Cleveland and premiere on HBO in May. The 2012 ceremony is open to the public [[although tickets to the event are sold out). The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum will also broadcast the ceremony live for the public to watch.

For more information on these newly announced inductees and the other inductees, visit: rockhall.com

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/entertainment/rock_hall/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-announces-induction-of-6-more-bands-at-april-14-ceremony#ixzz1lrWLYmKt

Hotspurman
02-09-2012, 05:25 AM
One down, two to go - Mary Wells and The Marvelettes should be inducted.

SupremeBoy
02-09-2012, 07:50 AM
This is fantastic news and long overdue!!! I feel the group should have been inducted FIRST and then Smokey later, not the other way around. I'm glad whoever is involved in making these things happen over at the R&R Hall of Fame finally came to their senses.

Kamasu_Jr
02-09-2012, 10:21 AM
This is fantastic news and long overdue!!! I feel the group should have been inducted FIRST and then Smokey later, not the other way around. I'm glad whoever is involved in making these things happen over at the R&R Hall of Fame finally came to their senses.I agree. The Miracles are overdue. But I wonder if Smokey will show up for the group's induction? And I'm glad for the Midnighters and the Famous Flames. James Brown forgot about those brothers. I also hope the Marvelettes and Mary Wells will be inducted eventually.

robbert
02-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Of course Smokey should show up! Why on earth shouldn't he? Was he a Miracle for more than a decade or wasn't he?

RossHolloway
02-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Horray for the Miracles!

marv2
02-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Now this is some truly good "It's About Time" news! Congratulations to all of the Miracles. Thanks Brad.

Kamasu_Jr
02-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Of course Smokey should show up! Why on earth shouldn't he? Was he a Miracle for more than a decade or wasn't he?

Yes, Smokey was a Miracle and is largely responsible for the group's success, but he didn't insist they be inducted with him. I think he should let them have the spotlight alone and stay home.

marv2
02-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Yes, Smokey was a Miracle and is largely responsible for the group's success, but he didn't insist they be inducted with him. I think he should let them have the spotlight alone and stay home.

I cannot believe this, but I agree 100% with what you just wrote! LOL!

captainjames
02-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Hmm, I am glad for them !!!!
I still think it would be nice for Smokey to be there afterall he was a Miracle too before it was Smokey Robinson and The Miracles and then just Smokey Robinson. I remember Smokey being inducted first but, I can't remember if it weighed in on his song writing abilities. At any rate it doesn't matter group and lead singer have and will be inducted. Congratulations again to the Miracles.

And thank you for your contributions to the music industry !

Roberta75
02-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Woo Hoo. Very well deserved.

Roberta

jboy88
02-09-2012, 12:19 PM
So does this mean that Smokey will be a two time inductee? Otherwise, this is great news! I was hoping it would happen while most the miracles were still with us. It also makes up for the Spinners and Chaka Khan being overlooked! [[albeit, it doesn't excuse it)

jobeterob
02-09-2012, 12:34 PM
It sounds to me from the article like they are now inducting only the group members that were missed............but perhaps reading the RRHOF fame site might tell us.

Smokey will probably attend because he never seems to miss an opportunity to comment or show up at events, funerals, etc. If he does, he should stay significantly in the background if possible. That's the trouble with the "front men" showing up.............they'll be pulled to the front no matter what they do.

Jimi LaLumia
02-09-2012, 01:46 PM
maybe the forthcoming UNSUNG episode will shame Motown/Universal into doing what they have to do to get THE MARVELETTES in there, where they belong!

Kamasu_Jr
02-09-2012, 03:34 PM
It sounds to me from the article like they are now inducting only the group members that were missed............but perhaps reading the RRHOF fame site might tell us.

Smokey will probably attend because he never seems to miss an opportunity to comment or show up at events, funerals, etc. If he does, he should stay significantly in the background if possible. That's the trouble with the "front men" showing up.............they'll be pulled to the front no matter what they do.

I agree. We always hear from Smokey. This should be a moment for Claudette, Pete, Ron White and Bobby [[and Billy Griffith-if he chooses to attend). Smokey has already been recognized for being a great singer, producer and songwriter.

zani57
02-09-2012, 06:28 PM
The Second Disc posted this news today along with the question of what other group-mates should be included... Which got me to wondering, when The Supremes were inducted, was it only Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard, or was Cindy Birdsong inducted, too? What about Jean, Linda, Scherrie or Susaye?

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/02/09/the-need-for-back-up-rock-hall-finally-inducts-classic-backing-bands/

Kamasu_Jr
02-09-2012, 06:33 PM
The Second Disc posted this news today along with the question of what other group-mates should be included... Which got me to wondering, when The Supremes were inducted, was it only Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard, or was Cindy Birdsong inducted, too? What about Jean, Linda, Scherrie or Susaye?

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/02/09/the-need-for-back-up-rock-hall-finally-inducts-classic-backing-bands/

Allegedly, Mary insisted that only the three original Supremes be inducted.

bradsupremes
02-09-2012, 07:33 PM
I worked at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum two years ago and I asked the same question why some people were included and why others were not? There was no definite answer as to who they include. The story about Mary insisting that the original three be included may be true, but the Rock Hall doesn't listen to artist demands when it comes to who is being inducted and who isn't. The Rock Hall includes who they want to include. I forgot which group it was, but the Rock Hall included all members of this group including a current member who had only been in the group for a few years while a former member who had been in the group for almost 20 years was not. Talk about unfair. Look at the Four Seasons...the original Four Seasons were included, yet Joe Long who was with the group for over 10 years during their hot streak was excluded. How do you explain that? As much as people want to blame Mary for why Cindy was excluded, it was really the Rock Hall's final decision. Believe me, there are lots of people at the Rock Hall who feel Cindy should have been included. I'll go as far as to say that Jean should have been included as well.

marv2
02-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Allegedly, Mary insisted that only the three original Supremes be inducted.

also allegedly, Diana insisted that just she alone be inducted and that Paul McCartney alone should be inducted!

marv2
02-09-2012, 11:45 PM
I worked at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum two years ago and I asked the same question why some people were included and why others were not? There was no definite answer as to who they include. The story about Mary insisting that the original three be included may be true, but the Rock Hall doesn't listen to artist demands when it comes to who is being inducted and who isn't. The Rock Hall includes who they want to include. I forgot which group it was, but the Rock Hall included all members of this group including a current member who had only been in the group for a few years while a former member who had been in the group for almost 20 years was not. Talk about unfair. Look at the Four Seasons...the original Four Seasons were included, yet Joe Long who was with the group for over 10 years during their hot streak was excluded. How do you explain that? As much as people want to blame Mary for why Cindy was excluded, it was really the Rock Hall's final decision. Believe me, there are lots of people at the Rock Hall who feel Cindy should have been included. I'll go as far as to say that Jean should have been included as well.

Now that makes sense and yeah, Jean Terrell definitely should have been in there in my opinion.

stephanie
02-09-2012, 11:48 PM
I was elated when I saw this thread at work! My only problem is its almost like the Miracles are sidemen and women or something. Smokey should be inducted with them I mean Eric Clapton is in three times! Neil Young twice! Nothing wrong with that. I should hope that Billy Griffin would be asked to show his leads gave them the biggest hit they had.

Nothing against Smokey I am glad he is in but he should have been inducted with the Miracles the first time and then as a songwriter. Im just glad these other groups are getting their just due. I was quite shocked that the Comets were not in with Bill Haley I didnt know that.

marv2
02-09-2012, 11:53 PM
I was elated when I saw this thread at work! My only problem is its almost like the Miracles are sidemen and women or something. Smokey should be inducted with them I mean Eric Clapton is in three times! Neil Young twice! Nothing wrong with that. I should hope that Billy Griffin would be asked to show his leads gave them the biggest hit they had.

Nothing against Smokey I am glad he is in but he should have been inducted with the Miracles the first time and then as a songwriter. Im just glad these other groups are getting their just due. I was quite shocked that the Comets were not in with Bill Haley I didnt know that.

I would have thought that Bill Haley & the Comets would have been in the first class of inductees seeing that how influenial an artist was was used to explain how acts were selected.

Kamasu_Jr
02-10-2012, 10:55 AM

I don't know if the story about Mary Wilson only wanting herself, Diana and Florence inducted is true or not that's why I said "allegedly." But it sounds like something she would do. She's insisted the originals be honored and other Supremes not. I do know Martha Reeves insisted all of the Vandellas be inducted with her-this came from Martha herself and that artists or inductees did have the power to include or exclude whoever.

skooldem1
02-10-2012, 11:11 AM

I disagree. Smokey Robinson was way more influential than the group "the Miracles". That's why he was inducted first- For HIS contribution to the music industry.

luke
02-10-2012, 12:09 PM
I dont know about Jean. The originals struggled for years to make it happen and were so iconic...

stingbeelee
02-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I disagree regarding Smokey being more "influential" than the Miracles. If we go by "influence" then should'nt Ron White be the first inductee because he discovered Stevie Wonder? The Miracles should have gone in first period. The Miracles are in anyone's listing as one of the greatest artists of all time, not Smokey Robinson. Motown may not have carried on for long without the Miracles. The Miracles wrote songs for the other artists at Motown. The Miracles were one of the few groups that practically everyone in the industry looked up to.
I am happy that they are going to be inducted, but they were not a "backing group". The other groups, if you look closely at their history, were not "backing groups". The Miracles were, are and will be one of the best and greatest rock-n-roll, R & B, and soul groups of all time, period. Their legacy simply cannot be denied.

bradsupremes
02-10-2012, 02:26 PM
I disagree. Smokey Robinson was way more influential than the group "the Miracles". That's why he was inducted first- For HIS contribution to the music industry.

To be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, an artist/group must wait 25 years after their first single to be eligible to be nominated. Smokey Robinson went solo in 1972, yet he was inducted in 1987. It means that it was only 15 years since his first solo release thus he was ineligible to be considered. The Rock Hall inducted him based on his previous work with the Miracles which means that the Miracles should have been the ones nominated and inducted, not Smokey. Had the Rock Hall followed its own rules Smokey would have first been eligible to be inducted as solo artist in 1997.

I firmly believe that Smokey's work with the Miracle has far more influence than his solo career. Although he did have successful singles as a solo artist, they don't compare to the timeless work that he did with the Miracles. I think you forget skooldem1 that a lot of the classic songs that Smokey wrote for not only his own group, but for other Motown groups as well were written with his group members, the Miracles. I don't disagree that Smokey has had significant influence on the music industry as a songwriter and producer, but as a solo artist....eh, not so much. His influence as an artist is based with the Miracles making them far more deserving to be in the Rock Hall than him as solo artist.

marv2
02-10-2012, 07:08 PM
I dont know about Jean. The originals struggled for years to make it happen and were so iconic...

Well, yes you do have a point. Florence started that group from the scratch and she a long with Mary, Betty and Diane did go through the rough times and hard knocks at the beginning playing hops, union halls and the like around Detroit.

marv2
02-10-2012, 07:15 PM
I disagree regarding Smokey being more "influential" than the Miracles. If we go by "influence" then should'nt Ron White be the first inductee because he discovered Stevie Wonder? The Miracles should have gone in first period. The Miracles are in anyone's listing as one of the greatest artists of all time, not Smokey Robinson. Motown may not have carried on for long without the Miracles. The Miracles wrote songs for the other artists at Motown. The Miracles were one of the few groups that practically everyone in the industry looked up to.

I am happy that they are going to be inducted, but they were not a "backing group". The other groups, if you look closely at their history, were not "backing groups". The Miracles were, are and will be one of the best and greatest rock-n-roll, R & B, and soul groups of all time, period. Their legacy simply cannot be denied.

I agree with Stingbeelee. The Miracles as unit made it possible for there to be a "Smokey Robinson" solo star. It was group [[and yes, their music) that first attracted the public. Without the early success of the Miracles [[all of the Miracles) and the Marvelettes, there may not have been a Motown Records to spawn a Smokey, Stevie Wonder , the Jackson Five, etc,etc. Give them their credit!

As far as a being a "backing group", the Miracles never were and no one I knew considered them one. To me a backing group would be those guys that backed Elvis on some of his records. The Jordanaires I believe is their name.

tmd
02-12-2012, 04:06 PM
I can't believe Jr. Walker is not in with his great sax playing. Shoot the work he did on Foreinger's Urgent should have got him in all by itself.

stingbeelee
03-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Smokey Robinson will induct the Miracles into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, including Marv Tarplin!
See article here: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120306/ENT04/203060444/

paladin
03-07-2012, 03:06 PM
To be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, an artist/group must wait 25 years after their first single to be eligible to be nominated. Smokey Robinson went solo in 1972, yet he was inducted in 1987. It means that it was only 15 years since his first solo release thus he was ineligible to be considered. The Rock Hall inducted him based on his previous work with the Miracles which means that the Miracles should have been the ones nominated and inducted, not Smokey. Had the Rock Hall followed its own rules Smokey would have first been eligible to be inducted as solo artist in 1997.

Great point !

marv2
03-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Great point !

He was right on the money with his point. They should have all went in together, the first time......