PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite early miracles song

test

arrr&bee
02-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Let's go back,way back to the beginning when mr.gordy was still[b.g.]and motown was[hitsville]what's your fav from a young smokey and the miracles,mine is[i cry]..your turn!

motony
02-08-2012, 05:05 PM
"Gota Job" & "Whats So Good About Goodbye" love em all!

marv2
02-08-2012, 05:39 PM
"Way Over There"! I, iy,iy,iyyyyyy........! LOL! Loved it. Oh and "Bad Girl"! That is a DETROIT song!

theboyfromxtown
02-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Aint It Baby
If You Mother Only Knew
That's The Way I Feel
Would I Love You

blkfrost
02-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Happy Landing.

bankhousedave
02-08-2012, 07:12 PM
I loved I Like It Like That and Monkey Time in the early days. Then My Girl Has Gone and the wonderful Going To A Gogo, which were probably later in the day, but you must forgive me because I'm only a youngster. Compared to dirt.

marv2
02-08-2012, 07:58 PM
I loved I Like It Like That and Monkey Time in the early days. Then My Girl Has Gone and the wonderful Going To A Gogo, which were probably later in the day, but you must forgive me because I'm only a youngster. Compared to dirt.

Ah, hehehehehehehe........!

paladin
02-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Shop Around

Thats whats Girls are Made Of

Gotta Dance to Keep from Crying

I Like It Like That

Would I Love You

In fact this was my first Miracles LP and I thought it was a hell of a deal at the time....still have it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/62/Miracles-greatesthits-1965.jpg

daddyacey
02-09-2012, 12:54 AM
"Whats So Good About Goodbye"
"I Need A Change" ****
"Mickeys Monkey" [[That bass and organ!!!!)
"Bad Girl"
"You Can Depend On Me"
"A Fork In The Road"

nabob
02-09-2012, 01:07 AM
[You Can't Let Boy Over Power] The Man in You - one of the favorites
You've Really Got a Hold On Me - The best of the early ones
I'll Try Something New - Dynamite lyrics
Would I Love You? - One of the best ballads from the early sixties with a convincing delivery
I Like It Like That
Bad Girl
A Love She Can Count On
I've Been Good To You

phil
02-09-2012, 07:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8fs4TH9zIg

westgrandboulevard
02-09-2012, 07:41 AM
"I'll Try Something New"

"Would I Love You"

"What's So Good About Goodbye"

144man
02-09-2012, 04:13 PM
My love for Motown was kickstarted by the Miracles' "What's So Good About Goodbye".

Roger Polhill
02-09-2012, 10:20 PM
"HappyLanding" and "Mickey`s Monkey"

marv2
02-09-2012, 11:12 PM
I also liked "Shop Around" and "I Got to Dance to Keep From Crying". I haven't heard or thought about these songs in years. The Miracles really did put out some really great songs for that era!

Motown4Ever518
02-12-2012, 09:27 AM
You Can Depend On Me! Combined the end of the Doo-Wop era with sparse intsrumentation, with the advent of a soulful singing style. Maybe too far ahead of it's time to be a big hit commercially. Also recorded in 1963 but a b-side for Special Occasion I believe, Give Her Up. The Programming Directors flipped it over a got a nice little hit in Philly.

robb_k
02-12-2012, 01:50 PM
"I'll Try Something New"

"Way Over There"

"What's So Good About Goodbye"

brother_love
02-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Would I Love You

arrr&bee
02-12-2012, 03:43 PM
If i may inject something here,take a good listen to a young smokey on[i need a change]the desparation in his voice sets this early miracles song apart as he pleads for her return[long before-ooo baby baby]almost makes you think it was written for ruffin[hehe]one of the best of his early work!

John Sands
02-12-2012, 05:05 PM
My sister had the 45 of "You've Really Got a Hold On Me' which she played over and over so when I think of the Miracles I think of that.

daddyacey
02-13-2012, 02:58 AM
If i may inject something here,take a good listen to a young smokey on[i need a change]the desparation in his voice sets this early miracles song apart as he pleads for her return[long before-ooo baby baby]almost makes you think it was written for ruffin[hehe]one of the best of his early work!

That's why I put **** after it on my list. I felt the same way.:D

mr_postman
02-13-2012, 06:01 PM
A spontaneous top five in no particular order:

[[You Can) Depend On Me
After All
Would I Love You
I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying
Whatever Makes You Happy

rovereab
02-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Mickey`s Monkey for me.

I love this section of RSG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2GBs-vJOlQ

marv2
02-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Mickey`s Monkey for me.

That was a great moment wasn't it? Historical now.

motony
02-13-2012, 10:13 PM
there will NEVER be artists that naturally talented & great in Rock & Soul again.Glad this was my time growin up & had great talents that came out of Motown Detroit to love & look up to. The Miracles did "Mickeys Monkey" when it was new on "Saturday Hop" a local Miami Bandstand show & ofcourse Claudette was in the group & they TORE it up, their performance is tattooed in my brain, it was so cool.

kalisa
02-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Mickey`s Monkey for me.

That Mickey's Monkey footage made me love the song [[which was formerly a "meh" on my Smokey favorites list)!!!

I'll Try Something New
What's So Good About Good-bye
You Really got a hold on me [[footage out there at the Apollo where he mixes it up with "Bring it on home"... wow! love it!!)
and...

all in one breath here...I know that you know how precious to care is and you know that I know my darling that there is .. nothing that means more to a woman than A love she can count on [[not saying that's my favorite, can't pick just one. I just love that line :) )

marv2
02-14-2012, 10:00 PM
That Mickey's Monkey footage made me love the song [[which was formerly a "meh" on my Smokey favorites list)!!!

I'll Try Something New
What's So Good About Good-bye
You Really got a hold on me [[footage out there at the Apollo where he mixes it up with "Bring it on home"... wow! love it!!)
and...

all in one breath here...I know that you know how precious to care is and you know that I know my darling that there is .. nothing that means more to a woman than A love she can count on [[not saying that's my favorite, can't pick just one. I just love that line :) )

"You Really got a hold on me " my brother Robert and I use to sing that song when were little kids and I mean really little ! He would sing Smokey's part and make me sing Bobby's part. LOL!

arrr&bee
02-15-2012, 02:03 PM
that mickey's monkey footage made me love the song [[which was formerly a "meh" on my smokey favorites list)!!!

I'll try something new
what's so good about good-bye
you really got a hold on me [[footage out there at the apollo where he mixes it up with "bring it on home"... Wow! Love it!!)
and...

All in one breath here...i know that you know how precious to care is and you know that i know my darling that there is .. nothing that means more to a woman than a love she can count on [[not saying that's my favorite, can't pick just one. I just love that line :) )good one,my favorite lines too from that smokey classic!

mr soul
02-15-2012, 04:13 PM
As well as most of those mentioned I like to add.

That's The Way I Feel
Ain't It Baby
Broken Hearted
He Don't Care About Me
Father Dear

stephanie
02-15-2012, 05:48 PM
I Got to Dance to Keep From Crying~

MotownSteve
02-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Mickey`s Monkey for me.

I have that on a DVD I got from the http://thevideobeat.com

Ryon6
02-15-2012, 06:32 PM
I'll Try Something New

Happy Landing

Whatever Makes You Happy

Choosey Beggar

Would I Love You

theboyfromxtown
02-15-2012, 06:46 PM
I find it the number of specific nominations for "Would I Love You" very satisfying. It's not been a song that has been recognised so widely in the past.

paladin
02-15-2012, 08:27 PM
I noticed that trend as well. I was happy that Dance To Keep from Crying and Mickeys Monkey where noticed too. The first time I heard "Crying" was at a block party and everybody just broke out dancing. The Miracles Mickeys Monkey has been indelibly branded in my brain, the music and their steps could easily define the way of Motown.........