PDA

View Full Version : Going to a Go-Go/Away We Go-Go: US or UK twofer?

test

carlo
08-04-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm trying to furnish my Smokey Robinson & the Miracles music collection. I would like to buy the "Going to a Go-Go/Away We Go-Go" twofer. It was issued in 2001 in the UK and then in 2002 in the US. Which version is better? I know the UK twofers are pretty much a bare bones package...so I'm leaning towards the US issue, but I just want to hear opinions regarding sound quality, etc. Was it remastered by Kevin Reeves?

carlo
08-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Also...now that Hip-O Select released, "The Early Albums"...is it safe to assume that a volume 2 will be coming in the future [[which will contain the "Go-Go albums")?

sophisticated_soul
08-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Hey Carlo, I don't have the 2001 version to compare, but based on the quality of that series as a whole I think the 2002 [[which I do have) is the better bet. The booklet is 15 pages long and has the picture of "Going" on the cover and "Away" on the back cover [[so you can rotate between covers). Also features three bonus tracks: "It's Fantastic" [[Stereo), "Goin' Out Of My Head" [[previously unreleased) and "A Fork In The Road" [[live and previously unreleased). Sound is great:-)

sophisticated_soul
08-04-2010, 11:52 PM
PS: Yes it was Kevin.

carlo
08-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Thank you!! :) Can't wait to get this one! Thank goodness it's not yet out of print.

Kevin always does a great job with the remastering.

honest man
08-05-2010, 04:26 PM
anymore bonus tracks on motown2 on1 cds i missed that one bought uk,short response still trying to send longer threads ,

762rob
08-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Carlo,

These are two of the very best Lps from the era and you will enjoy the historical liner notes as well.

jbpintus
08-07-2010, 09:24 PM
For the liner notes and sound quality, not even counting the outtakes, prefer the US version for the Miracles Gogo albums.

Don't make the mistake to be too hard with the UK 2fers though, they are all remastered albums, and most of them contain bonus tracks. Only exceptions are the Supremes, Temptations and J5 releases, even though we get some improvements on previous cd releases here and there - albums are less edited, TCB and Temptations Live at the Copa come to mind, and the Temptations and J5 2fers contain the remastered albums if they had been in 1998, ie about 2/3 of them

But... Martha Reeves and the Vandellas [[5 cds), Edwin Starr [[2), Isley Brothers [[1), Four Tops [[4), Jr Walker and the All Stars [[2), Marvin Gaye [[6) [[minus Here My Dear / In Our Lifetime and the Gaye / Terrell 2fer, albeit there's an alternate mix of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" not found elsewhere) and the 2 other Smokey Robinson and the Miracles have the best mastering and sound quality for these albums ever, and these are the cds to get.

JB

uptight
08-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Overall, I prefer the quality of the UK 2-fers.

carlo
08-08-2010, 03:15 PM
But... Martha Reeves and the Vandellas [[5 cds), Edwin Starr [[2), Isley Brothers [[1), Four Tops [[4), Jr Walker and the All Stars [[2), Marvin Gaye [[6) [[minus Here My Dear / In Our Lifetime and the Gaye / Terrell 2fer, albeit there's an alternate mix of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" not found elsewhere) and the 2 other Smokey Robinson and the Miracles have the best mastering and sound quality for these albums ever, and these are the cds to get.

I have the Vandellas twofers and they're great. The sound quality for The Supremes' twofers are not as good...since they are basically direct transfers of the 80's releases.

Thanks for the review! I am going to pick up the Four Tops and Miracles twofers very soon...

Kamasu_Jr
07-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Truthfully, those 2 on One Classics suck as far as sound. The sound weak, Motown music should boom with lots of bass and drums. Hopefully you bought the US versions. A lot of those 2 on One Classics should be remastered by Culture Factory.

kenneth
07-03-2013, 11:57 PM
The Gladys Knight UK 2-fers are very good quality as well, though on a few you really have to up the volume. Seems they were mastered at a really low sonic level. But lots of bonus tracks and of course the albums are great.

calvin
07-04-2013, 04:17 AM
Also...now that Hip-O Select released, "The Early Albums"...is it safe to assume that a volume 2 will be coming in the future [[which will contain the "Go-Go albums")?
Carlo, I have no inside information on this, but I believe it is NOT safe to assume that there will be a "volume 2" following "Depend on Me".

"Depend on Me" was a limited edition released in 2009 but it is still readily available. This suggests to me that it might not have sold as well as Hip-O anticipated.

Also, the albums that would make up a "volume 2" have already been released on cd, with some [[for example the two discussed in this thread) easy to purchase. This might lower sales expectations, as some people won't be eager to buy a set if they already have all or most of the albums in it on cd.

I'd really love to see a set with the later Smokey Robinson & The Miracles LPs - What Love Has Joined Together, A Pocket Full of Miracles, One Dozen Roses, and Flying High Together. I think that only one of these [[What Love…) has been released on cd and used copies of it tend to be very expensive. If Hip-O can't issue such a set, I hope they'll offer some of the smaller labels the chance to take the risk on a release of these.

But "here I go again", hoping for more releases...

Kamasu_Jr
07-04-2013, 12:05 PM
What you suggested Calvin makes sense, releasing the last four studio LPs by Smokey and the Miracles. But it's already been revealed that Smokey is not a strong seller. Releasing these LPs as downloads might work or leasing them to David Nathan's company especially Smokey's latter solo albums.

Motown4Ever518
07-05-2013, 05:04 PM
I have the US version, in addition to the three bonus tracks, everything about this set is first rate, starting with the original cover art. Agreeing with Kam that we may not see a volume number 2, lets put the last 4 albums out then.