PDA

View Full Version : Temptations 50th anniversary

test

Kamasu_Jr
02-08-2012, 08:38 AM
I got this for Christmas and only recently opened it and played it. I was surprised at how much I'd never heard like yet another alternate take of Just Let Me Know and the longer fade on why Did She Have to Leave Me. I like the packaging - the booklet is ike a kid's book and it's filled with photos and photos of picture sleeves -many rare. I also noticed that unlike the Supremes who recorded movie themes and cola jingles, the Temptations didn't appear to do any of that. Yet, they are one of few R&B acts to score four consecutive No. 1s.
I didn't see a thread on the 50th set and I thought I'd start one to see what other fans think.

soulster
02-08-2012, 09:43 AM
I still haven't bought it, and I probably should, as the run of them is quite small. The only reason I would buy it is if it had better mastering over the boxed set, which has most of the mono singles mixes up to about 1971.

SupremeBoy
02-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Are the mono mixes considered superior to their stereo counterparts. Seriously thinking about picking this up. I can never get enough of The Tempts.

soulster
02-09-2012, 12:59 AM
Are the mono mixes considered superior to their stereo counterparts. Seriously thinking about picking this up. I can never get enough of The Tempts.

Oh yes! The mono mixes were the ones the producers and engineers spent all their time on. They were the hits, not the stereo mixes.

SupremeBoy
02-09-2012, 01:46 AM
Oh yes! The mono mixes were the ones the producers and engineers spent all their time on. They were the hits, not the stereo mixes.

Thanks! I work in the financial district in NYC I'm going to stop by J&R Music World tomorrow and see if I pick it up there as they usually have Hip-O Select product in stock. I recently picked up The Tempts "Psychedelic Soul" disc and I've had it on heavy rotation since.