PDA

View Full Version : Motown on Soul Train!

test

marv2
02-07-2012, 05:32 PM
We know that Don Cornelius and Soul Train did a lot to promote Motown Artists. Many have appeared on the show over the years. How many can name? I'll start:

Mary Wilson/Supremes [[multiple appearances)
Gladys Knight & the Pips [[multiple appeances)
Willie Hutch
DeBarge [[multiple appearances)

JohnnyB
02-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Jackson Five [[multiple appearances)
Temptations
Marvin Gaye
Stevie Wonder
Commodores
Smokey Robinson
Miracles
Rick James
Teena Marie

reese
02-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Diana Ross
Martha Reeves and the Vandellas
The Dynamic Superiors
Eddie Kendricks
David Ruffin
Leslie Uggams
Yvonne Fair
Bettye LaVette

marv2
02-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Switch
High Inergy
Bonnie Pointer [[multiple appearances)
Four Tops [[multiple appearances)

BayouMotownMan
02-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Don Cornelius broke out High Inergy. I remember their first appearance. Someone at Motown dropped the ball because Barbara Mitchell was not allowed to perform due to her age [[15). Motown did not get juvenile performance clearance back in time. She was off to the side crying her eyes out. She told me this story herself. Big sister Vernessa Mitchell made mention of this during the interview. Linda Howard had been a Soul Train dancer and Don gave her recognition for that.

There is so much that Don Cornelius did for soul music. When he launched Soul Train, stations rejected the airings nationally because of the high-energized dancing. It was considered too sexually suggestive. Cornelius perservered, started out with a few stations and in only a couple years, via sydication, was coast to coast. He was an innovator. It saddens me that he suffered so much in his last years. I don't condone what he did, but I do understand. In time hopefully, when the media frenzy dies down, he'll be remembered for these accomplishments. There needs to be scholarships in his name, awards in his name, etc.

marv2
02-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Here is Marvin Gaye's classic performance on Soul Train from 1974:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhBAJHzIkQk

luke
02-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Marv-did Mary appear solo?

marv2
02-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Marv-did Mary appear solo?

No. Right after her first solo album was released she did a few American television guest appearances and then headed off to Europe for like 2 years. She has been a presenter on the Soul Train Awards though.

marv2
02-07-2012, 10:57 PM
The Surrender album is one of the most soul orientatied sets Ms. Ross ever
did one song in particular is "I Can't Give Back the Love I feel for you" is
an amazing performance by Ms. Ross even though she has strong backup
support from Nick and Valerie, and possibly others, [[The Jones Girls) were the
Andantes gone by this time but at one point in this tune 2:43
Diana hits an amazing high note. I won't even speculate saying it is someone
other than her, because the note is in her key, but it is an unusual one. I think
Motown should have let her go loose more in the last days of Diana Ross & The Supremes it would have been good for her career. This is one of the first post
s I have done praising Diana Ross. "I'm A Winner" is another fabulous track

Fran, it is very interesting that you mention "amazing high notes" in Diana Ross' Ashford & Simpson's productions. Word on the street about that, here in NYC would cause WWIII here on this forum hehehehehe....... There was some talk regarding this subject the week Nick Ashford passed.

marv2
02-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Another "classic Motown Moment" from Soul Train. Here are Smokey Robinson & Aretha singing "
Ooh Baby,Baby":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy75z0trlDk

luke
02-07-2012, 11:14 PM
I love her Vaaaalerie--big hit by the Monkees wasnt it? :)

carole cucumber
02-07-2012, 11:54 PM
http://www.listal.com/tv/soul-train/cast

scanspeak
02-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Thelma Houston.
Syreeta
Lamont Dozier [[post Motown days)

marv2
02-08-2012, 10:58 AM
I love her Vaaaalerie--big hit by the Monkees wasnt it? :)

Yes it was. Valerie knows how to hit big NOTES...........hehehehehehehe.

marv2
02-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Billy Preston
Rockwell
Mary Jane Girls
Dazz Band

smark21
02-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Did Vanity during her Motown tenure or The Good Girls ever appear on Soul Train?

marv2
02-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Did Vanity during her Motown tenure or The Good Girls ever appear on Soul Train?

I am pretty sure the Good Girls appeared on the show. Not sure if Vanity did while under contract to Motown.

marv2
02-08-2012, 11:39 PM
I am wondering if the Originals or Edwin Starr were ever on Soul Train. Does anyone know?

franjoy56
02-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Jr. Walker and The Allstars. did two songs "HIp City" & these eyes" then told Don we have to split.

marv2
02-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Jr. Walker and The Allstars. did two songs "HIp City" & these eyes" then told Don we have to split.

Ahh yes, I remember that and they performed live on that appearance!

kenneth
02-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Ahh yes, I remember that and they performed live on that appearance!

I always assumed everything on Soul Train was lip synched. Any opinion as to how much of the performances were actually live? Most of the Motown clips I've seen appear not to be, at least to my estimation.

marv2
02-09-2012, 11:35 AM
I always assumed everything on Soul Train was lip synched. Any opinion as to how much of the performances were actually live? Most of the Motown clips I've seen appear not to be, at least to my estimation.

True but every now and then they presented some live performances such as ones by Wilson Pickett, Al Green and James Brown Those are a few that I recall at the moment.

phil
02-09-2012, 02:01 PM
True but every now and then they presented some live performances

Though they were a minority,live performances were memorable. Like Smokey Robinson with a reduced band, Sly & Family Stone, James Brown, Al Green, Aretha Franklin, AWB...

Sometimes the artists sang live on a recorded tape.