PDA

View Full Version : M.I.A. could have to foot the bill for Super Bowl fines

test

jobeterob
02-07-2012, 02:00 PM
M.I.A. could have to foot the bill for Super Bowl fines

Rapper who flipped the bird at America might have to pay any incurring fines herself

February 7, 2012

M.I.A. could end up paying any fines imposed on NBC as a result of her Super Bowl half time bird flip out of her own pocket.

This is according to TMZ, which reports that "sources with direct knowledge" say the rapper, who gave the middle finger during her performance with Madonna and Nicki Minaj, signed a contract indemnifying the NFL and that the NFL has in turn indemnified NBC.

This, says the gossip news site, would leave M.I.A. holding the bag for any fines.

CBS was hit with a $550,000 FCC fine after Janet Jackson's famous "wardrobe malfunction" during the Super Bowl XXXVIII half time show in 2004. That time, Justin Timberlake tore at Jackson's costume to reveal a star-shaped pastie over her breast. Despite the seeming preparedness and strategic placement of the adornment, Jackson claimed the incident was unintentional. That fine was thrown out by a federal appeals court.

Sources reportedly tell TMZ the NFL is sending a message to performers that their antics can be costly.

M.I.A., real name Mathangi 'Maya' Arulpragasam, shouldn't have too much trouble paying any fines, though. Her fiance and the father of her son is Ben Brewer, a.k.a. Benjamin Bronfman, of the very, very rich Bronfman family.

soulster
02-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Is the FCC going to fine NBC, though?

StuBass1
02-07-2012, 02:36 PM
MIA should GO MIA right back to Sri Lanka and take her American made Billionaire husband with her and give THEM the finger. Let me hook up with some Billionaire sugar mama and I'll get on the halftime show with Madonna too.

motony
02-07-2012, 02:42 PM
perfect example of a very MINIMAL talent getting lucky.

tamla617
02-07-2012, 02:51 PM
stubass1
lol mia nfi

reese
02-07-2012, 03:00 PM
The funny thing is that during the performance, I didn't notice the finger at all. It wasn't until the media started talking about it that I went back and rewatched my tape.

That said, I could have sworn that I heard a "s**t", too, which made me wonder why at least that wasn't caught during the dress rehearsal. I thought that the networks were really cautious about such things since the Jackson "wardrobe malfunction".

randy_russi
02-07-2012, 03:27 PM
And WHAT was her purpose??? What an idiot!!!!!! No talent; no brains. I agree that SHE needs to go MIA!!!!!

marybrewster
02-07-2012, 03:32 PM
She is a pig. THIS is how she shows her talents to 117 million people? She needs a boot up her a$$.

And reese, for the record, I never saw the "finger", but I swear I heard an "S" bomb too.

jobeterob
02-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I believe they say the artists now have to sign contracts indemnifying the network against fines for the artists activity. LOL. I also saw an article with a headline indicating Madonna was not pleased by what happened. It will end up overshadowing the whole show.

smark21
02-07-2012, 08:53 PM
MIA says "shit" on her rap that's on the new Madonna single. A couple of years ago the New York Times magazine did a cover story on MIA and it pretty much destroyed the image she was building at the time as a revolutionary politically conscious rapper. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/magazine/30mia-t.html?pagewanted=all

soulster
02-07-2012, 10:27 PM
MIA says "shit" on her rap that's on the new Madonna single.

And...what's the big deal about that? If I had a dollar for every time any artist said "shit" on their recordings, i'd be wealthy.