PDA

View Full Version : Shorty Long - Here Comes Shorty Long: The Complete Motown Stereo Masters

test

blkfrost
02-07-2012, 11:55 AM
I see that Dusty Groove is listing a Shorty Long release for March. Is this an Ace release or Hip-O? No tracking list posted.

theboyfromxtown
02-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Well hellooooo to that piece of wonderful news. Well spotted!

RossHolloway
02-07-2012, 12:46 PM
This is good news!

copley
02-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Ace of course.

bankhousedave
02-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Wonderful.

the sound of young america
02-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Superb news!!!! :o

Well done Keith and all the ACE team.

Roger Polhill
02-07-2012, 04:12 PM
I`m fizzing at the bung.

woodward
02-07-2012, 04:47 PM
We should all get on our hands and knees and worship the ground that Keith, Mick, and all the other ACE staff walk on. We need to be indebted to them forever. Thank you all.

honest man
02-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Hello om bunging at the fizz........... Amazing to hear, i have the albums mp3ed with covers but this cd will be ultimate for me ,you lads are pulling out all the stops,thank you zillions,can;t wait cheers.

keith_hughes
02-08-2012, 05:21 AM
I see I've been scooped! Mick asked me to announce this yesterday, but things caught up with me.

Yes indeed, Ace are pleased to announce the upcoming release of this CD at the end of March. It will comprise the two Shorty Long LPs, never before released on CD, plus a couple of bonus tracks to complete the description "the Complete Stereo Masters" - stereo versions of "Mobile Lil The Dancing Witch" and "Chantilly Lace". Fans of Shorty who count the latter as their favourite Shorty track [[I'm one of them) will be delighted to discover this is a completely different - and unedited, so much longer - vocal take to the one that was used on the mono single.

Tony Rounce is writing the essay on this one, and I think a Motown celebrity interview will be incorporated. I shall be filling in the track notes and Mick will be co-ordinating our efforts, as usual.

Meantime, I've been struggling to bring together the components of the next Ace/Motown release in order to get it to you in April. There have been a few snags along the way with that one, but I hope we'll make it. Watch this space - and I'll try not to get scooped this time!

Keith

MIKEW-UK
02-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Ivy Jo Hunter?

motown_david
02-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Great news, Keith, Mick and Ace. another release to look forwward to and treasure.

bankhousedave
02-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Fantastic - a full, stereo version of Chantilly Lace. That track is a tour de force for Jamerson as well as Shorty,

RossHolloway
02-08-2012, 11:02 AM
I can't wait for this release but I was hoping for more unreleased tracks from the vault too...a real proper anthology.

keith_hughes
02-08-2012, 12:00 PM
The priority was the two albums. After that there wasn't much space left, and to fill out with the remaining stereo masters was an obvious choice. Personally, I'm not a fan of mixed-mode CDs, though sometimes it's inevitable. Our next release will be all-mono - that might answer MikeW's guess ... {smile!}

thommg
02-08-2012, 12:03 PM
I`m fizzing at the bung.

Not quite sure what this means but I love it as an expression!

RossHolloway
02-08-2012, 12:57 PM
The priority was the two albums. After that there wasn't much space left, and to fill out with the remaining stereo masters was an obvious choice. Personally, I'm not a fan of mixed-mode CDs, though sometimes it's inevitable. Our next release will be all-mono - that might answer MikeW's guess ... {smile!}

Is this a single disc set or a double cd?

kenneth
02-08-2012, 01:47 PM

All Mono could not be Ivy Jo Hunter then. A second Contours set maybe? Or perhaps one of the unsung hero[[ines) such as Carolyn Crawford or Linda Griner? Or a Gospel comp [[doubt it, but would love that)?

Constantin
02-08-2012, 02:25 PM
"Here Come The Judge"
"Night Fo' Last"
"Function At The Junction"
"Don't Mess With My Weekend"
"Ain't No Justice"
"Devil With The Blue Dress"
"Night Fo Last"
"Stranded In The Jungle"
"Here Comes Fat Albert"
"Sing What You Wanna"
"Another Hurt Like This"
"People Sure Act Funny"
"Mobile Lil The Dancing Witch"
"Chantilly Lace" [[alternative version)
"I Had A Dream"
"A Whiter Shade Of Pale"
"Memories Are Made Of This"
"I'm Walkin'"
"Cross My Heart"
"Lillie Of The Valley"
"Blue Monday"
"Baby Come Home To Me"

http://de.juno.co.uk/products/here-comes-shorty-long-the-complete-motown-stereo-masters/447063-01/

RossHolloway
02-08-2012, 03:19 PM
While I appreciate this collection in general, it's unfortunate this isn't going to be more of a comprehensive collection/anthology with unrelased or even live cuts. I mean, what are the chances that we will ever get another Shorty release? Why not just do a proper anthology like what has been done in the past with other artist: Jimmy Ruffin, Velvelettes, Isley Brothers, Chris Clark,....

pj1
02-08-2012, 10:07 PM

All mono.. Perhaps it's time to feature again a solo female artist... Hattie Littles, Debbie Dean, Carolyn Crawford, Linda Griner, Liz Lands
But time will tell..

snakepit
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Shorty Long tracks from the vaults...............in mono?

Roger Polhill
02-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Would the upcoming release be "Do You Love Me" extended.I don`t think that there are too many more Shorty unreleased tracks.I hope I`m wrong again.On Shorty that is.

Roger Polhill
02-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Fantastic - a full, stereo version of Chantilly Lace. That track is a tour de force for Jamerson as well as Shorty,

It`s Mr. Jamerson to you, you cheeky young shit.

grapevine
02-10-2012, 08:06 AM
...It will comprise the two Shorty Long LPs, never before released on CD, plus a couple of bonus tracks...Keith

...as long as it contains the sublime ...When You Are Available ...from his Prime of Shorty LP ...I'll be a happy man ...couldn't see this track in Constantin's list...?

:)

phil
02-10-2012, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=grapevine;92168.When You Are Available ....couldn't see this track in Constantin's list...?

[/QUOTE]

Grape, it's also one of my favorites but looking at the Juno link I'm afraid it's not on the CD : http://de.juno.co.uk/products/here-comes-shorty-long-the-complete-motown-stereo-masters/447063-01/

Why this ? :[[

keith_hughes
02-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Don't know where that track list came from. Here's the track list as it went down to mastering yesterday:

Here Comes The Judge
Night Fo' Last
Function At The Junction
Don't Mess With My Weekend
Ain't No Justice
Devil With The Blue Dress
Night Fo' Last
Stranded In The Jungle
Here Comes Fat Albert
Sing What You Wanna
Another Hurt Like This
People Sure Act Funny
Mobile Lil The Dancing Witch
Chantilly Lace
I Had A Dream
A Whiter Shade Of Pale
Memories Are Made Of This
I'm Walkin'
Cross My Heart
Lillie Of The Valley
Blue Monday
Baby Come Home To Me
I Wish You Were Here
When You Are Available
Give Me Some Air
The Deacon Work

RossHolloway
02-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Did anyone ever have a chance to see SL live in concert back in the '60s?

phil
02-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Don't know where that track list came from.

Keith,it comes from the Juno link posted above. For any reason [[ lack of space ?) only 22 tracks are listed.

Thanks for the good news !

144man
02-10-2012, 07:36 PM
My LP is scratched. At last I'll be able to listen to the brilliant "Baby Come Home to Me" again.

berry101
02-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Here Comes...Complete Motown Stereo Masters Amazon.co.uk pre order . Released March 26 Great bd pres for both me and Diane..........Added to my basket !

11.02 pounds

theboyfromxtown
02-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Search under Shroty Long

Too me ages to find it!

johnjeb
02-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Search under Shroty Long

Took me ages to find it!

That is funny. Both amazon UK & US have it listed under "Shroty" Long.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Comes-Complete-Motown-Stereo-Masters/dp/B0076L9WHI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1328976338&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Here-Comes-Complete-Motown-Stereo-Masters/dp/B0076L9WHI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1328977079&sr=1-1

Motown Treasures group on Yahoo! has a cover picture.

John, you are a true collector, in every sense of the word, looking everywhere until you found it. Bravo! For many of us technically challenged "seniors", traveling by car or subway and going store-to-store in our hunt is probably much less stressful.

honest man
02-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Hello i wonder if the mystery cd forecast for later maybe Shorty's earlier TRI-PHI and Motown singles and unissued mono sides prior to his albums,hopefully,also they include the alt version of I had a Dream on the mystery cd, ha.cheers.

grapevine
02-13-2012, 08:12 PM
...and Ace have chosen a great cover

mysterysinger
02-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Looks great, love it!

theboyfromxtown
03-23-2012, 04:57 AM
http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=8918

Kamasu_Jr
03-23-2012, 02:28 PM
http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=8918

I gotta admit I'm not a really big Shorty Long fan, but I liked his VIP & Soul singles so I ordered this to support more releases from Ace. I didn't like his second album at all, but did like some of the blues and party records he did.

MotownLover
03-23-2012, 09:37 PM
I gotta admit I'm not a really big Shorty Long fan, but I liked his VIP & Soul singles so I ordered this to support more releases from Ace. I didn't like his second album at all, but did like some of the blues and party records he did.

Kamasu - What did Shorty release on VIP? I am only aware of his Soul label releases.

Please advise. Just curious. Thanks!

Kamasu_Jr
03-24-2012, 02:27 AM
Kamasu - What did Shorty release on VIP? I am only aware of his Soul label releases.

Please advise. Just curious. Thanks!

I misspoke. I thought Devil with A Blue Dress was on VIP. It was on Soul. I told you I am not a big Shorty Long fan.

144man
03-24-2012, 08:00 AM
HMV haven't received this from their supplier yet, so I won't get my copy by release date.

radionixon
03-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Got mine this morning. Well, this is an excellent set, isn't it? I love me a bit of Shorty Long, but I'd never heard the second album before, so quite a bit of this CD is a revelation.

Highlights so far:

* "I Had A Dream" is a totally different take to the single version I know from TCMS 9 - this is old news, I know, but exciting to me nonetheless.

* "Chantilly Lace" is also a totally different take, and while I think the original can't possibly be bettered, this is still tremendous fun [[that opening "HEL-lo!" makes me think of Homer Simpson pretending to be Mr Burns, and his end-of-second-verse giggle is just awesome), and the stereo production and MASSIVE bass are remarkable. It's like hearing a live version, or something.

* "Mobile Lil" and its Parliament-style BVs sounds about five times better in stereo than the Cellarful 4 mono version, which was already out of the park.

* "Baby Come Home To Me" I didn't know before, but it's outstanding. Again, old news, but I'm giddy with excitement.

Shorty, Shorty, Shorty. No idea how this stacks up for seasoned fans, but for me it's immediately become indispensable; I'm having more fun with this than any Ace/Kent release since Dance With The Contours. All power to Keith Hughes and Tony Rounce for making this happen.

caliluv
03-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Good to see "Chantilly Lace" show up on this compilation. I would buy it just for "Call On Me" alone. One song that has only come out on Motown Singles.

radionixon
03-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Yep - sadly "Call On Me" doesn't feature on this set. The 45 version of "Chantilly Lace" is my favourite of Shorty's Motown cuts, but it doesn't appear here either - the new stereo version of "Chantilly Lace" that's included here is considerably different from the single version. It's a totally different take, it's quite a bit longer, and I'm guessing it was an earlier take [[Shorty incorporates more of the Big Bopper's mannerisms from the original, as well as a bonus extra throaty giggle). Absolutely worth having.

pj1
03-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Keith, Tony & Team,
Once again, congratulations on a fabulous job. It's great to have both albums on cd + the 2 bonus tracks.
The booklet essay reveals that there are only 3 more [[known) completed Shorty [[mono) vault tracks remaining, but more than a dozen songs Shorty was working on that were never completed due to his unfortunate drowning. I may well be in the minority here, but I think that a Cellarful of Motown devoted to unfinished tracks by various artists [[from 1st tier artists to the 2nd & 3rd stringers) might be an interesting body of work. It would reveal alot about the creative process. It would also allow fans of artists whose completed vault recordings are exhausted to have yet another shot of hearing something new from their favorite artist[[s)- even if it be a few snipets of rumored tracks.

pj1
03-31-2012, 07:20 PM
I just noticed that when I put "Here Comes ...Shorty Long" in the computer, track 19 comes up as 'I Cross My Heart' rather than the correct title noted in the liner notes and annotation, 'Cross My Heart'. Hmmh....

pj1
03-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Keith,
Is there a finished master of 'Give Me My Flowers While I'm Living' in the vaults? Or did the song evolve into 'Give Me Some Air'- as only Shorty is listed as composer?

mysterysinger
04-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Loving the CD - thanks a bunch.

"The Prime Of Shorty Long" always felt a little to me like an unfinished work - the too growly bass on "I Cross My Heart" [[I initially thought I had a fault with my speakers when I first played the LP), the trumpet on "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" which probably could have done with another take to perfect [[but I love it anyway). Great to have both albums on CD at last!!!

woodward
04-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Shorty had 3 records on the Trip Phi Label #1006, #1015, and #1021 consisting of five different songs. The first two had the same "B" side. Does anyone know if these selections are available anywhere else, i. e. a compact disc. I wish these had been included but there must be a problem with rereleasing Tri Phi songs. Any insight by anyone?

bankhousedave
04-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Roger:

I just saw where you called me a cheeky young shit. A cheeky shit I might be, but young?

Roger Polhill
04-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Dave I`m 65 and if you are younger then you are typical of today`s youth that have no respect for their elders.A fatal beating or two wouldn`t go astray.

bankhousedave
04-01-2012, 05:29 PM
When have I ever shown disrespect for either of my elders?

Nothing But Soul
04-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Shorty had 3 records on the Trip Phi Label #1006, #1015, and #1021 consisting of five different songs. The first two had the same "B" side. Does anyone know if these selections are available anywhere else, i. e. a compact disc. I wish these had been included but there must be a problem with rereleasing Tri Phi songs. Any insight by anyone?

To the best of my knowledge, Shorty Long's Tri-Phi singles have not been issued on CD. Harvey Fuqua, founder of the seminal doo wop group the Moonglows, started the Tri-Phi [[Shorty Long, the Spinners) and Harvey [[Junior Walker, the Five Quails) labels. He was married to Berry Gordy's sister Gwen. He was responsible for bringing Shorty Long, the Spinners and Junior Walker to Motown. It's my understanding that Motown acquired the rights to the Tri-Phi and Harvey masters, which would mean that Universal now owns them. It would be terrific if someone [[Ace perhaps?) would issue an anthology of the Tri-Phi and Harvey masters.

woodward
04-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Thank you Nothing But Soul. Your response is what I anticipated. I too agree that it would be nice if all them were redone on CD. ACE would do great in releasing them. It seems logical that Universal owns them. I don't know why they are keeping them from us.

keith_hughes
04-04-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't know of any evidence that Motown acquired the rights to the Fuqua masters, though they did cop a very few [["That's What Grils Are Made For" and some of the tracks on the second Junior Walker LP), and I don't know where they are now: not in the Motown Vaults, for sure.

Nothing But Soul
04-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks for clarifying that, Keith, although I'm sorry to hear it. I was really hoping to get the Shorty Long Tri-Phi singles and "Been a Long Time" by the Five Quails on CD. The person[[s) who compiled the 2003 Shotgun/Soul Session CD must have had access to the Harvey masters because "Willie's Blues", the B-side of Junior Walker's first Harvey single, is included as a bonus track.

RossHolloway
04-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Didn't the tracks that Jr. Walker cut while at Harvey end up as his Soul Session lp?

Nothing But Soul
04-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I tend to agree with you, Ross. I've always thought that most, if not all, of the Soul Session album was comprised of Harvey tracks. One good indication as to which of his tracks are pre-Motown is the absence of the bass of James Jamerson. There are also Harvey tracks on the Shotgun [["Cleo's Mood") and Road Runner [["Twist Lackawanna") LPs.

RossHolloway
04-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Nothing But Soul - With my ears, the tracks from Soul Session always sounded like they were recorded earlier than their Shotgun lp., which I always thought was strange when I first heard the album. And it was years later that I seem to recall reading that the album was in fact a collection of earlier pre-Motown recordings. Not to get too far off track, but does anyone know when and what Jr. Walker's first recording at Motown actually was?

mysterysinger
04-04-2012, 07:59 PM
There was, of course, a "Tri Phi" CD a few years ago which included the Five Quails material - here is a pic and a track listing.....

The Spinners
Their Early Years
With Harvey, The Five Quails & The Challengers
Tri Phi CD 1001

Tracks
Spinners
-That's What Girls Are Made For
-Subuster
-Heeby Jeebies
-Love [[I'm So Glad) I've Found You
-What Did She Use
-I've Been Hurt
-I Got Your Water Boiling
-Too Young, Too Much, Too Soon
-Itching For My Baby
-She Don't Love Me

Harvey & Spinners
-Whistling 'Bout You
-Come On And Answer Me
-She Loves Me So

Loe & Joe & Spinners
-That's How I Am Without You

5 Qualis
-Been A Long Time
-Never Felt Like This Before
-Get To School On Time
-I Thought
-Over The Hump
-My Love

Challengers
-Honey Honey Honey
-Stay
-Everyday
-I Hear An Echo

Harvey
-Memories Of You

Nothing But Soul
04-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks, Mysterysinger, I did not know about the "Tri Phi" CD. I checked on allmusic.com and they gave it a favorable review, although they mentioned that there are no liner notes, songwriting credits or pictures of any of the artists other than the Spinners. This makes me wonder if this CD could possibly be a bootleg like the Ric-Tic Relics CDs.

mysterysinger
04-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Bootleg or not I might never have heard the majority of these tracks were it not for this CD. It is an enjoyable listen.

danman869
04-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Got an e-mail late last night from Amazon US telling me that the release has been delayed again, this time from 4/10 to 4/17. I wonder what created this second delay? I'm sure it'll be worth the wait, though. Excited for this one from what I've read here!

pj1
04-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Just thought I'd bump this up as Mr. Hughes may not have seen it.

Keith,
Is there a finished master of 'Give Me My Flowers While I'm Living' in the vaults? Or did the song evolve into 'Give Me Some Air'- as only Shorty is listed as composer?

Nothing But Soul
04-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I received emails from blowitoutahere.com yesterday that the Shorty Long "Complete Stereo Masters" and "Nobody Wins: Stax Southern Soul" [[another new Ace release) were shipped to me on April 6 and should arrive within 3 to 10 business days. I pre-ordered both of these several weeks ago. "Blowitoutahere" is an Amazon market place seller, but since Amazon does not list market place sellers for a CD until it has been released, I ordered directly from the blowitoutahere.com website. Their price is lower than Amazon's and it looks like I'll be getting these CDs sooner from them.

kenneth
04-07-2012, 01:25 PM
I received emails from blowitoutahere.com yesterday that the Shorty Long "Complete Stereo Masters" and "Nobody Wins: Stax Southern Soul" [[another new Ace release) were shipped to me on April 6 and should arrive within 3 to 10 business days. I pre-ordered both of these several weeks ago. "Blowitoutahere" is an Amazon market place seller, but since Amazon does not list market place sellers for a CD until it has been released, I ordered directly from the blowitoutahere.com website. Their price is lower than Amazon's and it looks like I'll be getting these CDs sooner from them.

I have ordered many items from Blowitouttahere but only through Amazon so checked out their site. Wow, the Shorty Long CD was really hard to find in their own site. It's listed as "Here Comes: Complete Motown Stereo Masters" and doesn't seem to have the singer's name cataloged at all! But it is a good price, $14.98. Thanks for the tip.

robb_k
04-07-2012, 05:08 PM
I remember reading that Harvey Fuqua died. If Gwen Gordy is still alive, she would be the one to contact about acquiring rights to use recordings.

I always thought that ALL the Hardye Productions recordings went to Motown in the 1963 "merger/fold-in" of Harvey/Tri-Phi with Motown. I didn't think that all their Jr. Walker cuts, and "Some Day We'll Be Together" and "Just Too Much To Hope For" and a few other songs, whose publishing rights changed from Harvey Music to Jobete Music, were bought in individual deals. Has someone checked BMI.com and ASCAP.com to see who owns those Shorty Long songs, now?

theboyfromxtown
04-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Robb

Gwen passed a good ten years ago now.

Could possession be considered as ownership if all parties were no longer?

robb_k
04-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Robb

Gwen passed a good ten years ago now.

Could possession be considered as ownership if all parties were no longer?
By law in USA and Canada, the rights would fall to the issue [[sons and daughters of the original owners [[Gwen and Harvey), for. I believe, the remainder of the copyright period of the parent, and then [[if I'm not mistaken) for 20 years after that. After those 20 years, the property enters the public domain Isn't that also the case in UK and all of Europe? I thought I read that Europe just recently voted to extend those rights the extra 25 years, to 75, to match the ,North American laws.

I thought that Harvey Fuqua's son has been handling his rights. Did Gwen have children?

robb_k
04-07-2012, 07:01 PM
I just checked BMI.com. Just as I suspected-EVERY ONE of Shorty's Tri-Phi songs has its publishing rights owned by Motown's Stone Agate Music [[formerly Jobete Music). I will now check the other Tri-Phi songs. I'd bet the farm that they are also owned by Motown publishers.

What I had heard many years ago was that Harvey and Gwen were compensated for those rights when they and their companies were folded into Motown [[maybe Gwen's % share in the company was increased [[or she was given a share?)and Harvey was compensated with cash and a position as a major producer? And those rights were then transfered to Motown Record Corp. and publisher Jobete Music. I always thought that the master tapes went into The Motown Vaults. Why else would Five Quails acetates and Harvey/Tri-Phi papers, contracts, etc. have been physically there at Motown? Harvey and Gwen would have taken them home if they were not owned by Motown.

robb_k
04-07-2012, 07:18 PM
After checking songs for The Spinners, Five Quails, Challengers III, Harvey, Merced Blue Notes and Ervin Sisters, I found that almost all are still published by Stone Agate. The Challengers [[III) and Ervin Sisters weren't there. But that might be a result of them being overlooked at renewal time, or that Motown just didn't want to renew them, or that they are still published by a Motown ASCAP publisher?, or some mistake.

I suspect that Universal/Motown should still have the rights to sell CDs with Shorty's Tri-Phi product. They should still have the master tapes as well [[I would guess).

keith_hughes
04-08-2012, 12:26 PM
"Give Me My Flowers": no trace of that title in the Motown paperwork I've seen, pj1.

keith_hughes
04-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Clearly Jobete acquired the publishing rights to most of those titles: "Someday We'll Be Together" would have been unlikely to have been selected for the last DR & TS single if they hadn't. But did they acquire Fuqua's masters? I am not the only person who has hunted for them unsuccessfully in the Vaults. And I believe the legal people have not found any paperwork to cover such a sale, so even if the tapes could be found, UM would be unlikely to clear such material for release now.

robb_k
04-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Can't Harvey Fuqua's son be contacted? Wasn't he contacted previously for other issues? Isn't he the one that runs the website on The Moonglows, and Harvey Fuqua's biography?

Roger Polhill
04-08-2012, 04:58 PM
I can supply a copy of "What`s The Matter" on cd if anyone is interested. Just leave your address in notifications. Regs. Roger.

theboyfromxtown
04-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Who is the talking voice with Shorty on "Stranded In The Jungle"? That's the Originals providing backing, I can hear that as clear as day.

So I am thinking it might be Freddie "Mr Postman" Gorman?

pj1
04-09-2012, 08:46 AM
John,
I assume you mean the line "Meanwhile back in the city/jungle". If you listen to The Motown Story Volume 1 : The 1960's, cd 2, song 19 [[or even the vinyl version), there is a snippet of an interview with Freddie Gorman. It sounds like it may well be Freddie's voice.

theboyfromxtown
04-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Silly me, I forgot to mention the part where there was talking but you are spot on! *smile*

I recall Freddie's voice being quite deep, that's what me think that it was him. By the way, my original 1968 mono album version is not the same as this stereo version.

The whole ACE album is just superb. I so love Shorty Long. He was my favourite male vocalist in the 60's. I was quite upset when I heard of his passing.

I'd like ACE to do his complete MONO masters too....I'm greedy like that! At least it would have this MASTERPIECE....the vocal for instrumental version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyea1KQUgH4

Kamasu_Jr
04-09-2012, 10:07 AM

The whole ACE album is just superb. I so love Shorty Long. He was my favourite male vocalist in the 60's. I was quite upset when I heard of his passing.

I'd like ACE to do his complete MONO masters too....I'm greedy like that! At least it would have this MASTERPIECE....the vocal for instrumental version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyea1KQUgH4

Wow! Shorty Long was your favorite male vocalist. That's quite an endorsement. My dad says he remembers some people around Detroit not taking him seriously because of some of his "party" records. He says he didn't buy Shorty's first soul album until the 1980s although he had ample opportunity to do so in 1968. He also remembers the day they announced Shorty's death on CKLW just hours after the accident occured.

theboyfromxtown
04-09-2012, 10:52 AM
I chose Shorty as my favourite because it was always his tracks that I used to play. At that time, I had as many tracks by him as I did Levi, Marvin and Stevie but Shorty was always the one I was always playing.

I read about his passing in a music paper NME or Record Mirror and it was a very tiny reference. I learnt more when I saw the liner notes on his second album! At least, he left his mark in my life and I am thankful he did.

westgrandboulevard
04-09-2012, 11:30 AM
theboyfromxtown

I always thought Shorty must have been a real character to be around - for example, Sylvia Moy recalling how he'd show up unannounced at her house, and at all times, then stand outside calling "Sylvia! Sylvia!!..."

theboyfromxtown
04-09-2012, 11:55 AM
I suspect you're right and it was somewhat confirmed when I spoke to Joe, Uriel and Eddie of the Funk Brothers when they played New York with Darlene Love as guest vocalist. That night they performed "Here Comes The Judge" [[much to my absolute delight) and I heard Joe Messina play that guitar line featured on the recording. It kinda freaked me out to think he remembered it! The guys confirmed to me that Shorty was more at home jamming with the musicians than he was with being an artist.

Acetates and old tapes left in the old Detroit dumpsters found their way over to the UK [[as did a lot of stuff) and I always remember hearing The Old Miner playing me "Fat Man In The Third Row" [[which ended up as Here Comes Fat Albert) and hearing the playful interaction between Shorty and the band.

westgrandboulevard
04-09-2012, 12:09 PM
...not forgetting that album cover of Shorty dressed as 'The Judge', his countenance resembling a mischievous cherub..:)

bankhousedave
04-09-2012, 01:08 PM
The late lamented Weldon Arthur McDougal III and Shorty were best friends. Weldon told me Shorty could never pass a hotel piano and would always put on a performance for the guests. I believe he also played drums and trumpet. He would turn up with a bottle of something and get the Funks jamming. Both they and the Andantes especially liked working with Shorty and Here Comes The Judge was their favourite album to work on back then.

zani57
05-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Here is a review from The Second Disc blog --

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/05/08/review-shorty-long-the-complete-motown-stereo-masters/

tamla617
05-09-2012, 03:26 PM
shorty's night 'fo last instrumental was on a 16 big hits or motown memories lp[[maybe both!)i couldnt understand what the title meant.it wasnt until about 5 years ago i got "here comes the judge" lp and "found" the vocal.the title made sense at last!