PDA

View Full Version : Everyday You're Good Babe

test

Sugarchilehoneybaby
02-06-2012, 11:29 PM
O M G

Okay, yes Miss Sugarchile shor is feelin herself on this song and what I'm about to write.

This COMPLETELY NEW mix of "You're Good My Child" is THE most revelatory track by Diana Ross - the artist - the oracle - to EVER escape from the vaults.

Point blank.

Okay, Harry-Andy-George-Kevin, fess up and tell us if this mix is a true "vaults mix aka alternate mix" or...a new mix. Because whomever had the ear to envision this baby is a genius. This mix takes us into Teena Marie territory!

This precursor to what evolved musically afterwards was this song - but only if this recording had been mixed exactly as it is presented here in this Deluxe edition. You see, this mix is amazing. THIS MIX of THIS SONG, and slyly re-titled "You're Good My Child [[Everyday You're Good)" would have shaken the R&B music world, and by extension due to Diana's influence and pre-eminence, the pop world as well.

It would have hit #1, and would have pushed the erotic bounds of popular music out of the ballpark. Every single aspect of Diana Ross' vocal performance here is moist, dripping with sex appeal. This vocal take [[which I suspect is actually, mostly, NOT a comp vocal) shows off Ross's unique talent at its rawest and most real.

CNN HEADLINE:

Motown legend Diana Ross Finally Discovered to be a Soul Singer. U-S President Barack Obama making speech right now about it...

#30#

Diana Ross is a silky, sexy, sexy...and pretty-voiced interpreter of sharp lyrics married to passionate, organic, sweeping music. Note the organic aspect. It's all real. There is a sweeping, erotic passion on this recording that would have made the FCC bristle, but what could they have done to censor the song? Not much! It's the type of song where everyone, especially every woman, KNOWS what it means. But lyrically, you can't assail it. It's sweet and innocent. But women [[especially sistahs) will be doing a Mary & Flo and sang and chant along with Miss Ross with "you're good baabe! oooh-ooh, you're GOOD babe!"

The way she giggles when recording, the personality she exudes, it all merges with the reality that she has an amazing, unforced lower register which is secretly the hallmark of her success. Hers is a contained, throating, bluesy yet kittenish sound reminiscent of many of the great ladies of jazz.

And yet, on this remix of "You're Good My Child", Diane also displays that "yes honey", she can belt pretty well when she needs to~!

Even more startling is that the type of crescendo created on this mix calls to mind her signature solo #1 song "Upside Down." The buildup, the release of tension, and the fact that on the fadeout, she actually submits to the music, letting its throbbing symphony overtake her. But making it clear that she can tend to her business.

This mix of this recording, if released perhaps even today, could be one of those revelations uncovered in the tributaries of R&B, in which a "missing link" in the DNA is discovered. Who is Diana Ross? She was sweet, sexy soul singer that Berry Gordy turned into a princess. He was very protective of her and probably didn't want her to ever cross the line into becoming known more for making overtly sensual music than pretty love songs. But the magic of Diana Ross is multi-faceted. Yes, she can be ALL THAT.

This is the song that should have followed "Love Hangover". This is the song that Rick James wanted to be the first one to make with her to show off her real power and soul, ripe with sensuality. This would have opened up that hidden side that "Upside Down" finally reminded the public of, what with "Love Hangover" now being considered PG enough to show Diana in a silly dance sequence with Fletcherbird on The Muppet Show!

Okay, I seriously need to quit. LOL Y'all feel me? Spin it and holla back!

RossHolloway
02-07-2012, 10:24 AM
What are you talking about?

thommg
02-07-2012, 10:59 AM
So, Miss Sugarchile, I'm guessing that this is your favorite track of the new deluxe edition. Any other new and revelatory tracks we need to keep an ear out for?

Sugarchilehoneybaby
02-07-2012, 01:26 PM
So, Miss Sugarchile, I'm guessing that this is your favorite track of the new deluxe edition. Any other new and revelatory tracks we need to keep an ear out for?

The new mix of "One Love In My Lifetime" marries the best elements of both familiar mixes with new elements as well, such as backgrounds, and extended fade, and some focus on the extra funky, almost spacey, rhythm guitar work. It's the perfect mix!

"Harmony" is my fave of the unreleased tracks, but "Le Lo Li" is cool, and "Go Where Your Mind Is" is amazing for Miss Ross' multi-tracked backing vocals. It's like George Clinton meets Sesame Street is the only way I can describe it! [[LOL) Not commercial for sure, but very interesting and something different to anything else she's recorded.

The new mixes and alternate vocals on Disc 2 are all amazing.There's an alternate of "To Love Again" with spoken verses in French [[!) over the intro ramp!

The 15-minute interview is wonderful as well.

tamla617
02-07-2012, 06:38 PM
deluxe edition of which album?

robbert
02-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Diana Ross '76... OF COURSE... LMAO

tamla617
02-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Diana Ross '76... OF COURSE... LMAO

well unless i got plugged into bletchley park's cryptologic bomb how was i supposed to work out half of whats been posted here

Motown Andy
02-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi SCHB,

Thank you for your kind post. This is without a doubt my favorite alternate mix on the album. All of the songs on disc 2 are new mixes, as are the last four songs on Disc 1.

Your theory is certainly plausible about the album version of You're Good My Child. The song was arranged by famed conductor Don Costa, and I speculate that because it was recorded so close to the release date, that the elements weren't used simply because of a lack of time. Regardless of the reason, when we heard the multis, we were blown away, and we knew we had to use them.

Kevin Reeves, George Solomon and I had an incredible session last December. Brad Scarton was visiting and helping out in the studio, and the session lasted an incredible 15 hours! It was probably the best session I've ever had in my entire career. It was that day we put the finishing touches on those incredible Kevin Reeves mixes.

For Child, I decided to do the breakdown, and George worked meticulously on Diana's vocals. Kevin made it all happen brilliantly, and Brad gave his input, even helping out with that great ending. We did a few touch ups in subsequent sessions, and the result is what you hear. As Kevin always says, "it's all in the tapes," and he's right, but the secret is all how you unlock it. I'm proud of our team, we do it together, and the result is what you hear.

I'll be on John Perrone's Nightflight Tuesday, February 21, if you want to listen in at WOMR.ORG. John, will post a reminder to SDF before the show. I'll tell more about this story and others that aren't in the booklet about the sessions. I'll even tell a story about this album and how it ties to another great Diana Ross project still to be announced. I hope you'll tune in!

Andy