PDA

View Full Version : Millie jackson's unsung airs tonight [[mon. 2/6/12) at 10pm

test

glencro
02-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Tune in, it should be an interesting one.

Roberta75
02-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Tune in, it should be an interesting one.

Thanks for the heads up.

Roberta

daviddesper
02-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Rats! Missed your message by a couple of hours. Any re-broadcast that you are aware of?

reese
02-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Most likely, it will air again this Friday at 11am est. And again, next Monday night at 9pm est. There should be other showings as well.

luke
02-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Well done. I never knew about the tragic death of her mom when Millie was so young. Millie sure is a survivor and thriver. Walked away from her first record deal due to conflict of interest. Guts!!

theboyfromxtown
02-07-2012, 10:22 AM
I'd love to see this show and I'm sure a lot of Brits would too. If anyone has a link, I'd appreciate it being posted. We're now only getting Judge Judy repeats and I know all the decisions which makes it a tad boring.

glencro
02-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Here's a link of the full episode...at 67 she's still sumthin else
http://tvone.tv/unsung-videos?pid=0KxWqIMqYDGrDYJTeQ7NMq00UFDUcR8w

nosey
02-07-2012, 10:48 AM
My husband and I saw her in Atlantic City at Club Harlem in 1976 when she was 8 months pregnant with her son. She put on one heck of a show. When she was singing My Man is A Sweet Man, she was patting her belly, squatting, the whole night yards. Then we saw her again in the 80s and she was on stage cussing out the stage hands because they didn't have her Heineken's in the dressing room! LOL!

glencro
02-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Lol gotta love her nosey....just raw & uncut

theboyfromxtown
02-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Here's a link of the full episode...at 67 she's still sumthin else
http://tvone.tv/unsung-videos?pid=0KxWqIMqYDGrDYJTeQ7NMq00UFDUcR8w

Thank you Glencro. I'm gonna have to wait till you guys in the States go to sleep cos it seems like everyone is watching it now. I got up to "Ask Me What You Want" but then it tells me it is no longer available

randy_russi
02-07-2012, 03:31 PM
I thought Millie made great R&B records in the 70s, but in person she over did it with being vulgar and using four
letter words. At first it was funny, but after awhile, it loses its effect. She never did recover!!!! She should
have stuck more with singing.

luke
02-07-2012, 09:49 PM
I tend to agree with Randy. They showed a clip of her singing FU symphony and thrusting her hips. Had to bleep out the whole thing. Got tiring and crude to me. Interstingly she did not like her early hits-she felt they said nothing of interest--Ask Me What You Want and MY Man is a sweet man.

daddyacey
02-08-2012, 03:25 AM
This was a good show. Millie Jackson is Millie Jackson. She is real. She is in the range of Glady's but admits she didn't want to sing those type of songs ,so she sang songs she felt. Millie is that person ,that you know is going to be point blank ,no sugar coating on a subject. May make you feel uncomfy for a min ,but you know it's true. That Miss Thelma from upstairs , the girl at work etc......

Millie Jackson chose to go the same route as "Blowfly" and Luther Campbell , that followed afterwards. They went against the grain but yet they all have a following and they did make a good bit of money for themselves. Millies cover of Luther Ingrams "If Loving You Is Wrong" ,is a classic performance, [[she not only sang that song but she also straight up put the song in it's straight up uncutfunk context). It's as awesome as the original and as inovative as Isaac Hayes ,"Phoenix" [[the template for it and), The Isley's "It's Too Late" and New Birth's "I Don't Want To Do Wrong" ,just to mention a few. It was a revolutionary era in Soul/R&B. The fact that it and also many others are not played on so called Classic Soul radio is a testimate to how restrictive and limited "Classic Soul Programming" is. Though it charted on the Soul Charts of the time in the mid numbers ,it was played in all the houses of my friends and at parties and clubs. It just goes to show IMO how the Soul/R&B genre history is being Pop/generalized in the current media. Though some exposure is at least better than none, the truth and the real facts and history are known and discussed in forums such as this one and hopefully will be recognized eventually as it should be.

splanky
02-08-2012, 09:54 AM
I liked Millie just as she was. Raw. I loved her cover of the Delfonics Didn't I Blow Your Mind and always got a kick of
her saying "I should have blown your brains out"...LOL. We all knew the deal with Millie back then...

randy_russi
02-08-2012, 11:28 AM
I just felt she should have stuck more to singing and less to Richard Pryor type of comedy. I loved her early records!
Ask Me What U Want and My Man Is a Sweet Man were hits too.
Doesn't she now live in Pompano Beach, FL?

reese
02-08-2012, 11:58 AM
As a small child, I first saw Millie singing ASK ME WHAT YOU WANT and MY MAN, A SWEET MAN on Soul Train. I loved both of those records, and my aunt bought them for me. Later, I bought HURTS SO GOOD. Then all of a sudden, my parents stopped letting me listen to her records. I didn't know what the deal was.

Of course, as I grew older, I was able to listen to CAUGHT UP, STILL CAUGHT UP, FEELIN' BITCHY,etc. At their best, those albums had sharp raps as well as great singing. To me, she hit her peak with the LIVE AND UNCENSORED album. After that, I thought the raps were sounding a bit forced, and the songs themselves weren't as great. Still, I love Millie to death. And whenever I hear she's coming to town, I am there.

luke
02-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Maybe I dont get it. Is her act basically about sex now? Does it rise above adolescence?

randy_russi
02-08-2012, 02:56 PM
luke, I don't know what her shows are like today as I haven't seen her since the 80s--I saw her three times and she
progressively got more vulgar and just down right ridiculous in my opinion. Again, she should sing more than she
swears. And--is she a singer or a comedian???

reese
02-08-2012, 03:02 PM
I've seen her a few times in the past ten years or so. I felt sorry for her the last time, as there were so few people in the audience. She was booked in a huge theatre, and I don't think there were even a hundred people there. But she still put on a good show. I think she's calmed down somewhat, but she's still Millie:-).

There's a recent dvd out that was filmed at Sunset Junction in CA. Clips from it were shown in the unsung episode

randy_russi
02-08-2012, 03:40 PM
She does have a website: www.weirdwreckuds.com and there are two dvds available including the one reese mentions
above. However, under tour dates, nothing is listed.

randy_russi
02-08-2012, 03:42 PM
and under "news" it says: Millie is on the road. Check out the tour dates page, but nothing is there.

ms_m
02-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Watch Full Unsung episode: Millie Jackson
http://www.soultracks.com/millie-jackson-unsung

heikki
02-09-2012, 01:58 AM
Hi!

Millie is a featured artist at many blues festivals this spring
http://www.bluznewzentertainmentandpromotions.com/index

Best regards
Heikki