View Full Version : Diana's Superbowl appearances

test

skooldem1
02-05-2012, 12:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBVpHBL2Dtc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umlyDp83I5w

jobeterob
02-05-2012, 02:12 PM
She seems to generally make many of the Top 10 lists for Superbowl appearances.

But after the helicopter exit, you could hardly leave her off.

I wonder if she sat that way until the helicopter landed at the hotel??
That wouldn't be my idea of fun.

skooldem1
02-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I read that she was the first mainstream artist to sing the national anthem, and also the first female to headline the halftime show. Pretty impressive.

smark21
02-05-2012, 03:23 PM
I read that she was the first mainstream artist to sing the national anthem, and also the first female to headline the halftime show. Pretty impressive.

She blazed the trail for Kelly Clarkson to sing the Anthem and Madonna to perform the halftime show this year.

jobeterob
02-05-2012, 04:00 PM
30 years ago for the National Anthem..................long time.

jobeterob
02-05-2012, 07:06 PM
home search about photos back issues contact advertise
Showtune Sunday: Can Madonna’s Super Bowl show match the Diana Ross spectacular from 1996?
By Greg Hernandez on Feb 5, 2012 12:13 pm | Comments [[0) |

I’m biased.

Madonna could turn water into wine during her halftime show at the Super Bowl today and I still wouldn’t think she could hold a candle to the great Diana Ross.

Diana performed the 1996 half-time show and I watched it with a buncha guys at Ripples in Long Beach. Remember everything about her performance but not who won or who even played!

Oh, good grief.

So here is the spectacular Miss Ross treating the crowd to so many of her hits during a 12 minute show.

Enjoy it all over again!

jobeterob
02-06-2012, 02:57 AM
Madonna's show was good, but Diana's was better. Diana is more of an entertainer and she worked that stage harder than Madonna did. Both put on good shows but Diana's had more to it.

R. Mark Desjardins
02-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Anyone who caught Diana Ross' 1996 half time show would NEVER forget her exit of the stadium via a helicopter with the entire procedure being film by a crew stationed above the helicopter and capturing her being lifted up, up & away and then being whisked back to her hotel. I was lucky enough to have my VCR capture the event and later transferred it to DVD and can enjoy this spectacle time and time again! Madonna's half time show was good, but doesn't touch the sheer mind blowing factor of Diana's appearance. Maybe safety concerns would rule out any duplication of what magic performance back in the day!

captainjames
02-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Dang, I had forgot how good that was!!!
Madonna was great
Diana was AWESOME !!!!!

carlo
02-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Madonna's show was good, but Diana's was better. Diana is more of an entertainer and she worked that stage harder than Madonna did. Both put on good shows but Diana's had more to it.

I respectfully disagree. While I do think that Diana's half-time show was/is better, I think Madonna worked a lot harder at it. She did a lot of physically demanding choreography and the complicated staging was probably difficult to learn. However, I think Diana's half-time show still holds up not only because of her dramatic exit, but also because she is a natural star. Diana did not have had all of that choreography like Madonna did and so I'm sure she probably didn't have to prepare as much, however, Diana gives off a natural charm that makes her the star that she is. Diana doesn't need to rely on as much theatrics and production. It's difficult to do a proper comparison between Diana and Madonna because they're both so different from each other. Both have given great half-time shows.

bradsupremes
02-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Carlo, also remember that Madonna was lip-synching to much of that performance whereas Diana sang live throughout her entire show until the very end when she was being lifted off in the helicopter. This is why I have a major problem with a lot of singers today during performances like this. Yeah I understand the whole spectacle of it all, but you are a singer first. Your singing should be your first priority and I lose a lot of respect for artists who don't sing live due to their unnecessary choreography. That's what dancers are for.

Roberta75
02-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Carlo, also remember that Madonna was lip-synching to much of that performance whereas Diana sang live throughout her entire show until the very end when she was being lifted off in the helicopter. This is why I have a major problem with a lot of singers today during performances like this. Yeah I understand the whole spectacle of it all, but you are a singer first. Your singing should be your first priority and I lose a lot of respect for artists who don't sing live due to their unnecessary choreography. That's what dancers are for.

I have to disagree with you bradsupremes. Madonna sang live on all songs with the exception of the new single, "Give Me All Your Luvin" with M.I.A.

I loved Madonna's show yesterday and thought Like a Prayer was absolutely fantastic. She may not dance like she used to but heck she's 54 years old. That said, Diana's is still my favorite.

Roberta

jobeterob
02-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Diana was 51 when she did her show. How old is Madonna now?

Were Papa Don't Preach, Holiday, Lucky Star or Like A Virgin in the show? Maybe some of those were considered inappropriate. I didn't catch them if they were there.

Madonna's program seemed less theatrical and more planned and premeditated. But perhaps as stated by many above, we are just usuing different wording and Diana's was just a bit more entertaining. Madonna certainly did a good job and it is a bit hair splitting.

smark21
02-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Well Madonna used the same man who choreographed Diana's Super Bowl halftime show: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505266_162-57371824/man-behind-madonnas-super-bowl-show-jamie-king/

Madonna is now 53. She still moves pretty good for her age, plus she's getting over a hamstring injury. She performed Vogue, Music, Give Me All Your Lovin [[her new song with Nicki Minaj and MIA), then she was joined briefly by LMFAO [[one of the members is Berry Gordy's son or grandson, I believe) then she was joined by Cee Lo Green for Open Your Heart/Express Yourself and then she, Green a choir closed it with Like a Prayer. I thought overall she did a good job. Nice to see her smile and just work on being glitzy and entertaining rather than take herself too seriously or go for irony or push people's buttons. She'll always be the type who won't go all out with "please love me" type performance, and she's not afraid of being a bitch on stage and in performance, but it's a nice change for her to be more of a traditional entertainer looking to give the audience a fun show.

I checked itunes a bit ago. Madonna has gotten a big boost for her performance. Her new album, which is on pre order, is number 1 and a recent greatest hits collection is #3. Her new single is #2, behind Kelly Clarkson's current single, and Like a Prayer is at #17.

Do any of the Ross chart experts here know what kind of boost Take Me Higher got after Ross' Superbowl performance in 1996 as that was her current album at the time.

jobeterob
02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
That's a good analysis of Madonna's performance Smark.

I agree that with Diana you get a kind of all out affair, I love you and you'll love me by the end of the show, especially after I give you my all...............whereas, Madonna is more business like; she does come off a little like she knows she's special; and of course, she is.

Take Me Higher didn't do much after the Ross Superbowl Appearance. And they weren't ready to release I Will Survive in North America; even if it went Top 10 in England. Motown was in disarray in those years and nowhere near the force it had been. And it also was a different era. But I'm sure many Ross CDs and albums got big boosts after the show. That has always been the norm.

More than anything, I thought Madonna's song choice was a little odd.........but maybe she, like so many others [[The Supremes at Madison Square Garden) wanted to push her new songs.

LMFAO is BG's grandson and nephew, I think i read. Maybe grandnephew???

smark21
02-06-2012, 09:22 PM
That's a good analysis of Madonna's performance Smark.

I agree that with Diana you get a kind of all out affair, I love you and you'll love me by the end of the show, especially after I give you my all...............whereas, Madonna is more business like; she does come off a little like she knows she's special; and of course, she is.

Take Me Higher didn't do much after the Ross Superbowl Appearance. And they weren't ready to release I Will Survive in North America; even if it went Top 10 in England. Motown was in disarray in those years and nowhere near the force it had been. And it also was a different era. But I'm sure many Ross CDs and albums got big boosts after the show. That has always been the norm.

More than anything, I thought Madonna's song choice was a little odd.........but maybe she, like so many others [[The Supremes at Madison Square Garden) wanted to push her new songs.

LMFAO is BG's grandson and nephew, I think i read. Maybe grandnephew???

Other than the new single, which just came out, she didn't do new songs last night. Music is from 2000, Vogue from 1990, Open Your Heart from 1987 and Like a Prayer and Express Yourself are from 1989. She did a mini greatest hits set with time taken to promote the new song. She wouldn't have taken the Super Bowl gig if she didn't a new song and album to promote, and it seems to have worked.

Glenpwood
02-06-2012, 10:04 PM
LMFAO consists of Berry Gordy's son and grandson....

carlo
02-07-2012, 01:04 AM

I used to share this same opinion, but I've realized that all singers at some time or another lip-sync. While Diana did sing live at the Superbowl, she has lip-synced many times over the years, with and without The Supremes.

The Superbowl Half-Time shows are known for being a spectacle more than anything else, so even if she didn't sing live, it doesn't bother me.

I think Madonna is extremely talented. She's 53 years old. Very few people could pull off a performance like that. Props to her.

ejluther
02-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Love the helicopter exit - I only wish there'd been a camera shooting from inside the copter, too...