PDA

View Full Version : The Pips

test

franjoy56
02-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Does anyone know where are the two surviving Pips, I think one of them passed away
but what is Bubba Gladys brother and the other fellow, his name escapes me the one who stood
on the end [[light skin) doing these days. In their day up until the group split they had some fabulous dance steps.

reese
02-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Bubba is usually on tour with Gladys, and has a segment in her show. I'm not sure what William is currently doing. I think he had his own record label at one point.

marv2
02-03-2012, 01:35 AM
Bubba is usually on tour with Gladys, and has a segment in her show. I'm not sure what William is currently doing. I think he had his own record label at one point.

William Guest lives in the Detroit Area with his family.

milven
02-03-2012, 02:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGCCWG_-k4A

uptight
02-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Great clip of Bubba Knight. And it's pretty recent.

captainjames
02-03-2012, 09:35 AM
lol
Good blog and good clip and a different twist from what is usually here.
Love it.
Thank You

paladin
02-03-2012, 10:12 AM
quite refreshing for a early morning wake up........

skooldem1
02-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Did the PIPS sing on record all the time, or were they replaced by session singers sometimes?

milven
02-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Bubba was always the most entertaining, funny and energetic Pip. The audience continues to love him in when he "unexpectedly" appears at Gladys' shows. Watching that recent clip, it is unbelievable that he will be celebrating his 70th birthday this year. And it is nice that Gladys is comfortable with herself and shares the spotlight with Bubba.

Here is a clip from the eighties where Gladys and Bubba switch roles. This is Bubba Knight and the Pips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKQIVJtZH6w

TMSG
02-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Saw Bubba when he appeared with Gladys on her British tour last year. He was really entertaining and a good singer too. Great to see such a close brother/sister relationship between these two.

uptight
02-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Man, they always had top-notch choreography, intricate moves. And always in sync. Their stage movements were highly underrated.

Skooldem, "Just Walk In My Shoes" on their first Motown LP Everybody Needs Love included [[you guessed it...) The Andantes, but it was with the Pips, not replacing them -- similar to the ladies backing The Four Tops.

uptight
02-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I saw Bubba performing with Gladys at the live TV taping of Motown 45 in L.A. If I remember correctly, he recruited a couple of temporary Pips from the audience as a form of audience participation. I was under the impression that he doesn't always perform with Gladys, only once in a while.

milven
02-03-2012, 11:49 PM
He performs with her more often than not. He has been with her the last four times that I saw her and I am hoping that he will be with her when I see her in June. I remember Bubba on Motown 45, but I thought that he used celebrities as Pips. Why is Motown 45 not on You Tube or anywhere? I remember that Gladys did a fantastic version of Neither One Of Us. I can't find it on You Tube. I'd also like to see Mary Cindy and that Destiny's Child singer performance from that show.

reese
02-04-2012, 01:35 AM
I saw Bubba performing with Gladys at the live TV taping of Motown 45 in L.A. If I remember correctly, he recruited a couple of temporary Pips from the audience as a form of audience participation. I was under the impression that he doesn't always perform with Gladys, only once in a while.

On MOTOWN 45, the Pips were Bubba, Cedric the Entertainer, Joey Fatone, and George Lopez.

uptight
02-04-2012, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the correction. My videotape of the broadcast has been packed away for years.

motony
02-04-2012, 11:31 AM
didn't the Pips have their own LP after they split with Gladys?Seems I remember a Pips Lp on Columbia in the 80's?

reese
02-04-2012, 12:59 PM
didn't the Pips have their own LP after they split with Gladys?Seems I remember a Pips Lp on Columbia in the 80's?

They released two lps on Casablanca: AT LAST and CALLIN'.

luke
02-04-2012, 06:00 PM
The Mary, Cindy, Kelly segment is on youtube. When I saw Gladys a couple of years ago Bubba opened the show and was vg.

MIKEW-UK
02-04-2012, 06:45 PM
There are four Pips on the "Callin' " album, and it is very good indeed. The fourth Pip is Bunny Sigler, who wrote all the material, produced it and sings on it with the Pips. It's the Bunny Sigler / Phil Intl sound throughout. Furthermore the musicians are Instant Funk. It deserves much more recognition that it gets. Without digging it out from the crates, I seem to recall Tom Moulton did the mixing. Here's a couple of tasters;

Anything http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyGN3hrvGtA

and Love You Tonight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFTnMjqyLfA

MIKEW-UK
02-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Here's the back cover image with credits..... Tom Moulton credited on two tracks.

motony
02-04-2012, 09:51 PM
wow, very good.I knew they had done their own thing but I guess my world at the time was happenin so fast that I never stopped & listened...very good! Thanks so much for hippin me to it. Bunny is one TALENTED cat!