PDA

View Full Version : Jean Terrell [[Rare Recording) I Feel Like Drumming A Beat!

test

marv2
01-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Here's a rare Jean Terrell recording called " I Feel Like Drumming A Beat" I don't know anything about this record or when she recorded it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHsLUB5Md8E

carlo
01-31-2012, 09:40 PM
It's produced by Bobby Martin, who I believe was also responsible for producing her A&M solo LP [[I can't remember). There are two other unreleased tracks from those sessions: "Do You Believe In Love At First Sight" and "You're A Very Special Part Of My Life". The tracks were released on the following CD [[they can also be purchased on iTunes):

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/bobbymartinpres

I think they're actually outtakes from her A&M LP.

marv2
01-31-2012, 09:52 PM
It's produced by Bobby Martin, who I believe was also responsible for producing her A&M solo LP [[I can't remember). There are two other unreleased tracks from those sessions: "Do You Believe In Love At First Sight" and "You're A Very Special Part Of My Life". The tracks were released on the following CD [[they can also be purchased on iTunes):

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/bobbymartinpres

I think they're actually outtakes from her A&M LP.

Thanks Carlo. So that means it had to have been recorded sometime in the mid to late 70's. Nice song but her voice sounds different. She sounds most like herself towards the end of the record.

blueskies
01-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks Carlo. So that means it had to have been recorded sometime in the mid to late 70's. Nice song but her voice sounds different. She sounds most like herself towards the end of the record.

I'd have to agree. Her voice sounds much lower than I'm used to hearing. Interesting.

luke
01-31-2012, 11:11 PM
Is that the same Do you believe...that Ms Dionne did?

marv2
01-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Is that the same Do you believe...that Ms Dionne did?

YES! I couldn't remember who recorded it first, but then I read it was Dionne that did the original. She and Jean have similar vocal qualities in my opinion.

carlo
02-01-2012, 01:01 AM
I can hear a change in her voice on her A&M LP as well.

franjoy56
02-01-2012, 02:09 AM
Does anybody know where one can find the A&M Terrelll release I had to Fall in Love, i don't see it on Amazon, my vinyl has a crack in it, and those sides were out of cite espcially Rising Cost of Love, Change Up, No One Like My Baby, Don't Stop Reaching for the Top incidentally charted on the R&b chart in the 70's. She tells it like it is on the DVD Through the eyes of a supreme, but sort of glossed over the story of the Supremes break up.

Calv1971
02-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Franjoy56 - If you are after the CD of the album it is on Amazon, both .com and .co.uk, l didn't scroll down any further to see if there were vinyl copies, if that is the format you wanted

captainjames
02-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Well, that is definitely different from what I am use to hearing from Jean.

BayouMotownMan
02-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Those tracks in reference here were to be used on a projected Jean Terrell solo album for a company called Monster Records. When that idea perished, Bobby Martin shopped Jean to other labels. Herb Alpert at A&M loved them and signed Jean. From there the excellent I Had To Fall In Love sessions began

luke
02-01-2012, 10:39 AM
IMO Jeans album was a huge bore. MOR.

captainjames
02-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the info, my ears was not hearing the same thing as the "I Had To Fall In Love" sessions.

Those tracks in reference here were to be used on a projected Jean Terrell solo album for a company called Monster Records. When that idea perished, Bobby Martin shopped Jean to other labels. Herb Alpert at A&M loved them and signed Jean. From there the excellent I Had To Fall In Love sessions began

selinasian
02-01-2012, 12:37 PM
But with fabulous background vocals by Clydie King, Sherlie Matthews and Venetta Fields.

thommg
02-01-2012, 12:56 PM
It almost sounds like her vocal has been slowed down slightly. Just a much deeper sounding voice than I expect to hear from Jean, yet it definitely has her sound.

jeff9nyc
02-01-2012, 05:32 PM
These recordings were done more recently...years after her solo album. They were produced by Bobby Martin and are part of a compilation CD under his name.

johnny_raven
02-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Jeff: These recordings were from 1976 ... Before her solo LP.