PDA

View Full Version : "Something" by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas

test

marybrewster
01-31-2012, 01:46 PM
"Something" by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas. I'm curious to know more about this song. What makes me interested is it was included on TWO MRatV LP's: "Natural Resources" and "Black Magic". Not that it was that out of the ordinary, but back-to-back LP's?

Was this intended as a possible single? Was this a part of their stage show at the time? Were there no other "filler" tracks left in the can to add to "Black Magic"?

reese
01-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Good question. But there probably isn't a good answer. As their recent LOST AND FOUND collection shows, there were many unreleased tracks that could have been used instead of having SOMETHING appear on two consecutive albums. IMO, SOMETHING is a good album track, but I don't think it would have made a good single.

The same thing happened with the final two Marvelettes albums which had two tracks that were repeated, when there were other usable songs in the can.

mysterysinger
01-31-2012, 06:32 PM
In the UK, "Dancing In The Street" appeared on 3 consecutive Martha and The Vandellas albums viz
TML11005 Heat Wave
TML11013 Dance Party
TML11040 Greatest Hits

nabob
01-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Ask Any Girl
Where Did Our Love Go?
More Hits

The Way You Do the Things You Do
Meet the Temptations
Temptations Sing Smokey

Tears of a Clown
Make It Happen had the album name changed to Tears of a Clown
One Dozen Roses after becoming a hit following single release after several years

There are probably other examples as well.

dzMusica
02-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Filler. Most of the songs on the heatwave album, besides like 3 songs, had already been sung by other artists, So that was cheap filler. Get to market and ride the hit.

Roger Polhill
02-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Tracks that were repeated include: Miracles "I`ve Been Good To You", Won`t You Take Me Back", Your Love", Marvin Gaye "That`s The Way Love Is", Martha & Vandellas "There He Is [[At My Door)", Edwin Starr "War " & "Way Over There" ,Jr Walker "Road Runner", "What Does It Take" "How Sweet It Is", "Cleo`s Mood", "Ame` Cherie", "Sweet Soul" & San Ho Zay" & Gladys Knight "No One Could Love You More"

144man
02-01-2012, 06:07 PM
I think "Road Runner" is a different mix. The piano is more prominent on the second LP.