PDA

View Full Version : What are your two LEAST favorite types of music and WHY?

test

soulster
01-30-2012, 01:23 PM
I notice a lot of people on this forum claim a dislike of hard rock and rap music, so I thought it might be a good thread for those with dislikes to tell about why they don't like certain types of music.

After thinking about it and having been exposed to some modern country, a style of music that I have actively hated, I can say that there is really no music that I dislike. I like some of everything, and a lot of a few.

How about you?

timmyfunk
01-30-2012, 02:56 PM
I can only list two?

1980's hair metal.
Country music post-1985.

Both genres send me running to the medicine cabinet.

soulster
01-30-2012, 03:45 PM
I can only list two?

1980's hair metal.
Country music post-1985.

Both genres send me running to the medicine cabinet.

They give you a headache, but what specifically is it about these two types of music that rub you the wrong way?

copley
01-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Rap & heavy metal are simply just a noise which I can't listen to.

144man
01-30-2012, 07:46 PM
1) 98% of Rap

2) 60's Reggae. The beat is so monotonous and predictable.

luke
01-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Much country and much of jazz. Country seems too similar to me[[tho I like a bit of it) and I just dont get much of jazz--bores me to death.

smark21
01-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Opera--I just don't like the singing style necessary though I respect the talent and artistry, but I don't like it as my parents played it quite often at dinner while growing up.

Techno: Gives me a headache, the music only works if you're on some serious drugs.

tsull1
01-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Rap -- Bad lyrics, doesn't take talent to do it, no melody, no lyrics, no MUSIC.

Death Metal -- Or whatever that gravel-voiced, loud yelling is behind fast guitars. I think some group called Pantera does it. Actually, it's worse than rap. Simply horrible.

mark speck
01-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Most rap/hip-hop and Heavy Metal [[notice I said 'most'...there are songs here and there that I like in both genres).

The problem I have with rap is that it has been inflicted on me in the past...where I used to live, I had a hard time sleeping due to idiots sitting in their cars blaring it out the window...and I didn't DARE tell them to quiet down, lest they be armed.

Heavy metal was what a lot of the guys who picked on me at school listened to...that's primarily why I don't like it.

Best,

Mark

texassoul
01-31-2012, 09:19 AM
RAP - because it is depressing music and it's demeaning to women

Opera- because I don't speak Italian ;o)

roger
01-31-2012, 10:10 AM
I've never heard any Chinese or Javanese/Indonesian Opera music that makes me want to do anything other than reach for the off switch .. not only can I not understand any of the lyrics but the "music" just seems to consist of discordant bangs and crashes,

Does that count as two types of music? :)

Roger

soulster
01-31-2012, 12:34 PM
My main dislike of country in my younger years was that it evoked the image of the ignorant, neo-conservative, alcoholic, racist, redneck. Oops! Did I just describe Hank Williams Jr.? :D

I'm still not too keen on opera, as the male singers' overwrought vibrato makes me look for something to throw. I've got some English-language opera. It's worse. I like rock-operas, though.

nosey
01-31-2012, 12:53 PM
Most rap/hip-hop and Heavy Metal [[notice I said 'most'...there are songs here and there that I like in both genres).

The problem I have with rap is that it has been inflicted on me in the past...where I used to live, I had a hard time sleeping due to idiots sitting in their cars blaring it out the window...and I didn't DARE tell them to quiet down, lest they be armed.

Heavy metal was what a lot of the guys who picked on me at school listened to...that's primarily why I don't like it.

Best,

Mark

I solved that problem once Mark. I put my boom box in the window and blasted my classical tape and after about 5 minutes my doorbell rang and we called a truce. That was in the 90s; a different day, huh.

bankhousedave
01-31-2012, 01:06 PM
I used to like some techno - I would listen to Trevor Nelson's show if I'd just flown back from somewhere and was driving home from the airport in the evening. I'm sure it made the car go faster. But the main kind of music I can't stand is anything that has no musicianship on it, of whatever genre, especially if it has that kind of antiseptic production that is resistant to any form of life. Although a lot of country music is fatuous and sympathy grabbing, there's generally something going on somewhere, although a little too much in the major key for me.

But god preserve me from tracks produced by non-musicians, programming and looping diggety-dig rhythms and digital plunking. I have to leave the building in search of a baritone horn player or somebody to dirty the thing up.

soulster
01-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Death Metal -- Or whatever that gravel-voiced, loud yelling is behind fast guitars. I think some group called Pantera does it. Actually, it's worse than rap. Simply horrible.

I forget what it's actually called, but I started liking some of it while jumping around XM Radio one day. I guess it works when I get in the mood to hear an aggressive, primal, testosterone-charged assault, where the vocals sound like Thor trying to break out of the pits of hell.

timmyfunk
01-31-2012, 06:56 PM
They give you a headache, but what specifically is it about these two types of music that rub you the wrong way?

As I've grown older, I've come to see how important the blues factor is in music. It's more important to me now than it was when I was coming up as young lad. Both of those genres amount to zero in terms of blues factor. Hair metal sounds like it was funded by companies that make mousse, which is probably why it hasn't stood the test of time. Contemporary country is nothing more than pop with a slight country twang at the end. People always say that the storytelling is what set country music apart, but upon careful inspection those stories can bore you into a coma. The music is so limp and lifeless that it is almost tragic.

timmyfunk
01-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Much country and much of jazz. Country seems too similar to me[[tho I like a bit of it) and I just dont get much of jazz--bores me to death.

That's a pretty honest reply.

timmyfunk
01-31-2012, 07:02 PM

Best,

Mark

OK, now you got me. A while ago, I once brought up the question of whether or not heavy metal breeds racism. I received numerous varied responses. Your last sentence is quite telling and valid. I personally feel that there is something about heavy metal that can really fuel agression. I have no scientific evidence to support this belief, but it's just something that I've witnessed over time.

soulster
01-31-2012, 08:56 PM
As I've grown older, I've come to see how important the blues factor is in music. It's more important to me now than it was when I was coming up as young lad. Both of those genres amount to zero in terms of blues factor. Hair metal sounds like it was funded by companies that make mousse, which is probably why it hasn't stood the test of time. Contemporary country is nothing more than pop with a slight country twang at the end. People always say that the storytelling is what set country music apart, but upon careful inspection those stories can bore you into a coma. The music is so limp and lifeless that it is almost tragic.

Good point! Rock music of the 60s and 70s was blues-based. Somewhere in the 80s, speed-metal destroyed that.

soulster
01-31-2012, 08:58 PM
That's a pretty honest reply.

And, that's what this thread is for. You don't have to right or wrong, just post your honest thoughts. People like or dislike particular music for a variety of reasons.

soulster
01-31-2012, 09:02 PM
OK, now you got me. A while ago, I once brought up the question of whether or not heavy metal breeds racism. I received numerous varied responses. Your last sentence is quite telling and valid. I personally feel that there is something about heavy metal that can really fuel agression. I have no scientific evidence to support this belief, but it's just something that I've witnessed over time.

I do not believe metal breeds any kind of racism, but I would say that the majority of it's fans are White, and some of them might be racist. Just like country music. Except, there is a history of some country artists actually being racists.

mark speck
01-31-2012, 11:26 PM
I don't think metal breeds racism...and I happen to be white...it's white dopers who listen to that crap that used to beat me up.

Nosey--my friend and I once drove through part of the 'hood long ago blasting Led Zeppelin from his car stereo. Nobody said a damn thing then...LOL!

Best,

Mark

soulster
02-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Racists can use any kind of music to extend their racist attitudes.

timmyfunk
02-01-2012, 07:11 PM
I do not believe metal breeds any kind of racism, but I would say that the majority of it's fans are White, and some of them might be racist. Just like country music. Except, there is a history of some country artists actually being racists.

And the incidents involving Courtney Love leading an audience to chant the n-word for no apparent reason, the Axl Rose scandal with the song "One In A Million", and the Disco Sucks rally in 1979, are but a few examples of how racism seems to creep easily into the heavy metal/rock crowd.

soulster
02-01-2012, 07:41 PM
And the incidents involving Courtney Love leading an audience to chant the n-word for no apparent reason, the Axl Rose scandal with the song "One In A Million", and the Disco Sucks rally in 1979, are but a few examples of how racism seems to creep easily into the heavy metal/rock crowd.

However, it does not make metal music a racist vehicle. Remember that Jimi Hendrix, a Black man, was one of heavy metal's pioneers. If anything, it has a closer association with satanic ideas.

P-Shark: The Revenge
02-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Jimi wasn't heavy metal. He was psychedelic. And don't associate Jimi with satanism!

blueskies
02-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Country music, rap, heavy metal.....just can't relate to it. Those folks aren't talking to me. No right or wrong. Just different tastes.

soulster
02-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Jimi wasn't heavy metal. He was psychedelic. And don't associate Jimi with satanism!

Read what I wrote again: I said that metal music, if anything, has a closer association with those with satanic ideas. Do not play a strawman. I did not say Hendrix was satanic.

And, I disagree with you. Hendrix was at the forefront of heavy metal music. Just listen to his early albums.

timmyfunk
02-01-2012, 08:22 PM
However, it does not make metal music a racist vehicle. Remember that Jimi Hendrix, a Black man, was one of heavy metal's pioneers. If anything, it has a closer association with satanic ideas.

I'm saying that incidents like this seem to happen within the heavy metal community more than in any other genre. No black artist in his/her right mind is going to engage in activities of a similar nature, knowing full well that they are trying to appeal whites as well as blacks.

timmyfunk
02-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Read what I wrote again: I said that metal music, if anything, has a closer association with those with satanic ideas. Do not play a strawman. I did not say Hendrix was satanic.

And, I disagree with you. Hendrix was at the forefront of heavy metal music. Just listen to his early albums.

No, Led Zeppelin was at the forefront of heavy metal music. Jimi was more at the forefront of acid rock.

soulster
02-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm saying that incidents like this seem to happen within the heavy metal community more than in any other genre.

And country music fans?

02-01-2012, 08:47 PM

And, I disagree with you. Hendrix was at the forefront of heavy metal music. Just listen to his early albums.The closest thing to heavy metal that he recorded was Machine Gun

timmyfunk
02-01-2012, 10:22 PM
And country music fans?

Hank Williams Jr. pretty much takes care of things in that field. Just like you said. And Tobi Keith probably ain't too far behind.

soulster
02-01-2012, 10:42 PM
The closest thing to heavy metal that he recorded was Machine Gun

Naw! Listen to any of the following:
Love Or Confusion
I Don't Live Today
Can You See Me
Spanish Castle Music
Crosstown Traffic
All Along the Watchtower
Voodoo Chile [[Slight Return)
Hear My Train-A-Comin'
Fire

These are the same as any other of the songs that the other early metal makers were doing back in the late 60s like Bue Cheer, Vanilla Fudge, Led Zeppelin, and others.

timmyfunk
02-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Love Or Confusion
I Don't Live Today
Can You See Me
Spanish Castle Music
Crosstown Traffic
All Along the Watchtower
Hear My Train-A-Comin'
Fire

These are the same as any other of the songs that the other early metal makers were doing back in the late 60s like Bue Cheer, Vanilla Fudge, Led Zeppelin, and others.

Heavy metal is definitely a 1970's musical phenomenon. Cream are Vanilla Fudge definitely more in the realm of Acid rock.

imnokid
02-01-2012, 11:42 PM
I hate music that sucks. And then I hate music that REALLY sucks.

02-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Love Or Confusion
I Don't Live Today
Can You See Me
Spanish Castle Music
Crosstown Traffic
All Along the Watchtower
Hear My Train-A-Comin'
Fire

I personally don't consider any of those groups heavy metal. More hard rock & psychedelic. To me heavy metal is loud, obnoxious & soulless. Like Iron Maiden, Ratt, Def Leppard & Rush Limbaugh

soulster
02-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I personally don't consider any of those groups heavy metal. More hard rock & psychedelic. To me heavy metal is loud, obnoxious & soulless. Like Iron Maiden, Ratt, Def Leppard & Rush Limbaugh

You may not personally accept those bands as metal bands, or at least prototype bands, but the critics, and the fans of it do.

Hotspurman
02-02-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm not particular keen on Dido, John Lydon [[Sex Pistols, PIL), Martin Gore [[Depeche Mode), Roger Taylor, Sacha Distel, John Williams [[of Sky), Spandau Ballet, Marc Almond, Michelle Gayle, Ray Davis [[The Kinks), Roger Daltrey, Gavin Rossdale, Aled Jones, Ultimate Kaos, Sharleen Spiteri, Eddie Grant and Steve Earle. What they all have in common is that they all support Ar5ena1, the same football club Osama Bin Laden professed an admiration for.

soulster
02-02-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm not particular keen on Dido, John Lydon [[Sex Pistols, PIL), Martin Gore [[Depeche Mode), Roger Taylor, Sacha Distel, John Williams [[of Sky), Spandau Ballet, Marc Almond, Michelle Gayle, Ray Davis [[The Kinks), Roger Daltrey, Gavin Rossdale, Aled Jones, Ultimate Kaos, Sharleen Spiteri, Eddie Grant and Steve Earle. What they all have in common is that they all support Ar5ena1, the same football club Osama Bin Laden professed an admiration for.

So...you are going to let the likes of an evil man control who you like? The modern audio tape was invented by the nazis. Are you now going to throw out everything in your music collection that wasn't recorded digitally? Whoops! There goes the 99.8 % of your Motown collection!

nysister
02-02-2012, 10:59 AM

Best,

Mark

Mark, I have that problem now, idiots sitting in their cars in front of my house rap blaring, it drives me crazy!!!! In the summertime it gets worse. I have to move!!!

nysister
02-02-2012, 11:09 AM
I notice a lot of people on this forum claim a dislike of hard rock and rap music, so I thought it might be a good thread for those with dislikes to tell about why they don't like certain types of music.

After thinking about it and having been exposed to some modern country, a style of music that I have actively hated, I can say that there is really no music that I dislike. I like some of everything, and a lot of a few.

How about you?

I enjoy all genres of music, but I dislike some of the rap and today's R&B because of the profanity. When it comes to heavy metal and some hard rock, I feel like I should be popping, smoking or sniffing something when listening, even on some of the jazz.

soulster
02-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Mark, I have that problem now, idiots sitting in their cars in front of my house rap blaring, it drives me crazy!!!! In the summertime it gets worse. I have to move!!!

What's interesting is that this just doesn't happen where I live anymore. People listen to rap, but they aren't obnoxious about it.

soulster
02-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I enjoy all genres of music, but I dislike some of the rap and today's R&B because of the profanity. When it comes to heavy metal and some hard rock, I feel like I should be popping, smoking or sniffing something when listening, even on some of the jazz.

Profanity in metal/rock doesn't bother you?

Hotspurman
02-02-2012, 11:29 AM
So...you are going to let the likes of an evil man control who you like? The modern audio tape was invented by the nazis. Are you now going to throw out everything in your music collection that wasn't recorded digitally? Whoops! There goes the 99.8 % of your Motown collection!

That's the trouble with me trying to be facetious - it goes over the heads of some people! I quite like Dido, I just don't like her football team. Can't stand Sex Pistols or many of the other people on my list - I got it from a list of so called celebrities to supposedly support Ar5ena1. Tottenham Hotspur on the other hand are like Luke Skywalker and Motown - all that is good with the world. Ar5ena1 are Darth Vadar, heavy metal and punk.

02-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Hope you're not a Whitney Houston fan
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-401627/Obsessed-bin-Laden-wanted-kill-Whitney-Houstons-husband.html

Hotspurman
02-03-2012, 05:21 AM
Hope you're not a Whitney Houston fan
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-401627/Obsessed-bin-Laden-wanted-kill-Whitney-Houstons-husband.html

Whitney's not an Ar5ena1 fan is she? I wouldn't have thought so; more Manchester United or Chelsea if you ask me.

soulster
02-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Whitney's not an Ar5ena1 fan is she? I wouldn't have thought so; more Manchester United or Chelsea if you ask me.

It would be great if everyone would put their location in their profile.

Hotspurman
02-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Sunny Amersham in Buckinghamshire during the day and quaint Aston Clinton, also in Buckinghamshire at night.

soulster
02-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Sunny Amersham in Buckinghamshire during the day and quaint Aston Clinton, also in Buckinghamshire at night.

No, I mean there are U.S., Canadian, and U.K. members here. Without any reference as to a member's location, the posts get confusing.

soulster
02-03-2012, 10:32 AM

No, I mean there are U.S., Canadian, and U.K. members here. Without any reference as to a member's location, the posts get confusing. So, it would be great if that could be reflected on the posts rather than just in the profile. This would be something Lowell could answer.

02-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Whitney's not an Ar5ena1 fan is she? I wouldn't have thought so; more Manchester United or Chelsea if you ask me.I wouldn't know. Never heard of ar5ena1. But you said the reason you didn't like those artists was because they were fans of ar5ena1 just like that terrorist turned Swiss Cheese. So what is the difference between that shark food being an admirer of Whitney and his devotion to Ar5ena1? I'm just trying to understand

mark speck
02-03-2012, 09:44 PM
I can't remember the exact line, but Nick DiPaolo hit it on the head when he said that he'd never have to buy a rap CD because he could hear 'em all blaring from cars passing his apartment!

Best,

Mark

nysister
02-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Profanity in metal/rock doesn't bother you?
Soulster, the little metal/rock I did hear back in the day I don't remember the profanity unless I was so high it didn't register. If the profanity is there today, I wouldn't know because I don't listen to it anymore.

robb_k
02-04-2012, 12:25 AM

1. Heavy Metal -lotta noise
2. Acid Rock-lotta noise
3. Punk Rock-lotta noise

I'd rather hear Buck Owens than any of that tripe above, and I HATE his singing. I'd rather hear Bulgarian bagpipers or Australian Aborigine music, or a monkey banging a spoon on a metal pot. Possibly even Bob Dylan [[and the sound of his voice literally makes me sick).

soulster
02-04-2012, 01:21 AM

1. Heavy Metal -lotta noise
2. Acid Rock-lotta noise
3. Punk Rock-lotta noise

I'd rather hear Buck Owens than any of that tripe above, and I HATE his singing. I'd rather hear Bulgarian bagpipers or Australian Aborigine music, or a monkey banging a spoon on a metal pot. Possibly even Bob Dylan [[and the sound of his voice literally makes me sick).

Just goes to show that everyone is different. That music you listed is not noise to me. I hear distinct melody and rhythm. I hear arrangements and chords. I used to think like you until that little window of discovery opened up and I allowed myself to listen closely.

Bob Dylan's voice grated on my ears like nothing else until I stopped and listened to his early albums. I considered the folk music tradition and the fact that he wasn't really singing, but conveying messages and thoughts to a guitar. It was only then I started to understand Bob Dylan. It's not about pretty melodies and singing, it's about the message.

splanky
02-04-2012, 10:41 AM
I listen to two much music to narrow down my two least favorite types, I keep coming up with seven way ties but I'll try this and I have to add in any genre there are always at least one exception for me...

Merenge. I don't like the time...
Klezmer. Same as above...

Okay, I don't care much for heavy metal, reggaeton, most disco, current hip hop, most smooth jazz,
house or current "club" music or polka...

For the record I like Bob Dylan but I know his nasal voice can be quite annoying and I'd rather listen to
other singers interpret his songs. Madeline Peyroux for me does the best version of You're Going To Make
Me Lonesome When You Go and Cassandra Wilson works the mess outta Shelter From The Storm...

mark speck
02-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Bob Dylan is best described as an acquired taste...I've always liked him, but then again, that's one of many artists I got into through my older brother.

I can see what irks some people about him, though...I've seen him six times in concert, and I think I've reached my limit. My brother's probably seen him over 100 times.

Best,

Mark

timmyfunk
02-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Bob Dylan is best described as an acquired taste...I've always liked him, but then again, that's one of many artists I got into through my older brother.

I can see what irks some people about him, though...I've seen him six times in concert, and I think I've reached my limit. My brother's probably seen him over 100 times.

Best,

Mark

People make me laugh when they describe how Dylan sings in concert. And then they say, 'never again'.

timmyfunk
02-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Dylan to me is a lot like Smokey Robinson. A far better songwriter than a singer. Just my opinion.

robb_k
02-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Dylan to me is a lot like Smokey Robinson. A far better songwriter than a singer. Just my opinion.
That is true, but I'll take Smokey's singing over Bob Dylan's by a tremendous amount [[and over a lot of other singers, as well).

blueskies
02-05-2012, 10:28 AM
I had to laugh where I read once where Dylan made some anti-gay remark in front of Ronnie Spector....and she ripped him a brand new asshole.

timmyfunk
02-05-2012, 11:26 AM
That is true, but I'll take Smokey's singing over Bob Dylan's by a tremendous amount [[and over a lot of other singers, as well).

I can totally agree with that observation as well.

chidrummer
02-06-2012, 01:21 AM
For me, my two least favorite forms of music have to be Techno and most of the club music that came after it. Also I just can't stand Death/Thrash Metal vocalist [[?)