PDA

View Full Version : FAYETTES backing Hattie Littles

test

woodward
01-28-2012, 11:17 AM
On Gordy 7007, later copies of Your Love Is Wonderful b/w Here You Come [[B side), the [[B) side copy states vocal accompaniment the Fayettes. To my knowledge this is the only Motown single that has the Fayettes as the vocal accompaniment. Does anyone have any knowledge who members of the Fayettes actually were?

pj1
01-28-2012, 02:12 PM
At Motown Junkies, the following was posted

David Bell said:

October 13, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I seem to be coming over as a bit of a Vandellas fanatic but then I guess that I really am. I emailed Roz of the Vandellas this track asking whether it was indeed them. Here is her reply:

Hi David
Yes that is us on the Hattie Little song.
Roz.

Another bv question cleared up, I hope.
Best wishes,
David.

robb_k
01-28-2012, 03:29 PM
While we are on this subject, can anyone tell us who The Paulettes were? They backed up Marv Johnson on at least 3 of his UA Records' releases in late 1962, recorded at "The Snakepit", executive produced by Berry Gordy, but, I believe that 2 of the sessions were produced by Clarence Paul, and one by Smokey. The 3 songs are: "He Gave Me You", "With All That's In Me" and "That's How Bad". The "Paulettes" sound very much like The Vandellas, and Clarence Paul sang with them on "With All That's in Me".

Did Clarence Paul have a regular female group he used on his 1962-63 productions? The group sounds a lot more like The Vandellas than The Andantes or The Velvelettes [[the latter of whom wouldn't have been with Motown in late 1962, in any case).

Calv1971
01-28-2012, 05:45 PM
This thread has reminded me of a question, who is the female backing group on Mary Wells "Bad Boy"?

robb_k
01-28-2012, 06:50 PM
This thread has reminded me of a question, who is the female backing group on Mary Wells "Bad Boy"?
They sound very much like The Supremes. I think I hear Flo's voice atop the others, and one can always recognise Diane's higher voice separating from among the chorus. Smokey produced that recording, so it stands to reason.

robb_k
01-29-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm bumping this up, so more people can comment on "The Fayettes" and "Paulettes".

motony
01-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Those were probably jus names used by the company before Vandellas became official.

robb_k
01-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Those were probably just names used by the company before Vandellas became official.
Could well be. But, I'd like to hear from someone who knows for sure who they were.

motown_david
01-30-2012, 03:42 PM
I'd have thought that Roz Ashford - Holmes' answer was pretty official She was there in the studio on that Hattie Littles recording on bv duty, it seems. She should know her own voice.

robb_k
01-30-2012, 07:51 PM
I'd have thought that Roz Ashford - Holmes' answer was pretty official She was there in the studio on that Hattie Littles recording on bv duty, it seems. She should know her own voice.
That's good enough for me for "The Fayettes", but we've had no confirmation on "The Paulettes".