PDA

View Full Version : The exclusion of david and eddie from motown 25

test

arrr&bee
01-25-2012, 02:55 PM
In his book otis says that david and eddie cussed out motown brass in a meeting and the word came down not to work with them,but was there something more to these two motown legends being banned?

skooldem1
01-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Does anyone know if they were into drugs during this time?

candykamaine
01-25-2012, 07:17 PM
That's a mystery that I was trying to figure out, since I watched the full show again yesterday on yt. I would have love for them to be on Motown 25. :)

marv2
01-25-2012, 07:48 PM
In his book otis says that david and eddie cussed out motown brass in a meeting and the word came down not to work with them,but was there something more to these two motown legends being banned?

Yes there was more to it than that. I truly wished Eddie had survived and wrote his own book. He took issue with some of the things that were said in Otis' book.

marv2
01-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Does anyone know if they were into drugs during this time?

I don't know. I do know that many people [[including some of those on the stage that night for Motown 25) have and still use them. They couldn't exclude David & Eddie simply based on past or present drug use and not exclude all those others.........

BayouMotownMan
01-25-2012, 09:32 PM
During the successful Temptations Reunion tour of 1982, David, and to a lesser degree Eddie, gave Otis and Motown a lot of problems. There were 7 Temptations splitting the proceeds. David and Eddie felt as the premier lead singers that they were deserving of more than that. Drugs were rampant on that tour. It was an enormous headache for dePasse and BG and dePasse's idea of a post-Diana Ross Supremes reunion as a result of this tour were quickly shelved ...even though the ladies would have been far more agreeable. It was during this time that dePasse saw the interest in Motown nostalgia and started planning Motown 25.

The Reunion lp went gold and the single Standing On The Top with Rick James did well enough to renew interest from radio stations to future product by the Temptations. It was a Top Ten R&B hit and a decent-sized pop hit.

jobeterob
01-26-2012, 12:45 AM
What a shame that the Temptations tour kibooshes a 70's Supremes reunion ~ because that might have turned the Supremes into a more enduring institution like the Temptations brand. Instead we end up with a lot of struggling Supremes and Diana Ross on her own.

There is a Youtube video where Dennis talks about going home to his Mother when the drugs got out of control; he said she knew what was going on.

The fans only see one side of these stories; they don't really understand the difficult personal relationships that some of these people had; there isn't any way that corporate America, Motown, Epic, Sony, Arista is going to put up with druggies that are out of control UNLESS they are making a shitbox full of money ~ like Whitney Houston did for a while.

marv2
01-26-2012, 02:46 AM
What a shame that the Temptations tour kibooshes a 70's Supremes reunion ~ because that might have turned the Supremes into a more enduring institution like the Temptations brand. Instead we end up with a lot of struggling Supremes and Diana Ross on her own.

There is a Youtube video where Dennis talks about going home to his Mother when the drugs got out of control; he said she knew what was going on.

The fans only see one side of these stories; they don't really understand the difficult personal relationships that some of these people had; there isn't any way that corporate America, Motown, Epic, Sony, Arista is going to put up with druggies that are out of control UNLESS they are making a shitbox full of money ~ like Whitney Houston did for a while.

Are you serious? The Supremes have an enduring legacy and it is active through it's former members ,Mary Wilson, Susaye Greene, etc, etc. It is legacy that will endure long after Diana Ross is dead!

ejluther
01-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Legacy does not equal institution in my book so I know what you mean, jobeterob...

marv2
01-26-2012, 03:17 PM
...and besides, you'd never have David Ruffin shoving Eddie Kendricks on stage for any reason. He was too professional for that.

thaperson
01-26-2012, 09:16 PM
That's because Eddie Kendricks acted like a professional on stage.

captainjames
01-27-2012, 02:43 PM
yeah you are right, I can see how this would have made Motown walk away from doing anything else like this again.