PDA

View Full Version : 1970 ABC fall preview show with mentions of Diana Ross and Jean, Mary, and Cindy

test

jillfoster
09-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Great, full 30 minute fall preview show for ABC's fall 1970 schedule, Diana is pictured at 9:55, and The New Supremes are pictured at 21:47.

http://www.archive.org/details/ABC1970

marv2
09-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Jill, excellent find! You find some of the most amazing things online. Thank you again!

jillfoster
09-03-2010, 12:33 AM
It's wonderful that the New Supremes wee considered a big enough deal that they get special mention in the fall preview show... unlike motown 25, where yuo wouldn't even know they existed.

marv2
09-03-2010, 08:33 AM
I always found that strange that the 70's Supremes were never mentioned or appeared in any form at Motown 25. Not even a picture of Jean Terrell. Could have been because Suzanne DePasse was the producer?

sup_fan
09-06-2010, 08:59 AM
i think it's unfortunately because most people had forgotten that the group continued w/o diana. she was such a mega star that the group w or w/o her is forever associated with her. up the ladder and stoned love are the only tracks the general public might be aware of. sure they've heard floy joy or maybe i'm gonna let my heart. but when asked, they probably don't realize it's the sups. up the ladder is probably one of the most enduring of the 70s songs but most people would just assume it's diana ross and the supremes.

jillfoster
09-06-2010, 11:08 AM
i think it's unfortunately because most people had forgotten that the group continued w/o diana. she was such a mega star that the group w or w/o her is forever associated with her. up the ladder and stoned love are the only tracks the general public might be aware of. sure they've heard floy joy or maybe i'm gonna let my heart. but when asked, they probably don't realize it's the sups. up the ladder is probably one of the most enduring of the 70s songs but most people would just assume it's diana ross and the supremes.

Of course, I never put credence in what the general public knows about.. cause after all, only half of them know who the vice president is. I've heard DJ's intorduce Diana Ross records as Supremes records on many occasions. the state of oldies radio is much of the problem.. why people forget about them. Oldies radio of today only play a few of a group's biggest hits, I don't even hear "Love Is Like an Itching In My Heart" anymore. People who listen to olides radio think Freda Payne was a one hit wonder, cause thye only play "Band Of Gold", you'd never know she had 3 top 20 hits.

Glenpwood
09-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Radio is in a sad state thanks to the large conglomerates who now own the vast majority of the stations out there and their flawed testing practices. Calling people or sitting them in a room and asking them to rate songs on familiarity or if they're burned out on them means we'll be hearing My Girl and You Cant Hurry Love until the end of time since they always test well to stay in stations gold libraries. This also means songs That don't score highly because they haven't been played on a weekly basis for decades like Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart and Up The Ladder To The Roof get no play or saved for specialty programming like all Motown weekends.

marv2
09-06-2010, 12:29 PM
I wonder why that isn't the case with the Beatles? Ever wonder about that? They have whole "Beatles formats" on some stations today. You are not allowed to forget their music, even the most obscure recordings they made.

bradsupremes
09-06-2010, 12:30 PM
I remember about 10 years ago, our oldies station really used to play a wide variety of hits from the 50's, 60's and 70's. I remember hearing "No Matter What Sign You Are," the Four Tops' version of "Walk Away Renee," and Martha & the Vandellas' "Honey Chile" all the time. However, they no longer play those songs anymore. They play the same 200 songs over and over and over and over. I rarely listen to it anymore. I was surprised earlier this year when they played "In And Out Of Love" out of the blue. It was first time I heard them play it in over 10 years. When it was the Motown 50th Anniversary, they devoted an entire weekend to playing just Motown songs. They had rare clips, interviews and played some rare songs that you would never hear on the radio. I remember they were talking about Jimmy Ruffin and how he was originally going to be in the Temptations, so they played his version of "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep." I also remember hearing "Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone," "I'm In A Different World," "Mother Dear," and "I'll Keep Holding On." I was glued to the radio that weekend. Even though I heard all those songs many times before there was something different about hearing them over the radio.

johnjeb
09-06-2010, 12:35 PM
I have Sirius Satellite Radio that I use in the car but only on long drives [[generally one weekend a month).

I am amazed at the limited playlists on the stations I listen to such as Soul Town, 60s on 6, 50s on 5, and Dance/Disco Classics, to name a few. I hear the same songs time and again. Although I hear an obscure song now and then I would have thought I would hear more variety. I get the same old song[[s) from a wider variety of stations!

I once heard of an internet-based station that played 60s music. It was mentioned that their playlist is so comprehensive that it would be three months before you heard a song replayed. That's what I was hoping for with Satellite radio. It is such a disappointment. I may not renew when it comes due.

marv2
09-06-2010, 12:45 PM
johnjeb! I had the exact same experience last summer on a drive to Canada. I stayed tuned in mostly to "Soul Town" and was disappointed that they played generally the same songs in the space of a few hours. I heard "Proud Mary" by Ike & Tina Turner 3 times!

I just this week found a station that plays R&B, I'm not sure where it is out of [[they have Frence announcers.....go figure) but they play EVERYTHING including album cuts that you would never hear elsewhere. If I can find a way to get a link to it, I will post it here.

Marv

jillfoster
09-06-2010, 02:25 PM
I read an interview with actor Chad Allen once where he was extolling the virtues of Mexican radio stations, he said that they played Donna Summer's entire 17 minute Macarthur Park suite, and he was floored at the variety the stations played. Although it's on the AM dial, i'm lucky enough to still have a small, locally owned oldies station, KOKO in Warrensburg, MO. They'll play stuff I NEVER hear on the big city stations like Sugarloaf's "Don't Call Us, We'll Call You", The Raspberries "I Wanna Be With You", and the play Nathan Jones almost every day, it must be one of the owner's favorites. But you an listen any time during the day or evening and NEVER hear a repeat.

sup_fan
09-06-2010, 04:59 PM
i'd blame it on fickle american audiences. given the extensive dirth of public entertainment options, there's little reason to invest in an artist and dig into their full repertoire. why bother taking time or effort to learn about an artist. often time the artist really doesn't have much other than the 1 or 2 songs they make big. so it's kind of like "disposable" entertainment. So for radio, station managers have learned to just line up the old war horses and put them on heavy rotation. it's, apparently, what sells. I'm a big symphony fan and the Atlanta Symphony always schedules in Beethoven 5th because everyone wants to hear it and people buy those tickets. same thing

The beattles are the exception because they have such a massive audience. The achieved an artistic credibility that has endured. they were such innovators of their time and made so many important contributions to popular music that they've achieved a legendary status. with both fans AND critics. and this had repeated with each generation. there were kids in the 70s and 80s that wanted to be "cool" and got into the beattles. that's happened again in the 90s and 00s. Motown did NOT do itself any favors by filling albums with second rate material. often times it was fun and they were hardly alone in this practice. but it hasn't always aged as well. us die hard fans get a kick out of it but most average listeners don't grasp it.

Another issue is that Motown hasn't always reinforced how important they were in civil rights process or how they were such a monumental force in the development of popular black music. odds are things today would still be as diverse and all. but artists today owe a huge amount to motown and that doesn't always get stated. so people forget