PDA

View Full Version : Martha Reeves London Appearances Review

test

jaybs
01-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Not a flattering Review in today's Guardian Newspaper

Martha Reeves live at Ronnie Scott's in London
Not performing to her advantage … Martha Reeves. Photograph: David Sinclair for the Guardian

There is a brief moment, almost at the end of her show, when Martha Reeves' voice comes into its own. As you might expect, she is singing her deathless hit Dancing in the Streets – but, unexpectedly, it happens during the song's absurdly protracted coda, when she pays tribute to her friends in the business, among them Mavis Staples. Reeves gives us a verse of the Staple Singers' funk gospel song I'll Take You There, and for those few lines allows her voice to drop an octave, to a husky rasp. It's a wonderful sound: if only she had used it more.

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas
Ronnie Scott's,
London
W1

Until 27 January
Box office:
020 7439 0747

Instead, Reeves persists in singing high, straining for a register just beyond her reach. It's not that she can't get up there, more that she has no control over the notes when she does: they quiver and ping and morph into shrieks. You can't blame her for wanting to deny the ravages of time – and yet, it's hard to understand why someone evidently so passionate about performing doesn't do so to her own advantage.

Equally unfortunate is the exposure of her voice in this setting. The current Vandellas – "babies who weren't even born" when Reeves' best-loved songs were released – are barely audible, while the backing band are restrained to the point of perfunctory. Nowhere to Run and Heatwave ought to pulse with barely contained sex, but these renditions are bloodless: you long for the filthy sound of soul throwbacks such as the Dap-Kings. As she demonstrates the funky chicken, it's clear Reeves is having a splendid time, as is the audience member in his 60s rejuvenated by the loveliness of Jimmy Mack. But the gap between past and present is acute

bankhousedave
01-25-2012, 09:16 AM
I hope she reads it. It's in her hands.

marybrewster
01-25-2012, 09:54 AM
The current Vandellas – "babies who weren't even born" when Reeves' best-loved songs were released – are barely audible, while the backing band are restrained to the point of perfunctory.

Is Martha no longer touring with Lois and Delphine? Maybe it's time to bring back Roz and Nettie; the ORIGINAL Vandellas?

Roberta75
01-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Not a flattering Review in today's Guardian Newspaper

Martha Reeves live at Ronnie Scott's in London
Not performing to her advantage … Martha Reeves. Photograph: David Sinclair for the Guardian

There is a brief moment, almost at the end of her show, when Martha Reeves' voice comes into its own. As you might expect, she is singing her deathless hit Dancing in the Streets – but, unexpectedly, it happens during the song's absurdly protracted coda, when she pays tribute to her friends in the business, among them Mavis Staples. Reeves gives us a verse of the Staple Singers' funk gospel song I'll Take You There, and for those few lines allows her voice to drop an octave, to a husky rasp. It's a wonderful sound: if only she had used it more.

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas
Ronnie Scott's,
London
W1

Until 27 January
Box office:
020 7439 0747

Instead, Reeves persists in singing high, straining for a register just beyond her reach. It's not that she can't get up there, more that she has no control over the notes when she does: they quiver and ping and morph into shrieks. You can't blame her for wanting to deny the ravages of time – and yet, it's hard to understand why someone evidently so passionate about performing doesn't do so to her own advantage.

Equally unfortunate is the exposure of her voice in this setting. The current Vandellas – "babies who weren't even born" when Reeves' best-loved songs were released – are barely audible, while the backing band are restrained to the point of perfunctory. Nowhere to Run and Heatwave ought to pulse with barely contained sex, but these renditions are bloodless: you long for the filthy sound of soul throwbacks such as the Dap-Kings. As she demonstrates the funky chicken, it's clear Reeves is having a splendid time, as is the audience member in his 60s rejuvenated by the loveliness of Jimmy Mack. But the gap between past and present is acute

It's a mean vicious review and not worthy of the legendary Martha Reeves and I hope she doesn't read it.
Martha Reeves is a great singer and a fabulous live performer. She is beautiful and talented and sounds fantastic IMO.

A superstar like Miss reeves doesn't deserve a vile review like this. Why only a few weeks ago critics in Minnesota were raving about Martha Reeves the first lady of Motown Records.

God bless you Miss Martha and carry on doing what you are doing. You are the ultimate performer and i love you.

Roberta

luke
01-25-2012, 10:57 AM
That would be great MB!

blueskies
01-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Yea, who were her back up singers? Her sisters are seasoned performers and are certainly more than 'barley audible'.

luke
01-25-2012, 11:30 AM
She doesnt seem to be using them lately and I believe just hires women wherever she goes.

BayouMotownMan
01-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Lois and Delphine both work day jobs and they travel with Martha when she does weekend venues mostly or they can arrange time off. If Martha goes on extended tours, her sisters usually can not go with her

luke
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
I think many of us know that but they they dont seem to have been with her for quite awhile.

jillfoster
01-25-2012, 02:17 PM
I think many of us know that but they they dont seem to have been with her for quite awhile.

Well.. I know they were with her at that secret garden gig on Jul 24 last year.

motownlover1964
01-25-2012, 02:32 PM
The last two times Martha performed at the Rrazz Room in San Francisco she did not have backup singers. She's booked again this coming October.

Roberta75
01-25-2012, 02:57 PM
The last two times Martha performed at the Rrazz Room in San Francisco she did not have backup singers. She's booked again this coming October.

And I bet Martha put on a top notch show? I may try and go see her this October. Miss Reeves is a legend with one of the best voices in the business.

Roberta

mwmr
01-25-2012, 04:56 PM
I adore Martha and have seen her live loads but agree with this review. She does sing way too high and warbles. She needs to lower her key

daviddesper
01-26-2012, 12:47 AM
I have often wondered why Martha switched to that high register, which is almost falsetto at times. It seems to have happened between the Arista album [[which needs a CD re-issue by the way!) and the first Fantasy album. So if she can return to her lower, more soulful voice, I would be all for it.

marv2
01-26-2012, 02:49 AM
I have often wondered why Martha switched to that high register, which is almost falsetto at times. It seems to have happened between the Arista album [[which needs a CD re-issue by the way!) and the first Fantasy album. So if she can return to her lower, more soulful voice, I would be all for it.

That is her "church lady" voice and she started that around the mid 80's from what I recall.

"

dzMusica
01-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Does Lois Reeves have children?