PDA

View Full Version : Swingin' Time: 1966; the Supremes and the Marvelettes

test

marybrewster
01-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Over the years I have seen a clip here and there, but never the whole show. Well worth taking the time to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYwhk0O_tnE&feature=related

luke
01-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Great and a bit odd! I watched 12 minutes til sound went on mine. FLo loooks great! INtersting they were introduced as Florence Ballard, Mary Wilson and DIana Ross and Flo sat next to interviewer!! So the Marvelettes came out and performed for the Supremes? Wonder how Galdys felt about that!!

franjoy56
01-24-2012, 11:13 PM
I don't think the marvelettes had any misgivings about performing for the supremes especially since
the marvelettes had a new hit out, and they didn't mind showing it off. Gladys helped with the choreography for dmwb. You can see that Diana and Flo were already on a collison course looking at the set up: Flo sitting in the lead spot next to Robin, but hey this was a detroit show and the fans loved
Florence Ballard.

paladin
01-25-2012, 09:06 AM
There is a thread on this : http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?4777-Swingin-Time-A-Complete-Episode! :cool:

luke
01-25-2012, 10:54 AM
I hear ya. Diana didnt stop moving in her chair. Flo had "that look" on her face. Mary looked relaxed and happy-or was it numb??:) I still think it might have felt a little difficult for Galdys and the girls to perform for the reigning queens of Motown after they had been and Gladys forced by Berry to see Diana backstage at Copa per JRT book.

skooldem1
01-25-2012, 11:14 AM
OMG. really??? Collision course? Sitting in the "lead" spot???

Diana looked so feminine and dainty with her legs crossed like that. Mrs. Maxine Powell would have been so proud of her top student. She actually had the best seat in the house because she got to work her whole body. Flo may have been sitting "closer" but she also got called out for being a bad student with failing grades, and a trouble maker. But hey, she was sitting closer and got a chance to shine. I guess.

arrr&bee
01-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Looking back notice our girl[diana]setting herself apart with the big bow and hat,that's our girl diana[hey look at me,not them]!

luke
01-25-2012, 09:42 PM
U got it arr! How could u not notice her flying around in her chair?

franjoy56
01-26-2012, 12:26 AM
and when Berry came out Diana was all up in her glory esp when he showed the film clip of mostly Diana while Mary and Flo followed behind. This is the very thing that destroyed the Supremes Berry's obesseson with Ross, and even though Berry doesn't show any favoritism here you can see that he isn't to happy about where Flo is placed, and Flo who didn't have the charisma that Ross had was doing whatever she could to give the Supremes some sense of worth, because by this time the Ross program display was in full play..

jobeterob
01-26-2012, 12:55 AM
Have you guys ever thought of some hobbies instead of watching for Diana shadows? I watched this whole show and I thought it was great and they had a good time.

For old farts, exercises classes of any nature are a good start; burns off energy and fears borne of loneliness.

simplysupreme
01-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Have you guys ever thought of some hobbies instead of watching for Diana shadows? I watched this whole show and I thought it was great and they had a good time.

For old farts, exercises classes of any nature are a good start; burns off energy and fears borne of loneliness.

Amen!!

Diana was "flying around in her chair." So, what? Mary and Florence were too. Imagine that. They were chair dancing on a show called "Swinging Time." Go figure! Diana was happy and greeted Berry when he came onstage. What was she supposed to do? Roll her eyes at him? Some folks need to get a grip.

I loved the show!

marv2
01-26-2012, 02:41 AM
U got it arr! How could u not notice her flying around in her chair?

She looked stupid doing that. I wanted to say to the her, calm the F down! LOL

motony
01-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Can you imagine, this was called a "day off" for them at this time.

luke
01-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Marv--lol--I think Flo's eyes said that and Mary had that gift to ignore it!

franjoy56
01-26-2012, 02:23 PM
In all honesty this was a great show especially when Major Cavanaugh read the proclamation claiming Supremes day Jan. 22 1966 in Detroit, and the sincere look on all the Supremes faces of proudness. The Supremes were sister even if only before the public.