PDA

View Full Version : Tamiko Jones

test

mikey
09-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Early number from Tamiko.Great song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KIKjSAYKeQ

mikey
09-02-2010, 07:45 AM
I understand that the male voice is George Kerr.

jsmith
09-02-2010, 08:50 AM
........ she was a mighty fine looking lady back then .........

tomato tom
09-02-2010, 04:47 PM
She was married to John Abbey of Blues & Soul magazine.Dont know if they still together. He started ICHIBON records when he moved to the U.S. I am sure I have a 12" somewhere of Tamiko called Touch Me Baby. Will have to check it out.Think she had a single on Golden World too back in the 60s. that the Northern Soul crowd loved. Was this record an answer record to Lesley Gores Its my Party, or something?..Paulo XXXX

robb_k
09-02-2010, 06:14 PM

Tamiko's real name is Timiko. She has an African-American father and a Japanese Mother. Her first Record was Robert Bateman's and Popcorn Wylie's Correcc-Tone Records production of "Is It A Sin" on Checker 1041 in 1963. I will scan that and her Golden World record:

Her Golden World record was produced by New Yorker, Gene Redd Jr., while he was in Detroit working with Ed Wingate's Golden World, and having that Detroit label distribute his Stephanye Records.

daviddesper
09-03-2010, 12:45 AM
I love me some Tamiko! Especially the catchy song "Woman Driver."

Robert, since you seem to know something about her background, do you recall where she was born? I once read West Virginia, and if so, I would be curious as to which town, since I live in Virginia and travel throughout both states.

daddyacey
09-03-2010, 02:01 AM
"She has an African-American father and a Japanese Mother."
So that is why she is so exotic in her features. She's a gorgeous woman. I never knew about the earlier material of hers. Thanks to you guy's for that information. My first taste of Tamiko was an Arista single , Reachin' Out For Your Love" , written by Johnny Bristol , backed with "Creepin" ,by Stevie. Another single was released ,"Let It Flow" ,backed with an instrumental version. There is an L.P. ,1977 ,Atlantis Records , that has those tracks and 6 other tracks on it. Two tracks on the album were remixed by Tom Moulton ,"Let It Flow" and "Cloudy". Album was produced by Tamiko.

robb_k
09-03-2010, 03:59 AM
Tamiko was born [[Timiko Ferguson) in 1945, in Kyle, West Virginia. So, she was 18 when she had her first release. After Golden World, she recorded for Atlantic Records. She had several single releases and a couple albums on that label in the late 1960s.

mikey
09-03-2010, 07:02 AM
I don't think Tamiko and John Abbey are together still,I believe he hooked up with Sheena Easton's sis Nina.

heikki
09-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi!

Solomon Burke about joining the Bell label in 1969: "My manager at the time and fiancée, Tamiko Jones, made that deal for me. A very special lady in my life, a very wonderful lady and a very fantastic business-woman - one of the smartest females in the industry."
[[Soul Express: The Solomon Burke story, part 2)

Best regards
Heikki

blue
09-04-2010, 02:24 AM
As long as I know, Tamiko had 6 albums.

A Man and A Woman With Herbie Mann [[Atlantic 1967)
Tamiko [[December 1968)
I'll be Anything [[CTI 1968)
In Muscle Shoals [[Metromedia 1969)
Love Trip [[Arista 1975)
Cloudy [[Contempo 1976)

Then she had a massive disco hit "Can't live without your love" in 1979,
subsequently Japanese lable, JVC released her album,
contained some tracks from her Arista & Contempo recordings
and also some new Disco recordings.

My favoroite is "In Muscle Shoals", it is just a gorgeous vocal album.

She also produced Solomon Burke's "Proud Mary" album.

Her final recording was a cover of Marvin Gaye's "I Want You" in 1986 on Sutra label.

So far two albums "A Man and A Woman" and "Love Trip" had been re-issued on CD.

I have no idea what she has been doing since 1986.
Anybody has any info??

heikki
09-04-2010, 02:59 AM
Hi!

In the 90s she still was Smokey Robinson's manager.

Best regards
Heikki