PDA

View Full Version : If you "hear" someone is NOT a Nice person Does it matter? Or you still a Fan?

test

Livingallalone
09-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Most people are little bit country little bit rock and roll, Singers, Movie stars and Sports stars are not different.

Lots of folks have "bad" days....that is granted. Still, Some are time and time again come back with strories that they are just plain nasty.

So if you hear these stories does it bother you? bother U ONLY if the nasty person is a personal encounter Or can you just shrug it off as hey, I don't care....as long as they entertain me........

nomis
09-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I was telling my neighbour about Anita Bakers legendary treatment of well wishers....if dosent change how I feel about her music,Ive grown up with her..shes a part of my history having performed her "Lead Me Into Love" in clubs over the years....I accept that the musicians I like are human...although Ive had several people at my house who are digusted in Naomi Campbell accepting those diamonds....

Livingallalone
09-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Darn..Busted by the first reply that it was Anita that insipred my post.......but the question stands for any person in the spotlight.

carlo
09-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I agree with Nomis. The way I look at it, our favourite artists are human FIRST, before anything. They make mistakes along the way. I don't allow that to get in the way with my love for them and their music. But if I personally had a really negative experience with one of my favourite artists, then I think it would be harder to shrug off.

Over the years I read a lot of stuff on Diana [[you guys know what I'm talking about), so it took me a little while to kinda digest it all and get over it. I realized that she is human and not some perfect goddess, like some fans try to make her out to be. I also realized that there's always two sides to every story and don't always believe EVERYTHING you read. I mean, I'm sure Diana does have a bitchy side to her, but so do I. lol. Maybe she was just intensely ambitious. When I see that clip of Diana performing the "Greatest Star" on Ed Sullivan...at the end where she puts her arms up over Mary and Cindy's faces, it always makes me laugh. It was just Diana being Diana. But I also know that she's extremely generous and kind...and I hear those kinds of stories and reports again and again. She too has made some mistakes along the way and she admits that. That comes with the territory. She's one of the most successful artists of all time and her career spans 50 years. You're gonna hear "dirt" once in a while. But to have that kind of longevity, she must have done something right...especially when you look at her kids. The woman raised 5 kids and they're all drama-free and drug-free...free from all that negative Hollywood crap. They clearly aren't spoiled brats. So that speaks volumes for her character.

At the end of the day, I still have a lot of love for her as a person and as an artist. I don't want to come off as sounding fanatical, but I truthfully wouldn't be the person I am today without her.

Livingallalone
09-01-2010, 10:03 PM
The First "Stars" I ever meet was wayyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the era of the 5th Dimension. I saw Marilyn Mccoo & Billy Davis walking down the street-I was about 7 and began screaming "THE 5th Dimension"!!!! They were sooo Nice, signed my autograph book and chated for a good while. Years latter while working for Phyllis they were on the same Evening [[A benfit for Willie Williams in LA as I recall) and I was able to tell them How nice they were to a 7 year old that loved them.

Working with PH, I had a few encounters with nasty "stars" but no one I was a fan of.....

luke
09-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Of course it matters even though its easy to say it doesnt. I attended a Gordon Lightfoot concert and he stopped show and yelled at audience for clapping along to Sundown. No desire to attend another one as he clearly is too self absorbed to respect his fans. Ross' tantrums have shown a lack of respect for fans, musicians and her fellow performers[[e.g Cindy was very upset about Dianas hand blocking)--I just dont desire to see people like that. Though I certainly respect their talent.

daviddesper
09-02-2010, 12:02 AM
One of the stars who is most legendary for perhaps being difficult is Dionne Warwick. However, once I actually approached her in the middle of a family event as she was having a cigarette and asked for an autograph, and she was nothing but gracious and lovely. So I guess there are all sorts of variations with celebs just as there are with regular folks like us.

theboyfromxtown
09-02-2010, 12:56 AM
I've evidenced Mary J Blige be an absolute nasty bitch. I wouldn't p*ss on that woman even if she was on fire, let alone listen to her wailing.

tallone
09-02-2010, 04:08 AM
I've been blessed to meet a lot of "stars" over the course of my life. In my pre-teen years, I met Billy Eckstein, Arthur Prysock and Joe Williams. They were so nice.
In my teen years, I met most of Motown and so many other historic acts because the Brevoort Theater was right there on my block. I got to see them in costume and out. So I got to see the good and the bad. Like Lou Rawls said in "Lady Love", "you know people are people and they all have their moods." In my adult years, I worked at the Essex House in New York, where I got to see "both" worlds, music of all kinds and drama. Believe me, Lou Rawls's words were never truer.
But again, its just people being themselves, for whatever thats worth, both good and bad.

topdiva1
09-02-2010, 09:03 AM
We all have our days - these performers are - PEOPLE SINGING A SONG - no more no less - they would be who they are, and in what ever mood or spirit, if they where driving a bus.

jonc
09-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Ross' tantrums have shown a lack of respect for fans, musicians and her fellow performers[[e.g Cindy was very upset about Dianas hand blocking)--I just dont desire to see people like that. Though I certainly respect their talent.

How magnanimous of you Jimmy Mack.

jonc
09-02-2010, 09:11 AM
We all have our days - these performers are - PEOPLE SINGING A SONG - no more no less - they would be who they are, and in what ever mood or spirit, if they where driving a bus.

I have to agree with you topdiva. I pay for a [[hopefully) very good two hour concert and that's it. What happens off stage or backstage before or after the show doesn't affect me one bit.

luke
09-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Absolutely people have their good and bad periods. However if they choose to be entertainers, highly paid by fans then they need to turn it on so to speak and be appropriate, perform well regardless. If I have a bad day I am still expected to be professional and do my job with respect to people. If I behaved the way some entertainers do to clientele or my co-workers it would not be tolerated, regardless if I was in a bad mood or not.

Livingallalone
09-02-2010, 10:52 AM
For the most part I would tell someone if you really enjoy an Arists Work stay a million feet away from, therefore you won't be disapointed. That said, it is always great to meet someone and have a nice "Moment" with them and be able to say NOT only can they sing, act, play their Azz off they were really kewl as well. And yes they are only Human and subject to good and bad days as is anyone...Still the day Someone asks me how I was and I put one hand up to say stop and the other hand whirling in the air saying YEAH YEAH YEAH is the day I need to be pulled out soceity.......

carlo
09-02-2010, 11:25 AM
If I have a bad day I am still expected to be professional and do my job with respect to people. If I behaved the way some entertainers do to clientele or my co-workers it would not be tolerated, regardless if I was in a bad mood or not.

Very true, Luke. Good point. This should be the same standard of behaviour for artists as well.

I don't like it when I hear stories of artists being rude to their fans. Their fans put them where they are today, so show them some respect.

jillfoster
09-02-2010, 02:05 PM
For the most part I would tell someone if you really enjoy an Arists Work stay a million feet away from, therefore you won't be disapointed. That said, it is always great to meet someone and have a nice "Moment" with them and be able to say NOT only can they sing, act, play their Azz off they were really kewl as well. And yes they are only Human and subject to good and bad days as is anyone...Still the day Someone asks me how I was and I put one hand up to say stop and the other hand whirling in the air saying YEAH YEAH YEAH is the day I need to be pulled out soceity.......

I know, ain't that a shame? I wouldn't be that rude to a total stranger, let alone someone who was my customer and bought my records. So... who else was mean? dish it!

cdiii
09-02-2010, 03:51 PM
I've been looking at this thread since it started yesterday, and I'm going to reply.

As much as it may make me "seem" shallow, I have to admit on two occasions it has affected me.

First was Lou Rawls. I went to see him at the Westbury Music Fair in the early 80s. His attitude towards his fans seemed so nasty that I vowed I'd never buy anything by him or go to see him again.

Second was in 1991. After seeing Prince at Radio City Music Hall, I'm walking up 47th St. to the parking lot to get my car, and who's walking down the street in the opposite direction? None other than Sade. Prior to this, I had purchased and thoroughly enjoyed the three albums she released to that point, the last one being "Stronger Than Pride."

I extend my hand, saying, "Sister Sade, I enjoy your work!" Walks right past me, brushes away my hand...nothing at all--just completely ignores me.

"Stronger Than Pride" is the LAST thing I have bought and will ever buy of hers.

I figure I pay hard-earned money to see you and buy your product; you can't give me the simple courtesy of respect? Well, sorry--but you lose my money and my support.

Charles

cdiii
09-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Y'all gotta tell me how to adjust the time on this thing...it's not "7:51 PM;" it's 3:51!--LOL!!!

Charles

platters81
09-02-2010, 04:16 PM
i met Curtis Mayfield twice.in 83 and later.....such a nice guy.and modest ..he was interested in all the 45s we showed him..considering his talent he should have been a big show off.....none of it he loved meeting fans....he told us how much he loved his car featured on the Ridin High LP...he sang the legendary Impressions Coca Cola advert to me..[[damn i didnt have a tape)...he wanted my Abner demo of "Senorita i love you".......genius is a word often mis used.......but its correct with Curtis..........

tomato tom
09-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I have read so much bad press about Diana [[call me Miss Ross) over the years. Well, I have met her twice over the years, and a more charming and cordial LADY, It was a pleasure to meet. A REAL STAR. On the othe hand, I have had the misfortune to meet / deal with a Famous British Commedian [[think THE OFFICE) twice in the last year, who was the biggest DIVA I have ever had the misfortune to meet. FUNNY? Your avin a laff. I never liked that programme anyway...Paulo XXX

tamla617
09-02-2010, 05:37 PM
i dont care about what kind of person an actor/singer/sportsman is.
if a song is good,if the film is good if the athlete/footballer/F1 driver etc is good.thats it for me.thats all they are there for [[in the public eye)
i dont do the celeb thing.what they eat ,who they sleep with where they go on holliday how ********* boring is that?he celeb driven world we've got is the biggest joke ever played and is fooling [[nearly) all the people all of the time

smark21
09-02-2010, 07:55 PM
All a performer owes the fans is to do the show they can and put out the best music that they can. If they make time to sign autographs, pose for pictures or chat after the show or when out in public, that's icing on the cake. But sometimes they're out in public as their private selves going about their business and they have the right to be left alone. Also, some fans out there are scary and stalkerish so one can't blame a performer if they decide to avoid all contact with fans except when the setting is controlled, such as an official meet and greet.

jillfoster
09-02-2010, 08:32 PM
I don't agree, I feel if you want to be left alone when in public, then you should not have a "public" career. Politicians sure don't go givin people "tude" and "Talk to the hand" now do they? For me, just "hearing" about someone being a pain in the ass ain't enuogh to sour me on their music, but if acutally wtiness something, then all bets are off. I'd like to separate the two, but I just can't.

juicefree20
09-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Tamla617 said:

The celeb driven world we've got is the biggest joke ever played and is fooling [[nearly) all the people all of the time

I agree! We have a bunch of people who have become "famous" [[more like INFAMOUS) for beating up on one another [[Jersey Shore, The Housewives), having a pack of kids [[The Gosselin's) or trying to get a date with a "Bachelor" or trying to sleep with Flavor Flav or New York.

And have you noticed the recent "reality" shows like the Repo folks who preen for the camera, or the process server from N.Y.C. who WAITS for the cameras BEFORE serving people? And I don't even want to talk about what goes on on youtube in the name of gaining "fame".

All that I know is that all of this only serves to prove that "celebrity" just ain't what it used to be.

nomis
09-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Performers I came to contact thru EMI and other record companies were always gracious - Elton John,Deborah Harry,Robbie Williams,Linda Mcartney,UB40,Janet jackson....I had a friend around for drinks the other night who is a make up artist he was doing a catwalk show and Naomi Campbell was backstage clicking her fingers for her assistant to put on her ankle bracelet..the assistant was putting it on when Naomi said "Your Too Slow"..and kicked the assistant sending her flying across the floor....

Livingallalone
09-02-2010, 10:35 PM
I have mixed feeling about What the "Star" owes their fans. I do agree when you attend a concert you bought a ticket to the show, not an autograph and photo after per say....however...if two fans are waiting at the stage door I am going with the star should be happy to do it [[Although a recent story I was told about Ann-Margret was NOT the case)

But still what most singers make in one night is more than many people make all year. Nothing in life is free per say...if you have been able to make "All your dreams come true" they came true thanks to fans that bought their music and paid for their tickets.....

carlo
09-02-2010, 11:24 PM
But still what most singers make in one night is more than many people make all year. Nothing in life is free per say...if you have been able to make "All your dreams come true" they came true thanks to fans that bought their music and paid for their tickets.....

Exactly.

You hear most artists saying in interviews how grateful and thankful they are for their awesome fans, etc, etc. But I'm sure a lot of them won't even give their fans the time of day. It's like they forget who they are or where they came from. Don't bite the hand that fed you.

jonc
09-02-2010, 11:53 PM
I don't agree, I feel if you want to be left alone when in public, then you should not have a "public" career. Politicians sure don't go givin people "tude" and "Talk to the hand" now do they? For me, just "hearing" about someone being a pain in the ass ain't enuogh to sour me on their music, but if acutally wtiness something, then all bets are off. I'd like to separate the two, but I just can't.

Oh please. Try approaching John McCain when there are no cameras around. Read this and tell me that politicians don't give people attitude. http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2010/10/sarah-palin-201010?currentPage=all

Livingallalone
09-03-2010, 12:01 AM
I am sure John Mccain is nice one day and not the next...just like with his views on issues..they change with the weather..........

jillfoster
09-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Oh please. Try approaching John McCain when there are no cameras around. Read this and tell me that politicians don't give people attitude. http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2010/10/sarah-palin-201010?currentPage=all

Well, dear, thats politicians who want to get ELECTED. but you know what I'm talkin about, the age old cliche of politicians "shaking hands and kissing babies".

bobkayli
09-03-2010, 04:20 AM
I don't know if it has any relevance to this thread but this saying of the day from the BBC website made me smile so i thought i would share it:

No call alligator 'Long Mouth' till you pass him JAMAICAN PROVERB

jillfoster
09-03-2010, 10:45 AM
I have read so much bad press about Diana [[call me Miss Ross) over the years. Well, I have met her twice over the years, and a more charming and cordial LADY, It was a pleasure to meet. A REAL STAR. On the othe hand, I have had the misfortune to meet / deal with a Famous British Commedian [[think THE OFFICE) twice in the last year, who was the biggest DIVA I have ever had the misfortune to meet. FUNNY? Your avin a laff. I never liked that programme anyway...Paulo XXX

I honestly think that with Ross... she's probably a person who's mean to her staff, but nice to her fans, most of the time. although she's not what you'd call "accessible". She
s mean to papparazzi, too... but then who could blame her for that. I just think that her temper gets the best of her sometimes and she has a hard time stepping back and taking a breath when she needs to. If she could, she would have had a sterling reputation like that of Olivia Newton John or Carol Burnett or Dolly Parton. But instead, she's seen as a bitch.

Livingallalone
09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I don't think Stars need make themselves "Accessible" to their fans per say....but if you go out in a coffee store and someone says HELLO How R you today there is no reason to spin into a Temper Tantrum. I rememeber Celine dion saying there are days she does not want to be bothered with the public and those are the days she stays home, I hope she meant it cause it makes sense.

I encountred Miss Ross once and it was a great experience. In fact I have heard many many great stories from fellow fans of meetings with the "diva". Now, crews and hotels staff well that another story...but from Luther's wanting a new toliet installed or he was leaving [[and he did, when they wouldn't) to Barry Manilow's wanting walls painted and they didn't [[and he left) that seems to be part of the puzzle.

I could only wonder what the Luther And Anita tour backstage must have been like.....LAWD!!!!

jillfoster
09-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I don't think Stars need make themselves "Accessible" to their fans per say....but if you go out in a coffee store and someone says HELLO How R you today there is no reason to spin into a Temper Tantrum. I rememeber Celine dion saying there are days she does not want to be bothered with the public and those are the days she stays home, I hope she meant it cause it makes sense.

I encountred Miss Ross once and it was a great experience. In fact I have heard many many great stories from fellow fans of meetings with the "diva". Now, crews and hotels staff well that another story...but from Luther's wanting a new toliet installed or he was leaving [[and he did, when they wouldn't) to Barry Manilow's wanting walls painted and they didn't [[and he left) that seems to be part of the puzzle.

I could only wonder what the Luther And Anita tour backstage must have been like.....LAWD!!!!

So true... I would have dearly LOVED to have been a fly on the wall with that Anita/Luther tour. I can only imagine the histrionics at play. Luther wanting a new toilet? Why? I can understand wanting to clean it yourself to make sure it's clean, like Patti does... that makes sense to me, but a whole new one? i'd tell him to go out back and squat in the bushes [[I'd love to see the look on someone's face if you tell them THAT) I don't understand why Manilow would want walls painted???? Fresh paint smell lingers for damn near a week, and who want to smell THAT, especially with his big schnozola.

jonc
09-03-2010, 12:57 PM
So true... I would have dearly LOVED to have been a fly on the wall with that Anita/Luther tour. I can only imagine the histrionics at play. Luther wanting a new toilet? Why? I can understand wanting to clean it yourself to make sure it's clean, like Patti does... that makes sense to me, but a whole new one? i'd tell him to go out back and squat in the bushes [[I'd love to see the look on someone's face if you tell them THAT) I don't understand why Manilow would want walls painted???? Fresh paint smell lingers for damn near a week, and who want to smell THAT, especially with his big schnozola.

Ahhh, Nice to see Mr. Foster back with his tough chick, scataological yet amusing character. I hope he brings back his floral and fauna funeral home character soon. I love her.

jillfoster
09-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Ahhh, Nice to see Mr. Foster back with his tough chick, scataological yet amusing character. I hope he brings back his floral and fauna funeral home character soon. I love her.

Ask and ye shall receieve. I read that Streisand likes to have gardenia blossoms floating in the toilet bowl wherever she goes. Could you imagine... "Ahh... the essence of shit and gardenia". I wouldn't stand for it, defecation on soemthing so beautiful. If she don't want to smell her own fart gas, I suggest she grabs one of these next time she has a seat on the great porcelain God:
http://www.pixiport.com/photography/daddona/images/gas%20mask.jpg

jonc
09-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Ask and ye shall receieve. I read that Streisand likes to have gardenia blossoms floating in the toilet bowl wherever she goes. Could you imagine... "Ahh... the essence of shit and gardenia". I wouldn't stand for it, defecation on soemthing so beautiful. If she don't want to smell her own fart gas, I suggest she grabs one of these next time she has a seat on the great porcelain God:
http://www.pixiport.com/photography/daddona/images/gas%20mask.jpg

Now that was funny.

JimBagley
09-03-2010, 02:00 PM
I've evidenced Mary J Blige be an absolute nasty bitch. I wouldn't p*ss on that woman even if she was on fire, let alone listen to her wailing.

John,
Would you be willing to pee on Ms Blige if she was stung by a jellyfish?

Glenpwood
09-03-2010, 03:23 PM
I hate to back up claims about Ms. Blige but I met her once under less than ideal circumstances [[for her since she was at a hospital and she was just plain nasty to those there to help her, including me). I just chalked it up to the circumstances and the fact it was during her K-Ci Haley and drug issues days. Glad to see she is past all that and seems very centered now. There used to be a great YouTube video up of a little girl who called Mary a B***H for not signing autographs and Mary then ranting about the small child inside the venue. Would love to watch it again...

positivesoul
09-03-2010, 05:12 PM

I don't know Ms. Ross personally so can only speculate, but I have to speak what I do know. A dear and very cool friend, who was actually like a family member for the early part of my life, comes from a very musical line and has worked in the business for most of his life. When he lived in England, he even had a huge hit record over there.

Years later he worked VERY closely for Diana in a non-creative capacity for a couple of years [[no hanky-panky). This was during the Love Hangover period and she was very HOT. He told me then that from his perspective she was one of the nicest persons in the industry! In fact he told me that she was very sad during that period for various reasons and he was very concerned for her.

He's a tough character who doesn't throw unearned flattery around. I've always thought of his words that help to cancel out most of what I've heard otherwise about this icon.

Livingallalone
09-03-2010, 05:33 PM
The Reality is most people are as I have said before "A little bit country, a Little bit rock and roll" [[oh to quote a Osmond ah?) but most people are not the same 24/7 for the most part. Some "stars" grow up after a peroid [[I have heard also that Mary J was a nasty so and so back in the day, but reports of recent are MUCH better) while others tend to blow up.....much as I meet Whitney Houston way back when and was very very nice......However that is not the tale's of the past 10 years. What Early Mary J and LAtter Day Whitney have in common where addictions issues, at least they have "some" excuse.

Hey, I get it.....it's not easy to have be "ON" when your living life-but again.....When you have 6 cars parked in your garage, and 2 or 3 or 4 "garage's" in the world to park your fleet not to mention every other item many people work years to get it be nice if they remembered that THOSE are the people and the reason they have everything they ever dreamed of [[Not to mention the insane talent they have!)

soulster
09-03-2010, 07:12 PM
So if you hear these stories...

Hear? As in "hearsay"?

Over the years I read a lot of stuff on Diana [[you guys know what I'm talking about), so it took me a little while to kinda digest it all and get over it. I realized that she is human and not some perfect goddess, like some fans try to make her out to be. I also realized that there's always two sides to every story and don't always believe EVERYTHING you read.

So, we can't believe the police report of her drunk driving arrest several years ago, when she was stopped driving down the wrong lane?

soulster
09-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Politicians sure don't go givin people "tude" and "Talk to the hand" now do they? Yeah they do! Ever met one? See one on TV?

marv2
09-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Hear? As in "hearsay"?

So, we can't believe the police report of her drunk driving arrest several years ago, when she was stopped driving down the wrong lane?

Soulster you can believe it. There was video of her arrest shown on television with the "unedited" version shown on the internet for quite sometime. You'd better believe it! LOL!!!!!

jillfoster
09-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't know Ms. Ross personally so can only speculate, but I have to speak what I do know. A dear and very cool friend, who was actually like a family member for the early part of my life, comes from a very musical line and has worked in the business for most of his life. When he lived in England, he even had a huge hit record over there.

Years later he worked VERY closely for Diana in a non-creative capacity for a couple of years [[no hanky-panky). This was during the Love Hangover period and she was very HOT. He told me then that from his perspective she was one of the nicest persons in the industry! In fact he told me that she was very sad during that period for various reasons and he was very concerned for her.

He's a tough character who doesn't throw unearned flattery around. I've always thought of his words that help to cancel out most of what I've heard otherwise about this icon.

Who is this person, since all he said was good things.

marv2
09-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Probably her brother. LOL!!!!

Livingallalone
09-03-2010, 08:03 PM
I wrote something it was mean..and I am letting it go.......

nomis
09-03-2010, 09:32 PM
The thing about Diana is for every story of her being snappy theres a story of her being nice heres two that have been told to me that I havent shared before...My uncle delivers clothes in London he was outside Harvey Nichols department store and literally walked straight into Diana carrying some stuff...he said she couldnt have been nicer..I remember an EMI employee telling me that Diana left the stage to do a wardrobe change in Australia and just as she was coming off stage a girl was delivering flowers backstage and got in her way...Diana demanded that the offending flower deliver be fired on the spot....she was told the girl had been fired for her actions when really she hadnt....
Another one - Roland from the Commodores used to be my landlord he told me he went to sign his first contract with Motown...he went into Berrys office and Diana was there,turns out she was to co sign his contract..he told me he asked her an innocent question and she turned around and said "Do you know who Iam???" after the contracts had been signed there was a party Diana had lost the keys to her home and asked Roland to jump the fence and break in for her he said "hell no your Diana Ross get a locksmith!.." he certainly didnt have warm recollections of her.....

carlo
09-04-2010, 01:12 AM

You're pathetic. Done talking to you.

carlo
09-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Soulster you can believe it. There was video of her arrest shown on television with the "unedited" version shown on the internet for quite sometime. You'd better believe it! LOL!!!!!

Sorry Marv, but I don't understand how anyone could "LOL" at alcoholism and drunk driving. Those are serious life threatening issues.

marv2
09-04-2010, 01:37 AM
Sorry Marv, but I don't understand how anyone could "LOL" at alcoholism and drunk driving. Those are serious life threatening issues.

Carlo for better understanding. I am not laughing at the issue [[I've known people personally that have died from acoholism and a good friend of mine's Mother was killed in a horrific accident driving drunk). What I find amusing in the above is that a Diana Ross fan proposes that we should not believe what we "hear" about her and Soulster picks out an example of where there is legitimate proof of something that was "heard about" in the form of audio, video and written documentation by the authorities.

jillfoster
09-04-2010, 01:39 AM
Marv, read Soulster's post again... there's a question mark at the end, i'm not sure, but I think we may be taking his post exactly backwards to what he meant.

marv2
09-04-2010, 02:40 AM
ok let me try that.

soulster
09-04-2010, 09:05 AM

Oh, I know it's true! I live around Tucson and saw it on the local news channel after it happened.

carlo
09-04-2010, 10:59 AM
It was me who said, "Don't believe EVERYTHING you read". It's obvious that you guys know I was talking about gossip and rumours. The smart ass reply that was made to my post was made in poor taste and just another excuse to make a cheap dig at Diana. Totally uncalled for.

jonc
09-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Carlo for better understanding. I am not laughing at the issue [[I've known people personally that have died from acoholism and a good friend of mine's Mother was killed in a horrific accident driving drunk). What I find amusing in the above is that a Diana Ross fan proposes that we should not believe what we "hear" about her and Soulster picks out an example of where there is legitimate proof of something that was "heard about" in the form of audio, video and written documentation by the authorities.

Please..........you were like a pig in shit when Diana got arrested for the DUI and don't even try denying it. All your vile postings are in the archives over in the Mary Wilson Yahoo group. You need to get some serious therapy marv2. Your obsession with Diana Ross is unhealthy and disturbing.

jillfoster
09-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Talk about a disgusting human being. Putting others lives at risk to take a damn movie back to the blockbuster, and from a woman worth millions who could have paid staff run such earrands, she could use a limo, i'm sure the bitch could afford at least a CAB. But as usual, selfish people tend to not think of others, and what their actions mean to other people. This one thing people have said about Diana over and over again through the years... she's not an EVIL person or anything... she can be rather nice sometimes, but she also is selfish and has zero consideration for others. And of course, Karma came back to bite her in the butt. Hopefully now she's an old woman, maybe she's gaining some perspective.

jobeterob
09-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Are we back talking about the Queen again? Deeda?

Rick James said she was one of the finest people he had ever met.

There are people on Soulful Detroit that know her well that would say the same. And they would repeat what we've been told many times - there will be no more reunions and her children will ensure that.

And there are people that don't like her.

And you can say the same thing for me and every other person on here. Probably we can even find someone that doesn't like Carlo much as opposed to 15 that think he is a wonderful guy. And Marv? Well, enough said.

jillfoster
09-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Oh, I know, Rob... but of course Rick James was not exactly a man with good judgement. But I dind't say she was a horrible person, like many, she's got good sides and bad sides. It's just when your bad side endangers people's lives is when that crosses the line.

marv2
09-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Jobeterob, what are you saying about me?

jobeterob
09-04-2010, 05:25 PM
I am saying I missed many of you...........but I've had a great mountain holiday. I cant wait to see if I can post the fighter jet against the glaciers - we'll see. I gotta get home to do that.

And anything more.........well, I guess we'll have to leave that to the various imaginations; and they are rich on SD.

robb_k
09-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I like songs because of the music and singing. I am not a fan of the person or group as individuals ,only his or her or their singing. i will still like their music, even if I find out I don't like the way the person behaves. I still love my sisters and brother, even if I don't like the way they are behaving at the moment. My parents told me that they met James Brown when they took the same airplane flight. They told me he was rude to several people, and he had a "garbage mouth" [[e.g. every other word out of his mouth was a swear word). I still like the recordings of him and his group that I've always liked [[and like them the same amount). I still dislike the songs of his I've always disliked [[the same amount).

marv2
09-04-2010, 07:08 PM
It's probably BEST you do........

nevertoolate
09-04-2010, 07:50 PM
I'am a fan until I have a nasty encounter with them...I have a friend who met one of the Clark Sisters and and the one she met was very cordial friendly and down to earth..she ran into her coming out of an elevator...

Some family members met Lena Horne and got their picture taken with her..she was very down to earth..

soulster
09-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Talk about a disgusting human being. Putting others lives at risk to take a damn movie back to the blockbuster, and from a woman worth millions who could have paid staff run such earrands, she could use a limo, i'm sure the bitch could afford at least a CAB. But as usual, selfish people tend to not think of others, and what their actions mean to other people. This one thing people have said about Diana over and over again through the years... she's not an EVIL person or anything... she can be rather nice sometimes, but she also is selfish and has zero consideration for others. And of course, Karma came back to bite her in the butt. Hopefully now she's an old woman, maybe she's gaining some perspective.

She could also just not have gotten bee-hind the wheel while drunk.

luke
09-04-2010, 08:16 PM
I really think Diana has a mood/personality disorder--Im sure these various stories are true--almost a split personality.

jillfoster
09-04-2010, 08:58 PM
I really think Diana has a mood/personality disorder--Im sure these various stories are true--almost a split personality.

That wouldn't surprise me... she could be Bi-polar.... or in good old fashioned 70's terms.. Manic Depressive.

marv2
09-04-2010, 10:33 PM
No, what she is , she is a pathological narcissitic psychopath. Meaning that she could sit there and watch you die and not feel a thing.

Livingallalone
09-05-2010, 02:07 AM
no, what she is , she is a pathological narcissitic psychopath. Meaning that she could sit there and watch you die and not feel a thing.

Again..I am not going to post what I wrote..not worth it......

jonc
09-05-2010, 06:53 PM
No, what she is , she is a pathological narcissitic psychopath. Meaning that she could sit there and watch you die and not feel a thing.

That's rich coming from a pathological liar who can't even spell "narcissistic."

sophisticated_soul
09-05-2010, 07:25 PM
I think you have gone beyond free speech here. You have made a diagnosis, that I doubt you are qualified to make. Aside from being slanderous, your remark is disrespectful, taunting and way over the line. Not to mention totally sad. If someone made a similar remark about Mary Wilson, I am sure you would be foaming at the mouth and demanding that the moderator step in.

jonc
09-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I think you have gone beyond free speech here. You have made a diagnosis, that I doubt you are qualified to make. Aside from being slanderous, your remark is disrespectful, taunting and way over the line. Not to mention totally sad. If someone made a similar remark about Mary Wilson, I am sure you would be foaming at the mouth and demanding that the moderator step in.

Oh trust me sophisticated_soul, he's said much, much worse about Miss Ross. You should read the vile things he writes in his Mary Wilson yahoo group.

Marv2 claims to be "Mary's" number one fan but he spends more time following and trashing Mary's former singing partner Miss Ross. He has a very sick obsession with Diana Ross.

positivesoul
09-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Who is this person, since all he said was good things.

Sorry jf, altho I love satisfying curiosity when possible, I only posted info shared with me that I thought was not overly personal. The unnamed party shared other info that might be considered more personal, altho not negatively impacting Diana's personality. Though a very few out there might be able to correctly determine who I'm referring to, I wouldn't feel comfortable tossing his name around in this topic without his prior permission.

simplysupreme
09-05-2010, 08:40 PM
That's rich coming from a pathological liar who can't even spell "narcissistic."

It's even richer coming from the poster two entries above that. He can diagnose a mood/personality disorder but can't properly post a damn link!

Livingallalone
09-05-2010, 09:33 PM

Now that is SOOOO TRUE!!!!

waldo
09-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Mary Wilson is very friendly.. and extremely funny. i attended some function, oh maybe a decade ago now and she began chatting with a few of us, telling jokes and THEN invited us all to a club with her.

waldo
09-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Rebbie Jackson was very rude to a friend of mine once.. but then perhaps we shouldn't have called her hotel room!! LMAO hahahahahahaha

i still own her 4 albums.

nomis
09-06-2010, 12:01 AM
The jacksons have a history of being nice to their fans -I wrote to Latoya when I was at school - she wrote back,Janet was nice to my old make up artist in a club with her dancers..although in Boy Georges autobiography he approached Janet on the Solid Gold set sans make up and she was cold to him..later one of her dancers appeared in his dressing room with a video camera asking him to say a few words to Janet..he told her to stick the camera up her etc..a short time later Janet was at his dressing room door apologising for being rude she explained she didnt recognise him and thought he was a fan..he told her even if he was just a fan that was no way to treat someone...a year later they were both on the set of Top Of The Pops and he waved at her and she just gave an icy stare back...when she came to The Virgin records office I worked - for a meet and greet and to recieve her platinum disc for Velvet Rope sales she couldnt have been nicer..I still have a beautiful signed photo..it just depends on the mood of the celebrity I guess...

jillfoster
09-06-2010, 01:04 AM
What an interesting story, nomis! Boy George has always been known for being very loving to his fans, he's a smart man, knows which side his bread is buttered on... and he also is someone who never likes to hurt people's feelings, i'm told.

nomis
09-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks jill - he had a similar experience with Tina Turner -Elton john introduced them backstage after his show..Tina turned her back and wouldnt talk to George..Faye Dunaway saved the moment by giving him a big hug...Boy george wrote that he hated Tina for years after that and only forgave her when he saw the Whats Love Got To Do With it film of her life...

jillfoster
09-06-2010, 11:11 AM
I love these stories... Faye Dunaway? I wonder if she's as big of a diva as has been portrayed?

abfan
09-06-2010, 01:29 PM
I've heard and witnessed every crazy story @ my girl Anita Baker.....Im still somewhat of a fan but not like I used to be because some of this behavouir is not warranted

Livingallalone
09-06-2010, 01:50 PM
I saw the photo's of the AB group at the show and dinner sounds like you all had a great time. In Fact I may have meet you at my LAST [[and will be my last) Anita show 3 or so years ago.My buddy from New Orelans flew up as he had never seen her before.

Bill

abfan
09-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Anita must have really left a lot of folks with a bad taste in their mouths..Because she sure is the 1st name to pop up.....But im not brain washed, trust me Ive seen it myself.Now I dont even bother her or go near her. I let the others do all the fan stuff..I cant tell you why she acts like that.But funny enough she has a fb page trying to reach out to the fans.Oh yeah she has a new cd coming out lol..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfSHGI_9f1Q&feature=recentlik

soulster
09-07-2010, 11:51 AM
It's probably best not to know how what musical heroes are like. It can totally ruin your appreciation of their music for you.

Livingallalone
09-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Had a Pal that Meet Lady gaga this weekend [[the show was really great btw) but he got a tip where she went after the show for dinner and low and behold she was there. She was not only nice she stopped her limo and got out and took pictures and did the whole nine yards. Needless to say, he is more GAGA love than ever. LOL

Now personally I would have thought a Second bad about gaga had she had her car speed off into the night but it was great that she did it this way-

abfan
09-07-2010, 03:36 PM
U know what else is funny As I was boarding my plane to Detroit to see Anita I ran into the Wonderful Marvin Winans,And I asked why didnt u and Anita ever duet Aint No Need to worry..boy the look on his face said a thousand words

Livingallalone
09-07-2010, 04:02 PM
U know what else is funny As I was boarding my plane to Detroit to see Anita I ran into the Wonderful Marvin Winans,And I asked why didnt u and Anita ever duet Aint No Need to worry..boy the look on his face said a thousand words

I really more and more feel that Anita must have Bi-polar or something going on-but Phyllis was Bi-polar and got her self in some bad situations but a fan that "came Right" was never to my eyes ever dished or ignored. However, I guess everyone can have different ways they show their problems.
Still, if your a public figure it's not really anyone else's problem what YOUR trouble's are, especially when you want them to buy your cds and your concert tickets.....Not that they owe the public their souls but common respect yes......

Bill

jillfoster
09-07-2010, 04:32 PM
I really more and more feel that Anita must have Bi-polar or something going on-but Phyllis was Bi-polar and got her self in some bad situations but a fan that "came Right" was never to my eyes ever dished or ignored. However, I guess everyone can have different ways they show their problems.
Still, if your a public figure it's not really anyone else's problem what YOUR trouble's are, especially when you want them to buy your cds and your concert tickets.....Not that they owe the public their souls but common respect yes......

Bill

You make a great point. Many performers are just fine if you "come right", and not act like some nutcake. If your'e just respectful and talk like a normal person.... then much of the time, you'll be good. If you try and pump someone for gossip, then that's gonna put someone off alot of times. But like you said, if you simply say "Good morning" and they give you the hand... then that's their problem for sure. Most people don't even do that to a total stranger, let alone someone that buys your products and pays your bills.

soulster
09-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm thinking famous people feel threatened and paranoid. They know most people they meet are out for a piece of them. There are also a lot of nutjobs out there. They get death threats and morons who want to have their babies. People want to sue. They get no peace and privacy. I almost can't blame them if they do have a "bad day".

OTOH, they should have thought about that before they decided they wanted to get famous.

jillfoster
09-07-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm thinking famous people feel threatened and paranoid. They know most people they meet are out for a piece of them. There are also a lot of nutjobs out there. They get death threats and morons who want to have their babies. People want to sue. They get no peace and privacy. I almost can't blame them if they do have a "bad day".

OTOH, they should have thought about that before they decided they wanted to get famous.

You got THAT right. I hate puttin up people's stupidity... that's why I'd never want to be famous, I'd consider it a curse, to tell you the truth. Of course it depends... most people like "some" success.... but like robin gibb said once he liked "Meausured, respectable success" like they had in 1968-74, once things went into that "Fever" period and you lose control over it, then he HATED it. most performers, I bet even Anita Baker... would be pissed if NOBODY ever came up to them, and people stopped buying thier records and coming to their shows. If she wants to be left alone, she better be careful what she wishes for. And you know, that incident with Anita in the coffee shop, if she didn't want to be bothered or approached at ALL... she could have made her own damn coffee at home, or if she was away from home, ordered it from ROOM SERVICE.

nomis
09-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Hey Jill - Boy George has written about how some fans actually want singers to be rude to them..its gives some of them a sense of importance or something like that..Madonna was infamous in the 80s and 90s for telling fans to F@#K Off when they asked her for autographs..and they got off on it..Boy George wrote about a similar thing when he was a teenage fan waiting outside Bowies house - His then wife Angie opened a window and shouted out for the pesky Bowie fans below to F#@k Off and George wrote that he was happy to have had any response at all....

Livingallalone
09-07-2010, 06:29 PM
You got THAT right. I hate puttin up people's stupidity... that's why I'd never want to be famous, I'd consider it a curse, to tell you the truth. Of course it depends... most people like "some" success.... but like robin gibb said once he liked "Meausured, respectable success" like they had in 1968-74, once things went into that "Fever" period and you lose control over it, then he HATED it. most performers, I bet even Anita Baker... would be pissed if NOBODY ever came up to them, and people stopped buying thier records and coming to their shows. If she wants to be left alone, she better be careful what she wishes for. And you know, that incident with Anita in the coffee shop, if she didn't want to be bothered or approached at ALL... she could have made her own damn coffee at home, or if she was away from home, ordered it from ROOM SERVICE.

Far From that-she is all over the damn place. I must have seen her about 3 or 4 years, in CVS, Kroger, Post office and often in the Coffee store. Now I had nodded towards her and said Hello and that was ok..but this was the FIRST Time I ever tried to speak with her. Now prior other vists I had seen her reading, talking on her cell phone or w/paper work. This day she had nothing...wasn't reading not on the phone and I thought she must know me by now [[from face) and was going to tell her about the book I published [[Not written by, however the writer told me to Give her a copy) so I thought this was the perfect time. Sadly had she heard me out, she may really have been intersted...but....we know how that story ended.......

nomis
09-07-2010, 06:37 PM
old knucklehead strikes again....

abfan
09-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Yes Im afraid I cant even defend her.I think she has short lady sydrome or something.....My friend won a contest from a National TV show to meet Anita .Do you know Anita would'nt meet her and made her stay backstage until she left the studio.Let's just say things between anita and the staff did'nt go well after that

nomis
09-07-2010, 07:45 PM
sorry Abfan - I love Anita but that kind of behaviour is ridiculous and petty..all she had to do was say "hi" sign a picture and have a photo taken with the contest winner..it would have taken five minutes,made the fan happy instead she generates bad feelings all round..the energy to say "no" is much more than saying yes..karma comes around..very sad as I love her music so much..once again knucklehead strikes...

nomis
09-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Theres a touching scene in john lennons "Imagine" documentary where a fan from America has been sleeping rough in the grounds of Lennons UK residence for days hoping to meet him..John invites him in for breakfast and explains when he was making the Beatles music he had no idea who would be listening to his songs..its tragic that another fan with the same sort of thought process would murder him in just a few years time.....

soulster
09-07-2010, 08:34 PM
You got THAT right. I hate puttin up people's stupidity... that's why I'd never want to be famous, I'd consider it a curse, to tell you the truth. Of course it depends... most people like "some" success.... but like robin gibb said once he liked "Meausured, respectable success" like they had in 1968-74, once things went into that "Fever" period and you lose control over it, then he HATED it. most performers, I bet even Anita Baker... would be pissed if NOBODY ever came up to them, and people stopped buying thier records and coming to their shows. If she wants to be left alone, she better be careful what she wishes for.

But, they sure love the money!

Y'all keep talking about Anita baker. I honestly do not follow her career and the last album I got by her is "Giving You The Best That I've Got", but she must have evil pinned to the red, the way you all talk!

abfan
09-07-2010, 08:51 PM
soulster Anita still has a loyal fan base and she can still bring her signature sound to the audience.She hasn't lost that much but her personal treatment to her fans is outrageous..... BTW she has 4 more cd's after that.....Compositions which is her best to me...Rhythm of Love.....My Everything and a Christmas CD

Livingallalone
09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
soulster Anita still has a loyal fan base and she can still bring her signature sound to the audience.She hasn't lost that much but her personal treatment to her fans is outrageous..... BTW she has 4 more cd's after that.....Compositions which is her best to me...Rhythm of Love.....My Everything and a Christmas CD

Although Anita is off her "peak" of the 80's and early 90's she still has the magic as a Singer. The last time I saw her was 3 years ago and while she had us wait nearly 2 hours for her to take the stage, once she did she was still in fine voice and while more or less leaning on her past hits than anything new, that can be said about many many many.....

While I never considered Anita a "favorite" I did always buy her cds and every few years attending her concerts. Now mind you I had encountered her when I worked for Phyllis and I had to walk through the door way she was standing in front of her..as I came close to her she said "NO AUTOGRAPHS OR PHOTOS" and I just smiled and said that's ok I need to walk through the door....needless to say I told Phyllis and she had a few choice words about Miss b...but whatever...I got over that
The 2010 encounter not so much......I got 16,000 songs on my ipods..she has 52 of those songs..I will listen to someone else...

Bill

abfan
09-07-2010, 09:42 PM
hey bill.... small world isnt it.Im sure you heard about ron's backstage drama in detroit

soulster
09-08-2010, 09:20 PM
soulster Anita still has a loyal fan base and she can still bring her signature sound to the audience.She hasn't lost that much but her personal treatment to her fans is outrageous.....

What she, and others like her, need to remember is that it's those fans who got her to where she is today. Without you, and other devoted followers, she would be nowhere.

nomis
09-08-2010, 09:35 PM
There was a concert in around 68 Judy Garland was giving to service men,many in wheelchairs -she hadnt arrived for the gig -her Daughter Lorna and ex husband Sid Luft telephoned her to see what was holding her up...
"Im not coming" she told them,Lorna got on the phone to try and persuade her..
"But Mama they've wheeled them in to see you.."she said..there was a pause from Garland,then she replied icily-
"Well if they wheeled them in....they can wheel them out again!" and slammed down the phone..

The thing about it Anita its not an isolated case of her behaviour - she chooses to act that way so obviously she dosent care what people think...just like Garland by 1968 didnt care about a little bad press..thats the stars perogative and they ultimatley have to deal with the consequences of their actions..

Livingallalone
09-08-2010, 10:36 PM
hey bill.... small world isnt it.Im sure you heard about ron's backstage drama in detroit

Yes I sure did...LAWD have mercy.......As I had mentioned, As I have told my story about seems just abuot everyone has a story about her...and sadly it about 37 bad to 0 nice......