PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Robinson: Time Flies When You're Having Fun

test

carlo
08-04-2010, 10:17 PM
I know, I know...as usual, I'm "late to the party".

I saw Smokey in concert for the first time this past June. He didn't miss a note with his singing and didn't miss a step in his movin and groovin. Absolutely fantastic!

Before the show, I bought his latest CD, "Time Flies When You're Having Fun".

I love what he did with "You're the One For Me Bobby", which he originally wrote for the Marvelettes, and turned it into, "You're the One For Me", a duet with Joss Stone. This 40 year old track sounds so new and fresh.

After listening to the very sexy, "Love Bath", I thought, "Only Smokey could pull off a song like this, even at 70 years old!" And he did it very convincingly.

Most importantly, I believe his cover of Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why" is the biggest gem of all. One may ask, "Who could possibly do this song better than Norah Jones?" My answer would be, "Smokey Robinson". After hearing him perform it in concert and on CD [[many times over), not only did he make this track his own, but I can say with much confidence that his cover of "Don't Know Why" may very well be the definitive version of all time.

"Times Flies When You're Having Fun" is a wonderful album and a contemporary return to the unmistakable smooth style of "Mr. Quiet Storm", Smokey Robinson.

marv2
08-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Mary does it better! [[of course, hehehehehehe.....!) I am happy you enjoyed the show Carlo. Was he in Toronto? Smokey puts on an excellent show and has several generation of fans.

Marv

thommg
08-04-2010, 10:55 PM
This is a really lovely cd. I haven't listened to it lately and you've reminded me to pull it out and put it back in rotation.

carlo
08-04-2010, 11:03 PM
He was in Niagara at the Fallsview.

Bokiluis
06-13-2015, 10:47 PM
iTunes sent out an email indicating more of The Temptations albums have been remastered.

It is a nice artistic specific advertisement with a photo of The Classic 5 era.

You cannot seeing just doing a search for The Temptations on iTunes. I don't believe. And my iPad needs recharging so unfortunately I didn't scan the page. I'm sure others indicating they are Motown fans on iTunes, received it.

sansradio
06-14-2015, 01:36 AM
I just checked iTunes; when you do a "Temptations" search, simply click the lower-right sidebar selection "Temptations: Soul/R&B" after the main page pops up. Quite a few great new additions, including "The Temptations Show" & "Live at London's Talk of Town"!!!

detmotownguy
06-14-2015, 03:25 AM
I know, I know...as usual, I'm "late to the party".

I saw Smokey in concert for the first time this past June. He didn't miss a note with his singing and didn't miss a step in his movin and groovin. Absolutely fantastic!

Before the show, I bought his latest CD, "Time Flies When You're Having Fun".

I love what he did with "You're the One For Me Bobby", which he originally wrote for the Marvelettes, and turned it into, "You're the One For Me", a duet with Joss Stone. This 40 year old track sounds so new and fresh.

After listening to the very sexy, "Love Bath", I thought, "Only Smokey could pull off a song like this, even at 70 years old!" And he did it very convincingly.

Most importantly, I believe his cover of Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why" is the biggest gem of all. One may ask, "Who could possibly do this song better than Norah Jones?" My answer would be, "Smokey Robinson". After hearing him perform it in concert and on CD [[many times over), not only did he make this track his own, but I can say with much confidence that his cover of "Don't Know Why" may very well be the definitive version of all time.

"Times Flies When You're Having Fun" is a wonderful album and a contemporary return to the unmistakable smooth style of "Mr. Quiet Storm", Smokey Robinson.

THamks for the review. Do you know who his backup singers were?