PDA

View Full Version : Swingin' Time - A Complete Episode!

test

marv2
01-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Here is a nice hometown [[Detroit/Windsor) memory. A complete 1966 episode of "Swingin' Time" hosted by Robin Seymour. Enjoy!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYwhk0O_tnE

ralpht
01-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Nice score, Marv. Where did you get that?

RossHolloway
01-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Nice show. Really enjoyed watching the Marvelettes, one of the few live clips I've seen of them, even if they lipsynced their two songs.

marv2
01-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Nice score, Marv. Where did you get that?

Ralph, I personally have had this particular complete episode since the late 80's on video tape [[don't ask me how and where I got it. LOL!) This person clearly has a difference source and I say enjoy it as it may not be up for very long. Remember the good old days? Detroit had it all!

Marv

Roger Polhill
01-18-2012, 06:36 PM
I have a nice copy on DVD.

paladin
01-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Aww man, you had me tripping and flash backing at this dam computer, couldn't stop watching, man they were young, vibrant and fine as hell. Thanks Marv you made my day......wow !

marv2
01-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Aww man, you had me tripping and flash backing at this dam computer, couldn't stop watching, man they were young, vibrant and fine as hell. Thanks Marv you made my day......wow !

Oh man, you made my day to say that I made yours! I wish they had the original commercials. My old copy had a few of them that were done for local businesses.

skooldem1
01-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Marv- I've got to hand it to you. You come up with some good ones. I am only 8 minutes in and it is fantastic. Ok back to the show.

marv2
01-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Marv- I've got to hand it to you. You come up with some good ones. I am only 8 minutes in and it is fantastic. Ok back to the show.

You are welcome. One thing I am proud to say and that is EVERYONE from Detroit could dance in some way, fashion or form. I mean, you know you are in a group of people from Detroit when a hot record comes on and they all start to moving. Age notwithstanding LOL!

blueskies
01-18-2012, 09:24 PM
I had parts of the show on VHS once.....horrible picture quality. It was a pleasure to actually 'see' the show. Thanks for posting.

motony
01-18-2012, 10:25 PM
yea, I have a not so good copy on DVD with Teentown.Thanks Marv, this is so fun to watch...I love Dianas hat.

paladin
01-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Man I know this may sound funny, but it seemed as though the Supremes were a tad bit uncomfortable in welcoming the Marvelettes. This was some raw TV....no script.....Berry saying that they weren't beautiful ????? Diana looking at Berry...and saying [[off camera) Ok wait til after the show.......Flo's glancing around at the different aspects of the show/people...dam she was fine, Mary was beautiful and Diana was cute ....very cosmopolitan................The choreography to Don't Mess With Bill was killer....Marv there was too much going on in this show...........this was really a great experience........Berry Gordy...not knowing what to say? Oh Lord.....great man, Marv you da man !

motony
01-18-2012, 10:53 PM
the Marvelettes were BAAD!The BEST part of the show!!

marv2
01-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Man I know this may sound funny, but it seemed as though the Supremes were a tad bit uncomfortable in welcoming the Marvelettes. This was some raw TV....no script.....Berry saying that they weren't beautiful ????? Diana looking at Berry...and saying [[off camera) Ok wait til after the show.......Flo's glancing around at the different aspects of the show/people...dam she was fine, Mary was beautiful and Diana was cute ....very cosmopolitan................The choreography to Don't Mess With Bill was killer....Marv there was too much going on in this show...........this was really a great experience........Berry Gordy...not knowing what to say? Oh Lord.....great man, Marv you da man !

Hey Kev, good observation in regards to the Supremes welcoming the Marvelettes. It was a little uncomfortable because after all, the Marvelettes were still "the competition" and as you noted, they were superb. You are right, there was no script [[Robin may have had a few notes for himself but that was all). The dancers were serious! LOL! I mean they knew we were all watching back then. These were all local folk. I can remember watching "Swingin Time" as a kid especially in the winter because it seemed to snow all the time back then in Detroit-Windsor-Toledo and we couldn't get out as much. Not at all like it is today when the weather in winter is anybody's guess.

Florence Ballard was phynnnnneeee! If i were say 12-15 years older at that time, I wouldn't have been watching her.....I would have been trying to date her! LOL! I just wished there was a way we could get to see all these old local and national tv shows again.

motony
01-18-2012, 11:02 PM
you can see how Motown was moving the Supremes into the adult supper club scene & here come the rockin Marvelettes lookin very rock n roll cool & "down" with it.I love how Wanda said "hey, girl" to Florence.

stephanie
01-19-2012, 01:09 AM
I have a bad copy of this too it was nice to see it in clear vision. Poor Flo having to defend her weight on tv but she handled herself well. Mary always comes off well in these interviews, and Diana well she is so stylish!

skooldem1
01-19-2012, 01:41 AM
Great show. The dancing, OMG. LoL. Of the three, Mary seems like the quiet one. Flo had a great personality. Diana Ross is simply STUNNING. All three seemed like really cool chicks.

paladin
01-19-2012, 09:20 AM
We didn't get this show in Chicago and although we had Lloyd Thaxton, Big Bill Hill and later Soul Train , this piece was simply remarkable. I guess it reminds me of how good they were in the beginning and why we loved them so. The song "Lovelight Shining Through His Eyes" [[ which I haven't heard in years ) immediately took me back to those wonderful days of the sixities, the dancers where seriously working and the Supremes came across as sweet, humble girls from the Brewster Projects. Flo was a brick house...........

marv2
01-19-2012, 09:36 AM
We didn't get this show in Chicago and although we had Lloyd Thaxton, Big Bill Hill and later Soul Train , this piece was simply remarkable. I guess it reminds me of how good they were in the beginning and why we loved them so. The song "Lovelight Shining Through His Eyes" [[ which I haven't heard in years ) immediately took me back to those wonderful days of the sixities, the dancers where seriously working and the Supremes came across as sweet, humble girls from the Brewster Projects. Flo was a brick house...........

Interesting that you mention Lloyd Thaxton. He is from Toledo! Casey Kasem that hosted the LA dance program "Shebang" and later "American Top 40, is from Detroit!

Everyone from Aretha, the Temptations, Bob Seger to Florence Ballard as a soloist appeared on "Swingin' Time" over the years. Techinically, it was a Canadian television program [[some of the kids were from Canada) but it was still a "local" Detroit program with many Detroiters participating on it. If I ever find a taped copy of the Supremes performing "When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes" from a 1964 episode of "Swingin' Time" it will be the find of the year! I also noticed , in response to one of your earlier comments about the Marvelettes how easy it was for them to switch the lead singer role almost effortlessly and perform two of their biggest hits. That also may have made the Supremes a little uncomfortable.

paladin
01-19-2012, 10:56 AM
I also noticed , in response to one of your earlier comments about the Marvelettes how easy it was for them to switch the lead singer role almost effortlessly and perform two of their biggest hits. That also may have made the Supremes a little uncomfortable.

Great point Marv, I thought so too as you may have noted that "Mary" was singing the lead vocals while the song was playing and then switched in the next camera shot to the backgrounds..........hmmmmmm...........no big deal as fans we do the same thing.......when the Tempts came along we started singing background parts too.......

Yes I know he's from Toledo, I have family there and we would talk about how cool he was all the time, his show would air in the afternoons after school, also a shout out to Mike Douglas who always seemed to have a Motown group on his show. Thanks man...this was a wonderful trip down memory lane.

Kdubya

jobeterob
01-19-2012, 12:27 PM
This was great to watch. So long ago now; hard to believe they wouldn't still have some fond memories that fans could dwell on a little more.

marv2
01-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Great point Marv, I thought so too as you may have noted that "Mary" was singing the lead vocals while the song was playing and then switched in the next camera shot to the backgrounds..........hmmmmmm...........no big deal as fans we do the same thing.......when the Tempts came along we started singing background parts too.......

Yes I know he's from Toledo, I have family there and we would talk about how cool he was all the time, his show would air in the afternoons after school, also a shout out to Mike Douglas who always seemed to have a Motown group on his show. Thanks man...this was a wonderful trip down memory lane.

Kdubya

Kdub, for the "record", Mary Wilson is the only one that knows all the leads, all the backgrounds parts and all of the dance steps........she wrote the book! LOL!

Mike Douglas did a lot to promote the Motown Artists over the years.

marv2
01-26-2012, 02:42 AM
MaryBrewster, here is the original thread in case you missed it.