PDA

View Full Version : Candy and the Kisses interview! Do the 81!

test

stephanie
01-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Not next week but week after I will be interviewing one of the Kisses of Candy and the Kisses - Do the 81fame! I put this on the Motown thread because when we spoke over the phone today one of the things I didnt know was that Ashford and Simpson wrote and sang on some of their songs! Another Motown connection is she said when they played the Apollo I asked her what was one of the weirdest things that ever happened. She said that she saw Diana Ross and Martha Reeves cursing at each other and things got heated but she didnt know what they were fighting over and her protectors [[their management) shooed them away...LOL She found it funny and she doesnt read the books we do so I told her it was well documented that things like that happened. When I get the definite date on Sunday I will post it for blogtalkradio. Jeanette can really talk she misses the old days. For trivia buffs Candy and the Kisses were together for five years.
Steph

motony
01-13-2012, 10:00 PM
LOL, I bet they shooed them away. Melodically you can almost sing In My Lonely Room to the 81.It should be interesting Stephanie.

luke
01-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Wasnt it Candy and guys who were the kisses?

johnny_raven
01-13-2012, 10:53 PM
No, they were: Beryl "Candy" Nelson, her sister Suzanne Nelson And Jeanette Johnson

stephanie
01-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Just so you know Jeanette told me that Suzanne passed away a few years ago and none of them wanted to be lead singers they wanted Candy to be the lead singer. Jeanette says the 2 sisters had great church voices and she learned to sing by listening to them. She was responsible for the make up, and carrying their musical charts around. I asked her if the 81 was a real dance and she said YES the dance came out before the song did. More to come!

reese
01-13-2012, 11:04 PM
One of the songs that Ashford and Simpson [[along with Joshie Armstead) wrote for them was I'LL SETTLE FOR YOU, which was later recorded by Diana for her SURRENDER album.

danman869
01-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Yes, I was just going to post that about "I'll Settle For You" when I started reading this thread. Candy and The Kisses' version is slower than Diana's version, but kind of mature for a girl group in 1965. I like it by both Diana and C&TK.

brother_love
01-14-2012, 01:19 PM
I love their takes on The Last Time, Soldier Baby [[Of Mine) and Out In The Streets Again.

motony
01-14-2012, 01:53 PM
seems I remember Soldier Baby of Mine as a 45 of theirs.

robb_k
01-14-2012, 02:48 PM

seems I remember Soldier Baby of Mine as a 45 of theirs.
Yes. It was Cameo 355.

nabob
01-14-2012, 05:44 PM
. . . . Melodically you can almost sing In My Lonely Room to the 81.It should be interesting Stephanie.When I first heard the 81 I thought that it was a Martha & the Vandellas single in the same vein as In My Lonely Room.

marv2
01-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Not next week but week after I will be interviewing one of the Kisses of Candy and the Kisses - Do the 81fame! I put this on the Motown thread because when we spoke over the phone today one of the things I didnt know was that Ashford and Simpson wrote and sang on some of their songs! Another Motown connection is she said when they played the Apollo I asked her what was one of the weirdest things that ever happened. She said that she saw Diana Ross and Martha Reeves cursing at each other and things got heated but she didnt know what they were fighting over and her protectors [[their management) shooed them away...LOL She found it funny and she doesnt read the books we do so I told her it was well documented that things like that happened. When I get the definite date on Sunday I will post it for blogtalkradio. Jeanette can really talk she misses the old days. For trivia buffs Candy and the Kisses were together for five years.
Steph

Wait a minute! She actually witnessed Diana Ross using profanity in Diana's own presence? hehehehehehe........

luke
01-14-2012, 06:16 PM
LOl--I have read Diana used the f word extensively. Gimme a break!!

roger
01-15-2012, 08:33 AM
This is my favourite CANDY & THE KISSES record .. it was written by Ashford and Simpson, with some assistance from JOSIE ARMSTEAD.

CANDY & THE KISSES .. "Out In The streets Again"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Ir20XfsEs

Its actually well documented that JERRY ROSS and KENNY GAMBLE wrote "The 81" as a kind of homage to "In My Lonely Room". They got the idea for the song after going to a record hop in Philadelphia and seeing some teenagers doing a new dance called "the 81" to "In My Lonely Room". :)

Roger

motony
01-15-2012, 10:46 AM
If you have ever seen the movie The In Crowd about a Banstand type show, I think it came out in early 80's, the song "The Real Thing" by Tina Britt is featured in the great dance scene & I think that dance was the 81....never saw the dance back in the day, I think it was just a Northeast thing.

splanky
01-15-2012, 12:09 PM
The history of The 81 I knew but I'd never heard Out On The Streets Again until today. Love it! Thanks for posting
that, Roger....

motown_david
01-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Stephanie- I passed the news on to Mick Patrick at Ace Records in London about your upcoming interview with Jeanette Johnson of Candy and the Kisses and he's already very excited at the prospect of listening to it. A few years ago Mick compiled a great CD by this group which contained all of their tracks, including several written by Ashford and Simpson. I have it in my collection. Mick would very much like to contact you and if you are willing to be contacted then you can email me privately at dwbell23@aol.com and then I'll provide you with Mick's email address.

blueskies
01-15-2012, 10:24 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00005IB78/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00005IB78/ref=dp_otherviews_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&img=1

Great CD. Great group. Sorry to hear one of the members has passed away.

dzMusica
02-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Is this interview ready to listen to?