PDA

View Full Version : Supremes Greatest Hits Volume 3

test

marybrewster
01-13-2012, 11:07 AM
A couple of questions on this release:

*Upon it's release, was anyone confused about the title [[wondering what happened to Volume 2?). It's now known that thier "Greatest Hits" [[blue, double LP) is considered Volume 1 and 2, but no where on that release is it noted.

*Why were "Love Is Here" and "The Happening" reincluded, when the hit "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" wasn't?

uptight
01-13-2012, 11:40 AM
The Blue GH LP only became Vol. 1 & 2 when it was released as two separate compact discs in the 1990s. Then the original GH "Volume 2" [[with the white cover) became Vol. 3 on compact disc.

As the original blue Greatest Hits LP package was released in 1967, "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" was not yet released [[1968). And when the white cover GH Vol 2 was released in 1969, I'm assuming the duet wasn't including because it was a duet instead of a DRATS track.

kenneth
01-13-2012, 11:53 AM
In the US, the "white album" was always issued as Volume 3. Yes, it seemed odd at the time. It seemed to be a way for Motown to "pad" the Supremes legacy. Greatest hits packages were often 2-LP sets, so this seemed to be kind of cheesy to me.

I think the reason the earlier two songs were included again was just because the Supremes didn't have much new hit material at the time. I believe the reason the Temptations duets were left off was so as not to cannibalize the duet LPs which were still doing well on the charts at the time.

marybrewster
01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Looking at this LP; it looks like a rush, budget release. Where the blue "Greatest Hits" was lush with liner notes and the most "supreme" portraits of Diana, mary, and Flo, this one looks pretty cheap and not designed well as a companion release to the former. Maybe by this time the focus was to get Diana on her own and Mary and Cindy with Jean?

kenneth
01-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Looking at this LP; it looks like a rush, budget release. Where the blue "Greatest Hits" was lush with liner notes and the most "supreme" portraits of Diana, mary, and Flo, this one looks pretty cheap and not designed well as a companion release to the former. Maybe by this time the focus was to get Diana on her own and Mary and Cindy with Jean?

I'm sure that was the case. From Wikipedia, it looks like they released 4 LPs in 1969: Let the Sunshine In, Together with the Tempts, Cream of the Crop and GH Vol. 3. Farewell came out in 1970, but I believe the farewell performance was pretty early in the year. So GH Vol. 3 had to be released shortly before the Farewell LP, or at least not long before.

Where is Jimi LaLumia? He always has sources for the exact release dates of everything...

RossHolloway
01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Aside from the Miracles greatest hits album, wern't all the other greatest hits albums just a single record? I'm referring to the greatest hits albums put out on the artist starting in 1966[[?) with all the album jackets essentially the same design. The Temps had a blue cover, Mary Wells was gray, the Marvelettes was green...

marybrewster
01-13-2012, 01:59 PM
"Sunshine" was released May 26, 1969
"Together" was released September 23, 1969
"Cream" was released November 3, 1969
"Broadway" was released November 7, 1969
"Vol. 3" was released December 18, 1969
"Farewell" was released April 13, 1970
"Right On" was released April 26, 1970

While "Right On" obviously was not a Diana Ross record, that is 7 Supremes releases in one calendar year.

marybrewster
01-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Aside from the Miracles greatest hits album, wern't all the other greatest hits albums just a single record? I'm referring to the greatest hits albums put out on the artist starting in 1966[[?) with all the album jackets essentially the same design. The Temps had a blue cover, Mary Wells was gray, the Marvelettes was green...

Yes, and the Vandellas was gold. You would just think that being the Supremes were Motown's biggest stars [[IMO), that their "final" release would have been a little more elaborate. Some liner notes, maybe even a gatefold.

RossHolloway
01-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Yes, and the Vandellas was gold. You would just think that being the Supremes were Motown's biggest stars [[IMO), that their "final" release would have been a little more elaborate. Some liner notes, maybe even a gatefold.

Well the GH3 album and the songs included kinda spoke for themselves. It's not like the group was a new or unknown entity in late '69. What was to be added? Plus didn't Farewell have a pull out insert?

marybrewster
01-13-2012, 03:43 PM
As mentioned, "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" could have been included. Or some B-sides, much like the first Greatest Hits package.

For their swan song LP, it kinda sucked.

BayouMotownMan
01-13-2012, 05:39 PM
One of the reasons GH3 didn't do so well, it was out there at the same time as Together, Cream of the Crop and GIT. Gordy flooded the market on Ross for her farewell. The lps competed and none did very well.

Love Is Here and The Happening were included to add more No.1's on the set. Gonna Make You Love Me I guess just didn't occur to anyone since it was duet. Back then, they didn't mix this stuff up like it is done now. Also, The Young Folks was gratefully left off. GH3 truly is a weak lp and the cover purely third rate

nabob
01-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Here is a link to view covers from that era.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24608030@N06/sets/72157615997473344/

mysterysinger
01-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the link.

luke
01-13-2012, 09:14 PM
I always assumed since there were two records it was volumes 1 and 2 so Volume three didnt surprise me.

stephanie
01-13-2012, 10:46 PM
I wonder whose bright idea it was for them to even do the Young Folks that is a horrible record IMO. Bayou thanks for the clarification because I remember as a child the market being flooded with Diana Ross and the Supremes this and that and I knew everyone had the blue album but the other ones I only saw in a few households. I was a little shocked that
the Farewell album didnt do better though. I guess since people saw TCB and GIT and Someday Well Be Together [[which sold very well) was on the market ...Farewell didnt get airplay so for those who are into live albums they are the only ones who scooped it up.

luke
01-13-2012, 10:49 PM
And yet the Young Folks made the charts.

redlabs
01-13-2012, 11:16 PM
i liked the YOUNG FOLKS and thought it should have been included[[imo). yeah i think everyone thought the Vol 3 was a strange release as i always thought it should have been Vol 2 and Vol 3 the Jean years etc.
yeah , and the cover art was cheesey,a;though i like it better than LET THE SUNSHINE IN. but i would have used a more glam shot for the cover.

bradsupremes
01-14-2012, 12:27 AM
I thought I would redesign the "Greatest Hits - Vol. 3" album cover to look like Marvin Gaye's and Smokey & the Miracles' Greatest Hits - Vol. 2 albums. I could have done a lot better with it, but I just threw it together. Much better than the original design. Enjoy!

Sugarchilehoneybaby
01-14-2012, 12:34 AM
In the US, the "white album" was always issued as Volume 3. Yes, it seemed odd at the time. It seemed to be a way for Motown to "pad" the Supremes legacy. Greatest hits packages were often 2-LP sets, so this seemed to be kind of cheesy to me.

I think the reason the earlier two songs were included again was just because the Supremes didn't have much new hit material at the time. I believe the reason the Temptations duets were left off was so as not to cannibalize the duet LPs which were still doing well on the charts at the time.

2-Lp Greatest Hits sets were actually not the norm. In fact, Diana Ross & The Supremes Greatest Hits [Vol. 1&2] was the very first double-LP greatest hits package in chart history to hit #1. And on top of that, it was only the 2nd greatest hits album to ever hit #1 , the first being Johnny Mathis nearly 10 years earlier.

It was also only the 2nd 2-LP album to ever hit #1 - of any type of album! The first being 'Judy Garland live at Carnegie Hall'.

kenneth
01-14-2012, 01:50 AM
Bradsupremes - Great cover design, and yes, much improved over the original!

mysterysinger
01-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Like the re-design of the Volume 3 - very nice, though maybe it was Volume 2 that could have done with a makeover, bearing in mind that, for the CD at least, its just a reddy pink version of the blue Volume 1 cover. As ever though, a quality re-design by BS.

rovereab
01-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Great redesign bradsupremes!

jobeterob
01-14-2012, 02:15 PM
I think I got this eventually because I didn't buy the album Reflections and I wanted the song In and Out of Love; I remember how much I liked the background work and the interaction of Diana Ross and what I thought were the Supremes. And it was only last month I found out it was just the Andantes.

Sugarchilehoneybaby
01-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Love the design Brad! You are quite talented to whip that up in a jiffy! Also, lol that it has "No Matter What Sign You Are" twice, but still no "Young Folks"! :)

jbpintus
01-14-2012, 10:17 PM
There's a very strange thing with the GREATEST HITS VOL.1 and VOL.2 cds...

From the wears that can be seen, there's no doubt that the same lp art was used for :
Grestest Hits Vol.1 / Vol.2 [[2fer) : MCD08029MD
Grestest Hits Vol.1 : MOTD-5357
Grestest Hits Vol.2 : MOTD-5358
Grestest Hits Vol.1 : 3746353572
Grestest Hits Vol.2 : 3746353582

So the lp arts should look exectly the same on each cd edition as one and only lp cover was used to create the cd arts, but they don't !

Ready ?

Both lps on the 2fer have the 'Deluxe package...' sticker, the blue and the pink art [[even if on the picture we can't really see it, I confirm it is there on my cd)
Else only the MOTD-5358 volume 2 blue cd has this sticker : it has been removed for MOTD-5357 volume 1 blue cd and for both 37463535x2 volume 1 and 2 cds

Both MOTD cds are blue ! Volume 1 has no sticker and volume 2 has it
3746353572 volume 1 is blue without sticker
3746353582 is pink without sticker

I know I must not be that clear, so here's a picture : above are the MOTD cds [[volume 1 on the left and volume 2 on the right), and below are the 37463535x2 cds in the same order, and then the 2fer. The sticker I'm reffering to is left of the "S" from Supremes

Seen from another way :
-all 3 Volume 2 arts are different [[blue with sticker / pink without sticker / pink with sticker)
-volume 1 is blue, but the sticker appears on the 2fer only
-blue with sticker is the MOTD volume 2 art AND the 2fer voume 1 art [[so a different 'album')
-only volume 1 on stand alone cds both have the same art

Even if you can't clearly see on y picture which one is the MOTD or the 374635 cd, it's quite easy to notice the barcode is bigger and larger on one of each edition of each volume. The barcode is bigger on the MOTD releases [[cds above)

Strange huh ?

JB-P

mysterysinger
01-15-2012, 12:13 AM
And for good measure....

Sugarchilehoneybaby
01-15-2012, 12:49 AM
And for good measure....

Thanks for posting that, because it made me remember another funny thing: that *BOTH* those pics of the girls were also used in the 'Reflections' LP montage!

LOL! What a hot mess that Vol. 3 was, honey.

franjoy56
01-15-2012, 01:36 AM
I totally agree that album was a mess, which is why they had to add in "Love Is Here and Now Your Gone" as well as the "The Happening" both number one hits with Ballard's vocals on both tracks, or they could have added some of their b sides like "The Beginning of the End" featuring Syretta , Mary and Cindy and the ever popular "He's My Sunny Boy" featuring Mary & Cindy on backup vocals. the concept cover was thoughtless.l

ejluther
01-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Speaking of the REFLECTIONS LP cover, isn't there something about how a few copies were printed with a different cover featuring Flo [[and Cindy?) but they had stickers put over them or something? Was there ever a cover for the REFLECTIONS LP that featured Flo?

bradsupremes
01-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Speaking of the REFLECTIONS LP cover, isn't there something about how a few copies were printed with a different cover featuring Flo [[and Cindy?) but they had stickers put over them or something? Was there ever a cover for the REFLECTIONS LP that featured Flo?

I've only seen a small picture of the "Reflections" LP album cover featuring Flo and Cindy. I know some people have said they have the Flo/Cindy one with the new cover pasted over it. I don't think there ever was a version of "Reflections" that featured just Florence on the cover. The one thing I don't understand though is why even created one with Florence in the first place. The "Reflections" album wasn't completed until early 1968. Florence had been gone for roughly 8 months. They had already been recording Diana, Mary and Cindy in the studio, new gowns were sized for Cindy, Cindy had already been announced as the new Supreme and made TV appearances plus there was no sign whatsoever of Florence returning. Why would they include her on the album cover when it was clear that she was never coming back. Maybe miscommunication between Motown and the art department?

robbert
01-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Brad, the latter seems to be evident. In my record company days errors like that were made every now and then. Pure lack [[or late) communication. But in the case of the Most Succesful Girl Group Of All Times it shouldn't have happened!

kenneth
01-15-2012, 04:59 PM
I've only seen a small picture of the "Reflections" LP album cover featuring Flo and Cindy. I know some people have said they have the Flo/Cindy one with the new cover pasted over it. I don't think there ever was a version of "Reflections" that featured just Florence on the cover. The one thing I don't understand though is why even created one with Florence in the first place. The "Reflections" album wasn't completed until early 1968. Florence had been gone for roughly 8 months. They had already been recording Diana, Mary and Cindy in the studio, new gowns were sized for Cindy, Cindy had already been announced as the new Supreme and made TV appearances plus there was no sign whatsoever of Florence returning. Why would they include her on the album cover when it was clear that she was never coming back. Maybe miscommunication between Motown and the art department?

I have the "paste over" cover, but as I recall it's the back cover art only which was modified and pasted over. I remember being able to see the same text - in slightly different or larger font type - on the cover underneath, with the headings "Reflections of how life used to be..." or however it was worded on the liner notes. Can anyone verify it was only the back cover art which needed to be changed?

jeff9nyc
01-15-2012, 05:43 PM
I have the "paste over" cover, but as I recall it's the back cover art only which was modified and pasted over. I remember being able to see the same text - in slightly different or larger font type - on the cover underneath, with the headings "Reflections of how life used to be..." or however it was worded on the liner notes. Can anyone verify it was only the back cover art which needed to be changed?

Kenneth...a good friend of mine also has the "pasted over" version of "Reflections." I believe that you are right. It only looks like it was the back cover that was redone. I remember trying to see if the original back mentioned Florence and if that might have been the reason for the new back overlay. But, both versions just mention Diana's good friends Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong. Who knows. Maybe it's one of those mysteries like the 2 back covers for "The Supremes At The Copa," or "The Supremes Sing Rodgers and Hart." Go figure!

reese
01-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, it should have been the front cover which should have had to be pasted over. Supposedly, there are copies that have both Flo and Cindy on the front cover. I've never seen one in person, only on old Motown 45 sleeves.

As Brad wrote, it doesn't make sense that Flo would have been on the cover, considering the 1968 release date.

reese
01-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Kenneth...a good friend of mine also has the "pasted over" version of "Reflections." I believe that you are right. It only looks like it was the back cover that was redone. I remember trying to see if the original back mentioned Florence and if that might have been the reason for the new back overlay. But, both versions just mention Diana's good friends Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong. Who knows. Maybe it's one of those mysteries like the 2 back covers for "The Supremes At The Copa," or "The Supremes Sing Rodgers and Hart." Go figure!

Interesting to say the least. It seems like a waste of money if it was only to update the back, especially if Flo wasn't mentioned. Maybe it had something to do with Diana's age. My copy says Diana was 22 years old, when she actually about to turn 24.

kenneth
01-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Interesting to say the least. It seems like a waste of money if it was only to update the back, especially if Flo wasn't mentioned. Maybe it had something to do with Diana's age. My copy says Diana was 22 years old, when she actually about to turn 24.

As I recall, it was the photos which had to be changed as some of the photos were with Florence and included in the album art in error. I remember looking through at the text below and it seemed to be the same.

jeff9nyc
01-15-2012, 06:28 PM
As I recall, it was the photos which had to be changed as some of the photos were with Florence and included in the album art in error. I remember looking through at the text below and it seemed to be the same.

Nope...the photo on the back was the same. I was a crazy kid! I checked it all out. It was more the layout and a different font size. The text was the same. Who knows why Florence was in some of the shots of the original cover collage. As Mary and Diana have said many times, maybe they weren't sure if Florence was coming back at that point and Cindy was a temporary replacement. So, maybe they didn't want Florence entirely erased from history. But, by the time the album was released maybe they were sure that Cindy was to be a permanent member and redid the cover? Just a guess...

kenneth
01-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Nope...the photo on the back was the same. I was a crazy kid! I checked it all out. It was more the layout and a different font size. The text was the same. Who knows why Florence was in some of the shots of the original cover collage. As Mary and Diana have said many times, maybe they weren't sure if Florence was coming back at that point and Cindy was a temporary replacement. So, maybe they didn't want Florence entirely erased from history. But, by the time the album was released maybe they were sure that Cindy was to be a permanent member and redid the cover? Just a guess...

Oh, that really is strange. I assumed that's why it was pasted over, to replace the Florence photos! So was the front cover pasted over as well in some batches then? Now I have to dig out my old copies and look at them again.

robbert
01-15-2012, 07:46 PM
"Sunshine" was released May 26, 1969
"Together" was released September 23, 1969
"Cream" was released November 3, 1969
"Broadway" was released November 7, 1969
"Vol. 3" was released December 18, 1969
"Farewell" was released April 13, 1970
"Right On" was released April 26, 1970

While "Right On" obviously was not a Diana Ross record, that is 7 Supremes releases in one calendar year.
Thanks marybrewster, for this information. Good to have it on hand.

franjoy56
01-15-2012, 08:47 PM
you also have to remember Flo had just settled with motown in march of 68, for the big settlement and had signed with ABC by this time, she was no longer a part of the Motown family, and Berry had closed the door to Flo and any contacts with the Supremes, but shortly after Mary had invited her to the Gordy mansion as you may all have read months later, the Reflections album came out a month or so after Flo had settled with Motown..

robbert
01-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Franjou56, what has this got to do with anything?

franjoy56
01-15-2012, 10:25 PM
i am stating facts, the timeline between the two, yes flo had been out of the group for several months and people were wondering why the pics of Flo were ever taken, others stated maybe she was coming back, others stated other views, but i mentioned Flo had signed her release from motown a month before the album came out and all ties were cut from supremes and Flo. this is only coincidence in what happened here that is all.

ejluther
01-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Supposedly, there are copies that have both Flo and Cindy on the front cover. I've never seen one in person, only on old Motown 45 sleeves.
I don't suppose anyone has a scan of/link to this, do they?

reese
01-15-2012, 11:11 PM
I don't suppose anyone has a scan of/link to this, do they?

You'll probably have to search the archives. But I know such a scan was shown in a thread on this topic before.

ejluther
01-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks - I'll look for it and post it back here if I can find it. My first search for "Reflections cover" wasn't very fruitful yet, I'm afraid...

ETA: I found this:
http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/126619.html?1161370089

uptight
01-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Maybe Flo's image was going to be used out of respect to her and Supremes fans before her lawsuits against Motown. At least one tune with Flo [["What The World Needs Now Is Love") was included, possibly for the same reason [[out of respect for her and the fans).

Or was the advertisement in the 45 sleeve was just an early mock-up with Flo's image as a temporary placeholder? I doubt if any front covers with Flo were even printed in the factory. And pasting over a front cover would have been difficult because all of Motown's albums covers wrapped around the back cover [[while the back artwork was pasted on as a square sheet, covering up the corner seams). I, too, have a monaural Reflections cover with the back cover paste-over. Like jeff9nyc said, it was really just a font size change and a picture re-size. In my opinion, including a picture of Flo on Reflections would have still been appropriate, since she is heard on "What The World Needs Now Is Love." And a new perspective I have had on the title track is that it could be about Flo's time with the group [["Reflections of the way life used to be..."). That makes the lyrics seem more bittersweet.

Regarding the Greatest Hits cover, the "sticker" on the upper left wasn't really a sticker but part of the cover art and was likely covered up for one of those CD versions.

Also, I didn't realize "Love Is Here" and "The Happening" were duplicated on the GH Vol 2 [[white cover) LP and there were only 11 tracks instead of the usual 12. No wonder I never bought this album. There was nothing special about it, made for the casual fan.

redlabs
01-16-2012, 10:08 AM
great album art work Brad,thanks.enjoy your mock covers,some are better than the originals

marybrewster
01-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Interesting too that both pictures used on the GHV3 cover were already used on the Reflections LP.....

longtimefan
09-18-2012, 12:17 AM
I thought I would redesign the "Greatest Hits - Vol. 3" album cover to look like Marvin Gaye's and Smokey & the Miracles' Greatest Hits - Vol. 2 albums. I could have done a lot better with it, but I just threw it together. Much better than the original design. Enjoy!

Bradsupremes,
This design is great. Is it available without the watermark? I'd love to have one. Thanks in advance.

Kamasu_Jr
09-20-2012, 12:13 PM
One of the reasons GH3 didn't do so well, it was out there at the same time as Together, Cream of the Crop and GIT. Gordy flooded the market on Ross for her farewell. The lps competed and none did very well.

Love Is Here and The Happening were included to add more No.1's on the set. Gonna Make You Love Me I guess just didn't occur to anyone since it was duet. Back then, they didn't mix this stuff up like it is done now. Also, The Young Folks was gratefully left off. GH3 truly is a weak lp and the cover purely third rate

According to my dad, The Young Folks single did very well in Youngstown, Ohio and northeastern Ohio. WHOT, the top AM Pop station in Y-town played it during the summer of 1969 and it began to take off in terms of local sales. But Motown eventually pulled back on promotion. However, if DRATS would have done a concert in Youngstown, they probably would have been asked to perform it because some people knew it.

George Solomon
09-20-2012, 12:19 PM
There was an original line up of Greatest Hits 3 that included "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" and "I'll Try Something New" in place of "Love Is Here" and "The Happening". Someone in Motown finance explained the problem to me years ago. Don't quote me because I'm paraphrasing but I believe in the 60's if another artist had even one song on an LP the royalties for the whole album would have had to be split equally. That's why albums were usually entire duet albums not just one or two tracks as duets as they are today. It was different overseas and most of the Greatest Hits outside of America included the duets. I guess they could have used some B-sides as replacements [[maybe "Going Down For The Third Time" and "The Young Folks"?) but I guess using the number one hits made it a stronger package.

Kamasu_Jr
09-20-2012, 02:29 PM
There was an original line up of Greatest Hits 3 that included "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" and "I'll Try Something New" in place of "Love Is Here" and "The Happening". Someone in Motown finance explained the problem to me years ago. Don't quote me because I'm paraphrasing but I believe in the 60's if another artist had even one song on an LP the royalties for the whole album would have had to be split equally. That's why albums were usually entire duet albums not just one or two tracks as duets as they are today. It was different overseas and most of the Greatest Hits outside of America included the duets. I guess they could have used some B-sides as replacements [[maybe "Going Down For The Third Time" and "The Young Folks"?) but I guess using the number one hits made it a stronger package.

Interesting. I just think most of the albms released by Motown in 1969 were just odd. A Bag of Soup by Soupy Sales? You could tell Mr. Gordy's and his associates heads were elsewhere, probably looking west. Heck, BG was already in Hollywood. The top Motown acts were always on the road working and not in the studio and H-D-H were long gone and were just beginning to set up their own shop [[Invictus) and things were getting a bit stale around Motown.

Jimi LaLumia
09-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Greatest Hits Vol.3 was obviously a 'legacy' release )[["wow, ANOTHER hits album!") to build up Diana Ross as the plans for her solo career were ready to kick, thus the "ooow!Ah!" factor that this key hit making artist was about to enter another phase..
it was basically a going away present for the hard core fans who always had to have another Supremes album, no matter what it was..and the lack of real hits for the group in 1969 made this a necessity to bolster the image of Ross going solo and the group continuing without her...and of course, many of us bought it instantly, the same songs AGAIN!!..lol

Sacramento John
09-20-2012, 04:25 PM
I remember when I first saw this release. I was very dissappointed, but there was consolation at the time with: "GIT" "Cream Of The Crop" "Together" and the fact that "Someday" was being played non-stop on the radio and the Ed Sullivan appearance just before New Years Eve. I thought that, perhaps, the inclusion of the first 2 1967 releases was an effort to make it seem as if the DRATS era began in Jan of 67. Thank you George for your explanation, that makes a lot of sense. I'm glad that NOW we have folks like George, Harry, & Andy picking up the pieces and really giving some great releases. I was so appreciative of the time, thought & effort that went into putting the Supremes "Gold" release together a few years ago. It very nicely brought together all the "Greatest Hits" editions into a very attactive set. Though I already had all those tracks on other CD's, I was drawn to this one since it had the same track order as the blue double album set. George, a very big "Thank you" for ALL that you have done, especially in the 1986-91 timeframe, to get those releases out to us. There was a lot of sadness, sickness, & loss going on around me during those years. Finding your Supreme gems at Tower records was an uplifting joy that help me to cope.

George Solomon
09-21-2012, 01:07 AM
That's a nice compliment, John and much appreciated.

Bokiluis
09-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Bradsupreme, great cover! I read somewhere that though the Vol. 3 did not have strong chart rankings, it did eventually sell over 1 million copies. Remember Motown was extremely erratic in certifying their releases through the RIAA. But I to agree that Vol. 3 was a dissappointing release as far as design and content. Compared to the elegant "Greatest Hits", it seemed like an afterthought, just like the final Diana Ross and The Supremes albums were [["Let the Sunshine In", "Cream of the Crop", etc.)

BayouMotownMan
09-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Gordy released lps on Soupy Sales, Joe Hinton and Jonah Jones because these artists opened for his bigger acts and he became friendly with them more than likely. Also Motown was trying to expand beyond the rock and soul arena. Thus the albums on Barbara McNair and Billy Eckstine. Motown even went Country in 1974 with less than impressive results. It's all about marketing.

mysterysinger
02-13-2015, 01:35 PM
A much belated "by the way" - what we got in the UK [[volumes 1 and 2).

[[S)TML11063
Greatest Hits

A1 Stop! In The Name Of Love
A2 Nothing But Heartaches
A3 When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes
A4 My World Is Empty Without You
A5 Where Did Our Love Go
A6 Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
A7 Come See About Me
A8 I Hear A Symphony
B1 Reflections
B2 Back In My Arms Again
B3 You Keep Me Hangin' On
B4 Whisper You Love Me Boy
B5 The Happening
B6 Love Is Here And Now You're Gone
B7 You Can't Hurry Love
B8 Baby Love

STML11146
Greatest Hits Volume 2

A1 Someday We'll Be Together
A2 I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
A3 Love Child
A4 I Second That Emotion
A5 Some Things You Never Get Used To
A6 I'll Try Something New
A7 Honey Bee [[Keep On Stinging Me)
B1 Forever Came Today
B2 The Weight
B3 In And Out Of Love
B4 No Matter What Sign You Are
B5 Why [[Must We Fall In Love)
B6 The Composer
B7 I'm Livin' In Shame

soulballad
02-13-2015, 02:34 PM
George's explanation makes sense. I had assumed that it was because Reflections, The Happening and Love is Here were songs that featured actual Supremes. I read somewhere that in order to consider a release a legitimate group an album has to feature at least one song by the actual group. Am I wrong on this? Plus Reflections was the end of a streak, that was also orginally meant to be the Blue Greatest Hits package. Also all of the DRATS singles at least featured actual Supremes on the B-sides therefore it was Diana and the Supremes with the exception of No Matter what sign you are but by then it was over anyway!

Philles/Motown Gary
02-13-2015, 10:10 PM
Yes, Ross, with the exception of The Miracles and The Supremes, Motown's 1960's "Greatest Hits" album series were one-disc albums. The 2-disc Anthology series didn't come out until the mid-'70s.

BTW, The Marvelettes' 1960's "Greatest Hits" album cover was originally a mustardy/yellow [[at least here in the U.S.). For whatever reason, the reissued version 20 years later was changed to green.

carole cucumber
02-13-2015, 10:36 PM
http://bsnpubs.com/motown/tamla/253.jpghttp://bsnpubs.com/motown/tamla/253a.jpg

Gary,
The cover color changed much earlier than you acknowledged.
The original lp first pressing cover was yellow; the second pressing , green. When re-issued in 1981 as M5-180V1, the green cover was used.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-14-2015, 01:05 AM
http://bsnpubs.com/motown/tamla/253.jpghttp://bsnpubs.com/motown/tamla/253a.jpg

Gary,
The cover color changed much earlier than you acknowledged.
The original lp first pressing cover was yellow; the second pressing , green. When re-issued in 1981 as M5-180V1, the green cover was used.
That's interesting, Carole. I bought my Mono copy when it first hit the store shelves. I never saw hide-nor-hair of the 2nd-pressing green version. But, then, again, I wasn't looking for it. And, although it was my very first Marvelettes album, which I loved, it wasn't an album that you would see just anywhere [[unlike The Supremes' albums which were widely available in all stores). It's odd that Motown would change colors between pressings, but it's good to know. Thanks!

Philles/Motown Gary
02-14-2015, 01:16 AM

Hey, nice job, Brad. That's a really classy cover!

jobeterob
02-14-2015, 01:16 AM
Listed as selling 1,275,000 copies, Motown data, through 1988!

RobertZ
02-14-2015, 09:52 AM
I LOVED GH3! Despite it's rather fug cover ... I was just 13-14 yo when it was released, and it was actually my first only-Supremes LP; the actual first was "TCB". I guess every year or so there are new fans coming into the fold; that may have some relevance to label decision makers.

johnjeb
02-14-2015, 10:24 AM
That's interesting, Carole. I bought my Mono copy when it first hit the store shelves. I never saw hide-nor-hair of the 2nd-pressing green version. But, then, again, I wasn't looking for it. And, although it was my very first Marvelettes album, which I loved, it wasn't an album that you would see just anywhere [[unlike The Supremes' albums which were widely available in all stores). It's odd that Motown would change colors between pressings, but it's good to know. Thanks!

A friend and I bought the album in 1966. Mine was mono and the green cover. Hers was the yellow cover, which I envied and lusted after, but I'm not sure if it was mono or stereo.

I don't recall seeing the yellow cover in the stores. Maybe I did and thought the yellow was for stereo and the green for mono. I only had a mono record player not a stereo [[my parents had that) and stereo cost more which I couldn't afford if I wanted to buy lots and lots and lots of records.

Ironically it was on the back cover of this album where I first saw the picture of The Supremes' Symphony album. I didn't even know they had a new album and I was in record stores almost daily. I thought it strange that a Marvelettes album was advertising a Supremes album.

Both albums came out at the same time in February 1966. I think I got The Supremes album instead. I recall sneaking Symphony into the house because I was grounded, for one thing or another. So I think also buying The Marvelettes would have led to house-arrest.

I ended up buying The Marvelettes Greatest Hits later in the year when I joined the Columbia Record Club - so maybe by then only green was available. I also got the GH by Marvin, Martha and Mary at the same time so I think that was early summer of 1966. By then I had every Supremes album [[and LIVE albums from the Apollo and Paris) and all these Greatest Hits and there was no turning back! And then came A' Go-Go.

sup_fan
02-14-2015, 10:26 AM
i think the packaging of GH3 is sloppy - at least have different back cover art. the front is soso.

As for adding Happening and Love is Here, i think part of it was to fill out the 12 tracks needed at the time for the lp and to also add some more big hits. while this lp certainly wasn't a milestone in creativity, most Greatest Hits packages really aren't. the whole idea with these lp's is to repackage top songs and drive additional sales. it's purely a money move by the label.

now granted the blue package was beautifully done with much care given to the overall design. and it sold MILLIONS. being an expensive double-lp set, that's quite an accomplishment. But it also contained 10 #1 singles, 2 additional top tens and 2 more top 40s.

as for GH3, i'm not at all surprised that it sold well even if it didn't chart well. out of 12 songs, 4 were #1, 3 more Top 10 and 5 more Top 40. even just the "big hits" that's 7 top tracks. not too shabby

kenneth
02-14-2015, 11:14 AM
A friend and I bought the album in 1966. Mine was mono and the green cover. Hers was the yellow cover, which I envied and lusted after, but I'm not sure if it was mono or stereo.

That's so funny. I had both covers and in mine, the yellow/orange cover was the Mono and the green was the Stereo! I think the mono Marvelettes Greatest Hits was the third album I ever bought, after "16 Big Hits Vol. 5" and then "Vandellas Greatest Hits." I obviously had great taste!

thommg
02-14-2015, 01:01 PM

I didn't start my Motown collecting until Christmas 1967 when my mother bought me the Four Tops Greatest Hits [[silver cover) instead of the Four Seasons record I asked for. She remembered there was a Four in the group name when she went to get the record! The best mistake my mother ever made. When I bought my Marvelettes Greatest Hits album it was only available with the green cover. I never knew about the mustard cover until much later. And that Marvelettes record was one of the most played in my house. I still love that lineup of songs.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-14-2015, 01:32 PM

I don't recall seeing the yellow cover in the stores. Maybe I did and thought the yellow was for stereo and the green for mono. I only had a mono record player not a stereo [[my parents had that) and stereo cost more which I couldn't afford if I wanted to buy lots and lots and lots of records.

Ironically it was on the back cover of this album where I first saw the picture of The Supremes' Symphony album. I didn't even know they had a new album and I was in record stores almost daily. I thought it strange that a Marvelettes album was advertising a Supremes album.

Both albums came out at the same time in February 1966. I think I got The Supremes album instead. I recall sneaking Symphony into the house because I was grounded, for one thing or another. So I think also buying The Marvelettes would have led to house-arrest.

I ended up buying The Marvelettes Greatest Hits later in the year when I joined the Columbia Record Club - so maybe by then only green was available. I also got the GH by Marvin, Martha and Mary at the same time so I think that was early summer of 1966. By then I had every Supremes album [[and LIVE albums from the Apollo and Paris) and all these Greatest Hits and there was no turning back! And then came A' Go-Go.
Johnjeb, you sound just like me. I, too, had to utilize all that I had in order to buy lots and lots of Motown. The back side of the mid-1960's album covers were a good source for advertising other new Motown albums, but the best source was the inner jacket sleeve which was pleasantly plastered on both sides, picturing all the latest album releases available on Motown, Gordy, Tamla, Soul, and an occasional V.I.P. release.

I gotta laugh! You, too, had to sneak your new Motown releases into the house! I thought I was the only one! Man, I was desperate for any and all new Motown releases. I used to secretly pocket my lunch money that my parents gave me in order to finance my Motown purchases. I even got caught once. I feared the worst, but, surprisingly, I didn't get punished. Instead, I got rewarded with an allowance like other kids got. Either way, it kept my Motown flowing!

Philles/Motown Gary
02-14-2015, 01:48 PM
I didn't start my Motown collecting until Christmas 1967 when my mother bought me the Four Tops Greatest Hits [[silver cover) instead of the Four Seasons record I asked for. She remembered there was a Four in the group name when she went to get the record! The best mistake my mother ever made. When I bought my Marvelettes Greatest Hits album it was only available with the green cover. I never knew about the mustard cover until much later. And that Marvelettes record was one of the most played in my house. I still love that lineup of songs.

Thommg, I guess you could say that your mom's gift-error cloud had a "silver" lining!

captainjames
02-14-2015, 09:35 PM
Loved everything about Vol # 3 except the cover. I remember it coming as a surprise on the rack and I scooped it up real quick.

honest man
02-15-2015, 09:31 AM
A much belated "by the way" - what we got in the UK [[volumes 1 and 2).

[[S)TML11063
Greatest Hits

A1 Stop! In The Name Of Love
A2 Nothing But Heartaches
A3 When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes
A4 My World Is Empty Without You
A5 Where Did Our Love Go
A6 Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
A7 Come See About Me
A8 I Hear A Symphony
B1 Reflections
B2 Back In My Arms Again
B3 You Keep Me Hangin' On
B4 Whisper You Love Me Boy
B5 The Happening
B6 Love Is Here And Now You're Gone
B7 You Can't Hurry Love
B8 Baby Love

STML11146
Greatest Hits Volume 2

A1 Someday We'll Be Together
A2 I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
A3 Love Child
A4 I Second That Emotion
A5 Some Things You Never Get Used To
A6 I'll Try Something New
A7 Honey Bee [[Keep On Stinging Me)
B1 Forever Came Today
B2 The Weight
B3 In And Out Of Love
B4 No Matter What Sign You Are
B5 Why [[Must We Fall In Love)
B6 The Composer
B7 I'm Livin' In Shame oh how the memories come back looking at those 2 album covers they were the first Motown albums i ever owned when i was 10 i had for Xmas went looking for them and ,i had played them when her and dad where out ,my Mum got onto it ,finger prints over them on Xmas day,wonderful memories of my lovely late Mum AND Dad,cheers.

kenneth
02-15-2015, 12:09 PM
oh how the memories come back looking at those 2 album covers they were the first Motown albums i ever owned when i was 10 i had for Xmas went looking for them and ,i had played them when her and dad where out ,my Mum got onto it ,finger prints over them on Xmas day,wonderful memories of my lovely late Mum AND Dad,cheers.

Honest Man, what great memories!

And what a much better lineup of songs than on the Volumes 1, "2', and 3, which we got in the US. This got me to thinking...why was it that many albums in the UK had 14 songs or even 15 while in the US they rarely if ever had more than 12? This used to anger me way back when. The most notorious example of this is the Beatles, whose UK albums were hacked up and reallocated in albums of 12, or sometimes even 10 or 11, songs, to make more product in the US.

But as a general question, why do you think UK albums usually had more songs? Do you think it's because the EP was popular in the UK, whereas in the US it never caught on? I'm thinking this could be the reason because a buyer in the US would only have to chose between a 2-sided 45 and a 12 song LP; there never was a 4- or 6-song EP to be considered except in the very, very early days, the late 50s or early 60s.

carole cucumber
02-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Honest Man, what great memories!

This got me to thinking...why was it that many albums in the UK had 14 songs or even 15 while in the US they rarely if ever had more than 12? .........

Wasn't it explained elsewhere on this forum that the major reason/issue was royalty payment structures which differed between countries? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

kenneth
02-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Wasn't it explained elsewhere on this forum that the major reason/issue was royalty payment structures which differed between countries? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

I'll try to find that forum...never saw that one.

florence
02-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Listed as selling 1,275,000 copies, Motown data, through 1988!

Yes but what is this "Motown data" - I've never hear of it before?

I'd love to know where this [[MD) comes from.

thommg
02-15-2015, 02:13 PM
Thommg, I guess you could say that your mom's gift-error cloud had a "silver" lining!

Motown Gary, you have no idea how often I thanked her for that "mistake"!

greg jones
02-15-2015, 02:42 PM

Royalty payment structure, i believe, was the main reason. Though another factor was the UK was not churning out nearly as many records as the US. When there is 7 or 8 songs per side rather than 6, the disc grooves are much more fragile and sometimes have less fidelity. When a lot of discs are being pressed there is much more chance of damage to the grooves before they hit the stores. US usually did not want to take chances with this. In the UK, they were pressing far fewer copies and could take more time and care with pressings to have fewer damaged discs. Many collectors today still prefer to get european pressings over US.

greg jones
los angeles,ca

honest man
02-15-2015, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=kenneth;271525]Honest Man, what great memories!
Thank You Kenneth,i wonder if they put more tracks on UK albums as to get people tuned into Motown we were behind in the sixties with this music maybe 68-71 it peaked in UK , it was catch up to previous releases in US,Just a thought.cheers

Philles/Motown Gary
02-15-2015, 04:54 PM
oh how the memories come back looking at those 2 album covers they were the first Motown albums i ever owned when i was 10 i had for Xmas went looking for them and ,i had played them when her and dad where out ,my Mum got onto it ,finger prints over them on Xmas day,wonderful memories of my lovely late Mum AND Dad,cheers.

Honest man, I'm sorry to hear that both of your parents have passed on. I'm sure they're in a better place now. Regarding your story, your mother got fingerprints all over your Motown "Supremes Greatest Hits" records? [[Cringe!) The Motown pressings that I grew up with [[thin vinyl, beautiful, super-shiny dark-blue map label) was subject to fingerprints like crazy. At times, it seemed that just looking at it cross-eyed would produce an unwanted, permanent smudge. Believe me when I say I feel for ya! What was there about our mothers and our precious music collections? Before I moved out of my parent’s home and into my first apartment, my mother was usually pretty good about not tampering with my records. [[Not being a Motown fan herself, she was usually too busy yelling at me to "Turn that thing DOWN or I’m pulling the PLUG"!) Well, one day, however, just before Christmas, I arrived home from work and discovered that my mother was listening to my non-Motown Christmas albums. Now, mind you, I had a stereo phonograph with an automatic changer, but I refrained from piling the discs up because, as each disc dropped onto the record below, it would skid upon contact with the disc under it, causing annoying little surface marks which drove me crazy, and it also changes the angle of the stylus as it improperly tracks the grooves of the top record being played. I don’t know what ever possessed my mother on that particular day, but it seems that she was in the mood to listen to Christmas music – a LOT of Christmas music – while she was doing her housework. Apparently not wanting to be interrupted by having to manually change records during her dusting and cleaning, I arrived home to discover that she had piled up eight [[yes, "8") vinyl record albums which had dropped onto each other. I got there in time to see top-record #8 playing. The end of the tone-arm with the cartridge and stylus should be angled downward onto the ONE record album being played, right? She had the records piled so high on the turntable that the cartridge and stylus were a good two inches higher than they should have been – angled upward, trying to track the grooves on the 8th record at the top of the turntable pile! I can laugh about it now, but I was not a happy camper upon discovering that she had pulled such a stunt [[bless her heart)!

captainjames
02-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Wasn't the cover of Vol # 3 taken from a pic from Funny Girl or from that photo session ?

marybrewster
02-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Does anyone recall what the "blue" GH package from 1967 cost, new?

jobeterob
02-16-2015, 12:24 PM
$5.99?? In Canada?

supremester
02-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Yes I do, as I struggled with the decision of Mono/Stereo
At Meier & Frank [[Now Macys)
Mono 3.79
Stereo 4.67

supremester
02-16-2015, 02:33 PM
Also: The "Sticker" was, in fact, originally, a sticker. Later, it was cheaper to just print it on the cover - ruining the look for a penny or two per.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-16-2015, 03:23 PM
Mono 3.79
Stereo 4.67
Supremester, I thought that by 1967, ALL Motown albums were released in Stereo only. If not, then The Supremes "Greatest Hits" must have been among THE very last to be released in Mono. [[I don’t remember having a choice for this title, as my copy was in Stereo.)

reese
02-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Supremester, I thought that by 1967, ALL Motown albums were released in Stereo only. If not, then The Supremes "Greatest Hits" must have been among THE very last to be released in Mono. [[I don’t remember having a choice for this title, as my copy was in Stereo.)

Motown was still releasing some mono albums at least through 1968. I have a mono copy of THE SUPREMES JOIN THE TEMPTS album from late '68, as well as some mono dj-promos of FUNNY GIRL and the Pips' FEELIN' BLUESY.

honest man
02-16-2015, 04:33 PM
Honest man, I'm sorry to hear that both of your parents have passed on. I'm sure they're in a better place now. Regarding your story, your mother got fingerprints all over your Motown "Supremes Greatest Hits" records? [[Cringe!) The Motown pressings that I grew up with [[thin vinyl, beautiful, super-shiny dark-blue map label) was subject to fingerprints like crazy. At times, it seemed that just looking at it cross-eyed would produce an unwanted, permanent smudge. Believe me when I say I feel for ya! What was there about our mothers and our precious music collections? Before I moved out of my parent’s home and into my first apartment, my mother was usually pretty good about not tampering with my records. [[Not being a Motown fan herself, she was usually too busy yelling at me to "Turn that thing DOWN or I’m pulling the PLUG"!) Well, one day, however, just before Christmas, I arrived home from work and discovered that my mother was listening to my non-Motown Christmas albums. Now, mind you, I had a stereo phonograph with an automatic changer, but I refrained from piling the discs up because, as each disc dropped onto the record below, it would skid upon contact with the disc under it, causing annoying little surface marks which drove me crazy, and it also changes the angle of the stylus as it improperly tracks the grooves of the top record being played. I don’t know what ever possessed my mother on that particular day, but it seems that she was in the mood to listen to Christmas music – a LOT of Christmas music – while she was doing her housework. Apparently not wanting to be interrupted by having to manually change records during her dusting and cleaning, I arrived home to discover that she had piled up eight [[yes, "8") vinyl record albums which had dropped onto each other. I got there in time to see top-record #8 playing. The end of the tone-arm with the cartridge and stylus should be angled downward onto the ONE record album being played, right? She had the records piled so high on the turntable that the cartridge and stylus were a good two inches higher than they should have been – angled upward, trying to track the grooves on the 8th record at the top of the turntable pile! I can laugh about it now, but I was not a happy camper upon discovering that she had pulled such a stunt [[bless her heart)! Thank You Gary,as much as i love the American Blue Motown label Albums nothing beats the lovely Black and Silver uk label with Tamla Motown logo in my opinion,cheers

kenneth
02-16-2015, 04:34 PM
Motown was still releasing some mono albums at least through 1968. I have a mono copy of THE SUPREMES JOIN THE TEMPTS album from late '68, as well as some mono dj-promos of FUNNY GIRL and the Pips' FEELIN' BLUESY.

I think '68 was the last year they produced the DJ-only LPs in Mono. I have the "Sophisticated Soul" LP in Mono [[which is also on the great Hip-O box set in both versions).

There was a thread where someone listed all the DJ-only Mono releases. I'm not positive, but I don't think anything from '69 was in the list.

Is it possible though that Mono was available in the UK later than it was in the US?

Philles/Motown Gary
02-16-2015, 06:34 PM
Thank You Gary,as much as i love the American Blue Motown label Albums nothing beats the lovely Black and Silver uk label with Tamla Motown logo in my opinion,cheers

Honest Man, I guess it's all a matter of what we're used to and what we grew up with.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-16-2015, 06:43 PM
That's news to me. I wonder if it was a regional thing, depending on where we lived? I always bought the Mono copies whenever possible. I remember it reached the point where I no longer had a choice. Motown Stereo became the new norm.

theboyfromxtown
02-16-2015, 07:58 PM
I think '68 was the last year they produced the DJ-only LPs in Mono. I have the "Sophisticated Soul" LP in Mono [[which is also on the great Hip-O box set in both versions).

There was a thread where someone listed all the DJ-only Mono releases. I'm not positive, but I don't think anything from '69 was in the list.

Is it possible though that Mono was available in the UK later than it was in the US?

Yes it was. As is always the case, America is always ahead of us Brits for anything new.

Some of our mono albums were actually stereo albums mono-ised. Having said that, the UK mono version of Love Child had some different things on it....I seem to recall having to find copies for my US penpals - and if you are old enough to know what a penpal is, you probably have that mono album!

carole cucumber
02-16-2015, 08:24 PM
....... Having said that, the UK mono version of Love Child had some different things on it....I seem to recall having to find copies for my US penpals - and if you are old enough to know what a penpal is, you probably have that mono album!

boyfromxtown,

Do you remember what was different as I've never heard the U.K. mono Love Child album

Philles/Motown Gary
02-17-2015, 02:02 AM
Thank You Gary,as much as i love the American Blue Motown label Albums nothing beats the lovely Black and Silver uk label with Tamla Motown logo in my opinion,cheers

Honest man, I forgot to specify that there were actually two versions of the 45 Motown-label releases, depending upon where your particular copy was pressed. I was saying that my favorite, and which I was most familiar with, was the thin vinyl with the DARK blue shiny map label as opposed to the thicker polystyrene version with a LIGHT blue, unshiny, raised paper label. Gordy was also a thin vinyl and DARK purple label versus the thicker polystyrene with a LIGHT rasberry label. The thin vinyl, DARK labels were what I grew up with and which I prefer. [[I didn't mean to imply that I was comparing our DARK blue U.S. Motown label versus your U.K. black/silver Tamla/Motown label. In fact, to my knowledge, I've never seen a Tamla/Motown label in person. I've seen photocopies which I thought were black/white labels. I had no idea they were actually black and silver.

mysterysinger
02-17-2015, 08:05 AM
I'll never forget how shocked I was to see Motown, Tamla, Gordy label singles in a shop window in Blackpool - they looked so alien and wrong when I was so familiar with UK TMGs. It was kinda like finding Santa didn't exist lol. Well I was quite young at the time.

marybrewster
02-17-2015, 10:32 AM
Mono 3.79
Stereo 4.67

Isn't that something? And to think you can probably pick one up TODAY off eBay for the same price! :)

Re: the portraits inside: was there any indication on the Lp [[sticker or otherwise) that these were included? Was everyone surprised to get them? I actually have a sealed copy, but there is nothing to elude they are included, and I don't want to open it, LOL. Of course, I have several opened copies, and do have my set framed, WITH the extra add-on piece. I don't recall what it says; perhaps detatch and display?

johnny_raven
02-17-2015, 10:46 AM
When I was in 8th grade [[Fall, 1980), I took an elective course called Rock & Roll History. Long story short ... We each had to do a paper on a certain R&R band or artist. Evidently, the teacher chose 10 artists and each student had to pick one on which to do their paper. I say evidently because I was sick the day everyone chose which artist to write about. When I got to school the next day, all of the artists had been chosen except for The Supremes. I knew nothing about them and I remember being really pissed that I had to research their music. I went down to Sound Odyssey and picked up a sealed original copy of the blue GH [[Yes, it did have a sticker on the front in regards to the portraits). That was my very first Supremes [[or Motown for that matter) album and the rest is history ...

Side note ... One day in class, a classmate asked if all of the Beatles were still alive. The class chuckled "Of course they are!!" ... John Lennon was killed that night. It still gives me goosebumps to this day nearly 35 years later.

johnny_raven
02-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Also, I had the portraits framed in metal frames [[one aqua, one rust and one lavender to coincide with the color of each portrait ... They're still hanging in my office!

reese
02-17-2015, 10:56 AM
Isn't that something? And to think you can probably pick one up TODAY off eBay for the same price! :)

Re: the portraits inside: was there any indication on the Lp [[sticker or otherwise) that these were included? Was everyone surprised to get them? I actually have a sealed copy, but there is nothing to elude they are included, and I don't want to open it, LOL. Of course, I have several opened copies, and do have my set framed, WITH the extra add-on piece. I don't recall what it says; perhaps detatch and display?

The copies that I've bought with portraits included had a gold banner on the right side saying that there were portraits inside. The banner itself was attached to the portraits.

Note: I first purchased this album sealed in the late 70s at a Strawberries record store, so I gather it was still in print at the time. I bought it for the sole purpose of getting the portraits. The copy that I bought had the gold banner and the portraits. But I also noticed sealed copies without the banner so I don't know if that meant they didn't include the portraits or that the banner just wasn't placed correctly.

captainjames
02-17-2015, 11:37 AM
You and your dad are right !!! It did very well in Ohio and got a lot of airplay. In fact if I remember correctly " The Young Folks" was listed in Jet in the top 20 that year.

According to my dad, The Young Folks single did very well in Youngstown, Ohio and northeastern Ohio. WHOT, the top AM Pop station in Y-town played it during the summer of 1969 and it began to take off in terms of local sales. But Motown eventually pulled back on promotion. However, if DRATS would have done a concert in Youngstown, they probably would have been asked to perform it because some people knew it.

johnny_raven
02-17-2015, 12:30 PM
That's right!! It was a gold banner attached to the portraits! Thx, Reese!