PDA

View Full Version : Susaye--I have some questions if you don't mind

test

BobC
01-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi Susaye--I hope you have time to answer some questions I have about your work with the Supremes [[none of this is chit-stirring crap). Thanks ahead of time! I'm a Motown fan who started listening to music in the 70's, not the 60's--and I wanted to start out by saying I thought your group was very cool as a kid and were right up there with Labelle. I was not a fan of most of the earlier 70's Supremes' music because it sounded "old" to me, but when High Energy and MSS came out, I became a fan. So anyway here are some questions:

1. Whose idea was it to work with the Hollands again? Were you for it or against it? Were you happy with the end results?

2. Did you record any songs you didn't particularly like [[if you could shoot one of the songs when it came through the door, which would it have been?)

3. Have you heard Scherrie's lead on High Energy [[the song) and whose idea was it to have you re-sing it?

4. In your opinion, what should have been the first single off MSS?

5. What is your favorite tune you recorded with the group?

6. If you could change one thing about your time in the Supremes, what would it be?

7. If I recall correctly, you sang on Songs in the Key of Life. Any favorite song on that? I like Summer Soft, Another Star, Joy Inside My Tears, As--well frankly the whole record was great.

8. Did you actually ever know Denice Williams before she recorded Free? Was that your first big hit?

9. In hindsight, do you wish you and Scherrie had recorded as solos and had your own albums.

10. Did you like Labelle? I loved them--still do.

Thanks! You're an angel.

thelastsupreme
01-07-2012, 05:47 PM
1. Whose idea was it to work with the Hollands again? Were you for it or against it? Were you happy with the end results?

I don’t know for sure, but I think I remember reading somewhere that it was suggested by Motown and Mary and Pedro agreed as a good idea. I’m glad in retrospect. It gave great continuity of the ending of the Supremes. They’re great writers and producers but I wish I had had time for them to get to know me better in the studio. It was all kind of awkward for everyone; someone new coming in who they really didn’t know what to do with, and doing leads and all. I remember them saying my voice was esoteric and artsy. I’m sure that meant not commercial sounding. LOL!
I was delighted to go in the studio with Berry to record “Let my Heart do the walking” . He made me feel like he was excited about my voice and was extremely encouraging to me.

2. Did you record any songs you didn't particularly like [[if you could shoot one of the songs when it came through the door, which would it have been?)

Yes, I did. They don’t allow me to shoot songs anymore. [[A lot of songs died that way.)

3. Have you heard Scherrie's lead on High Energy [[the song) and whose idea was it to have you re-sing it?

No I never have. I have no idea.

4. In your opinion, what should have been the first single off MSS?
No opinion

5. What is your favorite tune you recorded with the group?

Probably “We should be Closer together”, but I thought Scherrie should have sung some of the lines too. Sad we never performed it live, but, I'm over it.

6. If you could change one thing about your time in the Supremes, what would it be?
The ending. It sucked.

7. If I recall correctly, you sang on Songs in the Key of Life. Any favorite song on that? I like Summer Soft, Another Star, Joy Inside My Tears, As--well frankly the whole record was great.

No real fave, loved most of it. Joy Inside my tears of course was a very special moment in the studio for both of us. Steve was going through a lot of personal emotions at the time and it all translated beautifully.

8. Did you actually ever know Deneice Williams before she recorded Free? Was that your first big hit?
Of course; we were in Wonderlove together. Had a LOT of fun.
9. In hindsight, do you wish you and Scherrie had recorded as solos and had your own albums.
Meh!

10. Did you like Labelle? I loved them--still do.
I loved them too! They were fresh and hot. A great group and so timely!

Thanks! You're an angel.
I’m really not. but I do believe in being nice to people if they let me. Cheers! and thanks for asking.

markdtiller
01-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Hi Susaye
I have a question regarding your discography if you don't mind.
I have the leads you did with The Raletts [[You Have A way With Me, After Loving You) and New Birth [[Until It's Time For You To Go, I'd Spend My Whole life Loving You) but did you do backing on any other tracks?
P.S. Vocally I think MSS was the best Supremes combination.
Thanks!

REDHOT
01-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Hi Susaye,did anyone record The Farewell Show on video?[[dvd) if so,i would love to see it,The Mary,Scherrie and you Susaye,of Supremes i liked best.Now that's the group of Supremes that i would like to see do a reunion.[[smile)
and wih the release of The Supremes The Final Session,i'm a happy Supreme fan.
Please stay positive

BobC
01-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Hi Susaye!

Thanks for answering the questions. It's funny that you said "We Should be Closer Together" as perhaps your favorite. I lost all my vinyl lps in a flooded basement in the mid 80's when I was in college--but when everything started to go to CD's, that song, along with Sweet Dream Machine and Don't let My Teardrops Bother You were the songs that I recalled really being crazy about. DLMTDBY seems to be recognized as one of Mary and the group's amazing moments, but We Should be Closer never seems to get a shout out.

FYI--I agree with Rick that you were the voice that made the Supremes cool again for people my age who didn't really know the original group. Come Into My Life [[I read somewhere you didn't like it much) kicks major azz in my book. How many singers can merge his or her voice to a synthesizer? Maybe you and Sarah Dash--and a few others.

I didn't mean to stir up any crap by asking if you thought you and Scherrie should have recorded as solos--I was just asking because maybe it would have been easier to promote a solo record. It did seem like you two wrote very different types of songs. I know you would never dog Scherrie because no sane person would say she wasn't a gifted singer. Especially a woman who worked with her.+

marv2
01-07-2012, 10:32 PM
I received the album "Mary, Scherrie & Susaye" as a Christmas gift in 1976. I remember thinking the song “We should be Closer together” was the best song the Supremes ever recorded! It should have been released as a single. Ironically a year later, the Emotions had a hit with a similar song "Don't Ask My Neighbors" which I also liked, but it was very frustrating knowing that the Supremes had recorded an even better song just a year earlier.

luke
01-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Very haunting song. Love interplay of Susaye and Mary's voices.

kenneth
01-08-2012, 12:24 AM
My all time favorite Susaye tracks are "High Energy" and "Come Into My Life," which the lady so graciously corrected me earlier on the SDF when I assumed it was Mary and Scherrie on leads! Instead of "The Last Supreme," she should be "The Class Supreme."

marv2
01-08-2012, 03:11 AM
Very haunting song. Love interplay of Susaye and Mary's voices.

I have referred to "We Should Be Closer Together" as "The Supremes Sing the Blues"! That whole song was a masterpiece with the almost eery sounding keyboard and Mary and Susaye countering each other with those gorgeous lyrics and notes. That was the only Supremes record that I can honestly say could give you chills! It should be in every serious music collectors collection!

Marv

redlabs
01-08-2012, 09:09 AM
loved the MSS album. great vocals. always thought they were on the edge of a major comeback,but i remember being really amazed that this album wasnt a big hit. not sure what the sales were for this album but it still kicks after all these years. would love a remix of LET YOURSELF GO one day.
thanks Susaye, u brought such class to the supremes. i regret that you were only in the group for a short period of time but i feel you also brought a breath of fresh air to the group. thanks

sup_fan
01-08-2012, 09:49 AM
thanks for chiming in here Susaye - always a pleasure having you participate in the dialogs and share your experiences. Love ya!

milven
01-08-2012, 12:06 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjrqpp_the-supremes-we-should-be-closer-together_music

ralpht
01-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Susaye,
Thank you for your generous time given to this forum. It speaks volumes as to the true professional that you are. Much love, baby girl, much love.

sup_fan
01-09-2012, 01:29 PM
susaye - you mention that the decision to work with the hollands was pretty much already decided by the time you arrived. after High Energy lp was released and everyone started working on the next lp, what did you guys do with the planning process? did the hollands pretty much bring the 8 songs that they wanted you girls to perform or were you guys involved in the selection process? did they talk with you guys to get ideas for lyrics and tone?

marv2
01-11-2012, 02:05 AM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjrqpp_the-supremes-we-should-be-closer-together_music

That's it! Thank you Milven