PDA

View Full Version : Martha Reeves: Did she ever sound like she did on 'Heatwave' after 1970?

test

dzMusica
01-06-2012, 12:31 AM
She has definitely lost that voice but it seems to have been quite early on. Sometimes I hear her 'hit sound' on different songs and I say to myself , Was that her singing?

dzMusica

smark21
01-06-2012, 08:41 AM
There have been instances where Shantal Baker seems to have influenced Martha's post Motown singing style.

motown_david
01-06-2012, 09:33 AM
In a word - no.

marybrewster
01-06-2012, 09:41 AM
I am shocked to find there isn't a "What records did Martha Reeves instead of the Andantes sing on" thread yet. Because it's well known that the voice of Martha Reeves is really the voice of Marlene Barrow.

RossHolloway
01-06-2012, 10:26 AM
She has definitely lost that voice but it seems to have been quite early on. Sometimes I hear her 'hit sound' on different songs and I say to myself , Was that her singing?

dzMusica

I think it could be a combination of factors with Martha Reeves. I also think that certain singers are better at singing certain types of songs. I love the way that Martha handled songs like Heatwave and Nowhere to Run more so than some of her later recordings or even slow songs. And isn't it also natural for a lot of singers voice [[but not all) to change over time because of things like age, how often they perform or if they are a smoker. And I think Martha was/is a smoker. I also think that it's important to keep in mind that most of her most popular material is now approaching 50 years old.

luke
01-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Yes Mary the floodgates have opened and we must brace ourselves now for the truths that will be revealed!! I saw Martha and Lois and Delphine in 2007 and Martha did not yodel at all--she was great!

dzMusica
01-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Yes Mary the floodgates have opened and we must brace ourselves now for the truths that will be revealed!! I saw Martha and Lois and Delphine in 2007 and Martha did not yodel at all--she was great!

Oh Please! Stop being nice.

dzMusica
01-06-2012, 10:42 AM
I am shocked to find there isn't a "What records did Martha Reeves instead of the Andantes sing on" thread yet. Because it's well known that the voice of Martha Reeves is really the voice of Marlene Barrow.

What evidence you got? What song and what part in the song?

dzMusica
01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I think it could be a combination of factors with Martha Reeves. I also think that certain singers are better at singing certain types of songs. I love the way that Martha handled songs like Heatwave and Nowhere to Run more so than some of her later recordings or even slow songs. And isn't it also natural for a lot of singers voice [[but not all) to change over time because of things like age, how often they perform or if they are a smoker. And I think Martha was/is a smoker. I also think that it's important to keep in mind that most of her most popular material is now approaching 50 years old.

Yeah, but Gladys Knight still a fantastic singer. Martha lost hers and wasn't even 30.

dzMusica
01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
What's ironic is that in '66 a friend told her she'd lose her voice in 10 years if she kept singing the way she did in live performances. She should have listened because by 1976 that voice was gone. It was no longer a powerhouse voice.

skooldem1
01-06-2012, 10:55 AM
I have seen Martha in concert [[great performer) but her voice is bad. I don't believe anyone who says that they have seen her recently and she sounded wonderful. In her youth her songs sounded great because of the youthful energy, writers, producers, musicans. It was the "songs" and not her so much. She is someone who excels at only singing certain types of music/songs. She was probally one of those singers that sound great on record, or in the studio, but live, not so much. She was never really a great singer, but sang on some great songs.

motony
01-06-2012, 11:05 AM
in the 60's Martha Reeves was one of the GREATEST singers.It was NOT the songs ect.Saw her in person several times and next to Mary Wells no one comes close except Dee Dee Sharp.

skooldem1
01-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Its the writers, producers, and the funks.

dzMusica
01-06-2012, 11:15 AM
I have seen Martha in concert [[great performer) but her voice is bad. I don't believe anyone who says that they have seen her recently and she sounded wonderful. In her youth her songs sounded great because of the youthful energy, writers, producers, musicans. It was the "songs" and not her so much. She is someone who excels at only singing certain types of music/songs. She was probally one of those singers that sound great on record, or in the studio, but live, not so much. She was never really a great singer, but sang on some great songs.

That's something to chew on. I thought the same thing until listened to her songs again. They are all sung differently showing the versatility in her voice. But Love makes me do foolish things is her best track. Can't nobody say 'Funny' like she did. She cuts it with a knife. Sometimes they had her singing higher than she actually could like on 'Quicksand'. Poor thing just makes it on that song, you can hear her voice strain quite a bit.

bankhousedave
01-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Yep. Martha was a great singer, with a unique style and delivery. Like Luke, I have seen her live in recent years when she didn't do that yodelling thing - once in Cheltenham and once at Wembley. She also didn't do it to excess in Berlin. Don't take this as gospel, as it's just something I picked up here and there, but I heard Martha was not happy about not being able to reach a top range, and really believed her singing was extended by being able to hit those high notes later in her career. Sources close to the diva told me 'she doesn't have to sing like that', and I have seen signs that this is true.

I loved her voice better than any of the other group members back in the day, not only on belters like Nowhere to run, but that great old-fahiomned way she had with ballads. Listen to Girl, You've Been In Love Too Long, I'm Ready For Love, Third Finger, Left Hand, No More Tearstained Make-up. She was one great singer and Mickey recognised her as such, which is why he invited her to Motown.

skooldem1
01-06-2012, 11:26 AM
I can't imagine that Martha, or anyone in their right mind would convince themselves that the way she sings sounds good. Love her as an entertainer, but I have seen her live and I know how she sounds.

marybrewster
01-06-2012, 02:58 PM

Can I get an "amen" for some truth up in here?

I saw Martha, Lois and Delphine in 2008 or 2009 [[along with Dennis Edwards and his Temptations) and I thought Martha was outstanding. It's true, so does not sound the same as she did on her "records", but honey, those 45's were mastered and remastered. Does Cher's voice REALLY sound like it does on "Believe"? LOL.

There isn't ONE performer from Martha's era that sounds the same today as they did 50 years ago.

Next.

motony
01-06-2012, 03:05 PM
what great songs or great selling records did those writers & producers have outside of Motown?What great records did the funk bros. as a group play on?HDH had sporadic success with Invictus Hot Wax. Mickey Stevenson & Clarence Paul didn't find success at MGM. William Witherspoon sporatic at Hot Wax. The artists at Motown SOLD those records to radio & to the public, they also did a lot of adlibbing on the last 20-30 seconds of the released hits which was a big part of the hit-making process.In the 60's to mid 70's, it would be a combo of the right artists, producer, writer but in the end it was the artists that sold it to the public.

144man
01-06-2012, 06:31 PM
I can't imagine that Martha, or anyone in their right mind would convince themselves that the way she sings sounds good. Love her as an entertainer, but I have seen her live and I know how she sounds.

Blame Richard Perry. Martha is on record as saying that she loved the new voice he had given her [Try "My Man [[You Changed My Tune)" where she hits notes she'd never attempted before]; whereas I much preferred her old voice.

marv2
01-06-2012, 06:37 PM

dzMusica

I don't know, but I think Martha sounded her absolute best during the mid to late 70's.

marv2
01-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Blame Richard Perry. Martha is on record as saying that she loved the new voice he had given her [Try "My Man [[You Changed My Tune)" where she hits notes she'd never attempted before]; whereas I much preferred her old voice.

I liked how she sang most during that period also.

dzMusica
01-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Can I get an "amen" for some truth up in here?

I saw Martha, Lois and Delphine in 2008 or 2009 [[along with Dennis Edwards and his Temptations) and I thought Martha was outstanding. It's true, so does not sound the same as she did on her "records", but honey, those 45's were mastered and remastered. Does Cher's voice REALLY sound like it does on "Believe"? LOL.

There isn't ONE performer from Martha's era that sounds the same today as they did 50 years ago.

Next.

Amen is not for secular singers. Anyways, at least now Diana Ross can sing just as good if not better than Martha. LOL

dzMusica
01-06-2012, 07:54 PM
what great songs or great selling records did those writers & producers have outside of Motown?What great records did the funk bros. as a group play on?HDH had sporadic success with Invictus Hot Wax. Mickey Stevenson & Clarence Paul didn't find success at MGM. William Witherspoon sporatic at Hot Wax. The artists at Motown SOLD those records to radio & to the public, they also did a lot of adlibbing on the last 20-30 seconds of the released hits which was a big part of the hit-making process.In the 60's to mid 70's, it would be a combo of the right artists, producer, writer but in the end it was the artists that sold it to the public.

Yeah but most of the Artists didn't havesucess outside of Motown either. You talk about HDH but once they left everybody went down they produced: the Supremes etc. Martha went down when her man Micky left. He was the sole reason she was there anyways and would keep her career afloat being their at every major turn including it's downfall.

luke
01-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Bankhouse is correct. Martha goes for those high notes. In NYC she sang the songs straight and was excellent.

marybrewster
01-06-2012, 09:35 PM
First it's 1970, now it's 1976? Do I hear a 1982? Can I get a 1987 up in here?

marv2
01-06-2012, 09:57 PM
First it's 1970, now it's 1976? Do I hear a 1982? Can I get a 1987 up in here?

No! It was always "After 1970" at least that is what the author of this thread was asking about,..,...

jillfoster
01-06-2012, 10:33 PM
I agree Marv, I loved her in the 70's. It's always Ross fans that dogg her singing, you know this. But who couldn't love this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUEzyyljUEw

marv2
01-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Right on Jill! Now that's what I'm talking about! Great clip and Martha sounds excellent. Now check this one out, also from 1976 where she does the 60's hits. She sounds so smooth, bluesy and just superb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1yLd9FvxYY

huntergettingcaptured
01-06-2012, 10:46 PM

dzMusica

dzMusica

I think I know what you're talking about because I had noticed a difference in Martha's voice starting as early as maybe '67 or so. Listening to the album "Watchout!" and "Ridin' High" there is a subtle difference. It isn't the songs, it isn't the producers. Her voice was a bit more refined, carmel-smooth. On the earlier material like "Heatwave", "Live Wire", "I'm Ready For Love" and "Jimmy Mack", Martha had a bit more grit in the vocals, she was a bit more of a "belter" along the lines of Etta James. On the ballads, though, the vocals were smoother of course, but there was still a kind of a "sweet rawness" in the sound.

That raw sound was still there on "Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone" and "Honey Child". But if you listen to many of the songs on the "Riding High" album, the voice was taking on more of a very refined, deliberate sound. "To Sir With Love" and "Always Something There To Remind Me" are two good examples. The vocals have lost some of the youthful rawness and taken on a more studied, mature sound. Even on the uptempo songs, Martha's delivery isn't as direct as on something like "Quicksand".

I think every singer's voice takes on some differences as they mature and learn more about the craft of singing, but somehow with Martha Reeves, the changes seem a bit more out front. By the time of the album "Natural Resources" I can really hear what I think you're talking about. After that, I don't think the early 60's sound was there at all.

I remember wondering if Martha started doing what many singers will do after some time- they learn to sing more "correctly", from the diaphragm and that sort of thing as opposed to just letting it fly.

dzMusica
01-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Right on Jill! Now that's what I'm talking about! Great clip and Martha sounds excellent. Now check this one out, also from 1976 where she does the 60's hits. She sounds so smooth, bluesy and just superb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1yLd9FvxYY

High! She looks High and sounds High. She sounds like drag drag drag I wanna go to sleep.

marv2
01-06-2012, 11:40 PM
High! She looks High and sounds High. She sounds like drag drag drag I wanna go to sleep.

She looks great, she looks sexy! She sounded great as well and the audience loved it!

dzMusica
01-06-2012, 11:40 PM
p
dzMusica

I think I know what you're talking about because I had noticed a difference in Martha's voice starting as early as maybe '67 or so. Listening to the album "Watchout!" and "Ridin' High" there is a subtle difference. It isn't the songs, it isn't the producers. Her voice was a bit more refined, carmel-smooth. On the earlier material like "Heatwave", "Live Wire", "I'm Ready For Love" and "Jimmy Mack", Martha had a bit more grit in the vocals, she was a bit more of a "belter" along the lines of Etta James. On the ballads, though, the vocals were smoother of course, but there was still a kind of a "sweet rawness" in the sound.

That raw sound was still there on "Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone" and "Honey Child". But if you listen to many of the songs on the "Riding High" album, the voice was taking on more of a very refined, deliberate sound. "To Sir With Love" and "Always Something There To Remind Me" are two good examples. The vocals have lost some of the youthful rawness and taken on a more studied, mature sound. Even on the uptempo songs, Martha's delivery isn't as direct as on something like "Quicksand".

I think every singer's voice takes on some differences as they mature and learn more about the craft of singing, but somehow with Martha Reeves, the changes seem a bit more out front. By the time of the album "Natural Resources" I can really hear what I think you're talking about. After that, I don't think the early 60's sound was there at all.

I remember wondering if Martha started doing what many singers will do after some time- they learn to sing more "correctly", from the diaphragm and that sort of thing as opposed to just letting it fly.

Pretty much, that's what I'm saying in a nutshell. I'm not saying she didn't have a voice after 1970 just that it went from being soulful and unique to being a basic r&b voice.

dzMusica
01-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Jillfoster

I'm not a Diana Ross fan. In fact, I think Martha was the best singer Motown had and think her group was the best of all of them. But drugs will change a persons voice.

motony
01-07-2012, 12:00 AM
heavy ciggarette smoking does not help a voice & then working in those smokey bars night after night when you HAVE to work to pay the bills doesn't help.

Sotosound
01-07-2012, 07:21 AM
There is a lot of edge in the vocals on Martha’s 60s recordings, but I suspect that a lot of it was added during mixing and mastering so that her vocals would stand out on AM radio. To my ears, her real voice is buried under piles of EQ.

That effect is audible on “Bless You”, from 1971, especially where she sings “I’ve got you and baby you’ve got me.” That line sounds classic mid-60s Martha.

bankhousedave
01-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Martha was singing Bach when Mickey found her, so I'm guessing she could do smooth when it was called for. When people talk about the efects that were added to songs like that hideous Cher thing, they are talking about another time and place. They mixed things up and down at Motown, and they added some echo here and there, but the voice yhou heard was the voice they got back then. That's why they used people who could deliver. Now they photoshop the face, modify the voice, force the whole thing into tune and wind up with mush. Martha could sing forreal. Listen to the Motortown Revue in Paris, or the Dusty special. Martha - and the original Vandellas are standouts, even in that great company.

dzMusica
01-07-2012, 09:28 AM
She looks great, she looks sexy! She sounded great as well and the audience loved it!

You can still sleep with her if that's what you'd like.

Sotosound
01-07-2012, 09:55 AM
I have a fondness for "No-one There". This is Martha in a more soulful but mellow mood. When she sings an octave higher at the end it doesn't work quite as well but, overall, it's a great track, with Martha just singing her heart out and nothing added nor taken away from her vocals.

bankhousedave
01-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Yeah, she sounds more like Tina Turner on that, Soto. Real attitude and edge.

smark21
01-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Amen is not for secular singers. Anyways, at least now Diana Ross can sing just as good if not better than Martha. LOL

I'm glad you're standing up for the Lord and God's music.

mysterysinger
01-07-2012, 03:28 PM
dz is absolutely right to say that Martha's voice changed. To my thinking it became more of a gospel warble - emphasised by her use of a tambourine when you see her live. Whatever it was that changed it, it wasn't for the better but that's not to say she hasn't had some great moments since. God bless Martha.

motony
01-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Martha Reeves is an Icon.One of the BEST entertainers from the Golden Age of Rock & Soul.

BigAl
01-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Martha once told me that the change in her voice came about concurrently with a spiritual rebirth. She had hit a very low point in her life, then experienced an epiphany, and became born-again. When that happened she said she suddenly discovered an extra octave at her voice's top end and felt it must have been a gift coming along with that rebirth, with the letting-go. She said the high notes suddenly began being "pulled" from her rather than her having to "push" them out. Listening critically to her early '70s "before and after" recordings, you can hear quite plainly what she was referring to — that she no longer was "straining" at the high notes. It sounds as though she must have started singing from her diaphragm rather than simply tightening her vocal cords to push out the top notes, or something like that. Whatever the cause, she was very happy, suddenly being able to slide up and down the scales, and liked to show off that ability. Although a great many of her fans weren't too pleased with the "new" voice, Martha is, and always has been, her own woman and is going to do things her way. I actually like both of these singing styles of hers, different though they might be. When she's not busy trilling up and down she still sounds like the "old" Martha to me, but apparently it's difficult for her to rein in that multi-octave warbling once she gets started. One of her more severe critics once said, rather uncharitably, that it sounds more like a child's slide whistle!

Sugarchilehoneybaby
01-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I agree Marv, I loved her in the 70's. It's always Ross fans that dogg her singing, you know this. But who couldn't love this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUEzyyljUEw

This is simply not good. Sorry about it.

dzMusica
01-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Martha once told me that the change in her voice came about concurrently with a spiritual rebirth. She had hit a very low point in her life, then experienced an epiphany, and became born-again. When that happened she said she suddenly discovered an extra octave at her voice's top end and felt it must have been a gift coming along with that rebirth, with the letting-go. She said the high notes suddenly began being "pulled" from her rather than her having to "push" them out. Listening critically to her early '70s "before and after" recordings, you can hear quite plainly what she was referring to — that she no longer was "straining" at the high notes. It sounds as though she must have started singing from her diaphragm rather than simply tightening her vocal cords to push out the top notes, or something like that. Whatever the cause, she was very happy, suddenly being able to slide up and down the scales, and liked to show off that ability. Although a great many of her fans weren't too pleased with the "new" voice, Martha is, and always has been, her own woman and is going to do things her way. I actually like both of these singing styles of hers, different though they might be. When she's not busy trilling up and down she still sounds like the "old" Martha to me, but apparently it's difficult for her to rein in that multi-octave warbling once she gets started. One of her more severe critics once said, rather uncharitably, that it sounds more like a child's slide whistle!

This is what I can tell you! Jesus said you will know my disciples by the fruit they bear. You will also see a change 'for the Lord' in their life. Martha is still singing 'Dancing in the Street' at 70 and just recorded a track with a band called 'The Crystal Method'. Need I say more.

jobeterob
01-08-2012, 12:09 AM
In her heyday, Martha Reeves was awesome. Dancing in the Street has worn on me but Nowhere to Run, Heat Wave, I'm Ready For Love, Love Bug, My Baby Loves Me and many more are part of Motown music history and are great songs.

I don't know what Martha did, if anything, regarding drugs or cigarette smoking but somebody made a huge mistake when she was put on that Motown Superbowl show around 1996 or 1997. By then, she either had lost the kind of voice she once had or she was presented in dreadful surroundings that showed her off very poorly.

That show, to so many people, damaged her and left a wake she hasn't really recovered from. They should not have done that to her or she should not have done that to herself.

scanspeak
01-08-2012, 06:52 AM
I'm a big Martha fan but I find her "yodelling" sound off-putting.

Compare these 2 versions of Nowhere to Run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbBcL0ztBww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kXy664ys4o

dzMusica
01-08-2012, 12:00 PM
There is more to her 'mentally' than meets the eye. She was known to have mental issues in the past. What do you think about someone who is having trouble singing performing extensively? When people have problems sometimes they are in denial and it's hard to get through to them.

marv2
01-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Martha Reeves mental illness is more severe than people know. No one is going to perform extensively like she does and can't sing unless they are mentally unstable. Also, if they tell her not to perform she just gets mad and angry; she's in denial. Most people who know her, including her former colleagues, know that if she were to just stay home she'd just waste away.

That is FOUL! You just wait just a minute! Now I understand why you started this thread. To slander Martha Reeves via this forum. How do you think you're going to get away sitting up here in this public forum and declaring [[DOCTOR) that Martha Reeves is mentally ill and to say such like it is common knowledge or something. You are out of line and Ralph should see this one! Whew! If you don't like her voice, the way she sings etc, say it once and then move on. Don't sit up in here and make up lies about Martha in an attempt to damage her character.

Martha Reeves is not responsible for booking herself and paying her own contract fees to perform! Are those tour promoters and booking agents that continually book her for gigs mentally ill? No, of course not! You disgust me by your comments!

jillfoster
01-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Vocal wise... I think both versions sound just fine. The main difference in the seoncd version is that she's singing a tiny bit behind the beat, instead of right on top of it.

bankhousedave
01-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Laughing Eagle is on the warpath, Marv.

jillfoster
01-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Martha Reeves mental illness is more severe than people know. No one is going to perform extensively like she does and can't sing unless they are mentally unstable. Also, if they tell her not to perform she just gets mad and angry; she's in denial. Most people who know her, including her former colleagues, know that if she were to just stay home she'd just waste away.

You are so full o shit your eyes are brown. First of all, if her voice were gone, those guys in Crystal Method would not have chosen her to sing with them. and second of all, you got some nerve calling someone mentally ill. Unlike YOU I actually do know her, and can tell you unequivocally that Martha is a completely normal and sane person and a great lady to know and talk to. Any clips of live concert performances on youtube, you see poeple yelling for her, applauding, dancing, and that's all anybody needs to know that people enjoy her. Period.

marv2
01-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Laughing Eagle is on the warpath, Marv.

Dave, I am not quite sure what you mean, but this guy DzMusica is wrong! He may not like or respect Martha Reeves for whatever reason, but to come onto this forum and declare that she is severely mentally ill is just too much for me. I don't know as much about Detroit City politics anymore, but I hardly think that they would elected a clearly mentally ill person to the City Council. He is out of line.

ralpht
01-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Dz,
I want you to tone down your opinions that don't seem to be based on anything close to the facts. Do you hang with Martha? Have you had dinner with her recently? Cool it girl, you're gettiing on my bad side.

marv2
01-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Dz,
I want you to tone down your opinions that don't seem to be based on anything close to the facts. Do you hang with Martha? Have you had dinner with her recently? Cool it girl, you're gettiing on my bad side.

Thank you Ralph.

bankhousedave
01-08-2012, 12:48 PM
I agree wih you, Marv. Laughing Eagle is the chief of this forum, and he has spoken.

marv2
01-08-2012, 12:51 PM
I agree wih you, Marv. Laughing Eagle is the chief of this forum, and he has spoken.

Thank you Dave.

ralpht
01-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Marv,
To clarify: Dave refers to me as Laughing Eagle from time to time. A name given to me by the Native American band, Xit, when I was producing them.

marv2
01-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Marv,
To clarify: Dave refers to me as Laughing Eagle from time to time. A name given to me by the Native American band, Xit, when I was producing them.

I never knew that! hehehehehe! That is great, although you are Fearless Leader for most us. I remember the band Xit by the way.

ralpht
01-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Marv,
The band explained to me, at the time, that any name with the word Eagle in it was the highest form of respect one could give to someone. I always appreciated that, even though it never quite totally translated to this white man's life. These days, Laughing Buzzard might serve me a little better.

bankhousedave
01-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Long as you're still laughing when you walk with the ancestors, Ralph.

ralpht
01-08-2012, 02:04 PM
In my increasingly vacuous mind, I'll pretty much laugh at anything these days, Dave.

bankhousedave
01-08-2012, 02:19 PM
There's a lot to laugh at, Ralph. And vacuous is good. Most of the trouble we ever got into had to do with thinking. Thinking and women, anyway. Well, thinking, women and beer. All right, thinking, women, beer and music. Something has to go.

dzMusica
01-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Hey Peps! Well severe was the wrong word. I switched the post. I'm not saying it to bash her. This is what i'm saying. It's sort of like Whitney Houston. It's sad to see her perform and her voice just isn't there anymore. I feel embarassed when I watch the both of them. I feel bad; it's hard to watch. People go and see these people out of respect. And that is absolutely a great thing to do. It's just sad is all i'm saying. I understand that you all know her and respect her. That's good. Like I said before, Martha was the best [[female) singer they had at Motown. She could have gone way futher and sold way more records. Her 30's should have been her best time but Motown had other plans. She had it all voice, beauty, class, and moves. She was the hidden gem at Motown. She was the sleeping giant.

ralpht
01-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Harry Balk called me into his office one day. He asked if I would be interested in reviving Martha's career. Naturally, I jumped at the opportunity. I had one meeting with Martha and that is as far as things went. Shortly therafter, Motown moved west and I would soon leave the company.I've wondered about that deal for years. I had some ideas I thought were quite good that I wanted to try. Life moved on.

ralpht
01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Dz,
Thank you for tempering your comments. And I agree with you. Martha WAS a sleeping giant at Motown.

smark21
01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
This is what I can tell you! Jesus said you will know my disciples by the fruit they bear. You will also see a change 'for the Lord' in their life. Martha is still singing 'Dancing in the Street' at 70 and just recorded a track with a band called 'The Crystal Method'. Need I say more.

You seem very self righteous and judgemental. Are you Rick Santorum?

dzMusica
01-08-2012, 03:26 PM
You seem very self righteous and judgemental. Are you Rick Santorum?

Aren't almost all of the threads and posts judgemental and self-righteous? You can say that about all of the threads and posts. Some of ya'll have a tendency to worship Martha. Jesus Christ is Lord over my Life!

ralpht
01-08-2012, 04:56 PM
And with that, we can get back on topic.

ralpht
01-08-2012, 04:58 PM
There's a lot to laugh at, Ralph. And vacuous is good. Most of the trouble we ever got into had to do with thinking. Thinking and women, anyway. Well, thinking, women and beer. All right, thinking, women, beer and music. Something has to go.

Beer, Dave? Oh no...Not the Staff of Life...

jobeterob
01-09-2012, 02:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JcJfTmQke4&feature=related

captainjames
01-09-2012, 01:15 PM
I saw Martha last year at the Schuster Center in Ohio last year and it was unbearable. I knew what Martha's voice had become but I went out of Love and respect for one of Motown's Leading ladies.

thisoldheart
01-09-2012, 01:48 PM
saw her twice in the mid 70's. once billed as martha & the vandellas, and once at a private club new years eve party in an old ballroom. she had a boom box with her music on it. two drag queens lip synched behind her. her voice was in good form and she gave a short but fine performance considering the indignity of the situation. people were there to party, and many did not know who she was! after her show she wandered aimlessly. i introduced myself. we sat while others rang in the new year. she was so very pleasant, and we spent quite a long time talking. i'm sure the whole gig must have been an embarrassment for her, but she was amazingly sweet. i will never forget that evening, and the rough world show biz can be when your not riding at the top of the charts! she was quite a lady!

jobeterob
01-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Love to hear your story old heart; Martha Reeves is a survivor and she must have loved to have you there that night.

jillfoster
01-09-2012, 02:13 PM
How come nobody level these same complaints at this woman? And obviously somebody liked her, since this was at the height of her popularity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaD4mgpQwOM&feature=related

thisoldheart
01-09-2012, 02:47 PM
How come nobody level these same complaints at this woman? And obviously somebody liked her, since this was at the height of her popularity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaD4mgpQwOM&feature=relatedgood question. but this was the only voice that i associated with esther phillips. when this came out i was unfamiliar with her earlier work and this sounded so fine!

jobeterob
01-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Motown stars attract more comment from the fans; and the bigger the star was perceived to be, the more the chance of complaints.

And we can get old; they can't.

RossHolloway
01-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Harry Balk called me into his office one day. He asked if I would be interested in reviving Martha's career. Naturally, I jumped at the opportunity. I had one meeting with Martha and that is as far as things went. Shortly therafter, Motown moved west and I would soon leave the company.I've wondered about that deal for years. I had some ideas I thought were quite good that I wanted to try. Life moved on.

Can you give us some insight about what your plans were to "revive" Martha's career and what your meeting with Martha was like? Was it to launch Martha's solo career or pushing her and the Vandellas back into the spotlight?

ralpht
01-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Ross,
I'm not exactly sure where Harry wanted me to take it. At the time I was thinking more of Martha as a solo artist, although it would have been entirely possible to bring the rest of the girls in for back-up. I only had one meeting with Martha, and that was in Motown's 7th floor lunchroom/lounge. I don't remember what we talked about. In all honesty, I was more than likely, somewhat unsettled. This was MARTHA REEVES and I was just an up and coming newby producer for Motown.

My plan: What I first wanted to do was a cover of Led Zepplin's "Whole Lotta Love" The arrangement would have been the key here, subsituting much of Jimmy Page's brilliant guitar work with the Detroit Symphony strings. Kind of hard to explain, but I hear it in my head. Martha would have sung the hell out of that song. But, as I mentioned earlier, nothing ever transpired. The move west was imminent and big changes were on the horizon.

RossHolloway
01-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Ralpht- Thanks for the response. So I take it this was sometime around 1971-72? And I would have loved to hear Martha's take on Whole Lotta Love done Detroit style...so what was the state of Martha's career and relationship with Motown at this time? I've read that Martha had no idea that Motown was moving out West when she learned that the Detroit office had closed.

1382hitsville
01-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Yes, her voice changed. I can listnen to this anytime. Great production, great soulful delivery:

http://soundcloud.com/the-crystal-method/the-crystal-method-ft-martha

robbert
01-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Thank you, jobeterob. Unbearable, indeed.

ralpht
01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Ross,
I'm not entirely certain of the years. Maybe more like 1973. Martha never knew of my plans for that song. I didn't have plans for the song until after that first meeting. I was thinking of the way Martha was able to do certain things with her voice that I always liked and would have been perfect for a sort of Rock/R&B arrangement I had in mind.

I think,at that time, that Martha was being treated as sort of a stepchild. She came out of the 60s and now the 70s were more of the focus with what the Tempts, Tops, Stevie and others were putting out. Martha wasn't fitting well then. Boy, would I like to have that opportunity back.....

Sugarchilehoneybaby
01-10-2012, 04:23 AM
Esther Phillips = LOL!

jack020
01-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Just watched the VH 1 Divas Celebrate Soul 2011 Special: it sounded like Martha had trouble breathing while singing.
BTW: Chaka needed a lot of help from Mary J Blige in her duet, and sounded like a singer who is long past her prime.

randy_russi
01-10-2012, 09:14 AM
In about 1986 Martha was hired to redo "Heat Wave" for an auto commercial [[they also had Ronnie Spector redo "Be
My Baby") and it was for the most part a straight out copy of the original record and she sounded the same as
the record. They had others from the 60s do their biggest hits as well. I can't remember which auto manufacturer,
but the recordings were done as much like the original records as they could possibly get.

westgrandboulevard
01-10-2012, 10:49 AM
randy

I've not heard that auto commercial but, do you remember,a couple of years on from that, when Martha redid "Heat Wave" for Ian Levine, for his MotorCity project.

There are at least two versions. What I imagine would have been the first recording had Martha singing over a basic track that seemed to include at least some real instruments, but the more widely available version has more of the computerised Motorcity sound.

Both versions had, I believe, the same vocal....which I still feel is pretty good. Martha surges through it [[backed, I believe, by the Louvain/Marlene/ Jackie Andantes) singing in more controlled, warmer tones than on the more uninhibited, exuberant original.

I love both versions, one for representing the 60s, the other for representing the 80s/90s.

I still feel Martha puts on a good show today. She's enthusiastic, her sense of rhythm and vitality is still there, and she loves to share with an audience which will respond to her.

I'd agree with anyone that there is a variance from performance to performance.

One thing I'd like to see and hear is Martha continue to perform her old favourites, but with new arrangements.

The existing ones have been part of the act for too long now, even down to the patter.

Part of the problem is that everyone who knows her is programmed, expecting to hear the songs a certain way.

I just wonder sometimes if the problem may be in trying too hard in making today's voice sound like yesterday.

Her repertoire,presented a new way, and more suited to Martha's more mature voice, is interesting to consider.

There's life in the 'old 'girl' yet, as The Crystal Method have clearly demonstrated.:)

jobeterob
01-10-2012, 12:43 PM
There's isn't a singer around that 40 years after their prime, is singing the way they were. Some are in better shape than others; perhaps some of those that have sang a lot like Aretha Franklin and Dionne Warwick are in worse shape. To me, one of the background singers, that now has a voice that is in pretty good shape for her age is Mary Wilson.

What I don't really understand is the way fans deny the obvious. One example is this Martha Reeves issue; it is so clear; 15 years ago during that Superbowl appearance, a 10 year old friend of my son's said "what was that?" and it was in reference to Martha Reeves; I will never forget it. It was a genuine "kid" comment ~ he had no idea who she was; there was no malice. But he was pretty surprised at what he heard.

Another example is the Andantes backgrounds; they are all over the place; sometimes, very early on in careers, the group got wiped and the Andantes got released.

Neither of these make any difference to how fans love the groups or the singers. But they are very real happenings.

randy_russi
01-10-2012, 05:04 PM
An auto company hired several 60s singers to revise one of their hits for its TV commercials. Martha did "Heat Wave"
and it was done to sound like the original record and she sounded very much the same. This was around 1986.
Can't recall the car, Mercury, I think, and I don't remember who all did a song, but I know Ronnie Spector also
did "Be My Baby" and a good job was done sounding like the original hit.
So, yes, Martha HAS sounded like she did on 1963's "Heat Wave" since the year 1970.

smark21
01-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Ronnie Spector also did a Be My Baby bit on the Eddie Money hit "Take Me Home Tonight" back in the mid 80's.

marv2
01-11-2012, 01:23 AM
Yes, her voice changed. I can listnen to this anytime. Great production, great soulful delivery:

http://soundcloud.com/the-crystal-method/the-crystal-method-ft-martha

I REALLY like that song and Martha's singing on it! How about that? Martha Reeves with a new recording in 2012! Life is good! "Life's Been Good to Me" as well, hehehehehehe! Eat ya hearts out! LOL!

marv2
01-11-2012, 01:30 AM
There's isn't a singer around that 40 years after their prime, is singing the way they were. Some are in better shape than others; perhaps some of those that have sang a lot like Aretha Franklin and Dionne Warwick are in worse shape. To me, one of the background singers, that now has a voice that is in pretty good shape for her age is Mary Wilson.

What I don't really understand is the way fans deny the obvious. One example is this Martha Reeves issue; it is so clear; 15 years ago during that Superbowl appearance, a 10 year old friend of my son's said "what was that?" and it was in reference to Martha Reeves; I will never forget it. It was a genuine "kid" comment ~ he had no idea who she was; there was no malice. But he was pretty surprised at what he heard.

Another example is the Andantes backgrounds; they are all over the place; sometimes, very early on in careers, the group got wiped and the Andantes got released.

Neither of these make any difference to how fans love the groups or the singers. But they are very real happenings.

One more time! The Andantes [[Motown's salaried studio session singers) were not on all of the Supremes recordings. The ones they were used on, they were used to back up Flo, Mary and Diane. Go read what Andy wrote again. Thank you!

marv2
01-11-2012, 01:31 AM

Mary Wilson's voice is in EXCELLENT shape! Better than at anytime in her 50 year career.

robbert
01-12-2012, 11:44 AM
OMG marv, let it be. When jobeterob states that Mary Wilson's voice is 'in pretty good shape'... that's a huge compliment for Mary. You really don't have to try and convince anyone that Mary's voice is in EXCELLENT shape, whether that is true or not.

marybrewster
01-12-2012, 12:25 PM
omg marv, let it be. When jobeterob states that mary wilson's voice is 'in pretty good shape'... That's a huge compliment for mary. You really don't have to try and convince anyone that mary's voice is in excellent shape, whether that is true or not.

thank you.

jobeterob
01-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Robbert................Mary's voice has held up probably better than any of the voices of her colleagues; there is no comparison between the change in her voice and the change in Martha Reeves or Lesley Gore's voices. There has been hardly any change in Mary's compared to those and others.

What Mary Wilson and I both object to is the people that slam her and Diana Ross and even other Supremes - no matter where they do it. There are people on Youtube named Big Bear, DetroitLives313 and Oceanbound that do this to one or the other. These people are now known to many.

And of course, as many of us know, they are among us. Their conduct is reprehensible and they should not call themselves fans of the Supremes or any Supreme.

jillfoster
01-12-2012, 12:30 PM

Rob... you keep pulling out that superbowl performance. I told you she had a fever of 102 while singing that, and she bent over the stair railing and threw up as she left the stage. It WAS a low point, but she has sounded much better than that of late, especially when she quit smoking. She quit I believe around 6 or 7 years ago, and yes, she does sound different... I'm not denying that... but I don't feel she sounds BAD... just different. People get old, you have to accept that, and it's true, very few singers from that day sound the same, with a few exceptions. Mary sounds great, like you said... but she certainly sounds DIFFERENT than she did in the 60's.

marv2
01-12-2012, 01:00 PM
OMG marv, let it be. When jobeterob states that Mary Wilson's voice is 'in pretty good shape'... that's a huge compliment for Mary. You really don't have to try and convince anyone that Mary's voice is in EXCELLENT shape, whether that is true or not.

You're right Robbert. I don't have to convince anyone because I have good ears and good taste! What do you have ?

loveblind
01-13-2012, 02:45 AM
This new review explains why Martha Reeves is still performing....
http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/2012/01/martha_reeves_dakota_concert_review.php

marv2
01-13-2012, 08:01 AM
What a great review! Thanks Loveblind!

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas
January 11, 2012
Dakota Jazz Club

As we pulled up for another night of amazing music at the Dakota Jazz Club the cab in front of us came to an abrupt stop.

"Wow! that's Martha!" I said to my date for the night, as she and a guy in a suit carrying boxes of CD's jumped out and into the club, escaping the cold, harsh winter night.

Shortly after the lights went down in the club for the first set, the announcer introduced the band and as the opening grooves started rolling, there she was again, the legendary Ms. Martha Reeves. This time she was in a gorgeous dress and with her two back up singing sisters, The Vandellas, busting right into Van Morrison's "Wild Nights".

As her sharp and syrupy voice carried with a fierce yet loving spirit, we knew we were in for a real treat, and it quickly set the tone for the evening as the great Motown Legend indeed had finally arrived.

"I'm a bit out of breath because I just got here." she said shaking off whatever nerves she had after rushing right into the show.

"We came all the way from Detroit tonight to make love to you with music." she said with a coy grin as the band broke into the opening melodies of "Come Get these Memories." The audience was ready to go from the beginning, and clapped along while finding their own groove as her now warmed up unforgettable soulful voice found it's home on the Dakota stage. Working the room like a true professional, Martha Reeves not only managed to captivate the crowd but got good portions of the typically sedate Minnesota audience up on their feet through hit after hit.

Aside from the celebration of this fantastic music, the theme of the night was indeed "Love". As is often the theme in Motown songs and the neverending list of hits from the classic Holland-Dozier-Holland catalog which helped give Ms. Reeves her lifelong success.

"Bring the lights down to sexy for me for a bit here." she commanded, before delivering an unforgettably rich rendition of "Love [[Make Me do Foolish Things)," showing off her gospel chops and knack for heartbreaking melodies that only Martha Reeves can render. "If you're dancing with a fella, ladies, you might get dipped during this one. I know it may have been a while since some y'all gotten dipped," she joked.

The band, [[made up of half Detroit players and half hired guns for the week from the Twin Cities, which included the famed Hornheads) treated the material with precision, giving the songs their proper respect as the audience couldn't get enough. For music that is now standard Americana, it wasn't lost on anyone that this was a rare chance in a lifetime to see such a famed performer and legend in such an intimate setting.

"I just turned 70 and you're telling me he's still never coming back?!" the never mic shy Ms. Reeves pleaded during a soulful version of "Jimmy Mack."

Martha thanked all of the "DJ's that ever played this song from the bottom of my heart," as things became extra charged when the opening of "[[Love Is Like a) Heatwave" chimed in. With the band carrying the groove and even the oldest in the crowd up on their feet dancing, Ms. Reeves asked everyone, "How's your love life? Is it hot, hot, hot?!"

Heating up the room all night for the what would ultimately be her trademark anthem, Martha Reeves thanked everyone in the crowd for coming with an extended "Dancing in the Street" that at times coalesced into other old school jams including Rufus Thomas' "Funky Chicken" and knocking everyone out with James Brown's "I Got that Feeling," making for truly one of the best shows this audience has ever witnessed.

After the set, Martha Reeves stepped out into the crowd with her crew, this time in a bathrobe, meeting fans and thanking everyone for coming before they would do it all again for the second set of the night.

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating, as much as there is great new music everyday and all over the world one should never sleep on living legends. Take advantage of the chances of a lifetime like the one Martha Reeves and the Vandellas provided last night and again for two sets tonight at the Dakota. You will not be disappointed, and your life will be changed forever.

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas play 2 sets again tonight at the Dakota Jazz Club, 7pm and 9pm. 612-332-1010

Critic's Bias: Having never seen anyone from the Motown era perform before, I was giddy for the opportunity to hear these treasured songs live from such a stellar performer.

The Crowd: Booming Grannies who never sat down, showing the ability of great old school music to warm the heart and souls of its listeners and to make them move and groove.

Overheard in the Crowd: "Where's Jimmy Mack? I think I just saw him in the can!"

Random Notebook Dump: Holy moly! One the best singers I'd seen in a long time, if not ever.

Setlist:
Wild Nights
Come and Get these Memories
Nowhere to Run
Love[[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)
Jimmy Mack
Watch Your Back
[[Love is like a) Heatwave
My Baby Loves Me
Dancing in the Street

Tags:
concert review, Dakota Jazz Club, Martha Reeves, setlist, The Vandellas

motony
01-13-2012, 02:23 PM
great review just like she got in Ocala, Fl. this past summer.Martha is 70 & a Legend, she has that star quality that can not be taught, she has always known how to communicate with the audiance...thats why Mr. Gordy had Diana Ross attend some of Marthas' LIVE shows in the 60's.

Roberta75
01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
great review just like she got in Ocala, Fl. this past summer.Martha is 70 & a Legend, she has that star quality that can not be taught, she has always known how to communicate with the audiance...thats why Mr. Gordy had Diana Ross attend some of Marthas' LIVE shows in the 60's.

Can you please post the review motony. Martha Reeves is one of my favorite singers and her voice s as good today as it was in the 1960's. Martha is a superstar.

motony
01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Roberta its at the bottom of page 2, loveblind posted the link but another poster , sorry I can't remember who , printed & showed the review.I'm not technical by any means,LOL

Roberta75
01-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Roberta its at the bottom of page 2, loveblind posted the link but another poster , sorry I can't remember who , printed & showed the review.I'm not technical by any means,LOL

Thanks montony. I found loveblind's link. What a fabulous review from the Dakota Club. You go Miss Reeves you beautiful songbird.

Here is a great article on Miss Reeves. http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/136970773.html

Thanks again.

Roberta

motony
01-13-2012, 04:44 PM
thank you, Roberta....Martha has always gotten good press.I do remember the tour Martha did with Mary Wells & James Brown in the 80's & both Martha & Mary said how wonderful James was to them during the tour.