PDA

View Full Version : Gay motown

test

tomato tom
08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Was going through my stuff, and found VALENTINO"S I WAS BORN THIS WAY on GAEIEE label U.K. 45. Later I found Carl Beans 12" [[no laffs please) on U.S. MOTOWN. Apart from [[obviously) The Dynamic Superiors, were / has there been any other Gay Motowners, [[out of the closet)? Ive heard LOTS rumours over the years,,,But......
Just wondered?....Oh, I know Leslie Gore came out some years back. I just thought this new thread might throw up some interseting discussion...Paulo XXXX

johnny_raven
08-30-2010, 03:52 PM
I think Reuben Howell was openly gay.

adrian
08-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Does it really matter?

:confused:

theboyfromxtown
08-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Adrian

At the time, if you were gay, it may have done. For me, I was desperately in need of a role model and I didn't have one. It was awful to hide it.....because in those days, I had to. There are some really sad stories from some that were willing to be out but they came a cropper. I chose to keep my mouth shut as much as possible.

If I can be really honest, if all SDF members were living in my local area, and knew me by face, I dare say my old habits would kick in and I wouldn't dare be as forward as I am on this site.

tomato tom
08-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, Im interested in social history, so to me, yes it does matter. If GAY entertainers can find it in themselves to be open about their sexuality, it helps the youngsters coming up to be able to accept who and what they are, and to deal with the crap that life throws at them when they dont / cant be Mr & Mrs with 2.5 children....Paulo XXXX

theboyfromxtown
08-30-2010, 04:28 PM
John

If he wasn't open then, he might well be now! HAHA

And would this by chance, be information gleaned from personal experience or as a voyeur!!

Nah, dont answer that..lol

Paulo...Sam Harris came out as well. My workmate bought all his picture sleeve 45's!

tomato tom
08-30-2010, 05:27 PM
I have a few Sam Harris 7" & 12", But not my type..LOL. I thought, when he did Over The Rainbow, he might be a friend of Dorothy. Now, Glen Hughes!!!!! , THATS MY TYPE. Sadly, like Bobby DeBarge, No longer with us...XXXX

copley
08-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Straight or gay what does it matter! It's not our business to speculate on the lives of others. In Motown's heyday it would have been commercial suicide to 'come out' [[what a stupid phrase). It's what's in the groove that counts.

nevertoolate
08-30-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't buy into the Western concept of either/or of "gay" or "straight"...there are 2 sexes and 3 genders...no matter who
sleeps with who...the concept of "gay" is very new in terms of world history...as far as Motown..who they slept with has
nothing to do with the music..

tomato tom
08-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Well, I think The Dynamic Superiors, Sylvester and so on would beg to differ.

captainjames
08-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Paulo
There were several Motowners that were "gay" but not all were entertainers. Some were writers and or producers but not all were out. Personally, some felt more comfortable being "in" than "out".

drlorne
08-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Nevertoolate: I think the latest thinking is sexuality and gender are both on a continuum. Some transgendered people need or don't need to have reassignment or partial -- there is a move away from one or the other. Sexuality was only liberated in this regard with the Kinsey studiesin 1948 and 53.
I agree it shouldn't matter, but in a world that is heteronormative, it's commendable when individuals stand up to say there are other ways of being, and in the end knowing about diversity makes us all better.
Lorne

johnny_raven
09-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Copley:

The discussion was about openly gay Motowners, not about speculation as to their sexuality.

topdiva1
09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
In both Tony Turner books - the writer eluded to many at Motown who may or may not have been gay. It was written in a way that you had to read between the lines. However I remember an article just before DELIVER US FROM TEMPTATION was released in which the late Eddie Kendricks did not deny that he was Turner's Sugar Daddy, although he never admitted that he himself was gay - however, the rumors flew. I'am just saying!!!!!

jillfoster
09-01-2010, 01:37 PM
In both Tony Turner books - the writer eluded to many at Motown who may or may not have been gay. It was written in a way that you had to read between the lines. However I remember an article just before DELIVER US FROM TEMPTATION was released in which the late Eddie Kendricks did not deny that he was Turner's Sugar Daddy, although he never admitted that he himself was gay - however, the rumors flew. I'am just saying!!!!!

Oh my... you know what thye say about those skinny dudes. Great to see you here, Topdiva, glad you made it! you bring lots of life to the proceedings.

topdiva1
09-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks my love for your kind words - and yes I know what they say about those skinny dudes - LOL !!!!

copley
09-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Copley:

The discussion was about openly gay Motowners, not about speculation as to their sexuality.

But it won't stop speculation as is already happening!

theboyfromxtown
09-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Topdiva and Jillfoster

You guys need to be brought up to date...it's now called skinnythick and don't dare google that, cos you might go blind

topdiva1
09-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Not wanting to go blind I will take your advice! However, I am sure there was much sexuality of all types going on at MOTOWN, as it is at any company. The subject of gay life inside the cloistered Motown, still conjures up much thought - the rumors have went around for years - naming names - of some of the biggest stars at Motown - it was also said that many where bi or simply just sexual. Tony Turner while not a Motown performer was openly gay - and that says a lot for the fairness in hiring of the super stars that he worked for.

copley
09-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Topdiva and Jillfoster

You guys need to be brought up to date...it's now called skinnythick and don't dare google that, cos you might go blind

Bloody hell John!

topdiva1
09-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Stop it I say!!!!! I do not believe Motown had any more gay employees than any other company. I do think that Gregg Jennings - who was the hairdresser to The Supremes -was the first openly gay employee at Motown. Motown was a creative place and Gordy was wise enough to employ those with style and talent in their fields regardless of sexual lifestyle. This I believe is a credit to Mr. Gordy.

jillfoster
09-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Topdiva and Jillfoster

I think I know the peson to which you refer... you filthy beast! You be good, John... Mary Whitehouse will rise from the grave and lecture you!

jillfoster
09-02-2010, 08:21 AM
One thing I love is when a soul record is sung by a gay singer, and it turns people's pre-conceived notions on their ear. Such as this one... listening to it, one wouldn't think it's a 19 year old, white, blonde, gay twinkie from Holland signing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ8itzZxJ3o&feature=related

topdiva1
09-02-2010, 08:50 AM
That dude WORKED that song!!! Thanks Jillfoster

144man
09-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Jillfoster
I like that a lot, but I've never heard of Tee Set. Did they have any hits outside Holland? Are they a pop group or a soul group?

soulster
09-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Jillfoster
I like that a lot, but I've never heard of Tee Set. Did they have any hits outside Holland? Are they a pop group or a soul group?

They has a U.S. pop hit in 1970 called "Ma Belle Amie". It's on volume 2 of Rhino's "Super Hits of the 70s: Have A Nice Day" CD.

nomis
09-03-2010, 10:45 PM
What was the name of that guy who Diana asked to dance on "Let the Sunshine" on Farewell? i read a long time ago that he was openly gay at the the time and a great friend of Berry and Diana - if i recall correctly he lived with Berry for a time as well....

jillfoster
09-03-2010, 11:36 PM
What was the name of that guy who Diana asked to dance on "Let the Sunshine" on Farewell? i read a long time ago that he was openly gay at the the time and a great friend of Berry and Diana - if i recall correctly he lived with Berry for a time as well....

I think the guy you are referring to is Billy Davis? Don't know anyhting about him, but I think Mary talked about goieng out with him and Pedro being jealous. Silly man.

jillfoster
09-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Jillfoster

Well, their early stuff is more soul oriented, like around 66-69, and then they were a little more pop in the early 70's, then got a little more rock later in the 70's. This one was from 1970, got banned on radio over here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rmzZMQd6nU

And this is another one of their soul songs... it's more blues, really... I think it's from 68:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhJk3TNe9CQ

If you like their soul stuff... their 1967 album "Emotion" is the one you want. It was released in deluxe format on CD in 1994, so it's sometimes pricey and hard to come by now... but i'm sure you can find it.

robb_k
09-04-2010, 12:13 AM
I wouldn't call that Blues-not in the slightest. It's basically a Soul/R&B song with an organ backing. I heard no Blues chords, whatsoever. I don't even hear a Blues influence in it.

jillfoster
09-04-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm not an expert on Blues... Robb.. so I defer to your judgement. Bubblegum is my domain! LOL

nomis
09-04-2010, 12:53 AM
Jill - yeah it was Billy Davis - I think that was one occasion Pedro didnt have to worry - Mary was in no danger hanging out with Billy,Diana used to hang out with him as well....

144man
09-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Thanks, Jill & Soulster. Tee Set seem an interesting group. I shall have to investigate.

topdiva1
09-04-2010, 09:18 AM
In today's entertainment world - their are likely many gay or bi SUPERSTARS male and female - who remain QUIETLY CLOSETED, and do not wish to become Gay Role Models/Icons, for today's youth - as they still live in fear of financial ruin for themselves and the record companies they record for. Luckly we do have some TOP entertainers that are out of the closet and can represent with class, and style.

Hopefully one day - none of this will matter.

Glenpwood
09-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Billy Davis later passed away from AIDS related complications. Berry told the story in his memoir that Billy told him before he died that he was going to do for Berry what the devil never has - leave his a**.....

midnightman
09-04-2010, 03:13 PM
^ That's the first I heard of this. Was it ever confirmed that it was AIDS-related complications? I don't remember much of what I read on his obituaries.

karralyn
09-04-2010, 05:43 PM
I am presently reading BG's book, "To Be Loved", and believe it or not I just read the part where BG states that Billie Davis did die of aids..
karralyn

gordy_hunk
09-05-2010, 04:24 AM
I can't remember the last time I read something which said, for example: "straight Diana Ross" or "Smokey Robinson, who is straight", or "Prince William, a straight man" or even "President Jimmy Carter, who has always been straight..." .. .etc..

As we don't usually declare that someone is straight, why are we determined to link being gay with someone? What business is it of ours if someone is straight, bi, a tranny, gay? Why are we so obsessed in discovering that someone is gay [[or bi)?

Although I can see why some would like positive role models in many areas [[there are currently several top football players in England who are gay, but not out to the media), it is usually the media who then manipulate and twist it for their own benefit [[such as the media story with the death of Stephen Gateley, which of course was discapable by the allegedly professional journalist).

The sooner we stop being fascinated with sexuality, the more likely homophobia will depart from our society.

adrian
09-06-2010, 07:51 AM
The sooner we stop being fascinated with sexuality, the more likely homophobia will depart from our society.

Amen to that!

midnightman
09-06-2010, 02:23 PM
I can't remember the last time I read something which said, for example: "straight Diana Ross" or "Smokey Robinson, who is straight", or "Prince William, a straight man" or even "President Jimmy Carter, who has always been straight..." .. .etc..

As we don't usually declare that someone is straight, why are we determined to link being gay with someone? What business is it of ours if someone is straight, bi, a tranny, gay? Why are we so obsessed in discovering that someone is gay [[or bi)?

Although I can see why some would like positive role models in many areas [[there are currently several top football players in England who are gay, but not out to the media), it is usually the media who then manipulate and twist it for their own benefit [[such as the media story with the death of Stephen Gateley, which of course was discapable by the allegedly professional journalist).

YES! YES! YES! lol I agree with you.

144man
09-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Being openly gay hasn't done the career of multi-talented John Barrowman any harm. Whether as an actor, compere or singer, he never seems to be off our screens.

copley
09-07-2010, 06:18 AM
Being openly gay hasn't done the career of multi-talented John Barrowman any harm. Whether as an actor, compere or singer, he never seems to be off our screens.

Unfortunately - lol!

westgrandboulevard
09-07-2010, 06:41 AM
I like Barry Humphries' quote...

"There is no compliment anyone could pay John Barrowman, that he has not already paid himself..."

copley
09-07-2010, 07:06 AM
I like Barry Humphries' quote...

"There is no compliment anyone could pay John Barrowman, that he has not already paid himself..."

Love it, and so very true. JB loves himself!

144man
09-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Very funny, but partly justified. Who else could have carried off and made acceptable the heroic role of pansexual Captain Jack Harkness in Doctor Who and in Torchwood? That has definitely broken new ground. How long before there's a new superhero?: Batman...Aquaman...Superman...Iron Man...Barrowman!!! :-)

robbert
09-09-2010, 07:39 PM
The name of the blond Tee Set leadsinger was Peter Tetteroo. I worked for EMI in those days and happened to know the members of the band. The dark haired keyboard player was Hans Van Eijk and he was openly gay, too.
It was fun to sometimes hang out with those guys, we all were young, me being around 20 and EVERYTHING [[well... almost) was going our way in the late sixties and early seventies.

In Holland much was possible: the gay emacipation movement was at its peak. I am proud to have participated in that movement.
Now, some 40 years later, I am doing it again: fighting bigotry, hatred and what have you against GLBTQ people. esp. the male ones who came out at a later age, often after a married life with children.
Years ago I got myself accustomed to the fact that minorities always have to keep fighting for their rights... this will never end as long as the heteronorm rules.

jillfoster
09-11-2010, 04:17 AM
The name of the blond Tee Set leadsinger was Peter Tetteroo. I worked for EMI in those days and happened to know the members of the band. The dark haired keyboard player was Hans Van Eijk and he was openly gay, too.
It was fun to sometimes hang out with those guys, we all were young, me being around 20 and EVERYTHING [[well... almost) was going our way in the late sixties and early seventies.

In Holland much was possible: the gay emacipation movement was at its peak. I am proud to have participated in that movement.
Now, some 40 years later, I am doing it again: fighting bigotry, hatred and what have you against GLBTQ people. esp. the male ones who came out at a later age, often after a married life with children.
Years ago I got myself accustomed to the fact that minorities always have to keep fighting for their rights... this will never end as long as the heteronorm rules.

Wow... Robbert, I didn't know Hans was gay as well, he slipped right under my gaydar! I guess we can assume there was a wink and a nudge in the lyrics of the song "Mary Mary [[Take me across the water)"?

topdiva1
09-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Stay on Track posters - we are talking GAY MOTOWN here!!!

jillfoster
09-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Oh, darlin.... our threads are glorious streams of consciousness, flowing through the windmills of your mind!

blueskies
09-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Hmmm....stream of consciousness writing.....didn't Gertrude Stein do that, too? Oops....off topic.

robbert
09-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Is Phil Collins' new project on topic enough? See the other thread...