PDA

View Full Version : TvOne's Unsung forgetting Jackie Wilson - The Greatest!

test

ladynostalgic
08-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Hello to Everyone

I've browsed this site for some time and finally decided to post a message. I've noticed the channel TVOne has been stories on unsung artists of the 60's and 70's. Most of the artists who've been featured in my opinion aren't truly unsung, their more remembered then the artist I feel who is truly unsung....Jackie Wilson. I wonder why I've never seen a documentary or story done on him. He's the greatest entertainer of all time. One of Michael Jackson's biggest influences, yet there's never been anything done on him. Is it because he had too much drama in his life? Family and wives aren't willing to talk? Are people fearful of talking because of his mob connection? His granddaughter is a good friend of mine and we often talk about why there hasn't been anything done. Should a petition be started or something? How do TVOne pick and chose who to feature? Today's generation needs to know about the man who was the first entertainment superstar out of Detroit and the man who was the first greatest entertainer in the world before Michael Jackson.

splanky
08-31-2010, 09:12 AM
Jackie Wilson as a singer and entertainer was tremendous and a great influence on
a number of artists including Ron Isley, Al Green and the late Phillipe Wynne
but Jackie Wilson, the man was a different story. Drama would be an understatement.
Biographies have been written about him and a play was done on him a few years back
but the pictures they painted were not exactly pretty ones. I'll leave it at that...

catwoman55
08-31-2010, 01:27 PM
AFAIK, if you want to see someone featured on "Unsung", you can contact TVOne and give them feedback on their website. Before this upcoming season, they had polls up where they had choices of people/bands to vote for.

Cat

positivesoul
08-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Jackie Wilson was my favorite entertainer as a very young boy... I remember it quite well! I also recall with joy seeing him at the Uptown Theater back then. Fortunately I am able to separate the artist and his skills from the individual possessing the talent. Even for me though, it would likely be a little rough seeing a scene of him raping Patti LaBelle backstage at the same theater with his henchmen holding her down as she alleges.

ladynostalgic
09-01-2010, 12:47 AM
I guess Jackie's life was so outrageous that people just don't want to touch it? I know he probably wasn't as great as a person as his talent, but he shouldn't be overlooked/unsung for his tremendous talent because of his personal life. There were many guys [[David Ruffin, James Brown, Marvin Gaye) who did some major wrongs or lived wild, but their not unsung and their personal lives aren't overshadowing their talents and achievements. In spite of whatever they did, people still enjoy their talent, write stories on him, and celebrate them. The same should apply to Jackie Wilson!

Jackie's wild, outrageous life would make a great movie, but not even a documentary on his life and career has been done. Just about every artist at least get a documentary. He played hard but went down just as hard. His life sadly overshadows his talents and contributions to the industry. The movie on Frankie Lymon made him popular again. It introduced him to a new generation. His life was wild, many things were left out of the movie, but the movie introduced people to his talent at least.

Unfortunately, Patti Labelle isn't the only woman who claimed that Jackie sexually assaulted her. There's a woman by the name of Alexxys Tylor, who's sort of popular on YouTube, who claims Jackie asaulted her mother, and she's the product of that assault. She looks very much like him. I wonder why a man who had so many women that did want him, have to force himself upon other women. I think if a movie was ever done, they would leave out these type of scenes.